Start by marking “Zombie Tag” as Want to Read:
Zombie Tag

Zombie Tag

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Wil is desperate for his older brother to come back from the dead. But the thing about zombies is . . they don’t exactly make the best siblings.
Thirteen-year-old Wil Lowenstein copes with his brother’s death by focusing on Zombie Tag, a mafia/
capture the flag hybrid game where he and his friends fight off brain-eating zombies with their mothers’ spatulas. What Wil does
ebook, 1st Edtion, 240 pages
Published December 20th 2011 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Zombie Tag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombie Tag

Hannah
Feb 03, 2011 Hannah added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this book. It isn't a true story.
Lucy
I feel strange reviewing this because part of I really enjoyed about this book was how it exceeded my expectations. I was expecting a middle school book that would feel a little too young to me, like a children's version of Shaun of the Dead, and I got something so much better.

I have meaning to read a Hannah Moskowitz book for awhile, but you know how it is, piles of books everywhere and you swear you won't buy any new ones until you finish half of them. Anyway, I was in for a lot of mindless f
Janelle
It's 2:45am, and I just finished this book. Yes. I am still crying. Beautiful story, beautiful characters... I absolutely LOVED it!! I will post a more in-depth review soon, but I need to just sit in the wonderfulness of this story right now.
Beth
WARNING: "Zombie Tag" is not what you would expect from the blurb. I think this is part of the reason why I felt - not ambivalent, but ocnflicted about ZT for a long time while reading it. The plot - particularly ZOMBIES!!!!! - might lead you to think that this is a very plot-driven, ass-kicking, MG adventure story. It isn't. It's a surprisingly dark, quiet, character-focused book about coping with grief, loss and understanding death. I should also warn you that this is one of my more biased rev ...more
Reut
I will read anything Hannah Moskowitz writes. I'm serious. Her books are awesome. Therefore I will read them.

I read her debut, Break, (my review here) and I liked it a lot. I read Invincible Summer, her second book (my mini-review here), and I loved it. So when Hannah announced an ARC tour for what will be her first middle-grade and her third book overall--yeah, I signed up. (And we were allowed to write all over the book!)

I enjoyed Zombie Tag. I loved the idea and while I was reading the first
Lydia Sharp
Nominating myself for president of the official Eben fan club.

I can't even wrap my head around how much I *heart* this story.

EDIT: HERE IS MY FULL REVIEW BELOW, AS IT APPEARED ON MY BLOG.

In Hannah's MG debut, we get a good dose of the Hannah-isms we've come to love in her YA novels. Her prose is concise, yet emotionally deep. I have to admit, I envy her ability to consistently write "lean and mean." It makes the story move along quickly while keeping a firm grip on your heart.

Especially since th
Sage Collins
What can I say about this book, except how brilliant it is? Obviously, I already knew I would love it, since I beta-read an old version of it. I can see some of the differences (like a whole new character!), but one thing that didn't change was how well it was written and how poignant it is.

At its heart, