Start by marking “The Backyard Goat: An Introductory Guide to Keeping and Enjoying Pet Goats, from Feeding and Housing to Making Your Own Cheese” as Want to Read:

A beginner's guide for those who want to keep goats as pets or to produce milk, cheese, and fiber.

Published April 16th 2011 by Storey Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Backyard Goat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Backyard Goat

The BEST beginning goat farmer book I have read! After having dairy goats for 5 years now, I have perhaps graduated beyond the beginner dairy goat books to know enough if they are good starter books or not. Sue Weaver covers it all in this book beginning with where goats originated and including breeds of goats I honestly haven’t even heard of before. She uses photo’s, drawings, and side notes to incorporate as much information in a book as possible.
She covers information on milk goats, fiber g
Mar 30, 2014 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely think it'd be fun to have a goat after reading this book. I still feel lacking in information though, like what a good shelter would look like or have, where do I buy food (some guesses here) and how much could I expect it to be (certainly easy to find out). Also gotta figure out which of my friends might be up for some goat-sitting when I'm out of town, which may be the biggest hurdle...
Jennifer Shilley
A good resource.
A fantastic book for anyone thinking about (or finding themselves with) a new goat. This book is geared much more towards the pet goat and includes chapters not only on milking, kidding, health, and general keeping, but also on packing, fiber, and harness goats. A great easy-to-follow book that gives you the important information without any fuss and keeps it interesting with sidebars that include tidbits of mythology, history and trivia.
Dec 10, 2013 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! I don't own goats yet, but I plan to, and have read lots of books on the topic. This was the best. It was so thorough, well-explained, and made me feel closer to being somewhat ready for the challenge!! The author's love for goats shone through and made it an enjoyable read.
Bonnie Roman
Jun 05, 2011 Bonnie Roman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great first book to read about goats. Everything from the history of goats, to stories of goats in the military and goat fairy tales, to breed characteristics, to packgoats. Highly recommended for anyone just starting to think about getting goats.
Alisa Kester
If you're wondering if you might want a backyard goat, this is a good place to start. Covers the basics on pretty much everything you might like to know.

And the verdict for me? No. I will not be getting goats.
May 29, 2014 Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love goats, and this book was a great daydream fuel reading experience. Lots of sensible information, and some really cute photography.
Nov 01, 2012 hermione rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative with tons of tips that help me with my goats
Apr 02, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much great information!
Corree rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Cyn rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2016
chowie marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2016
Emily F.
Emily F. marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Darla marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
AF marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Kathaleen Stapleford
Kathaleen Stapleford rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Samantha Rockwell
Samantha Rockwell is currently reading it
Aug 07, 2016
Leslie Brand
Leslie Brand marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Denise Dupree
Denise Dupree marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Denise marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Erin Laure
Erin Laure marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Erica rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Anne added it
Jun 09, 2016
Therry marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Eden Cowart
Eden Cowart rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Dave marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
  • City Goats: The Goat Justice League's Guide to Backyard Goat Keeping
  • Backyard Farming On An Acre (More Or Less)
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • The Weekend Homesteader: A Twelve-Month Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats, 4th Edition: Breeds, Care, Dairying, Marketing
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
  • The Nourishing Homestead: One Back-to-the-Land Family's Plan for Cultivating Soil, Skills, and Spirit
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way
  • Modern Homestead: Grow, Raise, Create
  • Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living
  • Farm Anatomy: Curious Parts and Pieces of Country Life
  • Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard
  • Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century
  • Homegrown Honey Bees: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Beekeeping Your First Year, from Hiving to Honey Harvest
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Pigs: Care/Facilities/Management/Breed Selection
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century

“the danger factor isn’t enough, consider this: during rut, scent glands located near a buck’s horns (or where his horns used to be) secrete incredibly strong-scented, greasy musk. When a buck rubs his forehead on a person or object, he’s spreading his scent. Bucks become very vocal during rut; they’re pretty hard to ignore. They also spray thin streams of urine along their bellies, on their front legs and chests, and into their mouths and beards. Bucks also twist themselves and grasp their penises in their mouths. They sometimes masturbate on their bellies and front legs and then sniff” 0 likes