Start by marking “Make Gentle the Life of This World: The Vision of Robert F. Kennedy” as Want to Read:
Make Gentle the Life of This World: The Vision of Robert F. Kennedy

Make Gentle the Life of This World: The Vision of Robert F. Kennedy

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  437 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
From the private journals of Robert F. Kennedy come words that spark the imagination and touch the heart, accompanied by photos of both the public and private Kennedy. The late senator’s son, Maxwell Taylor Kennedy, opens his father’s journals to offer the quintessence of his thought. Photographs throughout.
Published May 18th 1998 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Make Gentle the Life of This World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Gentle the Life of This World

CC
Jan 07, 2015 CC rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to rate this one. I liked it a great deal. The photographs were five stars for sure. It was organized well enough.

I wish a bit more background was given in relation to some of the more famous quotes and speeches and thoughts of RFK -- quite a few of them I remember from watching the random Kennedy family documentary here and there on PBS, but the book didn't explain their surrounding circumstances with any detail.

Regardless, what a wonderful and idealistic man, RFK, and one who possessed t
Linda Hopf
Jan 24, 2011 Linda Hopf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Kennedy's son tells us that Bobby and Jack (JFK) were both in the habit of collecting favourite quotes and writing down their thoughts/ideas - using them as inspiration for future writings and speeches. Max Kennedy is Bobby's ninth child and he has compiled some of his father's collection. He also went through all of RFK's speeches and writings and pulled some additional material. I am a huge fan of Robert Kennedy. I was too young when he died to appreciate the scope of what Americans los ...more
Meena Gupta
Jun 29, 2008 Meena Gupta is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
"Let us dedicate ourselves to
what the Greeks wrote so many years ago
to tame the savageness of man
and make gentle the life of this world."
Robert F Kennedy
( Speaking in Indianapolis, April 4th, 1968,
after the assasination of Dr. Martin Luther King
Rob Daly
Mar 30, 2008 Rob Daly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still pick this book up from time to time. It is a wonderful tool for self reflection. You can find a lot of personal credos in this book.
Ryan
Mar 13, 2009 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Good selection of his quotes and writings - looking for wedding readings and found a few that might work, but maybe not.
Brakeyshia Samms
This was a great read. It was very inspiring. I really appreciated the diversity of issues that this book tackled, using quotes from RFK himself and others. Obviously there was political backdrop to some quotes, but it did not drown out the message of the book. I plan to re-read this book often, as I will derive new meanings from each quote. What a great man RFK was and will forever be.
Lisa
Sep 15, 2007 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: history, politics
I beautiful and powerful collection of quotes full of wisdom and history. This book started as JFK's notes and quotes that he liked that he wrote in his day planner. When he was assassinated in 1963 he brother, Bobbby was the one to clean out the oval office. He took the book and began to add to it until his own assassination in 1968. It saw among thousands of papers until own of his youngest sons Maxwell, only five when his Dad was taken from him, began to read it. As he says, "In search of my ...more
Joanna
Aug 02, 2016 Joanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A neat little compilation of some beautiful quotations both by RFK and ones that he related too. Will defjnitely go back and re read some of the passages and authors mentioned in more detail. My reservation about the book came mainly from the fact that some of the sections were very short and could have benefitted from more commentary e.g. comparingand contrasting selections from similar themes- I think a chronological order may have been a more interesting format, but nonetheless some nice nugg ...more
Jim Noyes
May 31, 2014 Jim Noyes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent! thought provoking
Casey
Nov 19, 2014 Casey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing collection of thoughts that I like to come back to as a reminder that every once in a while, history throws us a figure who felt truth love and empathy for his fellow man and fought to do what he could with the power in his life. Light and inspirational. I don't keep many books on my shelf for fear that they will sit there and never be picked up again, but this one is worth having around.
Su
Feb 12, 2008 Su rated it it was amazing
