Start by marking “Monstros Invisíveis” as Want to Read:
Monstros Invisíveis

Monstros Invisíveis

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  89,098 Ratings  ·  4,054 Reviews
Após sofrer um suspeito acidente de carro que destrói seu rosto, Shannon conhece Brandy Alexander, dona de uma natureza tão glamourosa que a convence a cruzar os Estados Unidos em uma orgia de crimes e vingança contra aqueles que supostamente forjaram a sua desgraça. No melhor estilo Palahniuk. MONSTROS INVÍSIVEIS é uma poderosa crítica a nossa sociedade.
Published 2009 by Rocco (first published September 17th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Monstros Invisíveis, please sign up.

Mitchell Tyler No, not really, other than uncomfortably standing by a mirror to read the book. Also, it tells you to turn to certain chapters, so it uncovers the…moreNo, not really, other than uncomfortably standing by a mirror to read the book. Also, it tells you to turn to certain chapters, so it uncovers the story differently. If I could choose again I would definitely pick the standard edition but I'm lazy.(less)

Jason
Quite possibly the most fucked up piece of literature I’ve ever read, this novel is a brilliantly executed train wreck from beginning to end.
Ash
Mar 19, 2008 Ash rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It made me want to blow my own jaw off...but in a good way.
Sara
Check the shelf I put this on. Now you're ready: This book is insane. There's something on practically every page that makes you say, "What the *%$#!?" You'll keep reading anyway, though, and you'll love it. The book's like a really hard-core Swedish massage. It hurts SOOOOO good.
The story is essentially about beauty: who values it, what it means, how it can be good, and how it can be a horror. Not only do the characters suffer FOR beauty, they suffer BECAUSE of beauty, and that's a powerful co
Erica
Dec 03, 2008 Erica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm too old for this stuff. Shocking doesn't do it for me alone, and he works SO VERY HARD at being vulgar and violent and crass. Don't get me wrong; those are three things that can make for a great story. But it was so unrelenting and contrived, and not as funny as it was supposed to be. There were some clever turns of phrase, and it wasn't entirely unenjoyable, but I was not really impressed.
Emma
Oct 20, 2007 Emma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Chuck Palahniuk is the hugely popular author of modern, edgy books like Fight Club (also a movie with Brad Pitt--go ahead, act surprised) and Choke. For this reason I did not expect to like Invisible Monsters, originally published in 1999.

The story is told by a nameless narrator: a young woman who used to be beautiful. After a series of bizarre, haunting events involving a freeway, birds and a few other things those days are gone forever. Her face disfigured, her voice gone, the narrator is invi
Franco  Santos
Jan 09, 2016 Franco Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No estoy en contra de los libros que no son lineales, de hecho he leído muchos narrados así, entre ellos tres son de mis favoritos. Sin embargo, este tenía tanto saltos temporales que el principio se me hizo muy difícil entender lo que sucedía. Incluso estuve a punto de abandonarlo porque sentía que no estaba leyendo la historia, sino solo párrafos extemporáneos sin sentido alguno.

Fue un gran acierto haber tomado la decisión de no cortar con la lectura. Cerca de la mitad comencé a comprender un
Buffy B
Jan 12, 2008 Buffy B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Buffy by: Tom from Vermont
I have a theory about Chuck Palahniuk books.
If somebody is starting to read Chuck Palahniuk for the first time...the first book they read of his will always be their favorite. I have found that to be the case with many people.
I really enjoyed Invisible Monsters and it was the first Chuck Palahniuk book I read. It was such a new approach to writing that I had never seen before, and I found myself really engrossed and moved by the now-usual Palahniuk twisty ending. It was such a shocking book to
Meg ♥

The main character in this book is nameless, and disfigured. She was once a beautiful model, and now feels invisible. She hides under a veil after being called a monster. When she lost her face she saw the true colors of everyone in her life. Her fiance leaves, and her best friend constantly steals her clothes while she's in the hospital. In speech therapy our main character meets Brandy Alexander, and the story unfolds.

This is probably my least favorite book so far by Palahniuk, but it was stil
Derrick
Nov 05, 2014 Derrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star
It very seriously makes me sad that there are people that haven't read Invisible Monsters. Invisible Monsters is the most amazing work of art I have ever experienced and reading it for the 3rd time was the best decision I have made this summer. Of course, this is the remix version, so it was different than the original Invisible Monsters but mainly just in the formatting and some added chapters.
* If you haven't read Invisible Monsters before and you decide to read it, I would recommend the ori
Cassie-la
Jun 14, 2012 Cassie-la rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
REVIEW ALSO ON: http://bibliomantics.com/2012/06/01/a......

We’ve all seen extended edition and director’s cuts of movies, but this is the first time I have ever come across an author’s cut of a book. With this hardcover release of Chuck Palahniuk’s third published novel (but his first in terms of writing), he took the opportunity to change the linear format that was originally published in 1999 and release it the way he initially envisioned it. The intention was to give the reader the feel of li
Rachelle
Mar 30, 2010 Rachelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Chuck Palahniuk's ego is so bloated that he thinks he can write a story from a "woman's" perspective and still refuse to change his typical male chauvinistic-smug-self-indulgent writing style. Please. I can imagine him sitting at his computer, typing away, stopping only to jack off at his own drivel.
Alexis
Oct 21, 2007 Alexis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advisory07-08
Pages: 200+

So, it's safe to say that Chuck Palahniuk owns my soul. Not even a little bit of it. The whole thing.
Invisible Monsters blew my mind. I spent a good chunk of the book stuck in confusion and my mind felt like it had just been exposed to the trippiest thing ever. But, as I like to think, what is a Chuck Palahniuk story without mental mind trips and without confusion? It is not a Chuck Palahniuk story at all!

Right off the bat Palahniuk leaves his print by introducing a set of character
Teresa
May 07, 2015 Teresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-usa
O estilo da narrativa
Tão original que cansa, aborrece e irrita.
Cada vez que muda de cenário o narrador diz: "Saltem para trás; Saltem para o presente; Saltem para mim; Saltem para nós; Saltem para...; Saltem...; Saltem...; Saltem". E isto dezenas e dezenas de vezes. (Só dá vontade de fazer o livro saltar pela janela...)
A escrita também não é grande "espingarda"...tem uma ou outra "tirada" filosófica mas com tanto saltitar perdi-as...

O enredo e as personagens
É uma trapalhada tão grande e tão abs
Miko
Dec 04, 2013 Miko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
****DO NOT LOOK THIS UP IN WIKIPEDIA IT GIVES AWAY EVERYTHING I REPEAT DO NOT LOOK IT UP! In fact, don't even read the synopsis, I would just dive right in knowing nothing.****

THE START:
So far it is pretty good. It says right from the start that you are going to read this book feeling like you are missing things and it's very true.

I am having a hard time holding on to any solid plot but am captivated from what I can grasp. It's the same author that wrote Fight Club and it kind of has that same
Lyn
Apr 05, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chuck Palahnuik’s Invisible Monsters has many similarities to Fight Club and clear influences from Sartre and John Barth.

It’s disjointed, fragmented, almost incomplete, and yet, he raises complex questions and makes brilliant observations. I don’t think he is so much nihilistic as he is post-modern and just doesn’t believe in culture de jour, readily satirizing at what needs to be poked fun.

description
May 10, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
L'incubo di ogni aspirante scrittore: il libro che avrei voluto scrivere è già stato scritto. Non me ne cruccio. Una catarsi dolorosa fino all'ultima riga, soprattutto all'ultima riga; vale la pena di accantonare o rivedere i propri sogni di gloria.
Un uomo, Palahniuk, che riesce a cogliere l'essenza della delusione di essere donna. Pur con alcune approssimazioni, ma una donna non sarebbe riuscita a essere altrettanto onesta.
Una donna, coi suoi mille nomi e nessun volto, in fuga dall'incubo del
Bob Milne
Jan 27, 2014 Bob Milne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
This just did not work for me. Maybe I'm not hip enough or cool enough to appreciate it, but it really got on my nerves. The narrator grated on me, the writing style just annoyed me, I was already sick of the moral/social commentary after the first chapter, and I was bored - not even frustrated, just bored - trying to follow the so-called plot.

As for the much-touted sex and violence, it felt like he was trying way too hard to shock, simply for the sake of being offensive. Reading this reminded
Mallory
Jun 17, 2012 Mallory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read Invisible Monsters for years, so I was really excited to see the "director's cut" of the book listed on Goodreads FirstReads, and even more excited when I won a free copy for review purposes. Chuck Palahnuik never ceases to fill me with a sense of wonder and a sense of dread. It must be really, really frightening to live inside his brain.

There are a few major changes from the original text to the "remixed" version, but you could read either. The story seemed mostly the same, with t
Jun 07, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Il primo libro che ho davvero riletto ad anni di distanza e che mi è piaciuto quasi come la prima volta. Oggi capisco che ha influenzato moltissimo il mio romanzo I Dissidenti.

Leggi la mia recensione qui:
Joey
Oct 19, 2015 Joey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star, my-library
I didn't see that coming and I didn't see that coming and I didn't see that coming either and I certainly didn't see that coming and no way I ever saw that coming. That's how the whole book is. Every other page was blowing me away. Crazy book, really good. Recommended only for the slightly insane.
Charlene
May 07, 2014 Charlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, audio-book
I listened to this book on audio. This was such a strange story, I am at a loss for words.

