Start by marking “Stirred (Jack Daniels Mystery, #8)” as Want to Read:
Stirred (Jack Daniels Mystery, #8)

Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  3,050 Ratings  ·  228 Reviews
They are the very best at what they do. Peerless. Unmatched.Only fate could bring two such extraordinary people together?or the depraved manipulations of a homicidal criminal who takes lives for the sheer pleasure of watching his victims die.Luther Kite is a monster among monsters, growing increasingly bored with his kills. So he sets his sights on the one adversary who ca ...more
Published (first published November 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Stirred, please sign up.

Kelly I found this list on Amazon and it's the order I used to read this series:

"That said, some readers do want a chronological list of events in Jack's…more
I found this list on Amazon and it's the order I used to read this series:

"That said, some readers do want a chronological list of events in Jack's life. So here it is.

Besides the eight Jack Daniels novels, Jack and her cohorts have appeared as supporting characters in several other books and stories. Here's the order, from her years as a rookie cop, to the future.

SHOT OF TEQUILA by JA Konrath

TIMECASTER by JA Konrath

TIMESUPERSYMMETRY by JA Konrath

TIMECASTER STEAMPUNK by JA Konrath*

*coming soon

The Jack Daniels books also cross over with several books with my frequent collaborator Blake Crouch, and my pen name, Jack Kilborn. These include:

DESERT PLACES by Blake Crouch

LOCKED DOORS by Blake Crouch

BREAK YOU by Blake Crouch

AFRAID by Jack Kilborn

TRAPPED by Jack Kilborn

ENDURANCE by Jack Kilborn(less)

Lou
Nov 16, 2011 Lou rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller, arc
A finale to the Jack Daniels series created by Konrath and a finale to the Luther Kite and Andrew Z Thomas by Blake Crouch. I have yet to read any previous books from the series, with a newly found guilt. Whiskey sour, the beginning of The Jack Daniel’s Detective series, has been gathering some undue dust on the shelf and after reading the end line of her career in this novel I only wished to have had a sample of her detective work in upholding the law. The mind of Luther kite is some what one t ...more
Monnie
Jan 11, 2012 Monnie rated it really liked it
All the books featuring Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels are extremely well written and hold your attention with a grip that just won't let go, but I must admit my fed-up-with-violence quotient finally got pushed over the edge about halfway through this one and I almost didn't finish it. Although the authors left the door open for more, Stirred supposedly is the last of the series, and I can't say I'm all that sorry. Lest you think I'm opposed to blood-and-guts gore, far from it; it's just that I'm tot ...more
Kimberly A. Bettes
Nov 18, 2011 Kimberly A. Bettes rated it it was amazing
It would be cliché to say that Stirred is Konrath & Crouch at their best. After all, when aren’t they at their best? But this is one of their best collaborations, possibly their best to date. The way they brought in all their characters, both villains and heroes, and wove them all together in one story is simply amazing. The fact that it worked so well is a testament to both their writing abilities and their working relationship. Add in the interactive element, and you have a real masterpiec ...more
Wandaful
Nov 17, 2011 Wandaful rated it it was amazing
Brilliant..!!!
Hilariously funny one minute, disgustingly gory and scary as hell the next
Full of characters you love to hate, and characters you just hate to love
RIPPER story, totally engrossing,(with emphasis on the GROSS), and full of mega laugh out loud (aka LOL) moments...
Many brilliant plots along the way and hilarious dialogue to die for..!!!... Literally...
Plus a twist at the end that no one will see coming
One of the best books I have read this year
Another masterpiece from Konrath (and Bla
Mihir
Jan 07, 2012 Mihir rated it really liked it

Review originally at Fantasy Book Critic

OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: Stirred is a book for which both authors have been building up anticipation for their reading audience. The first collaboration between both these authors was “Serial” which was a download bonanza, and was the stepping stone in regards to the unification of their individual written worlds. Following in that direction, the authors soon expanded their collaborative efforts with Serial Uncut, Killers, Birds of Prey, etc… All of these book
Katie
One word. Horrific (and not in a good way).

Everyone who knows me knows I absolutely abhor cliff hangers. They leave me feeling cheated. Having said that, I cannot stress how much I wish the Jack Daniel's series had ended with the previous book's cliff hanger. I really wanted to like this book.

The first half of the book I still don't know why it was there. The only thing I can come up with is it was a marketing experience. I mean what else can it be when two main characters go for a long (chapte
Scott
Feb 09, 2012 Scott rated it really liked it
Wow. Konrath and Crouch pull out all the stops on this fusion of their serial killer novels with Konrath's Jack Daniels series. It's totally over the top at times, but yet, like a car wreck on the shoulder of the highway, I couldn't look away. I had to keep reading.

I haven't read a lot of Jack Daniels mysteries, maybe three, and I've enjoyed them. There's a certain competency, a workman-like quality to the stories and the writing, that I really admire. I like her as a character, too. She's sort
Debbi Mack
Nov 22, 2011 Debbi Mack rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-reads
STIRRED finds (retired) Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels (formerly) of the Chicago Police Department seated not-so-comfortably in the ER with her significant other, Phin, a bank robber-turned-nice guy. Apparently. Jack is, not to put too fine a point on it, preggers out to here. Eight and half months into pregnancy and suffering from preeclampsia. As in pre-eclampsia. Eclampsia being a condition that could kill her and/or her unborn child. So. Not. Cool.

Mid-examination, Jack learns that a so
John
Feb 14, 2012 John rated it liked it
I'm going to go with a solid average for this book. The story was interesting, and the plot/set-up of the villain was creative in a twisted kind of way. It kept me turning pages to see what was going to happen next.

On the down side, the main character, Jack Daniels, is not a sympathetic protagonist. She's really quite unpleasant and selfish most of the time. Now to be fair, this is not even close to the beginning of this series, so perhaps the other novels would have fleshed her out more, so tha
Darcia Helle
This book combines fast-paced action, humor, madness, and edge-of-your-seat, jaw-clenching suspense. It's like driving by a bad accident. You know you shouldn't stare at the gore but you can't help yourself. Jack Daniels is at her best here. She's tough, angry, stubborn, and determined, while doing her best to beat back her softer side. Her sidekick Harry McGlade keeps us chuckling in the midst of the horror. And Luther Kite remains my favorite, twisted psychopath.

The pace is relentless and you
Angela
Nov 22, 2011 Angela rated it it was amazing
A fitting conclusion to the Jack Daniels series. I hadn't read the series by Blake Crouch but I intend to. It was a perfect blending of the two series. Gruesome and exciting beyond anything I could imagine. I liked the way all the loose ends were "tied up" if they really were. I will be sad to not have Jack Daniels in my reading world anymore. Guess I will have to do an occasional reread.
I would definitely recommend this series for fans of horror/thriller mysteries. This one has it all, a like
Barb
Nov 22, 2011 Barb rated it it was amazing
I thought NO ONE could write about Jack Daniels like J.A. Konrath. This latest installment has proved me WRONG. Blake Crouch did a wonderful job with this story - it was impossible to tell who wrote what. Another gritty, gory romp with Jack Daniels and company. I felt like I was at a super creepy family reunion. Thanks for bringing back Mr. Friskers and for adding Duffy the Basset Hound. Well done, Gentlemen!! I will remain a fan of Jack Daniels forever.
Chris Bowsman
Nov 16, 2011 Chris Bowsman rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge Konrath/Kilborn and Crouch fan, and went into this one with ridiculously high expectations. They under promised and over delivered. Everything that's great about the Jack Daniels stuff and the serial killer books is here in spades. Very highly recommended.
Elayne
Mar 22, 2014 Elayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!! Brilliant...and as always from these two authors..thought provoking! I can only say, to anyone who likes a thriller with a lot of creepiness, read this book and all those preceding it!
Joan
Jan 03, 2014 Joan rated it it was ok
Irritatingly extreme; formulaic X 10.
Alex Shelby
Oct 14, 2016 Alex Shelby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit far-fetched, but entertaining nonetheless.
Claudia
Nov 23, 2011 Claudia rated it it was amazing
When I began STIRRED, I didn't know if I was going to be disappointed or elated over this final installment. I loved both series separately, but equally (I don't like to play favorites) and to be honest, I didn't know if these two grand masters of words could pull it off. I'm sure I won't be the first one (or the last) to say this but, they did. Not only did they deliver on their promise, but managed to do so so in spades.

