Start by marking “De Gaudí Sleutel” as Want to Read:
De Gaudí Sleutel

De Gaudí Sleutel

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  834 ratings  ·  96 reviews
Barcelona, 1926. De vermaarde architect Antoni Gaudí sterft nadat hij onder een tram is gekomen. Een ongeluk, zo wordt beweerd. Maar zijn jonge leerling Juan Givell weet wel beter. Hij was erbij. Tachtig jaar later is Juan een oude man die zijn geheugen begint te verliezen. Al die tijd heeft hij het grote geheim van zijn meester verborgen moeten houden. Nu is de tijd gekom ...more
353 pages
Published by A.W. Bruna (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about De Gaudí Sleutel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De Gaudí Sleutel

Bokeshi
Osećam se kao da mi je mozak bio zlostavljan, vreme uludo bačeno, i bar za nijansu sam gluplji zbog čitanja ove gomile sranja nego što sam bio pre. A masterwork of FAIL. Izbegavati.
Stephen
"The Gaudi Key" (La Clave Gaudi) possesses the grandiosity of its subject's architecture, but lacks his whimsy.

Sometimes you can concoct a literary triumph yet not tell a story so well. Such is the case with Esteban Martin and Andreu Carranza's novel.

"The Gaudi Key," takes Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code," moves it to Barcelona, and then attempts to transform a potboiler into big literature. But the authors fail to match Brown's talent for penning the page-turner, and instead weigh their piece
Anna
An interesting premise... I enjoyed the read but felt somehow distanced from the story. Perhaps it was in the translation, or in the voice of two authors, but I didn't feel connected to the story. I did appreciate the references to Gaudi's works, and would like to learn more about him and to visit Barcelona and experience these treasures.
M M
In the Gaudi Key by Esteban Martin and Andreu Carranza it turns out Gaudi was the master of seven knights sworn to protect some relic or the other from the depredations of Chaos, better known as the Corbel, who are determined to consign the planet into anarchy. One wonders then, why they limit themselves to what is essentially a provincial backwater. Why not London? Or Tokyo? Or even Paris? Why Barcelona? (Because that's where their readers are, silly! Makes them feel all loved and fuzzy.) At an ...more
jordan
a pathetic attempt to recreate "the da vinci code" in a Spanish setting. i hate i even had to give it one star.
Ivana
Through this book I learned something about Gaudi, and the story ... well it is not something inspiring... pity ...
Paul Pessolano
This is another book that is trying to ride on the coattails of "The Da Vinci Code". However. it falls far short of its objective.

The story takes place in Barcelona and an old man is near death. He is found to be one of the Seven Knights of Moriah. The Seven Knights of Moriah preceded the Knights Templar and were to guard a sacred article that was handed down from Jesus Christ.

The man's daughter, Maria, and her boyfriend, Miguel, are given riddles that they must solve in order to find the articl
Mag
I can't judge the plot because I was skipping the pages more than I was reading them, but I really liked the analysis of Gaudi's work.

It finally explained to me his expansive popularity with the Japanese. It pointed out Gaudi's compositions connections to Zen through its imitations of the natural shapes of cliffs, grottoes and plants, with the native stonecrop, Sedum acre, given quite a prominence. Gaudi turned birds' nests, anthills, stalactites, mountains, trees, rocks and plants into towers,
Yvette
The only positive thing I can say about this book was that I learned about
Antonio Gaudi. There was a lot of rich information about his work, his life,
and you could catch a glimpse of the how, why, and when of his masterpieces.
The plot in my opinion was quite lame, or maybe It was very similar to the famous
Da Vinci Code book. Some of the parts were, at least to me, unnecessary. I didn't like
the end, in the sense that I expected way more "fighting" between good and evil from
the good and bad boys..
Debra S
It was a very long books to leave so many loose ends. There were characters that I never figures out what purpose they served and clues that never seemed to be resolved. The dialog was somewhat stilted but that might have be attributed to the translation.

While Maria and Miquel do solve the puzzle left by her grandfather and find the relic, the conclusion seemed to come from left field as the saying goes.

