Start by marking “As the Crow Dies” as Want to Read:
As the Crow Dies

As the Crow Dies ("Jason Crow" West Texas Mystery #1)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Vietnam took his legs. A murderer took his father. Somehow, Jason Crow has to take a stand.Jason Crow comes home to Texas on clumsy, prosthetic legs, struggling with his lost dreams and the pitying curiosity of friends and strangers. But there's no time for him to brood, because his father has just been shot to death.Unable to convince the police that his father was murder ...more
Published May 15th 2011 by Bell Bridge Books (first published May 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about As the Crow Dies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As the Crow Dies

Karin Kaufman
Jason Crow, who lost both his legs above the knee in Vietnam, arrives home in Coyote Springs, Texas, to find that his father, his hero, has died. The police are sure it was suicide, but Jason doesn’t believe it. For one thing, Theodore Crow was excited about his son’s homecoming—why would he kill himself on the very day Jason was headed home? Jason was excited too. Through painful effort and sheer determination, he had learned to walk with prosthetics—something the doctors told him he would neve ...more
Rhonda
As the Crow Dies by Ken Casper
5 STARS
As the Crow Dies is a murder mystery and it kept me guessing till the end.
Jason Crow was 6'6' talls and all around athlete that was drafted into war instead of Dallas Cowboys. In Vietnam he lost both legs, above the knees.
Jason was told he would never walk, but his dad said if he wanted it bad enough he could do it.
He was finally able to come home after he got his new legs. His best friend Zach was driving him, but when he got their there were police cars.
Arlena
Author: Ken Casper
Published by: Bell Bridge Books
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Book Blog For: GMTA
Rating: 5

Review:

"As the Crow Dies" by Ken Casper was a very good historical mystery, thriller and suspense read. This author will give you a quite a read about a post Viet Nam story of Jason Crow who has now return home as a double amputee ...and his father is determined that he will walk again. "Through painful effort and sheer determination, he had learned to walk with prosthetic
kent
I wasn't in the mood for a who dunnit, but it was free. The book is based on a premise of two men having sex with the same woman within hours of each other (one of them wearing a condom) and the woman giving birth to fraternal twins of different fathers. from there it is a well told murder mystery with all the twists and turns you would expect.
Linda
2.5 stars. I liked the idea of the protagonist here, a crippled, former-football star war vet coming home from Vietnam. I liked the idea of the murder mystery - he comes home to find his father shot and dead. Every indication points towards suicide, there's no evidence of anything else, but Jason knows better. There are various different possible culprits, all equal contenders for the prime suspect.

Unfortunately, it took me so long to read this book that I had trouble keeping characters straight
Leo Polovets
Weak plot. Trite writing. Every chapter contained at least one passage about the insecurity of having prosthetic legs. Frustrating.

The most frustrating thing, actually, was the setup. The protagonist's father is dead, and everyone thinks it was suicide. Everyone except the protagonist, that is. The problem is that he has no evidence to back up his intuition, but he just "doesn't feel" like his dad was the type of guy who would commit suicide. There is actually no evidence to support this theory
Claire
Aug 03, 2011 Claire rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: folks facing challenges - mystery lovers
Jason Crow has returned home from Viet Nam a double amputee. Initially it seems that there is no chance that he will be able to use prosthetic legs, his stumps are too short. Jason's dad is completely confident that Jason will walk if he is willing to try. After a lot of struggle Jason will be walking into his father's house (not gracefully, but walking). For the former football star this is triumphant. Tragically, Jason walks into an apparent suicide, his father's.
This does not make sense, sur
Joe Young
Interesting story of a Vietnam War Veteran who lost both legs above the knee and was told he wouldn't have enough stump left to be able to use a prostheses effectively. This prognosis was especially hard on Jason Crow as he had been a High School Football legend with an apparent future in professional football. His father wouldn't acknowledge this limit and insisted his son would be able to walk if he really wanted to. Jason trusted his father's opinion over the experts and dedicated his efforts ...more
LadyCalico
This was a really engrossing murder mystery. I always like my mysteries written in the first person, so I am seeing the clues through the eyes of the protagonist and filtering them through his personality and life experiences. That way I never know more than the protagonist, and it also makes me identify heavily with him, experiencing his confusion, fearing his fears. Such a writing style is perfect for this story, which is both character and plot-driven. The writer really put you in Jason's sho ...more
Tracey
This, a Netgalley ebook read with thanks, was a definite change of pace for me, both in setting and protagonist. It's West Texas in the 1968, and our hero is Jason Crow, not long home from Vietnam where he was nearly killed in a bombing raid. He made it through – but barely, and somewhat mysteriously: he was shot in both legs, and no one knows who set tourniquets on both, which prevented him from bleeding to death … but which, because it took days for anyone to find him, resulted in the amputati ...more
Sue
What a twisted thriller!! This book kept my interest throughout as I waited to see if I came close to guessing 'who done it'!! I was close!! Lots of intrigue and suspense set during the late '60's and the Viet Nam war. I enjoyed some of the memories this book brought back, and hated other memories of friends who didn't make it back. Overall, the characters drove this book, and the ending was convoluted but satisfying. Good read!
Douglas Cook
A paraplegic Vietnam vet comes home to find that his father has committed suicide.

