Start by marking “Blood and Bullets (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood and Bullets (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #1)

Blood and Bullets (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty-Hunter #1)

3.57  ·  Rating Details ·  1,045 Ratings  ·  167 Reviews
He lives to kill monsters. He keeps his city safe. And his silver hollow-points and back-from-the-dead abilities help him take out any kind of supernatural threat. But now an immortal evil has this bad-ass bounty hunter dead in its sights. . .

Ever since a monster murdered his family, Deacon Chalk hunts any creature that preys on the innocent. So when a pretty vampire girl
Published February 7th 2012 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Blood and Bullets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood and Bullets

Fangs for the Fantasy
Mar 21, 2013 Fangs for the Fantasy rated it did not like it
Deacon Frost lost his family to the monsters, something he lives with every day. No longer have a reason or desire to live, he goes out and hunts them, without regard for his own safety backed up by victims and survivors

But now he is the target – an elaborate trap has been set up to catch him and another would be hunter is being used as the bait. The problem is he doesn’t know who is targetting him or why – but if he can’t find out why he is the one being targeted – or even if he is the target –
Jeffrey N.  Baker
Feb 20, 2012 Jeffrey N. Baker rated it did not like it
James R. Tuck is a local author here in GA. I had picked up his book to support him after having had an email exchange with him. He's a very nice guy and was very open about his experiences getting published.

I really wanted to enjoy his book. But sadly I can't say that I did. The main character, Deacon Chalk, is a Marry Sue for James. He is so idealized that I was constantly taken out of the story. It came to the point that I could predict how situations would play out.

For instance, Deacon went
Nicole
My review

This was an action packed read. A nice change is the paranormal genera. Deacon Chase's family was killed by vampires and now his only goal is to kill monsters until one takes him out so that he may join his family. Deacon is not your typical hero, he is a 6'4  320 pound bad boy with a bad attitude... and a good Catholic. He owns a strip club that helps fund his fight and has taken in anyone who has  had a run-in with the monsters. Shaved head, goatee, and covered in tattoos her appea
Katherine McCarthy
Feb 07, 2012 Katherine McCarthy rated it really liked it
My Thoughts
________________________________________

My inner goddess now calls out for Deacon Chalk! This fearless and brave Bad Boy Hero that protects humanity is now one of my favorites. Confidence and power radiates from his very essence. He’s scary and intimidating with his goatee and tattoos. The kind of man who will make you want to run and hide at first; but if you look a little closer, he’ll stir something deep inside that will no longer let you look away. He’s a strong, hot, alpha male w
Nov 10, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Review also posted on The Cubicle Escapee

I knew within 3 pages I was going to freaking love this book, and love this book I did. Deacon is like Buffy but way more badass... Don't get my wrong I am a Buffy fangirl but I would not want to come face to face with Deacon.

Actually if I was going to sum this book up I would say it is like Buffy but for adults. This book was dark, gritty and very intense.

I liked Deacon I found him very likable and developed well, I will be curious to see how he is devel
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Talk about a book that delivers on its cover! BLOOD AND BULLETS kicks off a brand new urban fantasy series featuring a wicked cool protagonist who’s a cross between Batman and Snake from Escape From New York. Deacon Chalk, monster bounty-hunter, packs every type of heat known to man (and some that aren’t). His arsenal is seriously impressive but no more so that Deacon himself. After name dropping a few uber famous UF characters like Anita, Cat and Bones
Mihir
Dec 11, 2011 Mihir rated it it was ok

Full review over at Fantasy Book Critic

Overall Rating = 2 & 1/2 stars

ANALYSIS: James R. Tuck’s debut promised a lot of blood, mayhem and particularly dark corners in the urban fantasy world. I am usually a sucker for urban fantasy stories and if they are of the darker kind, then it just becomes that much easier for me to pick up those books. So it's with a similar kind of anticipation that I went into the first Deacon Chalk book.

The story is a very traditional urban fantasy with Deacon C
Stephanie  G
Feb 20, 2012 Stephanie G rated it liked it
Deacon Chalk lost his family five years ago to the things that go bump in the night. Ever since he lost them he has hunted those things down, and been involved with the seedy underworld of the paranormal. Vampires, using a want-to-be-hunter named Larson, set a trap for Deacon. He manages to make it out of the trap, and goes on a quest to see who wants him dead.

This book delivers exactly what the title says. It is a pulp urban fantasy, that’s hero reminds me of almost any buff, bald action hero.
Mandi Schreiner
Jan 04, 2012 Mandi Schreiner rated it liked it
Shelves: uf
Deacon Chalk is on a mission. Five years ago his wife and kids were brutally murdered by vampires. He has spent every day since, hunting those monsters, not caring if he gets taken out in the process. His proper title is an occult bounty hunter, and he also owns Polecats, a strip club.

One night, a child that reminds him very much of the daughter he lost comes to him. Except, this child is a vampire. Hesitant though to outright kill her, she starts to ask for his help to take down a mysterious “a
Maghon Thomas
Feb 22, 2012 Maghon Thomas rated it really liked it
I would like to thank, as always, R2R and the author for giving me a copy to read for a review :)

First I would like to say that if you like a great fantasy ride filled with action and fun weapons, this one is for you! Also, I have a thing for writing in the guys perspective. I love a strong female heroine but it's a rare treat when you hear from a dude :) now, on to the review...

I liked this book, alot. First, you have a guy, who's big, bad, scary, kills things, but still has a conscience! Ohhh
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 13, 2014 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it
You know, I like this book. This is another case of what I call brain candy. From the word go this book is breakneck action. Facing off with a Monster (Bounty) Hunter primarily after vampires in this case we will join him in lakes of blood, tons of violet action and expending truck loads of ammunition...

What you get here is the proverbial "thrill ride".

Deacon (who sounds suspiciously like Bobby Singer from Supernatural in the audio version) tells us the story dropping in just enough back ground
Dark Faerie Tales
Nov 12, 2011 Dark Faerie Tales rated it it was amazing
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A badass man intent on taking as many of the monsters down before they get him first. Full of fighting and helpful monster killing hints; like Burn Notice for the supernatural community.

Opening Sentence: Some nights are destined to go to hell.

The Review:

I will admit that the title of this book, Blood and Bullets, turned me off from reading it at first. But first impressions can be deceiving. Like the book itself, the true nature of the hero
Shawnie Nicole
Feb 07, 2014 Shawnie Nicole rated it really liked it
I’m not big on anything not directly related to romance, but when I saw the cover to this book I picked it up and then the book blurb pulled me the rest of the way.

This book is an feminist worse nightmare and I can see why a lot of people would not like this book, but it was actually in my own opinion refreshing to read something that didn’t directly jump into a heroine who kicks ass and out mans, the men while still being female. That shit was getting old for me, and the fact that there was no
Marlene
Jun 14, 2012 Marlene rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

I was jonesing for a Harry Dresden fix, and somebody mentioned Deacon Chalk might be just the man to tide me over. Whoever that was, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now you're wondering who the hell Deacon Chalk might be. Notice I didn't say heck. Deacon Chalk would never be that mealy-mouthed.

Deacon Chalk is the monster-hunting main character of Blood and Bullets, the first novel by James R. Tuck in the urban fantasy series that is, of course, named after
Nicole
Feb 04, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2012/02/06/...

Publisher: Kensington
Publish Date: February 7th
How I got this book: ARC from publisher

Tuck is debuting his new series, Deacon Chalk Occult Bounty Hunter, with Blood and Bullets. This is a hard review for me to write, because while I really enjoyed the story, the book also didn’t work for me in a lot of ways.

Deacon lives for one thing and one thing only: killing vampires to avenge his family. His whole life seems to revolve ar
Katy
Aug 29, 2012 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of darker, male-oriented UF
Shelves: ebook
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of dark, male-oriented Urban Fantasy
Trigger Warnings: mass slaughter, torture

My Thoughts: I was very amused by the way Tuck references several other well-known urban fantasy series when discussing other monster hunters. It's a sort of meta-fiction with fiction.

This is very fast-paced and dark, with lots of slaughter and blood and shooting. The editing could have been better—for instance Appollonia's eyes change from honey y
Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* .
Feb 09, 2012 Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . rated it liked it
Recommended to Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* by: PR&UFF R2R
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Blood and Bullets is the first book in the Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty-Hunter series written by James R. Tuck. I read this as part of a R2R with Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy Fanatics! As always, thank you to the awesome moderators of the group as well as to the author for the opportunity to read this book.

Review:
I liked this book. It was chocked full of exciting adventure, action and great characters. It was written in Deacon Chalk's POV and the writing style was fluid and well done.
Kara-karina
Sep 15, 2011 Kara-karina rated it it was amazing
4.5/5
Narcissistic and overly repetitive with descriptions. However, the core of this book - high octane action, some sly humour and almost comic book-like characters is undeniably entertaining.

I would say Deacon Chalk is some sort of a mix reminiscent of early Anita Blake, Sin City and Split Second. Deacon is a Southern gentleman through and through, very gentle with women, covered in tattoos and looking very bad-ass. His admission of being irresistible to a certain type of ladies, and a very s
Lexi Ander
Aug 07, 2012 Lexi Ander rated it really liked it
Deacon Chalk lost his family five years ago to a "monster" and since then he's become a bounty hunter for the things that go bump in the night.

A couple of things to note, if you are a teddy bear and rainbow reader, this is not for you. Deacon has no remorse for what he does. He doesn't lay awake at night, ridden by guilt over his actions, word, or death of friend or enemy.

Deacon is a gun toting, muscle car driving, Georgia good ole boy. He is surrounded by a host of people he's helped over the
Kathy Martin
Jan 10, 2012 Kathy Martin rated it really liked it
This was urban fantasy at its gritty and violent best. Deacon Chalk spends a lot more time talking about weapons and killing the monsters than doing anything else. It all starts when he is lured to an ambush. He does manage to escape along with the human who tried to stake him thinking he was a vampire. This starts Deacon on a quest to find out which vampire targeted him. It would take a very powerful one to control the number of lesser vampires sent after him.

Deacon works out of Polecats - a st
Liz
Feb 10, 2012 Liz rated it it was ok
Shelves: para-norm, uf
I read this book as part of the Read2Review program in the PNR & Urban Fantasy Fanatics discussion group! Thank you to them and the author for the opportunity to read an advanced copy of Blood and Bullets.

Blood and Bullets was an intense and bloody sp
Michelle
Mar 30, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Blood and Bullets is the first book in the Deacon Chalk, Occult Bounty Hunter series by James R Tuck and an Urban Fantasy from Kensington.

Blurb:

He lives to kill monsters. He keeps his city safe. And his silver hollow-points and back from the dead abilities help him take out any kind of supernatural threat. But now an immortal evil has this bad ass bounty hunter dead in its sights...

Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2012/01/...

Deacon Chalk is a man with a mission. After he’s cornered by a young vamp asking for his protection outside his place of business, he knows something’s not right. He kills vamps. He certainly doesn’t protect them, and when he’s jumped by a group of vamps bent on draining him dry, along with a (very) amateur vampire hunter, he’s sure something big is going down. His search for the culprit leads him to a very powerful vamp b
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Deacon Chalk is a monster hunter. No, he doesn’t have a show on Animal Planet or Discovery Channel. He is an Occult Bounty Hunter and ever since a Nephilim killed his family, turning his life upside down, he’s been open for business. His first job was killing the Nephilim and for five years he’s been successful at his job. You can hire him to hunt down a monster and he’ll get the job done or die trying. And he’s not afraid to die because when he does he can be with his family again. The only thi ...more
The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft
Feb 06, 2012 The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal, Vampire, Werewolf, other shifter, Urban fantasy
Talk about your protagonist with a Death Wish! One Deacon Chalk, monster-tracker, bounty-hunter of evil, paid to kill monsters, but consciously and unconsciously on hold, waiting for the one monster that he can’t stop-whichever monster will finally kill him, so that at last he can be reunited with the family he lost suddenly and violently only five years ago: wife, daughter, son. Chalk is himself dead-and-returned, killed by Nephilim while rescuing an abducted Angel, then healed and resurrected ...more
Sally Kilpatrick
Jul 09, 2013 Sally Kilpatrick rated it really liked it
Okay, I've struggled with how to rate this book. On the one hand, I really love the character of Deacon Chalk. Sure, he's a total badass, but he also eats sushi. How cool is that?