While I enjoyed some of the historical thriller aspects of this novel, I don't think I would
Gwen Vila
Firstly, most people won't like this book. It really is an inadequate cousin of Angels and Demons (which I preferred to The Da Vinci Code). But if you love Barcelona, Gaudi, and conspiracy thrillers, it's an enjoyable read. (And by the way, if you have the means to travel and can only go to one place, forget Paris, forget Rome, go to Barcelona, and do two things - first, see La Sagrada Familia - begun by Gaudi and the greatest-ever endeavor into architecture, though it's still in progress. Secon ...more
Maria Stancheva
Книгата започна обещаващо, средната ѝ част беше скучна и завърши катастрофално тъпо. еднага направих аналогия с "Деветата порта", която се разви по подобен неприятен за читателя начин.
Приликата с книгите на Дан Браун е най-малкият проблем на авторите. Реално сюжет липсва, а страниците са запълнени със странна смесица от данни за Гауди и Барселона от уикипедия и религиозни трактовки за символиката в Библията, те вече от къде са преписани не знам.
След като я прочетох, за пореден път се замислих ка
Joleen
Jul 05, 2014 Joleen rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Whew! Where to begin?! This book was a CHORE to finish. An absolute MISERY . It's the bastard child of Angels and Demons, The Da Vinci Code, Holy Blood, Holy Grail, and The Sacred Bones, and probably a few dozen more pseudo-intellectual attempts to make something very simple into something needlessly complex, all in the name of conspiracy theory. The only difference between this book and all those mentioned is the target of the end goal.

The first 2/3 trudged along like a crippled zombie, the pl
A
Finally finished with this book. Well, actually impressed with myself for being able to pull myself to finish it, considering how many times I yawned reading it. It is full with this Christianity, historic stories, long way back to the born of Jesus Christ.

I bought this book to familiarise myself with books from Spanish authors. I thought this book was too heavy for me, full of riddles, puzzles. Maybe I should start with something simpler.

But, I would not say I don’t enjoy reading it. well, ma
Stephen

Ileen
Dunque dunque… questo libro mi ha lasciata un po’ perplessa. È costruito su un ottima trama, i personaggi sono credibili, ci sono molti colpi di scena… allora cosa non mi ha convinto? Ancora ci sto pensando, comunque non è che possa dirmi soddisfatta della lettura, almeno non al cento per cento. Credo che le due pecche maggiori stiano in miriadi di informazioni su Gaudì che il lettore non condivide (almeno io) e che quindi stenta a seguire.. e poi, la fretta, la solita maledetta fretta di finire ...more
Pat Sul
this falls into my very guilty pleasure category.
for someone who has only read the one dan brown book and have resisted temptation to read more of dan brown, i seem to be drawn to the brown knock-offs.

usual stuff - a mystery has to be solved and there are people who want to steal the secret and use it for their own purposes.
as usual the roman catholic church is involved, sort of. (these books aren't very good if they don't involve the church in some way or another).
as usual there are a handf
Avigail
The Gaudi tie-in seemed like it would make for an interesting conspiracy read, and in that I wasn't disappointed. The story moves along quickly, the characters are well developed, and if you have visited Barcelona you'll enjoy all the references to local buildings, streets, cafes, etc. The Gaudi Key was a book that grabbed me and pulled me in within the first couple of paragraphs. It gives an amazing setting and plot that with capture even the pickiest of readers. The characters are very well or ...more
Tammy
Mar 24, 2012 Tammy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller/ mystery lovers
this was a good book. I dont know how many times I have described something as gaudi and never once thought of the person or his work. I thought it was a description. Read this book you will learn about the person and his work and then you will look it up to find out more. I imagine someone from Barcelona or lived there for a time would really enjoy this.
As Marias' grandfather is dying he lets her know that she is part of a prophecy and has a quest to complete. Enter her mathmetician boyfriend,
Melissa
Lots of people have compared this book to "The Da Vinci Code." And for good reason.

Here's my list of "Instead of (this)...there is (that)"

Rome...Barcelona
Michelangelo...Gaudi
Templars...Knights of Moriah

Aside from those substitutions, there's a lot of straight similarities including codes to solve that refer to the Bible and mythology, grisly murders, and overeducated professionals turned detectives.

In the end, I still thought it was a good read. The riddles weren't as interesting as the DVC, bu
Kaido
A cheap try to recreate Da Vinci Code in Barcelona. The riddle was a big mess. There were info peaces what were not related to story. I didn´t understand why some characters were brought in. Just to kill them later?