First paragraphs
Saturday, August 22, 1968 The physical recovery from the loss of my legs in Vietnam was uncomplicated and relatively painless. After all, aside from the nearly fatal trauma of getting shot and buried alive for three days without food or water, I was young, healthy and in good shape. My phenomenal progress—I was pumping iron and playing wheelchair basketball within six weeks—fooled me into believing
Diane Ferbrache
All-State football star Jason Crow survived VietNam, but lost his legs and all hope of a promising pro career. He is returning home with new prosthetic legs and a plan to start a vineyard on his family land in West Texas. But when he gets home he discovers that his father is dead and the sheriff says it was suicide. Jason refuses to believe that and sets out to prove it was murder.

This is an interesting mystery story with lots of twists and turns. Although I admit I wasn't completely surprised b
Antonia
a fairly solid ok written murder mystery. nothing special, not especially good, nor especially bad.
seemed a bit run of the mill as if the author churns out a lot. lacked depth such as this review lacks structure.
Sue Squire
Can you say obstacles? Jason Crow KNOWS obstacles and determination. He got the life of the all American everything to be transformed into a life that was beyond anything he could imagine when he became an amputee. He now thinks about what others think of him, the way he appears and the way he thinks they perceive him. He is determined to not be pitted. There are a lot of racial issues for this time period to deal with too. Even with all he is going through, he manages to maintain his focus on f ...more
Amy
Jul 24, 2011 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011, kindle
This was a great murder mystery for me. I found myself trying to figure out who did it and narrowing it down. In the end, I found I was close to figuring it out on my own, but I still didn't know it until the protagonist figured it out too.

I gave it four stars instead of five because sometimes I felt like there was too much inner dialogue about the protagonist's struggle with being an amputee. I think it was important to the story, to a certain extent, but sometimes it felt like a bit much to m
Elizabeth B
This was a very turn by turn book which will appeal to many readers. No real imagination is required as you are led step by step through the daily lives of the characters. In case you forget of the main character’s loss of limbs, the author is helpful by reminding you every two pages. If you are searching for a quick read (the chapters are only 2-3 pages each) that requires no thought or reasoning just to fill up some time then this will be a great book for you.

ARC Galley Proof
PopcornReads
Jason Crow was a hometown football hero in high school in Coyote Springs, Texas, and the envy of every guy in school. In 1968, he returns home as a Vietnam War vet who is a double above-the-knee amputee. He arrives home to his dad’s carriage house with his best friend, Zack, only to walk in on a crime scene investigation and be told his father, Theodore Crow, his mentor and hero, committed suicide late the night before. To read the rest of my review, go to http://popcornreads.com/?p=1195
C. Clark
This is my first time reading Ken Casper. He has a smooth way about his writing, and I was able to easily slide into the story. The protagonist is unique being legless and on prosthetic limbs, but sometimes it seemed to get in the way of the story-telling. I also wanted to be a little more in his head. The impotency of not being able to deal with many situations was vivid, however, and you really felt for the guy. The story is a solid mystery, and I'll be picking up another story by Mr. Casper.
Linda
Throughout this book I admired the character of Jason Crow and the values he lived by taught to him by his father. It was well written and had enought twists to keep you reading more. I found myself at turns feeling sorry for some of the characters and wanting to give other characters a good shake.

