Monstros Invisíveis

Monstros Invisíveis

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  71,252 ratings  ·  3,115 reviews
Após sofrer um suspeito acidente de carro que destrói seu rosto, Shannon conhece Brandy Alexander, dona de uma natureza tão glamourosa que a convence a cruzar os Estados Unidos em uma orgia de crimes e vingança contra aqueles que supostamente forjaram a sua desgraça. No melhor estilo Palahniuk. MONSTROS INVÍSIVEIS é uma poderosa crítica a nossa sociedade.
Published 2009 by Rocco (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Monstros Invisíveis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monstros Invisíveis

Jason
Quite possibly the most fucked up piece of literature I’ve ever read, this novel is a brilliantly executed train wreck from beginning to end.
Ash
It made me want to blow my own jaw off...but in a good way.
Sara
Check the shelf I put this on. Now you're ready: This book is insane. There's something on practically every page that makes you say, "What the *%$#!?" You'll keep reading anyway, though, and you'll love it. The book's like a really hard-core Swedish massage. It hurts SOOOOO good.
The story is essentially about beauty: who values it, what it means, how it can be good, and how it can be a horror. Not only do the characters suffer FOR beauty, they suffer BECAUSE of beauty, and that's a powerful co...more
Erica
I'm too old for this stuff. Shocking doesn't do it for me alone, and he works SO VERY HARD at being vulgar and violent and crass. Don't get me wrong; those are three things that can make for a great story. But it was so unrelenting and contrived, and not as funny as it was supposed to be. There were some clever turns of phrase, and it wasn't entirely unenjoyable, but I was not really impressed.
Emma (Miss Print)
Chuck Palahniuk is the hugely popular author of modern, edgy books like Fight Club (also a movie with Brad Pitt--go ahead, act surprised) and Choke. For this reason I did not expect to like Invisible Monsters, originally published in 1999.

The story is told by a nameless narrator: a young woman who used to be beautiful. After a series of bizarre, haunting events involving a freeway, birds and a few other things those days are gone forever. Her face disfigured, her voice gone, the narrator is invi...more
Meg ♥

The main character in this book is nameless, and disfigured. She was once a beautiful model, and now feels invisible. She hides under a veil after being called a monster. When she lost her face she saw the true colors of everyone in her life. Her fiance leaves, and her best friend constantly steals her clothes while she's in the hospital. In speech therapy our main character meets Brandy Alexander, and the story unfolds.

This is probably my least favorite book so far by Palahniuk, but it was stil...more
Buffy B
Jan 12, 2008 Buffy B rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Buffy by: Tom from Vermont
I have a theory about Chuck Palahniuk books.
If somebody is starting to read Chuck Palahniuk for the first time...the first book they read of his will always be their favorite. I have found that to be the case with many people.
I really enjoyed Invisible Monsters and it was the first Chuck Palahniuk book I read. It was such a new approach to writing that I had never seen before, and I found myself really engrossed and moved by the now-usual Palahniuk twisty ending. It was such a shocking book to...more
Alexis
Pages: 200+

So, it's safe to say that Chuck Palahniuk owns my soul. Not even a little bit of it. The whole thing.
Invisible Monsters blew my mind. I spent a good chunk of the book stuck in confusion and my mind felt like it had just been exposed to the trippiest thing ever. But, as I like to think, what is a Chuck Palahniuk story without mental mind trips and without confusion? It is not a Chuck Palahniuk story at all!

Right off the bat Palahniuk leaves his print by introducing a set of character...more
Rachelle
Chuck Palahniuk's ego is so bloated that he thinks he can write a story from a "woman's" perspective and still refuse to change his typical male chauvinistic-smug-self-indulgent writing style. Please. I can imagine him sitting at his computer, typing away, stopping only to jack off at his own drivel.
Miko
****DO NOT LOOK THIS UP IN WIKIPEDIA IT GIVES AWAY EVERYTHING I REPEAT DO NOT LOOK IT UP! In fact, don't even read the synopsis, I would just dive right in knowing nothing.****

THE START:
So far it is pretty good. It says right from the start that you are going to read this book feeling like you are missing things and it's very true.

I am having a hard time holding on to any solid plot but am captivated from what I can grasp. It's the same author that wrote Fight Club and it kind of has that same...more
Bob Milne
This just did not work for me. Maybe I'm not hip enough or cool enough to appreciate it, but it really got on my nerves. The narrator grated on me, the writing style just annoyed me, I was already sick of the moral/social commentary after the first chapter, and I was bored - not even frustrated, just bored - trying to follow the so-called plot.