Love, love, love Tuck's voice. Some of his asides as Deacon made me snort with laughter in a most unladylike fashion.

Premise? You can't beat using a strip club called Polecats as your base of operation for vampire hunting complete with a chain-smoking priest as your bartender.

The cons? Maybe this is because we're coming
Amy Jacobs
Dec 23, 2011 Amy Jacobs rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This is going to be a hard review to write. Bad ass monsters? Check. Down and dirty hero? Check. Lots of action? Check. Great story? Kind of.

I had a really hard time enjoying this book. While the character of Deacon Chalk was sexy and bad ass, he wasn't one that attracted my interest. He wasn't so much an alpha hero you would come to expect in the sense of good guy will prevail, simply because he is at times so rugged and dirty as the bad guys. He can kick butt and take names when he feels like
Courtney
Jul 27, 2013 Courtney rated it did not like it
I... I tried. I made it about maaaybe two chapters in before I decided it was written entirely too much like a truly terrible fan fiction. Terribly written.

Seriously, the main character regurgitates his unbelievable back story in two pages. All of it. At once. No professional level writer does that and expects to be taken seriously. And certainly not with a back story that's quite so ... involved as that one was. It probably should have been book one all by itself, not this crap.

Also, as soon a
Eric Maldonado
Oct 22, 2012 Eric Maldonado rated it liked it
There are good things about the book that show promise regarding the premise and the plot line and you can see a vast amount of material to produce a long running series BUT the dialogue and some of the scenarios where the character is inside his own head aren't good at all; don't get me wrong want to read the next book in the series but i would have this writer tell his editor to earn his keep because the dialogue is cheezy and overly done, he needs to learn that less is more; good example is w ...more
Kayla Eklund
Mar 23, 2012 Kayla Eklund rated it really liked it
Blood and Bullets was a great urban fantasy novel. I got very emotionally involved in it. Deacon's dark sarcastic humor had me cracking up laughing quite a bit. Beacon was a strong male character. He went through a lot that would make most people curl into a ball and give up on life. However, he didn't let that stop him. After his family was killed, he avenged their deaths by killing the monsters that killed them. I really hope to see a relationship bloom between him and Tiffany in the future. T ...more
  • Wolf's Trap (Wolf Cycle, #1)
  • Apocalyptic Moon (After the Bane, #1)
  • Dead Light
  • The Gift of Illusion
  • Her Dark Destiny (Hunters of the Dark, #1)
  • The Bonded
  • Nightwolves on the Prowl
  • Wolf Tracker (After the Crash #3)
  • Good Intentions (Dead War #1)
  • Strange Places (Finding Tayna, #1)
  • Jack Templar And The Lord Of The Demons (The Templar Chronicles, #5)
  • Matt Archer: Bloodlines (Matt Archer #4)
  • SILVER: Acheron (A River of Pain) (The Amaranthe Chronicles, #1) (Silver, #1)
  • Deadly Pursuit (Dark Desires #2)
  • Awakening the Nightmare (Symmetria #1)
  • The Newstead Project
  • To Walk the Night (Kat Redding, #1)
  • Hard Spell (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation #1)
I am the author of the Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter series. Book one, BLOOD AND BULLETS, will be out from Kensington Publishing February 7, 2012.

I write DARK URBAN FANTASY. It is gritty, it is violent, it is bloody, it is DARK. The monsters are monstrous and they do Very Bad Things. The good guys are Big Damn Heroes.
I write the ultimate thrill ride in the form of a book, just for you. I wan
More about James R. Tuck...

Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty-Hunter (3 books)
  • Blood and Silver (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter, #2)
  • Blood and Magick (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #3)

“And vampires never sparkle unless they just ate a stripper.” 26 likes