Start by marking “The Maidstone Lighthouse” as Want to Read:
The Maidstone Lighthouse

The Maidstone Lighthouse

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  34 reviews
From the gifted storyteller behind "The Man Who Loved Jane Austen" comes a spellbinding new novel set in a picturesque Rhode Island seaside town awash in secrets and mysteries.
Published September 1st 2007 by Kensington (first published August 31st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Maidstone Lighthouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maidstone Lighthouse

Susan
Enjoyable book. The author's easy writing style held me inside the story and I felt as if I were there with all the characters. The sense of place was predominant in the story line and I appreciated that as it was so well done.

The characters had depth to them and each their own personalities which made their interaction a joy to read.

One quibble - this may be a spoiler - (view spoiler)
Patty
This was an easy read and I enjoyed it for the most part. Some of it read a little too much like a romance novel - in how fast she fell in love and it was a little corny at times. I also didn't like how fast she was to jump into bed.

I also found myself annoyed at how often her "romantic" side and "practical side argued with each other. It would have been a nice tecnique if it hadn't been overused.

Overall, though, I liked it.
Shauna
The mystery and intrigue of this mild ghost story were enjoyable, but I could have done with fewer racy comments. At least I only had to skip a paragraph here and there instead of numerous pages at a time.
Hilary Campbell
Not exactly deep reading. Don't hurt yourself trying to find a copy of this one.
Melissa
So, as I mentioned in my Friday Finds post, I happened across this book while browsing the stacks at BJ's. They had loads of books on my TBR list, one of which I picked up (The Hunger Games), but what caught my eye was the beautiful cover of this book, so I read the cover and my interest was piqued. I'd never heard of the title or the author, and when I got home and searched the blogging sites I read, there were no reviews to be seen.

I really enjoyed reading this book. O'Rourke's writing style i
Angie
I saw several copies of this book on hold in my local library as a "book club" hold, so I figured it would be a good discussion storyline... Eh. Not so much.

Another reviewer classified this book as a good "poolside read." She was right. It's too Harlequin Romance for my tastes -- too much heaving bosom, vivid fantasy, and sidelong glances for me to really get to the ghost mystery storyline hiding underneath.

To tell you the truth, I almost gave up a third of the way through because the story wasn
Miccilina Piraino
I could not put this down once I started reading, I got caught up in the story, the story within the story and the characters. I started to get it and figure out the ending about half way in, but I do that with books and with movies too if I am really into them. I kept thinking, boy would THIS ever make a great movie! I found the language at times, especially the love scenes, charmingly reminiscent of some of the Victorian Romance novels I had read as a teen, but it fit and was a good part of th ...more
Rachel
Aug 19, 2008 Rachel rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rachel by: Library Readers Choice
Sandra
To give the book some credit, I did finish it in one night. I'm not sure if it was more of an insomnia induced late night reading fest, or if I was that into the book. I'm suspecting the former.

The premise of the book was okay. Susan leaves New York for the healing power of Freedman's Cove, RI--where she spent her summers growing up--after her lover is presumed dead in an airplane crash and she can't seem to get over it.

Some twists and turns kept me somewhat interested, but the whole talking-to
Anita
When Sue Marks's lover is lost at sea in a plane crash her grief is overwhelming. She can't seem to accept that he's gone, and she thinks she keeps seeing him around town. To get away from the memories she goes to Freedman's Cove, Rhode Island to the Victorian House she inherited from her Great Aunt. There Susan comes face to face with the ghost of one of her ancestors, a young girl who was tragically killed at a young age. Susan trys to solve the mystery of her relative and meets an old acquant ...more
Joey
Oct 17, 2008 Joey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joey by: library
Sabrina
Janet
Weak plot, lousy characters
Margaret
Mar 18, 2012 Margaret rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like lighthouse stories, romance, or mystery
Recommended to Margaret by: Found on booklist of lighthouse books
I found this book on a list of books with "lighthouse" in the title, and put it on hold at the library. When I finally got it and started reading it, I thought " Oh! It's a romance novel!" Not what I usually read! But I decided to read it anyway (I have a thing for books set in a lighthouse.) and found out that it was a romance/mystery/ghost story. At first I thought it wouldn't all come together, but ! After a heart-pounding conclusion, all loose-ends were tied up satisfactorily.
Cheryl
Aug 20, 2008 Cheryl rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cheryl by: Mukilteo Library
I just finished this book, some parts are a little racy, in that they just tell you there was lovemaking, they don't actually describe it, like so many "romantic" (aka smutty) books do. I liked the ending, and the twist I did not even see coming. Not to mention the fact that the author discussed it in depth with her late husband before he died young. I am sure this book holds a special place in her heart, as it does for mine. I really liked it. I am a romantic at heart though...
I wish books came with a rating like movies do. If this had a "movie rating" it would definitely be an "R" for sexual scenes and language. It was a dissappointment- the man who loved jane Austen was better with less language. It's one of those you wish you hadn't read and wonder why you even finished it.
Kaye
I liked this book in the beginning - especially when the author took the story near the ocean - I guess I have a thing for the sea - but I found "Sue" to be kinda of stupid and then the author got too crude for me - especially when it came to intimate moments. Disappointing book.
Emilee
Aug 28, 2008 Emilee added it
I finished this book and I enjoyed it. It was a little hard getting into but once I started getting used to the characters and the point of the story, I started to really enjoy it. There were a couple "adult" parts that I had to read over but other than that it wasn't too bad.
Patti
This book couldn't decide what it wanted to be: a romance, a mystery, a ghost story, a thriller. It was okay, and I guess it wrapped everything up in the end, but it felt a little forced to me. Still, it was a quick read and I didn't feel like I'd wasted my time.
Karen
Eh....it was pretty good. Some suspenseful moments. Some romantic stuff. Some stuff that was a little too descriptive. Pretty far fetched story.
I read that the author's deceased husband actually wrote most of it, and she just finished it and got it published!
Nancy
It was a relief to finally read something light and easy, even though it was predictable and a little far-fetched. I’m always attracted to books about the sea which is why I picked this book up at the Goodwill store. I read it in four days.
Dianne
I picked this up during a library browse and thought it looked right up my alley. A very enjoyable read, well written with some interesting plot twists. I am going to read her other book as well.
Alisa
Interesting story...little too gushy for me in parts, but I LOVED the whole lighthouse aspect and tales from the past of what happened around the lighthouse. Made me want to visit Cape Cod.
Lynne
I read another book by this author and enjoyed so I decided to try another. Has a bit of a ghost story mixed in the romance. An enjoyable read.
Cindy
I found myself bored with this book by page 30. I tried to read it but found myself skimming. It seemed like it kept repeating itself.
Janice
This was a quick, predictable read. I probaby wouldn't recommend it if asked but it was good poolside reading.
Erin
Way too steamy for me. And the steaminess didn't even really fit the story.
Kathy McCullough
This book has everything, romance, mystery, loved the characters.
Valerie
A light ghost story/romance. Nice summer reading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
“Where shall I begin? Which of all my important nothings shall I tell you first?” (J.A. June 15, 1808)

That I reside in the Victorian village of Monrovia, California; a mere two miles from my place of employment, The City Of Hope. COH is a cancer research hospital where I spend most daylight hours in the operating room as a scrub nurse.

That I am a native Californian, having been born in Glendale, a
More about Sally Smith O'Rourke...
The Man Who Loved Jane Austen Yours Affectionately, Jane Austen (The Man Who Loved Jane Austen, #2) Christmas at Sea Pines Cottage Days Of Future Past