Start by marking “Make Gentle the Life of This World: The Vision of Robert F. Kennedy” as Want to Read:
Make Gentle the Life of This World: The Vision of Robert F. Kennedy

Make Gentle the Life of This World: The Vision of Robert F. Kennedy

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  390 ratings  ·  26 reviews
From the private journals of Robert F. Kennedy come words that spark the imagination and touch the heart, accompanied by photos of both the public and private Kennedy. The late senator’s son, Maxwell Taylor Kennedy, opens his father’s journals to offer the quintessence of his thought. Photographs throughout.
Published May 18th 1998 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Make Gentle the Life of This World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Gentle the Life of This World

Linda Hopf
Robert Kennedy's son tells us that Bobby and Jack (JFK) were both in the habit of collecting favourite quotes and writing down their thoughts/ideas - using them as inspiration for future writings and speeches. Max Kennedy is Bobby's ninth child and he has compiled some of his father's collection. He also went through all of RFK's speeches and writings and pulled some additional material. I am a huge fan of Robert Kennedy. I was too young when he died to appreciate the scope of what Americans los ...more
Hard to rate this one. I liked it a great deal. The photographs were five stars for sure. It was organized well enough.

I wish a bit more background was given in relation to some of the more famous quotes and speeches and thoughts of RFK -- quite a few of them I remember from watching the random Kennedy family documentary here and there on PBS, but the book didn't explain their surrounding circumstances with any detail.

Regardless, what a wonderful and idealistic man, RFK, and one who possessed t
Meena Gupta
Jun 29, 2008 Meena Gupta is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
"Let us dedicate ourselves to
what the Greeks wrote so many years ago
to tame the savageness of man
and make gentle the life of this world."
Robert F Kennedy
( Speaking in Indianapolis, April 4th, 1968,
after the assasination of Dr. Martin Luther King
Rob Daly
I still pick this book up from time to time. It is a wonderful tool for self reflection. You can find a lot of personal credos in this book.
Good selection of his quotes and writings - looking for wedding readings and found a few that might work, but maybe not.
Brakeyshia Samms
This was a great read. It was very inspiring. I really appreciated the diversity of issues that this book tackled, using quotes from RFK himself and others. Obviously there was political backdrop to some quotes, but it did not drown out the message of the book. I plan to re-read this book often, as I will derive new meanings from each quote. What a great man RFK was and will forever be.
Sep 15, 2007 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: history, politics
I beautiful and powerful collection of quotes full of wisdom and history. This book started as JFK's notes and quotes that he liked that he wrote in his day planner. When he was assassinated in 1963 he brother, Bobbby was the one to clean out the oval office. He took the book and began to add to it until his own assassination in 1968. It saw among thousands of papers until own of his youngest sons Maxwell, only five when his Dad was taken from him, began to read it. As he says, "In search of my ...more
Jim Noyes
excellent! thought provoking
An amazing collection of thoughts that I like to come back to as a reminder that every once in a while, history throws us a figure who felt truth love and empathy for his fellow man and fought to do what he could with the power in his life. Light and inspirational. I don't keep many books on my shelf for fear that they will sit there and never be picked up again, but this one is worth having around.
Those that don't agree with me on the political scene might want to skip this review...the book is a compilation drawn from Robert Kennedy's journal and his speeches. I reread it last week in the furor of the Obama campaign. I can't help but think it is possible for this country to be the place RFK envisioned. It is "too soon" to say much else.
It took me a long time to read this very short book, because I insisted on reading it very slowly. Since it was all quotations - often very powerful ones - it was a lot to take in at once, and I wanted to make sure I absorbed it all. But it was perfect for inspiring myself before starting graduate school. I won't say more, at the risk of sounding cheesy.
Reminds us yet again of the true depth of RFK's absence.
His thoughts and words of wisdom apply today has we face the same challenges of social justice,and loss of community. A discussion of his vision of America and true leadership can guide a new generation as we face such a perilous time in our history.
I learned how much this nation, and the world, lost when we lost Robert F. Kennedy. But more than that, I learned that we can still gain so much by studying his words and actions, and that his legacy will continue to give us hope.
This is a collection of sayings and quotes from Bobby Kennedy; and some that he had found important himself. The collection is wonderful and inspirational. It sits next to my copy of Paul Wellstone's Conscience of a Liberal.
Will James
A wonderful insight into the thoughts and life of Robert F Kennedy. A truly inspirational collection of quotes and ideas that have relevance today as much as when they were written.
A collective story of RFK through his son's heart. Max used a nice selection of his famous father's memoirs, Kennedy family photos, and stories he remembered as told by his Uncle Teddy.
Nhat Tran
"And let's dedicate ourselves to what the Greeks wrote so many years ago: to tame the savageness of man and make gentle the life of this world." - Robert F. Kennedy
not a biography, but a collection of words Kennedy used to "challenge and inspire us, and also words he read that inspired and challenged him."
Raymond Thomas
Great collection of notes and quotes from RFK and a multitude of thinkers and writers who influenced RFK's thoughts and views.
Dusty Adair
Short, easy read that lifts your spirit. Makes you wonder what the world would have been like if he wasn't taken from us.
Inspiring. Would that more modern-day public servants were this literate.
Wonderful book of quotes RFK collected, I collect quotes too.
Sep 28, 2007 Bryan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
good insight
Kathleen Appling
Kathleen Appling marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Adam marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
  • Last Lion: The Fall and Rise of Ted Kennedy
  • Sons & Brothers: The Days of Jack and Bobby Kennedy
  • The Kennedy Men: 1901-1963
  • The Dark Side of Camelot
  • Mutual Contempt: Lyndon Johnson, Robert Kennedy, and the Feud that Defined a Decade
  • Ted Kennedy: The Dream That Never Died
  • The Unfinished Odyssey of Robert Kennedy
  • Jackie, Ethel, Joan: Women of Camelot
  • An Unfinished Life: John F. Kennedy, 1917-1963
  • The Men We Became: My Friendship with John F. Kennedy, Jr.
Robert Francis "Bobby" Kennedy, also called RFK, was the United States Attorney General from 1961 to 1964 and a US Senator from New York from 1965 until his assassination in 1968. He was one of US President John F. Kennedy's younger brothers, and also one of his most trusted advisors and worked closely with the president during the Cuban Missile Crisis. He also made a significant contribution to t ...more
More about Robert F. Kennedy...