As for the much-touted sex and violence, it felt like he was trying way too hard to shock, simply for the sake of being offensive. Reading this reminded...more
This book was just so odd. It's my first Palahniuk novel so maybe I have to read a couple more to get a sense of this author's style and... humor.

All I know is that the beginning was a huge train wreck of an introduction. I felt like I was reading one long run-on sentence of incessant rambling with no direction whatsoever. I had no idea what I was getting into or what was happening.

Jump to expanding my vocabulary to include the word 'felching'.

Jump to too many incidents involving prescription dr...more
Brad
This review was written in the late nineties (for my eyes only), and it was buried in amongst my things until recently when I uncovered the journal in which it was written. I have transcribed it verbatim from all those years ago (although square brackets may indicate some additional information for the sake of readability or some sort of commentary from now). This is one of my lost reviews.

The ultimate novel about redefining oneself, Invisible Monsters isn't only an energetic orgy of hormonal dr...more
Darga
Feb 16, 2008 Darga rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beautiful people, people who think critically about happiness
"it's an old woman who owns this house, i figure. ignored and aging and drugged out old women, older and more invisible to the world every minute, they must not wear a lot of make-up. not go out to fun hot spots. not boogie to a party froth. my breath smells hot and sour inside my veils, inside the damp layers of silk and mesh and cotton georgette i lift for the first time all day; and in the mirrors, i look at the pink reflection of what's left of my face.
mirror mirror on the wall, who's the...more
Billfrog
I've been reading this book while wondering if this is the book I'd recommend to someone looking to begin their Chuck Palahniuk experience. Through the rare luxury of a slow day at the hospital, I got to read a lot of it at once, getting through the second half of it today (though the first half of it was read in rather short bursts). I just finished the last 50 pages at Allegro pizza, a UPENN undergraduate hangout, full of people who are all equally convinced that their life is the dominant sto...more
Bri Ana
This was recommended to me as the novel where I would finally *get* Palahniuk. Eminently more readable than "Choke", it still barely skims the surface of identity and falls victim to the author's grinding need to over-establish his particular voice (again, see also: Mark Leyner).

Finish-able, but not convincing enough to learn how to correctly spell the author's last name.
Guy Portman
Shannon McFarland is a catwalk model, who is the centre of attention wherever she goes. That is until she ‘accidentally’ blasts her jaw shot off with a gun whilst driving down the highway. Shannon is left horribly disfigured and incapable of coherent speech. While in the hospital she meets the Queen Supreme, Brandy Alexander, in a speech therapy class. Our protagonist must create a new identity - past, present and future, assisted by her new friend Brandy, who is just one operation away from rea...more
amanda marie
The narrator was once a gorgeous model, now left monstrously disfigured after a messy drive-by. Her jaw was shot off, leaving just her tongue & top row of teeth to show as a trophy for her pain. Quickly, nearly everything she once had (fiance, seemingly wonderful modelling career) is gone. Enter: Brandy Alexander. An amazingly sassy and gorgeous transgender woman, who pushes the narrator (whose name is revealed 3/4 of the way through the novel) to do what scares her most and forget about the...more
Ralph
I only read the first 93 pages of this book. I frankly couldn't bring myself to read a page more, nor could I imagine being less sympathetic to a book's characters. Drug-addled, thieving, immoral, moronic transsexuals/transvestites and a physically handicapped and disfigured former model.
Perhaps Palahniuk was having a laugh? The story meanders between shallow observations and hints at twisted events in each character's life.
While there is something to be learned from everyone's experiences, thi...more
Salam Ch
the 4 stars are for the author Chuck Palahniuk!!!
a brilliant author that makes u keep reading regardless the sickness and twists of his mutated caracters , like u know that smoking is not good for ur health but u just keep enjoy it!!!
not mentioning his writing style that keeps u jumping!!
I sooo loved it :-)
Christy Stewart
This is Palahniuk's best book, hands down. Any book in which a character is involuntarily getting hormone treatments for a sex change is going to be your best book.

If Mark Twain had done that in Letters From The Earth we would have gotten to read that in school instead of that shitty Huckleberry Finn.
oriana
About halfway through this book, I was talking to my roommate, and I said, Gosh it's not nearly as fun reading this book the second time around, because I remember all the twists and everything, so it's way less exciting getting to them.