As we've come to expect from both Crouch and Konrath, there is a lot of gu
Kurt Criscione
Nov 17, 2011 Kurt Criscione rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-cop-noir
How to begin... WOW.

Before i even get to the story lets talk technical. Crouch and Konrath have been talking about eBooks being MORE than just a story in digital format but making it more interactive, like DVDs have become. This story combines lines fromover a dozen novels and many many short stories (most of which i still haven't read. That said they have hyperlinked most of the characters and some of the situations in the book. So when you get to a new character you can click on the name (i re
Glenn Conley
Dec 31, 2014 Glenn Conley rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Well, it looks like Luther Kite is up to no good again. And, here's superhero cop Jack Daniels to save the day once again. Whooptie-freakin-doo. I've read this same goddamn story in all of these Konrath and Crouch novels. It's just the same shit over and over. Bad guy kills some people. Jack tries her best to solve the crime.

Then, the bad guy kills more people. He taunts Jack, so she knows who's doing the dirty deeds. He want's her hot on his heels. The game is so much more exciting that way.

For
Glenn Conley
Jan 07, 2015 Glenn Conley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Well, it looks like Luther Kite is up to no good again. And, here’s superhero cop Jack Daniels to save the day once again. Whooptie-freakin-doo. I’ve read this same goddamn story in all of these Konrath and Crouch novels. It’s just the same shit over and over. Bad guy kills some people. Jack tries her best to solve the crime.

Then, the bad guy kills more people. He taunts Jack, so she knows who’s doing the dirty deeds. He wants her hot on his heels. The game is so much more exciting that way.

For
Anette
Dec 12, 2011 Anette rated it it was amazing
Stirred is a terrific read. Suspenseful, scary and a delightfully twisted, Stirred features flawed but lovable heroes versus the vilest of villains, whose grotesque acts of depravity are described for the reader in sometimes excruciating detail. Stirred is not for the squeamish, but if you don't mind a little torture between fiends, you'll be fine. Remember - the more vicious the bad guy, the more rewarding the takedown.

I don't know where these guys come up with some of this stuff. I almost fee
Patti
Aug 15, 2013 Patti rated it really liked it
I've read a few of Blake Crouch's Luther Kite books and liked them a lot. Dunno why I didn't read them all, he kinda fell off my (admittedly defective) radar. I've read all of J.A. Konrath's Jack Daniels book. When I saw this offering, both of their series regulars merged into one book, I was pretty stoked. Put it on my want lists all over the web until I finally decided to suck it up and buy it on Kindle, when it was pretty cheap.

So glad I did. An excellent read, quickly moving and well written
Tracy
I went from loving this series to really not liking it at all to liking it ok by the time I got to this book.

Jack is 8 months pregnant and has just found out that she has a very dangerous condition, one that can kill her and her child if she doesn't take care of it. Alas, another serial killer shows up and Jack is the only one that can take care of it. So with her brother/ex-partner, Harry McGlade, Jack sets out to catch a killer.