The narrators were fantastic, especially Anna Fields. (Chuck P. himself was one of them). This story jumps all over the place and it takes a while to get a feel for what's happening. This audio book came with a link to a pdf file explaining how there are
are 4 different loops to follow, and the instructions on how to do that. Or, you can just listen-after each portion, a narrator pops on and tells you where
Rade
Dec 03, 2013 Rade rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
WARNING: I might be an asshole in this review...and there will be few spoilers here and there, as well as a lot of profanity

First of all, I don't give a slightest shit about any of the characters in this book, especially Brandy Alexander, Queen Supreme, AKA Princess Princess. She is a pill popping, surgery obsessed, not giving a crap about anybody else kind of a bitch. She goes around judging people, showing them catalogs that have different plastic surgeries that she can get, even vaginoplasty
Neil (or bleed)
When did the future switch from being a promise to being a threat?

Invisible Monsters is a gripping story telling how beauty isn't the answer to find true happiness or to have everything you want. A book, telling no matter which gender are you belong, you have the rights to be happy and be loved. It's a kind of book that is thought-provoking and breathtakingly engrossing, supplying realizations in the noisy confusion of life.

It is actually fucked up too, in a good way with: characters whose v
Bill
Jan 19, 2016 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads
“If I can't be beautiful, then I just want to be invisible.”

Chuck Palahniuk is a truly unique and twisted individual. He also seems to be a bit hit or miss with me. I have come to the conclusion that timing may be everything for a Palahniuk read.

Invisible Monsters has it all. Pretzel plotting, biting wit, uber-bizarre characterizations, scathing sarcasms, all wrapped up in a non-linear format that was either going to suck balls or be utterly brilliant. I’m going with brilliant.

Geesh piercing, Ma
Darga
Feb 16, 2008 Darga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beautiful people, people who think critically about happiness
"it's an old woman who owns this house, i figure. ignored and aging and drugged out old women, older and more invisible to the world every minute, they must not wear a lot of make-up. not go out to fun hot spots. not boogie to a party froth. my breath smells hot and sour inside my veils, inside the damp layers of silk and mesh and cotton georgette i lift for the first time all day; and in the mirrors, i look at the pink reflection of what's left of my face.
mirror mirror on the wall, who's the
Aug 15, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was just so odd. It's my first Palahniuk novel so maybe I have to read a couple more to get a sense of this author's style and... humor.

All I know is that the beginning was a huge train wreck of an introduction. I felt like I was reading one long run-on sentence of incessant rambling with no direction whatsoever. I had no idea what I was getting into or what was happening.

Jump to expanding my vocabulary to include the word 'felching'.

Jump to too many incidents involving prescription dr
Brad
Jan 06, 2012 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was written in the late nineties (for my eyes only), and it was buried in amongst my things until recently when I uncovered the journal in which it was written. I have transcribed it verbatim from all those years ago (although square brackets may indicate some additional information for the sake of readability or some sort of commentary from now). This is one of my lost reviews.

The ultimate novel about redefining oneself, Invisible Monsters isn't only an energetic orgy of hormonal dr
Giulia
Jul 29, 2015 Giulia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pura follia, uno schiaffo alla convenzionalità del mondo, dei canoni estetici, di ciò che è veramente giusto o sbagliato. Una ricerca di se stesse a partire dalla mutilazione del volto, dalla trasfigurazione del corpo, dall'errore, dalla fuga dalla precedente vita per gettarsi nel caos di una vita allo sbando, delirante e capire così chi sei davvero. Per tutta la vita ti insegnano sempre a fare la cosa giusta ma qual è davvero la cosa giusta? Siamo sicuri di vivere così una vita vera, scelta da ...more
Brandan
Jun 26, 2012 Brandan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
......

"The only reason why we ask other people how their weekend was is so we can tell them about our own weekend."

"...hysteria is only possible with an audience."

"Our real discoveries come from chaos..."

"Athiests need to understand that even a wrong answer is better than no answer."

"What never failed to boggle Daisy was how Judy Garland had only just arrived in this glorious colorful place and she immediately wanted to run back to some boring pig farm. The fact that everyone else loved the film
Krissy
This is my third Palahniuk novel and I am now convinced he was not hugged enough as a child. He must have some seriously deep seated issues.

This book was one big fat hot mess. But only in the best possible way. I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were lots of little twists and surprises that kept the story fun and interesting. It was fun, fast paced, twisted, borderline offensive, and 100% entertainment. Loved it.
reading challenge: books 1 1 Jan 26, 2016 05:28AM
  • Dead Babies
  • Clown Girl
  • The Contortionist's Handbook
  • Hey Nostradamus!
  • Glue (Terry Lawson, #1)
  • The Coma
  • Mysterious Skin
  • The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things
  • Be My Enemy, Or, Fuck This for a Game of Soldiers
  • Leaving Las Vegas
Written in stolen moments under truck chassis and on park benches to a soundtrack of The Downward Spiral and Pablo Honey, Fight Club came into existence. The adaptation of Fight Club was a flop at the box office, but achieved cult status on DVD. The film’s popularity drove sales of the novel. Chuck put out two novels in 1999, Survivor and Invisible Monsters. Choke, published in 2001, became Chuck’ ...more
More about Chuck Palahniuk...

“The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person.” 12544 likes
“All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring.” 10597 likes