Omigod I was wrong.

Sure, I remembered who shot Shannon, which is maybe the biggest twist, and sure, I remembered who Brandy was, but really, that's revealed almost immediately and barely counts as a twist.

Because actually? This book is all freaking twists. There...more
Theresa Flores
The very first Chuck Palahniuk book I've ever read.

After finishing the book, I already became a fan of Chuck Palahniuk. I was really impressed by his writing. The book was just so refreshing and new, very odd, and very bold and blunt. The book had some confusing and disturbing parts at times, but Chuck Palahniuk was actually able to make those parts of the book appealing for me. Many times, I could not put the book down and stop reading. The ending, for me, was actually really shocking. And dis...more
Chelsea
Marcy
Probably my favorite book from Chuck Palahniuk. The story has a couple of surprising twists, all of which literally made my jaw drop on the first read-through. The only negative thing I can say about this is that second and third read-throughs can never be as good as the first read-through.
Robby
Jan 19, 2014 Robby rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Palahniuk fans
Recommended to Robby by: Playboy Mag. article on Palahniuk
As usual upon completion of any of Mr. Palahniuk's work I find his writings to be profoundly unique. Normally these are either dark, edgy, disturbing, twisted, abnormal, etc.; but you can always count on his work leaving you with the "WTF" quandary. This did not disappoint. A rather quick read if you really want it to be, but to filter the mental imaging and ingest the intricate wordage as intended, one may find themselves needing a moment to reflect or just scratch their head; again stating "WT...more
Svetla Angelova
Брилянтно описание на безполовия, бъдещ апокалипсис на нашия свят. Преливането от женски в мъжки образи и обратно, т. е. в невидими изчадия го може само Чък. Дано пророкът е сбъркал ..., остава ни само надеждата, че няма да сме живи да видим.
Hoda
hmmmm ...
The first 50 pages, and the last 40 pages are enjoyable. As for the 200 pages in between, it was redundant babbling and ranting.
The author is sarcastic (I love that), he is tackling an original plot (very interesting), and has some interesting points (the analogy between God and parents, and the ideas about what makes us who we are, are fascinating stances in the book), but the tying together of the plot didn't work for me. So, my problem is with the technique up to some point that made...more
Helen
My reaction to Invisible Monsters was much the same as my great Aunt Kack’s to Northern Exposure back in the 80’s. She couldn’t believe what “they” were putting on TV, and I can’t believe what “they” are putting in print. And yet, just as my great Aunt Kack could be found in front of the boob tube every Monday night, for the past week or so, I could be found sprawled on my sofa reading Invisible Monsters.

When Shannon McFarland’s jawbone is shot off in a drive-by shooting, she winds up in a hosp...more
Idea Smith
And I finally meet a Chuck Palahniuk book that I don't like. Fight Club set the bar, Snuff exceeded it and now Invisible Monsters brings me crashing down again.

The stream-of-consciousness that worked well as a writing technique in Fight Club goes all over the place in this book and gives you a bad headache as you struggle to figure what's being said, who's saying it and if the whole thing is just imagination or nostalgia. Also, the extreme language and ideas that gave us adrenalin rushes in his...more
Monster World: Rules 1 3 Feb 22, 2014 11:12AM
Opinion on Book 58 310 Feb 19, 2014 10:31AM
The WTF? Book Club: Kick Starting The Club for November 5 18 Nov 18, 2013 01:27PM
Goodreads Librari...: This book should be separate 2 55 Apr 16, 2012 11:41AM
Book Giveaways: Giveaway - "Invisible Monsters" by Chuck Palahniuk 1 11 Apr 04, 2012 11:21AM
  • The Informers
  • Be My Enemy, Or, Fuck This for a Game of Soldiers. Christopher Brookmyre
  • Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange
  • The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things
  • The Insult
Written in stolen moments under truck chassis and on park benches to a soundtrack of The Downward Spiral and Pablo Honey, Fight Club came into existence. The adaptation of Fight Club was a flop at the box office, but achieved cult status on DVD. The film’s popularity drove sales of the novel. Chuck put out two novels in 1999, Survivor and Invisible Monsters. Choke, published in 2001, became Chuck’...more
More about Chuck Palahniuk...
Fight Club Choke Survivor Lullaby Haunted

“The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person.” 11243 likes
“All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring.” 9762 likes