Start by marking “The Bourne Betrayal (Jason Bourne, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Bourne Betrayal (Jason Bourne, #5)

The Bourne Betrayal (Jason Bourne #5)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,470 Ratings  ·  277 Reviews
Two months after Jason Bourne's second wife has dies, he learns that Martin Lindros, his only friend in the CIA, went missing in Africa where he was tracking shipments of yellowcake uranium. After Bourne finds him, Martin returns to the U.S., but only after he persuades Bourne to go to Odessa to penetrate the clandestine world of terrorist money men there.

In Odessa, Bourne
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published May 1st 2008 by Hachette Audio (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Bourne Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bourne Betrayal

Lisa
Nov 23, 2008 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book sucked harder than a Hoover.
I love the Bourne Identity movies, and I figured Robert Ludlum is a famous author, so I figured this would be a fun read. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that Ludlum's name is just put on top in big letters because he or his estate own the copyright to the Bourne series, and this book was written by (in small print) Eric Van Lustbader. So I still don't know how good a writer Ludlum is.
What I do know is that Lustbader doesn't know squat about character devel
James
Jun 29, 2013 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bourne completists
Lustbader manages to write both compelling prose and utter shite at the same time. You could call him the Dan Brown of the thriller world; if Brown hadn't already got that title sewn up himself. Since Robert Ludlum's death, Lustbader has been at the helm of the Bourne series of novels. Taking the original trilogy and, some might say, milking it for whatever he and the Ludlum estate can get. This book continues in that vein and feels a lot like Lustbader had the beginnings of a great idea for a s ...more
Jerome
Jun 18, 2012 Jerome rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Characters are bland and undeveloped, if at all. Action sequences don't make sense. Overuse of gee-wiz technology that doesn't exist. Events happen (a good guy gets tied up and beaten) which weren't covered in the prior paragraphs.

If you can get past the helicopters shooting down MiG-29s and Bourne in a commercial jet dogfighting with Iranian fighters (I'm not making this stuff up), you still have to deal with the incredible metamorphosis that has happened to Bourne himself between the Bourne Le
Ben Jackson
Sep 24, 2008 Ben Jackson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Enemies
This is in my bottom 10 books of all time. Poorly conceived, written, edited, and packaged. The plot makes about as much sense as a colonoscopy to diagnose strep throat. It's full of continuity, spelling, and grammatical errors and about as exciting as golf.
Ollie
Oct 03, 2012 Ollie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Below is a review I wrote and posted on Barnes & Noble where I purchased this book for my Nook. It still stands as my review.

Despite misgivings and numerous attempts at reading Lustbader in the past, I decided to read his Bourne books solely because of the subject - Jason Bourne. I hoped Lustbader had improved his craft in the last few years and that this series would be good. I was greatly dismayed from the start when I realized he had completely set aside the original and true character of
Kristen
If you love non-stop action thrillers, you'll enjoy this action-adventure thriller. With non-stop action, this novel takes you all over the world from Washington D.C. to Africa to Eastern Asia. I remember seeing the first Bourne movies years ago and on TV--now this propels us to post-9/11 world with terrorists and intricate plotlines. I've been wrapped up into a fast paced world. We can see Bourne struggle with his memory and how he copes with his loss. My heart sank with him. But we see him nev ...more
Deborah Balsham
It was ridiculous in the spirit of James Bond and Jack Bauer. Hey! Look at that! Jason Bourne, James Bond, and Jack Bauer all have the same initials!

Since I'm not likely to experience adrenaline rushes from my own escapades, I'm happy to get them from movies, TV, and books. The book kept me interested. Since I've been mired down reading several books, lately, I appreciate that.
Timi Ogunbekun
Jul 06, 2014 Timi Ogunbekun rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Bourne Trilogy ( Robert Ludlum's greatest work) was one of the best clandestine-thriller series I've ever had the privilege of reading. Normally the idea of a book series chronicling the adventures of a schizophrenic/amnesiac assassin would be absurd, but Ludlum made it work. He made readers connect, not only with Jason Bourne and his alter-ego, but every other character that was a part of Bourne's Life. He made you want to follow Bourne on his journey through confusion, paranoia, frustratio ...more
Edward
Dec 13, 2009 Edward rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I often will not even bother putting a three star book up on goodreads. I don't particularly like to give bad reviews, and a three star rating to me means that there are some pretty significant weaknesses.

However, Lustbader's early stuff is some of my favorite fiction, and I will probably keep giving him a chance unless he goes the full Tom Clancy. I did think his recent First Daughter was better.

