Start by marking “The Magic Drum And Other Favourite Stories” as Want to Read:
The Magic Drum And Other Favourite Stories

The Magic Drum And Other Favourite Stories

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  471 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A princess thinks she was a bird, a coconut that cost a thousand rupees, and a shepherd with a bag of words...Kings and misers, princes and paupers, wise men and foolish boys, the funniest and oddest men and women come alive in this sparkling new collection of stories. The clever princess will only marry the man who can ask her a question she cannot answer; the orphan boy ...more
Published October 19th 2006 by Penguin Books India , Imprint - Puffin

Ally
Feb 10, 2016 Ally rated it it was amazing
This book really cracked me up! It is written in a really nice Indian style. Moral stories and more fun. I say this is a really fun book!
Ishani
Sep 11, 2011 Ishani rated it really liked it
the book reminds me of my childhood stories... and my grand ma who recited them...
Akshay
Apr 05, 2015 Akshay rated it it was amazing
There is no doubt that the world we live in has become increasingly digital. This has resulted in reading taking a backseat. It is widely believed that children’s literature in India has not evolved much and we continue to narrate stories from the Panchatantra, Amar Chitra Katha or the epics. Hence, Ms. Sudha Murty’s ‘The Magic Drum and Other Stories’ is certainly an improvement. Though most of the stories in the book are retellings from folklore, these stories are timeless. Some of these tales ...more
Niranjani
Never read any of these stories before. They are fresh and new very beautifully narrated but more for kids. I thoroughly enjoyed all the short stories " The nine questions for a princess" ,"A bag of words" and "Magic in the Air" are what my kids enjoyed. But each and every story is unique the author heard them from her grandparents and some are timeless folktales . But a beautiful collection of short stories.
Varsha Kanitkar
Apr 21, 2014 Varsha Kanitkar rated it really liked it
Shelves: comfort
Comfort

This is small and nice collection of short stories. It is an book with an Indian background and so could be recommended to people who can take in context to the Indian life and terms. It contains witty tales and can be read in a short amount of time for a laugh.
Monalisa Padhee
May 22, 2016 Monalisa Padhee rated it liked it
Back to childhood when reading such simple stories gave the utmost joy and the wings of imagination hadn't been clipped. Thank you Sudha Murty for making sure that such simple stories give the life's biggest lessons
Ck Vinod
Apr 20, 2016 Ck Vinod rated it really liked it
What a lovely book. Simple tales which have lasted a long time yet so immersed in wisdom. Must read for parents of young kids. Today's kids need story telling from such good books.
Mini
Dec 03, 2014 Mini rated it really liked it
Tales you've heard, tales you've read somewhere before mostly...but enjoyable nevertheless. To have them all in one book is an advantage. Originally bought for the son's school project.
Sushmitha
Nostalgic ~like chandamama, bala mitra~ like listening to dad/grand parents. Most of the stories are well known ~ kind of an attempt to preserve those simple stories of old times.
OJASWINI
Oct 19, 2015 OJASWINI rated it it was amazing
Srividhya Sreenivaasan
Dec 24, 2014 Srividhya Sreenivaasan rated it it was amazing
It made me to remember the childhood days asking my great grandma to tell stories.Wonderful stories simple language short,sweet, enjoyable.......
Priyanka
Apr 04, 2014 Priyanka rated it liked it
Good collection of short stories for bed time. Kids and adults alike. :)
Nehal Gupta
Jan 25, 2015 Nehal Gupta rated it really liked it
simple stories, each with a beautiful moral.
Varun Vasudevan
Decent read for children below 10.
Arindam Chattopadhyay
Dec 07, 2011 Arindam Chattopadhyay rated it it was amazing
the book contains some excellent stories that can be narrated to the young ones as bed time stories. the stories are short and crispy. completion of one story arouses curiosity for another. all the stories bear certain moral, ethical lessons in them which are worth remembering.
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
This book is meant for the ages 8+. The stories are from various sources that are heard or read by Sudha Murty. All the stories carry a lesson. Interesting stories to read for ages 8+.
Nilima Pisharody
Apr 10, 2013 Nilima Pisharody rated it liked it
Its captivating in the beginning but its grip on me loosened after a few stories. Seemed like too much. And even though it is a 2 hour book, I took 3 days to finish it.
Aparna
Jun 02, 2014 Aparna rated it liked it
A good collection of short stories. Decent read.
Monika S
Funny Stories with great moral
redvelvet
Jan 23, 2011 redvelvet rated it liked it
it is good
Girisha G
Girisha G rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Dushyant Yadav
Dushyant Yadav marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Nishchal Arora
Nishchal Arora rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Kalyani Dayanand Zomte
Kalyani Dayanand Zomte rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Isha Dash
Isha Dash marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Sreeja manoj
Sreeja manoj rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Manju
Manju marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Basil Pathrose
Basil Pathrose is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2016
  • Arsenal: The Making of a Modern Superclub
  • Spy/Counterspy: The autobiography of Dusko Popov
  • Inside the Company: CIA Diary
  • The Meadow
  • 100 Selected Stories (Wordsworth Classics)
  • Thierry Henry - Lonely at the Top: A Biography
Sudha Murty was born in 1950 in Shiggaon in north Karnataka. She did her MTech in computer science, and is now the chairperson of the Infosys Foundation. A prolific writer in English and Kannada, she has written nine novels, four technical books, three travelogues, one collection of short stories, three collections of non-fiction pieces and two books for children.

Her books have been translated int
More about Sudha Murty...