Start by marking “Homophobia: A History” as Want to Read:
Homophobia: A History

Homophobia: A History

In this tour de force of historical and literary research, Fone, an acclaimed expert on gay and lesbian history and professor emeritus at the City University of New York, chronicles the evolution of homophobia through the centuries. Delving into literary sources as diverse as Greek philosophy, Elizabethan poetry, the Bible, and the Victorian novel, as well as historical te ...more
Published November 3rd 2001 by Picador (first published February 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Homophobia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homophobia

Ronald Lett
Dec 26, 2011 Ronald Lett rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
While it necessarily skips over some of the history, the author shares a well-supported history of the possible origins of homophobia, its connections with misogyny and sexism, and speculation as to why it remains one of the last acceptable prejudices (Sexism and even misogyny are still pretty widespread). It is extensively rich with detailed information and references on the parts of history that it does cover; for the parts that are skipped, there are full books written on those topics to fill ...more
Melissa Nickles
Jan 14, 2008 Melissa Nickles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This should be required reading for every person who voted to ban or rescind gay marriage equality.
Mary Anne
I'm not sure how I acquired this book. Since I randomly have a couple of books about homosexuality and history, I can only assume I found them at a used bookstore and wanted to learn more, and now seemed like an okay time to read the biggest one.

I was not aware of the history of homophobia, and actually, the terms sodomy and sodomites were lost on me for quite some time. I certainly learned a lot about the history of homosexuality and homophobia, and there was quite an emphasis on and inclusion
Carlos Michael
Sep 30, 2008 Carlos Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Homophobia has links with sexism and well as with anti-Semitism and with prejudice against people of color." Pg.5

"Homophobia is not limited to heterosexuals." Pg.6

"Homophobia can represent multiple prejudices." Pg.6

"Homophobia remains, perhaps the last acceptable prejudice." Pg.3

Byrne Fone did a great job opening my eyes to the ugliness of homophobia and how terrible that it "Homophobia," remains that last acceptable prejudice.
Thorn MotherIssues
Sep 24, 2009 Thorn MotherIssues rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
There was a lot of stuff I knew already, but it's so dense and expansive that there were plenty of things I didn't know. Almost nothing about women, but that's sort of the point. It's not a complete history (Europe didn't stop having homophobia when Victorian England becomes the focus of the book and England didn't just magically improve and give way to the US for Stonewall) but it's a good one. I'm glad I read it.
Will Bellais
Sep 11, 2007 Will Bellais rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: graduate students
This is the book all those who want to know why gays and lesbians are persecuted should want to read. Persecuting others is in our nature. The book is filled with compassion for gays and lesbians I found refreshing. It may even better than "Homosexuals in Civilization." Well, not quite, because it limits its study, but here is a new insight to gay history and gay literature.
Nan
May 09, 2012 Nan rated it really liked it
It's a great book of research. The author compiles lots of historic documents and literature all over the world so one can understand how homophobia developed its poisonous claws. I must confess that sometimes it's so repetitive, but in the end, it's worth it.
Kathleen O'Neal
Jun 29, 2013 Kathleen O'Neal rated it it was amazing
A fascinating and riveting treatment of the issue of homophobia directed towards men throughout the history of Western civilization. If you read only one book about gay male history, let it be this one.
Christina
Jul 15, 2007 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, nonfiction
The focus is on gay men, which is fine, but i expected this to be an all-embracing term. Still, the book had really useful information.
Tatiana Escobar
Aug 15, 2016 Tatiana Escobar rated it it was amazing
great book, very informative and interesting. I highly recommend it.
Levi
Dec 09, 2014 Levi rated it liked it
Very interesting historical research and opinion but the writing is so dry and repetitive at times that it became a struggle to finish.
Wasabi
Oct 07, 2010 Wasabi rated it liked it
Depressingly real and unattractively revealing.
Scott Dow
Sep 13, 2011 Scott Dow rated it liked it
Expansive and informative. An interesting read, though dense at times.
Mel
Mel rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2012
yohtan
yohtan rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2011
Oriel Calosa
Oriel Calosa rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2015
Sonia
Sonia rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2011
Michael Maloney
Michael Maloney rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Bri G
Bri G rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2011
Levantino
Levantino rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2013
John
John rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2011
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2015
Eric Marxista
Eric Marxista rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Gretchen Jung
Gretchen Jung rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Ron Kastner
Ron Kastner rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Niklas
Niklas rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Chad
Chad rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2011
A.R. Fiano
A.R. Fiano rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2014
u203d
u203d rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Making Gay History: The Half Century Fight for Lesbian and Gay Equal Rights
  • Same-Sex Unions in Premodern Europe
  • Homosexuality & Civilization
  • The Men with the Pink Triangle: The True Life-and-Death Story of Homosexuals in the Nazi Death Camps
  • The Pink Triangle: The Nazi War Against Homosexuals
  • Coming Out Under Fire: The History of Gay Men and Women in World War Two
  • Love Stories: Sex between Men before Homosexuality
  • Hidden from History: Reclaiming the Gay and Lesbian Past
  • A Queer History of the United States
  • Stonewall: The Riots That Sparked the Gay Revolution
  • Inseparable: Desire Between Women in Literature
  • Surpassing the Love of Men: Romantic Friendship and Love Between Women from the Renaissance to the Present
  • Boots of Leather, Slippers of Gold: The History of a Lesbian Community
  • Conduct Unbecoming: Gays and Lesbians in the Us Military
  • Gay, Straight, and the Reason Why: The Science of Sexual Orientation
  • Unspeakable Love: Gay and Lesbian Life in the Middle East
  • Strangers: Homosexual Love in the Nineteenth Century
  • Love the Sin: Sexual Regulation and the Limits of Religious Tolerance

“Newer religions, among them Christianity, saw the world as a battlefield between good and evil. In such a world, sex itself became dichotomized and battle was joined between opposing nations of proper sexual practice." - pg. 70” 1 likes