The story is written a little different since Konrath had a co-w
Georgiann Hennelly
Nov 20, 2011 Georgiann Hennelly rated it it was amazing
I,m a huge fan of Konrath/Kilborn and Crouch. I love Jack Daniels and Harry Mcglade never fails to make me laugh. This book is disgustlingly gory and scary as hell,hilariously funny . Many brillant plots and hilarious dialogue. Full of characters you love to hate and others you just hate to love.I really enjoyed how they brought the characters from other books into Stirred. Especially because Jack is having a high risk pregnancy and it seems as if Luther Kite isn,t done with her yet.If you love ...more
Mylene
Jun 14, 2013 Mylene rated it really liked it
Shelves: kilborn-konrath
Sob..... I don't want to be finished! I liked this last chapter of the Daniels/Kite/Thomas saga but I didn't love it. Some parts worked (Donaldson and Lucy, and the fake Luther Kite with the circles of hell), while others didn't (the cemetery scene was lame, and Jack is shown as more lucky than good). As a whole, Konrath and Crouch rock! Someone who likes police procedurals, strong older women characters, horror, and memorable villains needs to read Konrath and Crouch. I, for one, am a big fan!!
Jen Walker
Dec 05, 2011 Jen Walker rated it it was amazing
What a delightful ending ( if you can use the word delightful & Luther Kite in the same sentence) to the series. I have read the Andrew Thomas series books and really enjoyed them. I haven't read any of the Jack Daniels books but now plan to check those out too. This final installment lives up to the other author's Luther Kite books in that it is very twisted & graphic. If you don't like a bit of gore or disturbing images/scenarios then this is not for you. This novel gripped me from the ...more
Kenneth Funk
Dec 07, 2011 Kenneth Funk rated it did not like it
This book was one of the worst that I have read in a very long time. I understand that two authors were trying to wrap their respective series and this book did indeed read like two different books. I do not like having to bounce back and forth to try to figure out what was going on since I never read the Luther Kite series, nor did I read the series where Lucy and Donaldson came from.

Two sets of serial killers chasing one retired detective...the Jack Daniels series really should have ended when
John
Sep 20, 2016 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall - 4.5 stars
Story - 4 stars
Narration - 5 stars

I started this series on book 8 because I got it as a daily deal or something, but I don't think it'll make a big difference.

This book was quite exciting and fast paced. If the other books in this series are as good, then I'd rate the J.A. Konrath books third after the John Sandford and Craig Johnson books on my favorite detective series list.
Isabella Ellis
Apr 14, 2013 Isabella Ellis rated it it was ok
Jan
Adjectives fail me. This was a stunning finale to the Jack Daniels series by J. A. Konrath and the Andrew Z. Thomas series by Blake Crouch so what one didn't think of the other did! An incredible [age turner, this story had me from the first page and I was on the edge of my seat in no time. That I enjoyed it all makes me wonder how twisted I am.
Goodreads Librari...: Combine these issues? 2 13 Jan 05, 2016 09:21PM
  • Locked Doors (Andrew Z. Thomas/Luther Kite #2)
  • Truck Stop
  • Casket For Sale: Only Used Once
JA Konrath writes the occasionally amusing and often frightening Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels thrillers, available in hardcover and paperback from Hyperion and as a spoken word from Brilliance Audio.

The books are a mixture of the humor of Janet Evanovich, Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore, but with the scares of James Patterson, Thomas Harris, Patricia Cornwell.

Basically, JA rips off everybody.

In o
More about J.A. Konrath...

Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Whiskey Sour (Jack Daniels Mystery, #1)
  • Bloody Mary (Jack Daniels Mystery, #2)
  • Rusty Nail (Jack Daniels Mystery, #3)
  • Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4)
  • Fuzzy Navel (Jack Daniels Mystery, #5)
  • Cherry Bomb (Jack Daniels Mystery, #6)
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
  • Rum Runner (Jack Daniels Mystery, #9)
  • Last Call (Jack Daniels Mystery, #10)
  • White Russian (Jack Daniels #11)

“been engaged not long ago, and it had” 0 likes
“Wikipedia Entry for Andrew Z. Thomas Andrew Ziegler Thomas (born November 1, 1961) is an American author of contemporary horror, suspense, true crime, and thriller fiction, and a suspected serial killer. His stories have sold more than 30 million copies and have been adapted into feature films, television movies, and comic books.” 0 likes