So, what was good about the book. The plot was interesting and wellpaced, especially the second half
Judy
Feb 17, 2012 Judy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A truly laughable plot line. Although, I'm sure those that love a good spy novel and/or the Bourne series will disagree with me. It really should be kept in the "Fantasy" genre. The characters are able to assume each other's identities with the greatest of ease right down to the last detail. The good guys are able to become the bad guys and vice versa. Not only are enemies able to walk the walk of one another but even their voices are amazingly counterfeited.
Sorry, but I don't buy it. The techn
Ken Gorry
Oct 10, 2012 Ken Gorry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought no one could Kill Jason Bourne, so well done Eric Van Lustbader. Jason Bourne is now dead to me. The villain is boring. and somehow has built a bond style evil base in the Afghanistan mountains. for those of you who don't know the geography of the area it cant be traversed by a motorised transport. Yet somehow our villain managed not only to build a secret base but also managed to get an elevator and a tarmac runway. This is just one of numerous ludicrous scenarios Van Lustbader serves ...more
Sean Kelly
Aug 14, 2015 Sean Kelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, wow. Just... wow. I read the 4th Jason Bourne novel because I enjoyed the first three and, hey, it's the summer so why not? This one? Terrible. F. What was so terrible, you may ask? Let's start with dialogue: completely beyond credibility. Plot line: really? This wouldn't even pass for a screen-play, unless maybe an Austin Powers sequel, it was so laughable. Character development: at this point, most readers don't need to be beaten over the head with re-hashing Bourne history. Some explanati ...more
Joel
Nov 17, 2008 Joel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
If this were a video game it would be rated M [Strong language, Extreme Violence, some sex, drugs]

The body count was high and it seems that every character is either an assassin, murderer, or both, so I had a hard time deciding whether or not a particular character was a "good guy".

Getting past all that, this was an exciting read. Each time the author jumped between characters I wanted to stay with the one he was talking about because I was so engaged.
Tyler Alm
Jun 03, 2014 Tyler Alm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was both good and bad at the same time. If I read this book without comparing this sequel to the prior stories, it was good. I think that the prior stories were so good that this book let me down because it was not nearly as good as the other ones. I had higher hopes for this book, but it was still entertaining to read.

The reason why I say this is because the book was indeed very action packed, but it felt like there was no progression. It felt like the book was just action scene after
Chris Hughes
Nov 30, 2015 Chris Hughes rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Bourne Betrayal is a really bad book by Eric van Lustbader.He puts Robert Ludlums names in vain. In my opinion the book looked like a script lay out more than a book.He made Bourne look like an idiot constantly putting him in situations that Bourne would never get into.On top of that the plot of the book is transparent you can see what is going to happen and how it is going to end.I feel that Lustbader bit off more than he can chew trying to continue a really good franchise.Another thing is ...more
Christopher Hernandez
So now I have caught up with the series, recovered from the "let down" of the third book, crossed the juncture between author differences, and accepted the merging of the movie “ridiculously damn near super human not quite believable” Bourne Bad Arse Mother F-er (BAMF) fictional character.
The Bourne Betrayal seems to go a little further into outrageous fiction. Jason Bourne has all but taken over (so long David Webb), his family is conveniently written out of the plot, and we now have another Mu
Matt
Jan 23, 2013 Matt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Eric van Lustbader puts out a decent book, filled with suspense and intrigue and uses that 21st century buzz plot, the fight against terrorists seeking to take over parts of the US. It has all the thrills you could want, some very descriptive fight scenes and even some graphic attacks that leave you wincing and wishing you had a doctor on hand. Fairly decent dialogue and the book flows fairly well. It is.... WAIT A MINUTE!! This is one of the Bourne series. Scratch the above and keep reading!

MIS
Bob
Nov 25, 2009 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PB- Another chapter in the Bourne saga win which Jason still in disfavor with the head of CI is tasked with finding Martin Landros, the Deputy Director and his mentor. Jason is still having memory problems and is sent to a psychologist in an attempt to clear them up. At the same time the CI task force Typhon is tasked to track down some sophisticated triggers in the hands of a large and shadowy terrorist group headed by a man called "Fadi" who has a private agenda regarding Jason. There are seve ...more
Ramakrishnan M
Robert Ludlum wrote 3 classic books on the “Jason Bourne” character. After his sad demise, Eric Van Lustbader has been writing some tales featuring the legendary Bourne.Continuing on earlier tales, Bourne is of course retired and living a simple academic life. He has also lost his wife Marie. His latest addition to miseries is the news that his friend, Martin Lindros, has gone missing in action. Bourne has to track him down, break down a Islamic fundamentalist terrorist network, prevent a nuclea ...more
Apr 16, 2013 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow - if an author can't even get CONTINUITY right, then what else could they possibly get right?

Turns out nothing. So, the Bourne Betrayal is a vacuous, ridiculous, vapid glassy-eyed mooncalf masquerading as a blockbuster in literary form.

See, there was this scene where Bourne had "disarmed" a woman [who was, clinging to him as they speed around on a Harley] who held a knife to his throat. Um, then she strangles him. Throat fetish maybe? I think at this point she helpfully deflects a shotgun bl
Josh
Jun 25, 2008 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dad
Shelves: espionage
Definitely not of the Ludlum caliber, but not too shabby. A little bit less contrived than the previous Van Lustbader Bourne effort. Unfortunately, the last one was one of the most obvious and contrived stories I've ever read, so a little bit less is still pretty contrived.

