Start by marking “A Woman Killed with Kindness” as Want to Read:
A Woman Killed with Kindness

A Woman Killed with Kindness

New Mermaids are modernized and fully-annotated editions of classic English plays. Each volume includes:

The playtext, in modern spelling, edited to the highest bibliographical and textual standards
Textual notes recording significant changes to the copytext and variant readings
Glossing notes explaining obscure words and word-play
Critical, contextual and staging notes
Ph
Paperback
Published December 2nd 2005 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published December 1970)

To ask other readers questions about A Woman Killed with Kindness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Woman Killed with Kindness

Rosianna
I read this for my Renaissance tragedy module and I imagine it can either be taken as promoting or satirising the role of women and marriage as commodity. Both Anne and Susan are fairly typical, passive renaissance women, with Anne's husband painted as infinitely kind and generous. The play itself moves quite quickly and is short, so it wouldn't take long to read or watch and for me at least it's strength lies jn its ambiguous morality--are we meant to take it seriously?
Collin
Dec 31, 2016 Collin rated it did not like it
Shelves: classics, drama
Urgh. A play about my least favorite plot ever, a woman being ritualistically stripped of her dignity and status after an incidence of practically forced infidelity. Awesome. Not to mention Sir Charles's truly HEINOUS plan to literally sell his sister into a one-night-stand in order to clear his own fricking debts - which he incurred by MURDERING TWO PEOPLE - and then being cool with Susan's plan to KILL HERSELF before she could actually sleep with Sir Francis.

Look, pardon my French, but this p
Nicolas Shump
Jan 17, 2009 Nicolas Shump rated it really liked it
I read A Woman Killed with Kindness by Thomas Heywood in an anthology of plays, but what a tremendous work. I am definitely a romantic and somewhat of a sucker for works like this, but I could not put the play down.
It is a gorgeous play full of pathos with sublime poetry. It reminds me of Shakespeare's best work and of Alcestis by Euripides. The subtext with Sir Acton is okay, but I don't know that I buy the love at first sight scenario. This may be my 21st century bias showing.
However, the ma
Roxanne
Feb 19, 2016 Roxanne rated it really liked it
M.L. Rio
Feb 28, 2016 M.L. Rio rated it it was ok
Sophie Cochin
Sep 15, 2011 Sophie Cochin rated it liked it
Shelves: uni
When Shakespeare meets Tennessee Williams. Heavy on the stomach but had a good time reading it.
Bettie☯
Matt
Jan 28, 2009 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-class
A strange play and an interesting window into life during the English Renaissance.
M. Pierce
Sep 06, 2013 M. Pierce rated it it was amazing
Better than Shakespeare at points. "O God, that it were possible / To undo things done, to call back yesterday..."
Jeremy
Feb 01, 2013 Jeremy rated it liked it
I did not read this edition. I read a copy from Fossen, The Revel Plays (Harvard UP, 1961).
John
Sep 24, 2011 John rated it really liked it
Surprisingly complex play. Lots of talk about the value of women, and of their bodies.
Courtney
Dunn, Esther Cloudman
Eight Famous Elizabethan Plays

In compilation only.
Alyssa Long
Feb 27, 2016 Alyssa Long rated it it was ok
Meh. Paired with Taming of the Shrew, but I don't buy the connection. I think it needs another act to come to fruition.
Vikki
Vikki rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Austin Lim
Austin Lim rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Alex LaGrand
Alex LaGrand rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2014
Charis
Charis rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2014
aminobutyric
aminobutyric rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2011
Meriel
Meriel rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2016
Büşra Erdurucan
Büşra Erdurucan rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2011
Nick
Nick rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2013
Christine Tenkerian
Christine Tenkerian rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2016
Hilary
Hilary rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2015
  • The Philosopher's Handbook: Essential Readings from Plato to Kant
  • Grand-Guignol: The French Theatre of Horror
  • Little Eyolf
  • Defence of Poesie, Astrophil and Stella, and Other Writings
  • The Libation Bearers (Ορέστεια, #2)