Start by marking “The Faithless” as Want to Read:
The Faithless

The Faithless

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,420 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
Number-one bestselling author Martina Cole (The Family, Hard Girls) delivers a hard-hitting novel that’s a guaranteed bestseller.

Published 2011 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about The Faithless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Faithless

Best Crime Books & More
For the last three books that Martina Cole has written, I finish it and then promise myself I won't waste money buying it full price. I feel terrible saying that but it's the truth. I have always been a huge Martina Cole fan and loved the older books such as `Ladykillers'. Sadly it seems that many authors who have huge success seem to go rapidly downhill. I fear that Martina Cole is now firmly on that list. So after finishing her last book entitled The Family I swore that was it. Yet here I am a ...more
Mary Thomas
Jan 04, 2013 Mary Thomas rated it did not like it
After reading this latest novel by Martina Cole I really feel that she is just rehashing previous stories. There is so much repetition in her books these days that I rapidly lose patience with the story. I also repeatedly am feeling that I have read all of this before in previous Cole books.
The same old story of one strong beautiful sister not getting the life she feels she deserves. The younger weaker sister who always has a nervous disorder after witnessing some form of violence. The neglected
Carol Peace
Jul 17, 2012 Carol Peace rated it really liked it
Martina Cole does it again. I was lent this book by a friend who passes all Martina Coles boks to me I can't believe she has ever written a bad book, this certainly wasn't one.
It starts with Cynthia Tailor and her unsettled life. She is never happy unless she is steeped in tragedy,She turned down Johnny and married Jimmy but her sister Celeste marries Johnny and there is no one more unhappy than Cynthia.She does not want her 2 children, can't be bothered with them and is happy to let her mother
Liz Haverda
Feb 24, 2012 Liz Haverda rated it it was ok
I've read most of Martina Cole's books and usually they are paced well, interesting in content (though I think she may have overdone East-End gansters now) and have a good twist. But, this book was very poor. I also very much dislike books that tell you the ending in the first 2 pages - what's the point of me reading the rest of it. Faithless felt very lazy. Repitition throughout made it boring in places.
Ronnie,
May 18, 2013 Ronnie, rated it liked it
Martina Cole has earned respect and money from Her novels mainly about dysfunctional families and The Faithless is yet another one of those stories that becomes predictable and could of been cut by 200 pages.
The Take, Close and The Family are all here.If You've never read a Martina Cole novel before then pick this one up You won't be disappointed.
I would really like to see Martina Cole write another serial killer Book... The Ladykiller anyone????,

Pam
Jan 10, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Surprised at some comments, I thought the book packed a real punch.
Charlie
Still not quite as good as her first books but very enjoyable nonetheless. Martina Cole sure knows how to make you loathe a character and her gripping writing style hasn't changed one bit. I think she's genuinely amazing at building characters but the 'resolution' part of the story was a bit easy. Or so it seemed to me. Of course there is no real surprise as we know from the Prologue on what is going to happen in the end but the build up to the scene where Gabby finally kills her mother wasn't a ...more
Rachael
Feb 28, 2012 Rachael is currently reading it
the story line is fine but i find that she is very repetitive
Enya-Marie
Apr 16, 2015 Enya-Marie rated it it was ok
This book was deserving of just one star but given that I picked it up knowing it was trashy, then it has to be marked in the trashy mindset boosting it to two stars - even that was a dilemma.

See, it's common knowledge that Martina Cole's books are so similar that it's hard to even tell one blurb from another and I can live with that but when the book repeats not only all her other books but itself, paragraph after paragraph, it really gets on your nerves. This is no exaggeration, it literally u
Lainy
Jan 28, 2012 Lainy rated it really liked it
Blurb from Goodreads

To the outside world, Cynthia Tailor is a woman to envy: she has a devoted husband, a lovely home and two gorgeous children. But Cynthia has always craved the best things in life, and is determined to see that she gets them. Cynthia will let nothing stand in her way, even if it means devastation and tragedy for those nearest to her …

British writer M
Nayana
Feb 13, 2015 Nayana rated it liked it
I think the story was okay, the language okay, nothing exciting, nothing new, and it kind of dragged on a lot of time. But not a bad book, just that its not a kind of book I'd treasure. I'll just forget it ever existed once I'm finished with it. Got annoyed with the repeating line -'She destroys everything she touches' and varied forms of same line. I think the only reason for me not liking this book is this repetitive lines and each character has same opinion (to exact words) or no character bu ...more
Anamaria
Jul 11, 2013 Anamaria rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Not even my enemies
This book gets indulgently only 1 start because the book itself was a present from my father. He did not choose it especially for me, by author or title, he just picked whatever was on top shelf in a library, aka bestseller section, at that time(January) in Ireland.
Not only did it take me FOREVER to force myself to finish it, it also made me question my literary preferences (contemporary literature).
This is the only book I read by this author and my relationship with her will end with the last
Barbra
Apr 03, 2013 Barbra rated it liked it
I loved Martina's earlier books but sometimes find that the newer books tend to drag a bit - shame cos I love her books.....