Those that don't agree with me on the political scene might want to skip this review...the book is a compilation drawn from Robert Kennedy's journal and his speeches. I reread it last week in the furor of the Obama campaign. I can't help but think it is possible for this country to be the place RFK envisioned. It is "too soon" to say much else.
Maya
Oct 24, 2011 Maya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
It took me a long time to read this very short book, because I insisted on reading it very slowly. Since it was all quotations - often very powerful ones - it was a lot to take in at once, and I wanted to make sure I absorbed it all. But it was perfect for inspiring myself before starting graduate school. I won't say more, at the risk of sounding cheesy.
Shawn
Jan 12, 2014 Shawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reminds us yet again of the true depth of RFK's absence.
James
Sep 19, 2010 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
His thoughts and words of wisdom apply today has we face the same challenges of social justice,and loss of community. A discussion of his vision of America and true leadership can guide a new generation as we face such a perilous time in our history.
Cynda
Feb 09, 2010 Cynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned how much this nation, and the world, lost when we lost Robert F. Kennedy. But more than that, I learned that we can still gain so much by studying his words and actions, and that his legacy will continue to give us hope.
Tom
Jun 06, 2007 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of sayings and quotes from Bobby Kennedy; and some that he had found important himself. The collection is wonderful and inspirational. It sits next to my copy of Paul Wellstone's Conscience of a Liberal.
Will James
Aug 09, 2011 Will James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful insight into the thoughts and life of Robert F Kennedy. A truly inspirational collection of quotes and ideas that have relevance today as much as when they were written.
Mona
Mar 31, 2009 Mona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collective story of RFK through his son's heart. Max used a nice selection of his famous father's memoirs, Kennedy family photos, and stories he remembered as told by his Uncle Teddy.
Nhat Tran
Feb 21, 2013 Nhat Tran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"And let's dedicate ourselves to what the Greeks wrote so many years ago: to tame the savageness of man and make gentle the life of this world." - Robert F. Kennedy
Angie
Jan 15, 2011 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
not a biography, but a collection of words Kennedy used to "challenge and inspire us, and also words he read that inspired and challenged him."
Raymond Thomas
Dec 16, 2013 Raymond Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Great collection of notes and quotes from RFK and a multitude of thinkers and writers who influenced RFK's thoughts and views.
Dusty Adair
Jul 08, 2013 Dusty Adair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, easy read that lifts your spirit. Makes you wonder what the world would have been like if he wasn't taken from us.
Bliss
Mar 10, 2012 Bliss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring. Would that more modern-day public servants were this literate.
Tobi
Apr 25, 2008 Tobi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book of quotes RFK collected, I collect quotes too.
Keri
Feb 01, 2016 Keri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 stars for the beautiful cover.
Courtney Burns
A lovely and inspiring book.
Bryan
Sep 28, 2007 Bryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
good insight
Stella
Sep 07, 2012 Stella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Casey Bartlomiejus
Casey Bartlomiejus marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
  • Counselor: A Life at the Edge of History
  • Last Lion: The Fall and Rise of Ted Kennedy
  • Kennedy and Nixon: The Rivalry That Shaped Postwar America
  • President Kennedy: Profile of Power
  • Mutual Contempt: Lyndon Johnson, Robert Kennedy, and the Feud that Defined a Decade
  • The Unfinished Odyssey of Robert Kennedy
  • The Men We Became: My Friendship with John F. Kennedy, Jr.
  • Dear Mrs. Kennedy: The World Shares Its Grief, Letters November 1963
  • The Sins of the Father: Joseph P. Kennedy and the Dynasty He Founded
  • Times to Remember
  • Witness: The Story of David Smith, Chief Prosecution Witness in the Moors Murders Case
  • The Kennedy Men: 1901-1963
Robert Francis "Bobby" Kennedy, also called RFK, was the United States Attorney General from 1961 to 1964 and a US Senator from New York from 1965 until his assassination in 1968. He was one of US President John F. Kennedy's younger brothers, and also one of his most trusted advisors and worked closely with the president during the Cuban Missile Crisis. He also made a significant contribution to t ...more
More about Robert F. Kennedy...