Start by marking “How to Rock Climb!” as Want to Read:
How to Rock Climb!

How to Rock Climb!

How to Rock Climb!, now in its fourth edition, is the world's top instructional book on climbing. All the fundamentals--from ethics to getting up the rock--are presented in John Long's classic style. Revised and updated to reflect the modern standards of equipment, technique, and training methods, this guide includes sections on face climbing; crack climbing; ropes, anchor ...more
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 240 pages
Published November 1st 2003 by FalconGuides (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about How to Rock Climb!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Rock Climb!

Apr 22, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: climbing
Very solid reference book. Not advised for the complete beginner, but a helpful supplement to professional guidance and training for the intermediate climber making the transition from gym to outdoors or from seconding to leading.

Almost time for it to be updated, though.
Aug 11, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it
I read this book around two decades ago. I own the second edition and Long is up to at least his 4th edition. If you're at all compelled Up, this is a good place to start. I read it in preparation for Outward Bound and it paid for itself. On that trip, the instructors introduced us to self-arrest techniques using an ice-axe. We would be climbing in snowfields in the Sangre De Christo so proper safety was imperative. As an East-Coast child of a cultivated suburb, I'd never done anything like self ...more
Cathy Wood
Jan 21, 2016 Cathy Wood rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, climbing
Most things were explained quite well while some others were given no explanation whatsoever. The second to last chapter was about training and explained toproping, while in my opinion should have been one of the first things in the book. The majority of the book just served to make me nervous about getting my appendages stuck in a crack and bewildered by gear.
John Montgomery
Jan 19, 2016 John Montgomery rated it liked it
Good basic overview - unfortunately the library copy was defective with 16 pages missing with incorrect pages in their place. Made for frustrating reading!
Clarissa Yablinsky
Excellent reference for the class I am taking.
Jan 20, 2013 Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have only been a gym climber but this book just made me want to get outside! The concepts were well explained and safety is stressed. Speaking as a novice, this is a very well organized and a truly helpful resource to begin climbing.

One problem is that the terminology may be a little difficult for the absolute beginner. Useful as an addition to, be never a replacement for, professional instruction and safe practice.
Oct 01, 2007 Lmcwil rated it it was ok
Shelves: reference
A classic rock-climbing instruction book, it's one you should at least take a look at. I borrowed it from my cousin and found it to be informative and well-written, but more than a little dry, and lacking in pictures. I'd snatch it up in a second if I saw it at the used bookstore for cheap, but I gave it back to my cousin before I'd even finished it. It's worthwhile, but not my favorite.
Jason Koppe
Jan 11, 2015 Jason Koppe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: climbing
once you know you like climbing, this is a great first book on climbing. it covers gear, face climbing, crack climbing, sport climbing, trad climbing, self-rescue, rappelling, training.

it's a nice reference manual for basics, too.

if you're not very interested in climbing, you might find it tedious to get through.
Aaron Simon
Mar 21, 2016 Aaron Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, instructional book. This is a great read for the beginning rock climber to the professional. It teaches the basic, essential techniques that you need to stay alive. I will undoubtedly reference it and reread it many times in the future. Reading it always made me excited and ready to go out and climb.
Nov 23, 2009 Sam rated it liked it
This is a good basic reference covering the basics of every aspect and style of Rock Climbing. It gives a nice survey of everything an intermediate climber might want to know, but I didn't walk away from reading it feeling like I learned anything terribly important.
Dariusz Nawojczyk
Dec 06, 2014 Dariusz Nawojczyk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some say this book has got some major mistakes in terms of the climbing techniques and rules. I hope not! I liked the way it is written: the proper distance of the author to himself and his sense of humor makes it not only the handbook but also great story.
Oct 24, 2009 Mike rated it it was amazing
Excellent basics. Perhaps a bit dated at this point. It talks about how women's harnesses may soon be a reality when in fact they've been around for a long time. Most of the stuff is fairly up to date since good climbing safety doesn't really change
Jan 13, 2016 Aron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: climbing
This is more of a reference manual than something that's intended to be read cover to cover, but I pulled it off anyway due to my current obsession with improving my climbing. Well laid out. I'll be keeping this one around.
Jan 02, 2009 Paulie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great info, but all the misspellings are annoying, especially considering the fact that I read the 3rd Edition, so you would think most of those would have been corrected by then.
Jan 10, 2013 Mary added it
Amos and Coco make me giggle and I officially do not appreciate sandbaggers!
A really helpful and comprehensive guide to get you started.
Feb 11, 2008 Mandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: climbers
Shelves: climbing-guides
It's by John I need to say more?
Dec 01, 2008 Kendal rated it it was amazing
Check those knots!
Josh Boyles
Josh Boyles marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Akladnig rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Vladimir and Ashley Skokov
Vladimir and Ashley Skokov rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Annie is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2016
Marie marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Rustin Roundy
Rustin Roundy rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Marion marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Arun Vasireddy
Arun Vasireddy rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Brenton Wheaton
Brenton Wheaton rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Nyla added it
Aug 25, 2016
Jordan  Bayles
Jordan Bayles rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
  • Training for Climbing: The Definitive Guide to Improving Your Climbing Performance
  • The Rock Warrior's Way: Mental Training for Climbers
  • High Infatuation: A Climber's Guide to Love and Gravity
  • All Fourteen 8,000ers
  • Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills
  • Climbing Free: My Life in the Vertical World
  • Rock Climbing Anchors: A Comprehensive Guide (Mountaineers Outdoor Expert Series)
  • Everest: The West Ridge
  • Be Expert with Map and Compass: The Complete Orienteering Handbook
  • Mountain Light: In Search of the Dynamic Landscape
  • Mountain Madness
  • Travels of William Bartram

John Long is an American rock climber and author.
More about John Long...