Francis
This book is fun! For its genre, the story is reasonably intelligent (unlike Dan Brown's awful Da Vinci Code)and genuinely informative, with plenty of useful insights into Gaudi's work - and the immense amount of nonsense talked about it! The publisher's reference to Gaudi ss the father of an architectural movement that swept Europe in the early C20th is drivel. The plot and characterization are thin, and the whole work could do with good editing, but for anyone who likes Barcelona (despite its ...more
Filipe
Nice idea, but with a lot of plot holes.
Stephanie Arends
Kon met moeite door dit boek heen komen en heb af en toe zelfs hele stukken over geslagen. De schrijvers hebben heel hard hun best gedaan om een spannend boek te schrijven maar dat is voor mijn gevoel dramatisch mislukt. Toen ik met dit boek begon had ik verwacht dat de schrijvers een spannende zoektocht door Barcelona zouden neer schetsen maar helaas werd dat al snel een traag en saai verhaal met teveel informatie en 'geschiedenis'. Als ik zoveel over Gaudi wil leren was ik wel een boek over zi ...more
Guillermo Ollarves
A narrative filled of common areas, typical of this style of literature. Some transitions in the temporal line and events were too fast paced. Yet a good story if you're looking for novels showing the historical struggle between good and evil and some underlying secret which will turn the tides in favor of one of the sides. Settled in a beautiful city as Barcelona, and turning around the events related to the architectural wonders created by Gaudí, gives this book a unique and magical atmosphere ...more
Carolin
Oct 09, 2011 Carolin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carolin by: I've got this through bookcrossing
Shelves: englisch, mysterioes, lies
I liked the story, it was thrilling but also informative. Though I wished it wouldn't be too schmaltzy and kitschy. Sometimes I thought "Oh, come on!" when mystic light fell on the protagonists and they looked deep in each others eyes...that was a little too much for me and I actually didn't expect this. But still, it was a good read and I had fun.I liked the detailed descriptions of the architecture in Barcelona and it was also nice to follow María and Miguel through the city solving all these ...more
Laura Cavazos
May be compared to "The DaVinci Code" but definitely isn't the same. I had a boring time reading it, really few pages caught my attention and had to finish it just because I can't start reading a new book without finishing the previous one... so I forced myself through the pages.
The story sounded well at first, talking about architecture, Antonio Gaudí mainly, a secret that could change the humanity or something religious.

I wouldn't recommend it... though there are some people that could like it
matteo
This is not a good book. I love historical fiction mysteries, and this book attempts to be in the same vein as Dan Brown, Steve Berry, and company. And fails. The writing is bad, the characters are unbelievable, the story is ridiculous. I usually have no problem suspending my disbelief if the story is moving quickly and keeps things interesting. But this book stretches things way too far, and while it was a fast read, I could not wait to finish it so that I could move on to something else.
Shawn Bird
It reminded me a lot of the Da Vinci code, set in Barcelona, with the key to the mystery set in Gaudi's works throughout the city. It's heretical, and that might explain some low reviews, but generally it was quite readable, and the symbolism was quite well developed. The characters didn't have a lot of depth, and the relationship with Miguel and Maria was laughable it was so unbelievable, but it gave me a focus for my trip to Barcelona and it was a diverting read.
Juliana
The story is good, but for me the way it is told is just boring and annoying. Most of the time, the reasoning in the book is based on weird, constructed dialogues and the most interesting parts seem to be copied from Gaudì biographies. It is disappointing to read a good story told in a boring way. This would be a good example for how much language, style and rhetorics matter when it comes to convincing people.
Great cover design, though. I liked that part of the book.
  • God's Spy
  • Daughter of God
  • Sphinx
  • The Death of a Pope
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • The Thirteenth Apostle
  • The Marks Of Cain
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • Zoia's Gold
  • The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)
  • Pyramid
  • The Lost Temple
  • The Sacred Blood
  • Bible Of Clay
  • The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
  • The Ring: The Last Knight Templar's Inheritance
  • The Book of Names: A Novel
  • The Nostradamus Prophecies
Esteban Martin is an anthropologist and author, and a founder of Littera, a small publishing house.
More about Esteban Martin...
El Pintor De Sombras Pictorul umbrelor La conquista del Imperio (Sanada, #1) El misterio del lago Ness Cuando La Muerte Venia del Cielo