Set in the 1960's it was a fitting reminder of how some things have changed and others not at all, such as drug use, religious cults and people's views about marriage. Well worth a read.
Mary
I'm not much into murder mysteries but this book definitely got my attention! There are a lot of plots and subplots going on throughout the book. I was completely surprised at the end when I found out whodunit.

The characters in the book were very realistic and I found myself caring about all of them. They were wonderfully fleshed out.

I'm excited that this book will become a series and look forward to reading the next installment.
Debbie
He lost his legs in Vietnam and is learning to deal with his disability. He comes home to find out his Father is dead.
Decent mystery with good character development. The amputee's feelings how he deals with people and how people react to him is interesting. No feeling sorry for this guy.
He is surrounded by family and friends. The family dealing with racial prejudices and religion. His friends staying loyal. A good read.
Laurie
Torture for me to get through!
Wayne Jordan
I've been reading Casper's books from his Harlequin Superromance debut and now this, the first book in his Crow series. AS THE CROW DIES is an intense, original, well-written start to what promises to be a wonderful. A unique hero, Jason Crow is strong, smart...and tortured. The cast of secondary characters is solid and diverse and is definitely one of the novel's appeals. I can wait until the next one.
Hilary
It's a rare mainstream book that has a protagonist with a severe disability, and this one handles it well. There's no undue dwelling on it, other than what the plot demands, and yet Jason's thoughts, emotions and actions all seem to ring true yet without overwhelming the real point of the book: the mystery which Jason must solve.

I'd look forward to seeing Jason appear again.
Judy
I really enjoyed this free download to my Kindle. It was well written; the plot was good; I liked the characters. Some were not so nice, but they were well developed. The "good guys" were really good, actually heroes. Unlike those mysteries in which I "know" who the bad guy is, this one had me guessing. I liked this so much that I will have to find more to read by this author.
Julie
This book was okay. It seemed to go on and on about stuff that wasn't important to the storyline and who murdered Jason's father. I have never been in a war, or have needed anything amputated, so I will not comment on that part of the story. I was not really impressed with the character formation (or lack of). But I had to get to the end to see who did it.
Cindy
I started this book without thinking about it being set in the 1960s, but it was really good and I had to finish it. It's a mystery set in Texas involving a newly disabled Vietnam soldier and his family. It's free right now for the Kindle, which is why I got it, and looks like being the first in a series. Highly recommended. Great setting and strong characters.
Julie Smith
I thought this sounded interesting. Vietnam vet comes home wounded. He has lost his legs. He comes home to find his father has died. Everyone says it is suicide. He believes it is murder. Of course we know he is right. However, it was a bit disappointing. The repetitive references to his missing legs in every chapter became tiresome.
Linda Anders
1968, Vietnam, Texas...strange to see this story referred to as a historical mystery, but I suppose it is...the year before my husband was in Vietnam. Author did a good job of capturing the way things were during that time period. Characters were well developed. Not great literature but I didn't expect it to be. Would recommend.
  • Striking Back
  • The Curse of the Holy Pail (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #2)
  • Eyewall
  • Too Near The Edge (Cleo & Tyler Mysteries, #1)
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)
  • Lot's Return to Sodom (A Liv Bergen Mystery #2)
  • State of Rebellion (Pug Connor, #1)
  • All Through the Night
  • Sacred Secrets, A Jacody Ives Mystery
  • Tremolo: Cry of the Loon
  • Chasing Eden
  • Innocent Monster (Moe Prager, #6)
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)
  • The Maverick Experiment
  • Blood Country (Claire Watkins, #1)
  • Clear Blue Sky
  • Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery, #3)
  • Blackbird
Ken Casper was born and raised in New York City. After graduating from Fordham University with a degree in Russian, he joined the Air Force, was stationed in the Far East, served in Vietnam, and lived five years in Germany. He also earned a Master's degree in Education from the University of Southern California. Ken retired from more than 33 years of government service in September '97.

Now a trans
More about Ken Casper...

"Jason Crow" West Texas Mystery (3 books)
  • Crow's Feat
  • One Flew Over the Crow's Nest
Speed Bumps (Harlequin NASCAR, #7) Hitting the Brakes (Harlequin NASCAR, #24) Miles Apart (Harlequin NASCAR, #15) Running on Empty (Harlequin NASCAR, #30) Taking a Stand