Start by marking “Selected Shorts: New American Stories” as Want to Read:
Selected Shorts: New American Stories

Selected Shorts: New American Stories

A diverse selection of stories of contemporary American life and dreams lost and then found, this audio CD from the acclaimed Selected Shorts series features works from four of today’s most talented authors: Sherman Alexie, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Aleksandar Hemon, and Jhumpa Lahiri. A robbery and its dramatic consequences lead a Spokane Indian to rethink his entire life ...more
Audio CD, 2 pages
Published October 1st 2011 by Symphony Space

To ask other readers questions about Selected Shorts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Shorts

Jeffrey
Mar 22, 2014 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
"Selected Shorts: New American Stories" is a collection of four short stories by prolific (and non-WASP) modern writers, thus the "new" in the "New American Stories" probably. One could argue that there isn't anything "new" about these stories, only the fact that they're getting recognized, but maybe I'm being unfair to the editors there.

Anyway, in my opinion, three of these stories are fantastic. My least favorite, unfortunately, was the one by Aleksandar Hemon. It just didn't hit with the same
Lindsay
Feb 20, 2015 Lindsay rated it really liked it
I wish the library had more of these shorts on audio download (or just more audio short stories in general). It was amazing to revisit the Alexie story for the nth time--he will never get old--and BD Wong delivers it in such a way that it transforms from a short story to a monologue (I never realized that story could hold any more emotion than it already does, but dang, man). I'm excited to continue reading Adichie and really jump in with Lahiri's work as well. The Hemon story wasn't as strong, ...more
Loretta
Mar 28, 2014 Loretta rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book while walking. Stunning stories, especially the one by Jhumpa Lahiri.
Victor
Oct 16, 2016 Victor rated it it was amazing
While I'm not a huge fan of the Selected Shorts format (mainly the audience), the stories by Jhumpa Lahiri, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, and Sherman Alexie are such excellent and essential works that I'm willing to overlook that part of it. "Hell-Heaven" (Lahiri) hit the notes of domestic lives of immigrants that White Teeth missed for me; "The Thing Around Your Neck" (Adichie) reminded me of A Pagan Place in its isolating effect of the second person narration; "Breaking and Entering" (Alexie) show ...more
James
Dec 21, 2011 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, 2012, audiobook
A collected series of short stories from the NPR radio show, in which actors read the work of talented authors.

Synopses cribbed from Amazon: A robbery and its dramatic consequences lead a Spokane Indian to rethink his entire life in Alexie’s "Breaking and Entering," dynamically performed by B. D. Wong. A young Nigerian woman tackles adventure by taking a Greyhound bus to the end of the line and starting a new life in Hartford in Adichie’s longing-filled story "The Thing Around Your Neck," perfo
Bobbi
Jan 18, 2014 Bobbi rated it really liked it
Four short stories by authors I had never read before: Sherman Alexie, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Jhumpa Lahiri and Alekxandar Hemon. All of these stories were moving, and all interesting and well written. The story by Alexie "Breaking and Entering" (with some similarities to the Trayvon Martin case that it gave me pause... The actors reading the stories did an outstanding job, as they made the stories come alive.
Andy
Nov 27, 2014 Andy rated it really liked it
I'd never heard of Sherman Alexie before but listened to Breaking and Entering on the selected shorts podcast. The themes are particularly resonant given current events in Ferguson. It's a deceptively simple story told from the point of view of the 'innocent party' of a burglary detailing quite how bad things can get and how quickly. Major credit to BD Wong who delivers a barnstorming, emotional performance that really sells it.

Good stuff.
Mo Hurley
Jun 28, 2014 Mo Hurley rated it it was ok
I am really disappointed with this collection, especially Aleksandar Hemon's story. He set out to expose harmful ethnic stereotypes, but his story is grounded in a blatantly inaccurate religious stereotype. I have also heard better from both Jhumpa Lahiri and Chimamanda Ngozi.
Christina
Four short stories that focus on culturally diverse protagonists and often deal with the challenges of being a minority in America. I can't say I loved any of the stories, but all were interesting, well-read and worth listening to.
Shannon
Mar 15, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it
I chose this because I knew and liked two of the authors (Sherman Alexie and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie) and and ended up enjoying all four stories quite a bit. A fascinating series of vignettes from Americans from different worlds, I'd recommend it.
Earline
Jul 02, 2013 Earline rated it liked it
I loved "Breaking and Entering" and "Hell-Heaven." I'm glad I went outside of my comfort zone I listened to this collection of authors I normally wouldn't have been interested in. I definitely should check out more short stories by Alexie and Lahiri.
Ritu
Apr 10, 2016 Ritu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Jhumpa Lahiri's short story amongs the four short stories was the best for me. True to her style, Jumpa captured the Indiam American issues very well.
A must read.
Rebecca
Jul 16, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, oct13-sep14
Great readings. Love getting exposed to some authors I did not know--Jhumpa Lahiri and Aleksander Hemon.
Laura K
Jan 03, 2015 Laura K rated it really liked it
another audio book treat. all four stories were fantastic. Nat and I especially liked That Thing Around Your Neck and the Alexie story (which was a brilliant audio performance).
Natalie Moreland
Aug 16, 2014 Natalie Moreland rated it it was amazing
Sherman Alexie's Breaking and Entering was especially haunting with the current events in Ferguson
Michelle
Nov 30, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it
I finally made it through this! I thought two of the stories were pretty good--Sherman Alexie's and Jhumpa Lahiri's. Glad to have my audiobook AND my ReadHarderChallenge done!!!
KarmA1966
Jun 26, 2015 KarmA1966 rated it liked it
The Sherman Alexie story is brilliant. The Lahiri piece is also very powerful. The others are merely okay.
Brent Forkner
Apr 08, 2016 Brent Forkner rated it really liked it
Fascinating stories and some are funny! and by "new American" they mean "new" Americans, immigrant stories.
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Archerjoe
Archerjoe rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Geekyreader
Geekyreader rated it liked it
May 23, 2012
Parham Vafaee
Parham Vafaee rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Nivedita Sharma
Nivedita Sharma rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Nytecaptive
Nytecaptive rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2012
Annica
Annica rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Anna
Oct 05, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
Excellently performed short stories.
Anita C
Anita C rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
Terri
Terri rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2012
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Alice
Alice rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2015
  • The Best Women's Travel Writing 2010: True Stories from Around the World
  • Power and Protest: Global Revolution and the Rise of Detente
  • The Ecco Anthology of Contemporary American Short Fiction
  • The Grief of Strangers
  • How to Write About Music: Excerpts from the 33 1/3 Series, Magazines, Books and Blogs with Advice from Industry-leading Writers
  • Modern South Asia: History, Culture and Political Economy
  • The Best Halloween Ever (The Herdmans #3)
  • The New Hugo Winners 1983-1985