Start by marking “Football for Dummies, USA Edition” as Want to Read:
Football for Dummies, USA Edition

Football for Dummies, USA Edition (For Dummies)

The fun and easy way to tackle football basics and enjoy America's most popular sportSince the last edition of "Football For Dummies," new stadiums have been built, new stars have ascended, and records have been broken. This new edition has been revised to reflect today's game, giving football fans up-to-the-minute information on all the rules and regulations, positions, p ...more
Published May 12th 2011 by For Dummies (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Football for Dummies, USA Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Football for Dummies, USA Edition

Cierra Grove
Throughout the book I was flipping back and forth because the author didn't explain things in the correct order. I learned a lot about football, but the learning process was inefficient... Could have been much more streamlined. There has to be a better book out there!
Jessica
Jan 29, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those wanting to know more about football
My goal for the past 8 years of my marriage has been to understand the ever-popular American game of Football (appropriate goal, since I married to a Football guru who now wants to go in to sports orthopedics)! My next goal, after checking this book out a month ago, was to have it read by the Super bowl. I'm on page 180 of a 400 page book. Time to knuckle down. It reads a bit like a dictionary and is giving me more info than I think I need to enjoy the game, however, it makes me look smart when ...more
Beth
Jul 13, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fueled by the community's enthusiasm in support of Tim Tebow last season, I jumped on the bandwagon and became a football fan - a Broncos fan. It wasn't long before it was more than excitement; I wanted to learn more about the game.

I love this book because it's easy to understand, humorous at times, and a handy reference. I learned a lot leafing through it throughout last football season, even impressing my uber-athletic sister with some of my newly acquired knowledge. It covers the basics, posi
Joanne Zienty
Jan 25, 2015 Joanne Zienty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent resources for those who want to learn more about the game which so many people spend their Friday nights, Saturday afternoons and most of Sundays watching (also Monday and Thursday nights). For instance, I never realized that a range of jersey numbers were designated for certain positions. (I learned a lot more than that, but that was definitely a duh moment.) Liked the writing style, too. Very accessible.
SusanwithaGoodBook
This year my Aggies had an amazing season and I decided I wanted to understand the game better. I've watched the Aggies for years, so I knew most of the basics, but this was a pretty good intro to the plays and strategies of the game. It's a little dry but informative, although there was a lot I didn't really care or need to know. I'll probably continue to use it as a reference from time to time.
Jesse Hudson
Some good nuggets, lots of fluff

This book probably has a little something for everybody, but catering to such a wide audience means that often, too much of the material is irrelevant to the reader.
Christen
Oct 09, 2014 Christen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I was mostly interested in the "penalty" section and it had great graphics and drawings of the hand signals used by the refs. But there is no way I could remember them all - I'd like a pocket edition with just those drawings , etc.
Jillian
Sep 09, 2016 Jillian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to
Provides a good base overview of football. I am a football fan and knew the basics but wanted to learn about formations, different positions, and play calling. I got that from this book and a bunch more. Definitely a great place to start for someone wanting to learn about football. Only downside is that at least one rule seems to change from year to year so the book has some outdated information. There's also some chapters dedicated to fantasy football, history, best players, best teams, etc tha ...more
Michelle
Oct 24, 2014 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I tried.
I read a baseball for dummies book not long ago and learned a ton. I thought I'd find a football one too.
This is not for "dummies". This is for people who have atleast some understanding of the game. I'm not one of those people, and when my husband who actually does understand football confirmed my thought that this is written for people who somewhat understand the game, I decided to stop where I was at.
I made it about 100 pages, I learned a little bit.
Chris
Nov 15, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this book because I've been enjoying football more and more over the past few years, but there's so much I don't know. Never having played the game, I've always been in the dark about many of the positions and strategies. As humbling as it is to read a "for dummies" book, and especially for all my goodreads friends to find out about it, the truth is that I really enjoyed it, and I definitely learned a lot.
Mackay
Jan 10, 2013 Mackay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
Read it just for fun, hoping to delve deeper. I guess it helps, but some things seem overexplained, but still superficial, and some things never get explained at all (onside kick, play action pass...). Yeah, well. It wasn't what this fan needed (maybe I'm not a dummy?), but it has useful diagrams and is accessible.
Andres C
Oct 24, 2016 Andres C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the book "Football for Dummies" the most I enjoyed is how it teaches you all the positions they play and all the rules. I actually found out some new rules. College football and the NFL are different. They both have different rules. I loved reading this book. It teaches me stuff I didn't even know it existed.
Joel Ungar
Sep 29, 2013 Joel Ungar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I learned more about football than from any other book I've ever read about football. Actually, I don't think I ever read another book about football.

