Start by marking “The Time Trilogy (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Time Trilogy (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #1-3)

The Time Trilogy (A Wrinkle In Time Quintet #1-3)

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  4,901 ratings  ·  171 reviews
A set of books about the time-traveling adventures of the Murray family includes: A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door and A Swiftly Tilting Planet.

A Wrinkle in Time
The mysterious Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who and Mrs. Which send Meg and Charles Wallace through time and space to rescue their father on the planet Camazotz, accompanied by their new friend Calvin. Along the way, th
Hardcover, Boxed Set, 710 pages
Published November 1st 1979 by Farrar Straus & Giroux (J) (first published July 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Time Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time Trilogy

Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Giver by Lois LowryThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHoles by Louis SacharThe Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Top 100 Middle School Must-Reads
56th out of 790 books — 1,866 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Intro to Sci-Fi for Young Readers
17th out of 546 books — 598 voters

More lists with this book...

Regan
I was given these books at age 10 by a family friend; they are PRIZED in my collection. This is the first time I remember truly "escaping" into a book, to a fictional time and place. A Wrinkle in Time is the first book where I risked my 5th grade freedom and courageously read under the covers at night with a flashlight! I was prepared to defend Meg and Calvin and Charles Wallace to my death! Well maybe not to my death, but I was willing to sacrifice my hind end to a spanking with the dreaded bel ...more
Jackie
Of the Trilogy, the first and classic A Wrinkle in Time is definitely the 5 Star hero! Read it! The Wind in the Door was great too... 4 Star to me, building off the success of the first. The 3d, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, seems a bit off due to the telling of the tale and how it seems the characters really are more along for the ride than actually influencing the story but still a good read (and I am a sucker for time travel stuff... comes from the comic geek in me). Read them until you stop enjo ...more
Natalia Nguyen
A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle contains 221 pages. It was published by the Farrar, Straus & Giroux inc. on January 1st of 1962. The Wrinkle in Time is based on a 14 year old girl named Meg Murry traveling in time to different universes in search of her father that has gone missing for many years. On this adventure she brings along her brother, and a boy from school that she soon falls for in the end.

Meg Murry lives with her three brothers. Two out of three are twins are 10 years old
Brittany
Hugo BM

WARNING This review is completely full of comments & thoughts that may overwhelm you as much as this books overwhelmed me in a serious migraine and with a bad mood as a secondary effect, so please if you are sensible GO FAR AWAY.

This serie made me so confussed, really, I haven´t been that confussed in a long time. But first I need to tell a brief experience of my own so you may comprehend more my confussion.
In 2013 I went to an exchange program in Quebec, Canada. I thought "Okay, it is Can
Morgana
This trilogy is wonderfully imaginative and gives the reader a fairly tale as a young child, but a thought provoking, progressively unfolding story especially as we follow Meg and Charles through their problems.
Mattea
Intelligent, thoughtful, and thought provoking books for pre-teens are next to impossible to find, so I was thrilled when I started reading this series. These books are truly original. The combination of science and religion, while not unusual in adult literature, is in this series artfully combined as a fantasy child's book which, for a child who hasn't been introduced to much real literature, is completely transformative. Before reading this series juvenile was unfortunately the most apt way t ...more
Janisse M
Trowzers
It is interesting to see a children's adventure story from so long ago that was not afraid to mix science, fantasy and spirituality in such large doses.

While a good part of the action takes part in the mind, with lots of thinking and wishing and willing going on to move the protagonists past their various perils, there are a large variety of interesting alien creatures and time travel and strange places to move the story past these sometimes tedious battles of the mind.

Based around a very Christ
Peg
SciFi Fantasy fun! Not my usual cup of tea but really enjoyed these quick reads.
Christy Luis
Somehow, together, L'Engle's time trilogy together equals more than the sum of its parts. I love the tapestry of science and the arts— astronomy, biology, history, mythology, theology and pure imagination.