The problem that anyone trying to follow in Ludlum's footstep was going to face is that Ludlum's stories always had the feeling of reality to them. A feeling that this could, even if a little far-fetched, actually happen. He t
James
Aug 14, 2011 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find that it becomes harder and harder to review books in a series as it goes on, so this one is going to be mercifully short - or at least, that's my aim.

I think that what has become evident in this novel is that Lustbader is stamping his authority on the Bourne persona and novels; where with Legacy he made small changes with Betrayal he has started to drastically remold the Bourne universe.
- A perfect example of this would be the removal of Marie from the books; in Legacy she was sidelined
Jeremy
May 10, 2008 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bourne Betrayal is an extremly action packed adventure who i would recomend to Anyone who loves either the Bourne series or just a good rush.
The Bourne Betrayal is right in sequence with the movies and is highly accurate. Jason Bourne with privious amnessia developes his memory back over time and the only friend he has left has been kidnapped by terrorist. The US government has now hired jason bourne to Track down his old firend and bring him home.
I could literally feel a rush when i read
BoekenTrol
Second reading / review: Now that the trilogy has found a place more in the back of my head and I do not put links to that Bourne -this Bourne all the time, this story is actually quite readable. In fact, for me the Bourne in this book looks more like the original than the character pictured in the Testament book.
I'll stick to my original rating though.

A very dazzling book. It got me thinking in the wrong direction many times.
Somehow I keep remembering that David Webb was in his 50's already
Kimme Utsi
Oct 18, 2012 Kimme Utsi marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook

In Odessa, Bourne is hampered by confusing flashes of memories. He becomes convinced that they're false, but who planted them and why? And h

Matt Crumpton
If only you could combine Lustbader and Ludlum into one writer. That would be an excellent novelist. Ludlum could create dynamic characters like Jason Bourne, and the stories he could come up with are top notch. However, Ludlum had trouble putting these stories on paper. He is a terrible writer, with an overuse of the exclamation point, and he can't write good dialogue between characters.

On the other hand you have Lustbader who has taken up Ludlum's mantle and has continued to churn our Bourne b
Speesh
Jul 13, 2013 Speesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Am I ok in saying this is an excellent read? A thoroughly tip-top thriller? One of the very best?

Credibility...Meet window?

I hope not. I don't think so. In fact, I'm sure not. Because this one did exactly what it says on the tin and thrilled the whatsits off me. Why on earth do we read books, if not for pleasure? And reading this one is as pleasurable an experience as they come.

But first, a word of warning: Don't read the summary on the back. In my view, it gives away way too much of much too ma
Ed
Nov 27, 2008 Ed rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
I believe I read all Ludlum's books including the three Jason Bourne novels, undoubtedly the most popular character he created.

After Ludlum died, somebody, maybe his publisher, maybe his heirs decided they didn't want to see a good thing die with him. So they came up with the idea of having Eric Van Lustbader, who hadn't written a best seller in years continue the series. Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked Lustbader's books particularly the Nicholas Linnear series but to paraphrase Lloyd Bentson, "He'
King
Sep 14, 2008 King rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gah! I usually avoid books like these, featuring "adventures" of a particular character. I prefer books where the characters journey ends on the last page, otherwise it feels more like a product rather than literature. I dunno though. The way Lustbader ended the book was...well, lets just say there were plenty of loose ends and i was not satiated. Looks like im going to buy the next Bourne adventure. DAMN YOU LUSTBADER!

The book was very different from the movie. It looked like Marie didnt die in
Rik
Dec 20, 2015 Rik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exciting and complex plot, tense and action packed from beginning to end. Knowing that there are quite a few more books to the series, it came as no surprise that the author had to kill off Webb/ Bourne's wife, and the kids were also conveniently pushed aside too, (they barely even get mentioned). Whilst this is good for the continuation of the stories, and helpful for Bourne, it seems a shame for the Webb character as this made him human.
Peter Marks 1 3 Mar 23, 2015 06:30AM
  • The Matarese Countdown (Matarese #2)
  • The Arctic Event (Covert-One, #7)
  • The Lazarus Vendetta (Covert-One, #5)
  • The Altman Code (Covert-One, #4)
  • The Cry of the Halidon: A Novel
  • The Janus Reprisal (Covert-One, #9)
Eric Van Lustbader was born and raised in Greenwich Village. He is the author of more than twenty-five best-selling novels, including The Ninja, in which he introduced Nicholas Linnear, one of modern fiction's most beloved and enduring heroes. The Ninja was sold to 20th CenturyFox, to be made into a major motion picture. His novels have been translated into over twenty languages.

Mr. Lustbader is
More about Eric Van Lustbader...

Jason Bourne (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne, #2)
  • The Bourne Ultimatum (Jason Bourne, #3)
  • The Bourne Legacy (Jason Bourne, #4)
  • The Bourne Sanction (Jason Bourne, #6)
  • The Bourne Deception (Jason Bourne, #7)
  • The Bourne Objective (Jason Bourne, #8)
  • The Bourne Dominion (Jason Bourne, #9)
  • The Bourne Imperative (Jason Bourne, #10)
  • The Bourne Retribution (Jason Bourne, #11)