Now I know what the strong side is, what the difference is between a cornerback and safety (I think) and a lot more.

Very easy to read.
Tana Gibson
Nov 12, 2009 Tana Gibson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You can only understand this book if you already understand football or you care way more than I do. Maybe you need to watch football to understand it. I still can't explain what a saftey is. I was trying to find insight into my husband's fascination with the sport. I guess some dummies can't be taught.
Elly Zupko
Mar 04, 2008 Elly Zupko rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love football but just don't get some of it
This book really is for Dummies - it prejudges the readers as having absolutely NO reasonable knowledge, but then glosses over complicated concepts. Uneven. But I have learned some interesting facts and figured out some things I didn't understand before. Worth it for the table of penalties.
Henrik Havighorst
Jan 29, 2013 Henrik Havighorst rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid overview that offers more information than anyone could wish for when looking for an introduction into football. The structure makes it easy to pick out specific topics you would like to learn more about and the appendix and glossary is a great help too.
Dani
A generally clear overview of the sport, I didn't like that they started telling you about fouls and ref hand signals before they even told you about the positions and what was supposed to happen. I feel like the first chapter should have been last.
Jennie
Jan 14, 2013 Jennie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Easy to both read straight through, or to find specific information. I found answers to all my questions, and then decided to read the book beginning to end. I learned a lot, at found it entertaining and informative.
Claire Gilligan
Feb 28, 2014 Claire Gilligan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Does an excellent job at its stated intention: giving a clear overview of the game of football. Detailed and thorough but not overwhelming, with a helpful glossary at the back. I will continue to happily recommend this to anyone who wants to understand the basics of the game and its culture!
Barb
Oct 18, 2011 Barb rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I consider myself pretty familiar with football and I got this book so I could learn more about formations. It has a lot of interesting historical info, but much of it is confusing. And really -- does anyone, besides someone who wants to be a ref, need to know ALL of the hand signals?
Jen Sunderland
Nov 15, 2015 Jen Sunderland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When your kid is a cheerleader and you're a single mother with a rudimentary grasp of football, this book is a lifesaver.
Bird
Jan 30, 2008 Bird rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gad, how dummy do you have to be to get anything out of this book? He notes that the yard markers are a yard apart. I think he picked this up from some third grader's book report.
bigbonton
My first foray into the "Dummies" series. From a dollar bin, I got my moneys worth. Learned a few things and passed it on to a high school mother so she can cheer properly.
Ay Gough
Sep 16, 2010 Ay Gough is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Laugh away. I need all the help I can get.
Marc Zirogiannis
Great Resource. One criticism. I looked up "on side kick" to see the rules surrounding it and not one word on it.
Sep 01, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I still don't get football. I'll just clap when the other parents clap!
Heather
Jan 06, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good overview for beginners like me who want to know all the basics, the plays, and the teams.
Christopher Feyrer
Great book for beginners, and of course the Packers are going to the Superbowl now that I'm educated! Whoohoo.
Jo
Sep 05, 2007 Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Football fans
Shelves: sportsrelated
Like most Dummie books, I use this as a refrence to enjoy the game more.
Laura Cushing
Feb 04, 2016 Laura Cushing rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good guide to understanding football. Increased my understanding of the game.
  • Baseball For Dummies
  • Chess For Dummies
  • Cooking Basics for Dummies
  • Hockey for Dummies
  • iPod & iTunes For Dummies
  • Creating Web Pages For Dummies
  • Get Your Own Damn Beer, I'm Watching the Game!: A Woman's Guide to Loving Pro Football
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Organizing your Life
  • The Value in the Valley: A Black Woman's Guide Through Life's Dilemmas
  • The Cool Girl's Guide to Knitting
  • The Cheater's Guide to Baseball
  • Poker For Dummies
  • Praying for Gil Hodges: A Memoir of the 1955 World Series and One Family's Love of the Brooklyn Dodgers

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Accounting for Dummies