What I Love: (1) I love the characters in all three books- the “witches” and Aunt Beast in the first; Proginoskes (the cherubim) and Mr. Jenkins in the second; and the cast of historical characters in the third. (2) The theology in the second and third books always struck a chord in me, even a
Just Me
When I was a kid, I loved A Wrinkle in Time. I read the sequel (A Wind in the Door) and thought it was pretty good. I never made it through the third book, so the fourth and fifth didn't interest me. (The same thing happened here re: the third, so my review is based on finishing the first two and chapter one of the third.)

I decided to re-read these books as an adult, as every now and then I like to pick up an old favorite and see if it still has that warm, comfy feel or that spark. Well...

I'm no
John
A brilliantly written story in three parts, beloved by young people and adults alike. The first in the trilogy, A Wrinkle In Time, begins with the young Meg, her prodigious younger brother Charles Wallace, and their mother up late with insomnia during a thunderstorm when a stranger comes to the door. They let the stout and curiously bundled old woman into their kitchen who, upon removing her boots and coat, proclaims, 'Wild nights are my glory.'

And she is not there by happenstance.

Thus begins th
Margaret
I probably should have read more than A Wrinkle in Time as a child. There are a few things (the multiple doctorates, the Barbara McClintock-like mother with experiments in a shed, the telepathy) that I just don't buy being older, and they are distracting when I'm trying to read something as science fiction as an adult. I loved L.M. Montgomery when I read her as an adult, but I'm sadly not feeling the same about Madeleine L'Engle.

A Wrinkle in Time is all sorts of cool time travel, through Meg ta
Miki
Categories such as "children's books" or "YA (young adult) lit" can be applied in misleading and/or disparaging ways. Too often these categories lead us to mistakenly shun wonderful books. If you've missed L'Engle's TIME trilogy for this reason, it's not too late... read it! This is story-telling for the ages.

P.S. I think that many of us here would agree that some of the greatest authors writing today are writing so-called "children's books." Why is this the case?

The brilliant Philip Pullman, a
Eloise Davis
Fantasy has never been my favorite genre of writing. “A Wrinkle in Time” in a science fiction story about a family traveling to different planet. The kids are looking for their lost father. They find out that their father is stuck on the planet of Camazotz. But when they are traveling there they soon fid out that the planet is controlled by “The Black Thing”. The story follows the children trying to find a way to get their father to come back to Earth with them. Although I am not a fan of fantas ...more
Jordan Davis
This novel is about a girl named Meg Murry. Her young brother, Charles Wallace, and herself are transported on an adventure through space; they are supposed to rescue her father from the evil forces. Mrs. Whatsit arrives at their home and actually has a power and is able to read Meg’s mind. Through their traveling they meet Mrs. Who and Mrs. Which who teach them that the world is surrounded by evil. While travelling through Camazotz, where their father should be, they run into IT. IT is not a go ...more
Madeline
Although the stark contrast between good and evil seems a little bit juvenile, its hard to resist the purity and innocence of the characters and the simple joy these stories evoke. I love the use of philosophy and science in these books, by no means dogmatic, almost wanting me to classify them as religious science fiction. To take the mythologies of the church and reinterpret them into modern stories is very thought provoking, to say the least. It makes you think that either Madeleine L'Engle is ...more
Alyssa Pierce
Meg Murray is a fiery young girl who just does not seem to fit in with her peers. Luckily, her brother Charles Wallace is there for her, he seems to understand her in a way no one else is able to. There is another problem in this family; their father has been missing for quite some time. Then Mrs. Whatsit comes into their lives. She is able to lead Meg and Charles to their father. The only problem is that he is very far away on some strange planet where a beating brain controls everyone and ever ...more
Laurie
When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am older I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis

This book is still wonderful for all ages of people. Just because you have been around a ball of fire on a rock a certain amount of times does not mean you cannot truly enjoy a romp of fun like this series is. Yes it has its s
Jacqilynn Castleton
I was not to fond of this book because it was sort of hard to understand at the beginning. Once I started getting into the book, I slowly started to enjoy and understand it. This is would be a great book to read to class or have the class read with you because it has mystery and suspense which really draws in the readers. I felt like at times I was a little confused so having a class go over the book as a whole can provide input.This book has won many awards and and is very popular with classes ...more
Jeri
I really enjoyed the character growth of Meg from a whinny girl that has her little brother take care of her to the girl that saves her little brother.
Judy
The first book was enjoyable but I didn't see how it was really connected to the other two in this trilogy. I didn't finish the third.
James Norrington
Feb 07, 2008 James Norrington rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who don't get board easily
This book was very drawling for me. After I recieved it for a Xmas presant, I found myself putting reading it off until finally I started it, and I tried to finish it as soon as possible.
The first story was fine, but all of the others were horrifically confusing, and I had NO idea what was going on at any given time, even if I reread the chapter about three hundred times. I really wouldn't reccomend this book to anyone unless they do not get confused easily (by the way, I'm the only one who thi
Karen
I read these books in 5th grade. I have never been the same as thus was born my love for science fiction/fantasy books and reading. I have never turned back. I was amazed, intrigued and followed the saga till the end.

I still have copies of the books and will always rememeber the three Mrs. W's and a plain girl like Meg finding a cool boy to hang out with to save her family (I was feeling plain at the time).

I always knew it would be okay thanks to Madeleine L'engle. I love these books.
Beth Barnett
The first two books of the three I enjoyed-quick reading, imaginative, creative, and fanciful. I definitely recommend the first two books of the three in this collection.
The third book, The Swiftly Tilting Planet, I found much less interesting, and tedious. I didn't remember it, and maybe I never actually read it previously. I found myself skimming through over-written sections. I found its plot and premise less well developed and not as creative as the first books.
Minna
I read these books during the summer of 5th-6th grade because they were listed on the "Summer Reading List". I was so captivated by the books, and I truly enjoyed reading these aloud to my father. A Wrinkle In Time was my favorite of the three and to this day is my very favorite book. Madeleine L'Engle is so talented, and she is and will always be one of my favorite authors. I suggest that everyone read these not only to themselves but have their children read them also!
Simon Tse-harris
One of those books that touches you so deeply that you long for the world of the book and all of its inhabitants to be real....but what IS real? ;)
Kelly Weitekamp
Began reading the trilogy because it had been recommended for my stepdaughter. As a sci-fi/fantasy fan, I enjoyed the wild images (flying unicorns in space!), the oversimplification of good and evil, and the child-like simplicity of the main characters' emotions. It was a nice break from the real world. Unfortunately, she doesn't like sci-fi and stopped reading after only a few pages of the first book. Not a total loss--at least I was able to enjoy them!
Hands down, my all time favorite author and the one that had the most impact on my life. If I ruled the world, the series would be a must-read for every man, woman, and child on the planet. This is one of those series that speaks to you on one level at 12, another at 22 and another at 42. She speaks with more clarity -- and more accessibility -- on the nature of faith, love, good, and evil than any other author, or work, I have read.
  • The Chronicles of Prydain Boxed Set (The Chronicles of Prydain #1-5)
  • The Dark is Rising Sequence (The Dark is Rising, #1-5)
  • Serendipity
  • Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress
  • The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1-4)
  • The Witch's Buttons
  • A Map of Everything
  • Desert Dog
  • The Enchanted Castle
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: A Graphic Novel
  • Ciao (On the Runway, #6)
  • The Land of Green Ginger
  • All in a Day
  • The Boxcar Children 5-8 (The Boxcar Children, #5-8)
  • Amalia: Diary 1 (California Diaries, #4)
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
  • Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde and Other Stories of the Supernatural
  • Red Unicorn (Unicorn, #3)
Madeleine L'Engle was an American writer best known for her Young Adult fiction, particularly the Newbery Medal-winning A Wrinkle in Time and its sequels A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters. Her works reflect her strong interest in modern science: tesseracts, for example, are featured prominently in A Wrinkle in Time, mitochondrial DNA in A Wind in the Door, organ regener ...more
More about Madeleine L'Engle...
A Wrinkle in Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #1) A Wind in the Door (Time, #2) A Swiftly Tilting Planet (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #3) Many Waters (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #4) A Ring of Endless Light (Austin Family, #5)