Back Cover Blurb:
To the outside world, Cynthia Tailor is a woman to envy. But Cynthia is deeply unhappy with her lot; she has always craved the best things in life, and she is determined to get them, even if it means devastation and tragedy for those nearest to her.
Amongst the many casualties are her husband Jimmy, unable to fight the wife he can never please; her sister Ce
Ricardo
Dec 13, 2012 Ricardo rated it it was amazing
I gotta hand it to Martina, she can sure glue me to the storyline in a jiff.
Cynthia Taylor/ Calaham is one of those villains you gotta love to hate.
as I started the book i expected something more on the line of "hard girls" which I had just read, but somehow the rise and fall of this despicable femme fatale got me litterally holding the pages as if my life depended of it.
I don't know if you ever read the thornbirds, but the faithless reminded me of it. the main difference being that in thr thorn
Marios
Dec 20, 2015 Marios rated it it was amazing
Simply fantastic. Thrilling. Successful in creating strong feelings about the characters. Well written and delightfully developing the story. My first book from Martina Cole and she sure won a fan.
Caroline
Apr 15, 2015 Caroline rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No-one
I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. Every time a new Martina Cole book is released I tell myself I'm not going to bother reading it, I've been let down too many times. And yet, every single time I find myself reading the new book in the hope that this time might be the time she returns to form. It never is. I have to accept that she is never going to write another The Ladykiller or Goodnight Lady and leave it at that. I am NOT going to bother with the next one. I mean it this time.
Janine Precey
Jun 09, 2015 Janine Precey rated it liked it
An OK read. Underworld saga of a criminal family rocked by an evil sister/daughter/wife/mother. Does pretty much everyone wrong and ends up getting her just desserts.
Kara Bisceglia
Nov 14, 2011 Kara Bisceglia rated it really liked it
The Faithless was an interesting read. Martina Cole is able to make the main character, Cynthia come to life with her experiences and emotions. This is a very raw and honest piece that deals with an unhappy woman. On the outside it looks like she has everything. A perfect family, a perfect marriage but on the inside Cynthia is miserable and unhappy with her home. This book was able to convey the depths people will go to get what they think they deserve and that may come with a price. This story ...more
Callie Hudd
Feb 22, 2016 Callie Hudd rated it liked it
I usually am a big fan of martinas books but the last few this one included just felt like a re hash of previous books, read to the end but didn't hold my attention as well as others.
Sylvia
Jul 08, 2015 Sylvia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book could have done with being 50 pages shorter and the story would be no less than what it is. It was an okay read but it won't stay on my bookshelf.
Angie Rhodes
Feb 11, 2014 Angie Rhodes rated it did not like it
the characters, , Jimmy,James Jonny Jack, Cherie,Celeste, Cynthia,,! no imagination! Starts off well,,, then it becomes deja vu,,, same plots,different names, ,
Kate Hooper
May 22, 2016 Kate Hooper rated it really liked it
Great storyline as ever by Martina Cole. Likeable and awful characters, the plot sucks you in until you cannot put it down.
June Jones
Nov 16, 2015 June Jones rated it really liked it
Wow, if you enjoy a book with lots of profanities, deceit, blood, and murder, you will enjoy this read
Subah
Nov 30, 2014 Subah rated it really liked it
This is my first time reading her book. i find it interesting. Cynthia such a dare devil till the end.
Kelly
Oct 28, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing
This is Cole at her best. I read "The Family" last year & thought it was amazing & could not put it down & didn't believe she could equal it but she has with "The Faithless".
Cole is such an easy to read writer who hooks you in although the plots & story lines are always very similar (women protagonists, crime in families, gangs & relationships) she does it so well & I'm never let down by her work.
If you like Cole do not miss reading this book!.
I have a feeling like I did
Alex Lockhart
Apr 23, 2016 Alex Lockhart rated it really liked it
I much prefer her earlier books but this is still good. Would definitely recommend.
Thomas Lambourn
Nov 23, 2014 Thomas Lambourn rated it liked it
I'd like to give it 3 1/2 stars, good but not the best of Martina Cole's writing,
Marguerite J W White
Feb 03, 2014 Marguerite J W White rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I found it really absorbing and very intriging,I again couldnt stop reading this and it takes you into tye world of the criminals,there was some twists and violence and some romance.but nasty people caught up in there crimes..some got what they deserved and some you couldnt help feeling sorry for them,I think that if you do not mind some of the language and blunt content.Its a good read..
Andreea Buruș
Oct 04, 2014 Andreea Buruș rated it really liked it
Loved the story of the poisonous women that Cynthia was!
Gina
Jan 20, 2016 Gina rated it it was amazing
One of my favourites from Martina
  • The Make
  • The Schemer
  • The Driver
Martina Cole was born and brought up in Essex. She is the bestselling author of fourteen novels set in London's gangland, and her most recent three paperbacks have gone straight to No. 1 in the Sunday Times on first publication. Total sales of Martina's novels stand at over eight million copies.

More about Martina Cole...