Start by marking “Shadow Swans” as Want to Read:
Shadow Swans

Shadow Swans

Credenza R, a shockingly beautiful and well-read young woman, has lived inside the New York City subway system all her life; she has never been aboveground. Ruby Cooper, a filthy rich misanthrope, lives in an abandoned building adorned with hundreds of hummingbirds she has sculpted out of colored wire. Their lives collide, enabling them to find magic in the underground. Wh ...more
Published (first published June 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Swans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Swans

Theresa
Aug 19, 2011 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Well Done! Very believeable! A world beneath the streets of New York! A labyrinth of tunnels under the eastern United States. All unknown to The populace above. Incredible! Hard to put the book down...I was up all night!
I loved Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman where the character is in the the tunnels below London. This reminds me of it.
Now...how do I learn to make those hummingbirds???? :)
Adriana
Aug 19, 2011 Adriana rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, 4-star
What a flair for words Ms. Thomas has. Ruby, the narrator, was so beautifully crafted as the rebellious outcast misfit, that despite the fact that she is nothing like me, I was able to completely empathize with her. The author was able to take a squalid and dingy setting, and without sugar-coating it (the descriptions of the filth and stench were quite vivid), managed to romanticize it.

Ruby goes about pretending to live a normal life, and one day when she decides to blow off work, she is accost
Deborah
Dec 08, 2011 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laura Thomas's book "Shadow Swans" is about two young woman, Ruby lives in an abandoned house; although she has to mony to live in any life style she could chose, and is obsessed with making Hummingbirds out of wire. she is discontent about her life until she meets Den. Den was born and raised in the underground tunnels of New York. She has never been to the surface as she is physically allergic to the sun. Together they explore the hidden government tunnels.
Thomas brings to life sights and smel
Scott Cole
Aug 17, 2011 Scott Cole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book from the first page and it just got better with each progressive chapter. I found myself really caring about the small cast of characters (keeping the cast small was a great decision IMHO) and the end! Wow. I found myself hoping that the author would be bold enough to end it the way she did, but doubted she would do it, so when she ended exactly how I wanted I was thrilled!
The book I thematically similar to neverwhere by a certain Mr. Gaiman, but definitely establishes
Aleta
Jul 21, 2011 Aleta rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aleta by: Laura Thomas
Shelves: by-friends, kindle
This is a very beguiling tale of friendship between two young women. Ruby is a depressed techie geek who chooses to live in an abandoned building despite her six-figure salary. Credenza "Den" is one of the "mole people" - denizens of the New York subway tunnels, and has never seen the sun. This is a book that deserves to be read.
Jd Guinn
Aug 15, 2011 Jd Guinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I failed to mention that I received this free as a GoodReads First Read. My apologies to the author, my fellow readers, and the site! this was a truly excwllent read - loved every minute of it! This book still haunts me but in a good way. I often dream about it and am reminded that small talents can make a difference!
Lee
Jul 08, 2011 Lee rated it it was amazing
I loved this debut book by Laura Thomas. She has taken us on a journey with captivating characters to a world most people wouldn't dare to explore. This was a real page turner.
Destiny
Aug 16, 2011 Destiny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nookbook, fiction
Very interesting characters & a fascinating story made for a book I had trouble putting down.
Patty
Dec 29, 2011 Patty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy
Nov 03, 2011 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dark book about a habitually unhappy woman who grew up in privilege and yet is discontent with life and her friendship with a woman who has lived in the abandoned subways of New York. I wish I remember who recommended this... hmmm
Liz
Vilma
Vilma rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Terese Ramin
Terese Ramin rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2012
Steven
Steven rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2011
Sahara Hoshi
Sahara Hoshi rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2012
Joy Schumacher
Joy Schumacher rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2011
Florence
Florence rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2012
Sid Suri
Sid Suri rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2012
Lauren Bierman
Lauren Bierman rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2013
Maureen
Maureen rated it did not like it
Aug 13, 2015
Sparks
Sparks rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2014
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2011
Florence
Florence rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Drifloon
Drifloon rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2011
J Hugh Thomas
J Hugh Thomas rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2012
Susan Kasza
The only word I can use to describe this book is "weird".
Review of Shadow Swans 2 5 Feb 22, 2012 01:46PM
Excerpt for Shadow Swans on diff page - not sure why there are two Goodreads pages! 3 7 Sep 29, 2011 04:08PM
  • Say Not "What If"
  • Gray
  • Bone Dressing (Book 1)
  • The Ghosts of Melrose
  • The Company of Fellows
  • Night and Horses and the Desert: An Anthology of Classical Arabic Literature
  • A Marked Past (The Mercer Legacy, #1)
  • Molly September
  • The Stars Dispose
  • Antonietta
  • Unchained
  • Shadows of the Hidden
  • Deep Into The Heart of a Rose
  • Retirement Homes Are Murder
  • The Pilgrim Glass
  • What Do You Say to a Naked Elf?
  • Love Devours:  Tales of Monstrous Adoration
  • Moonbeams  (Beams and Light, #1)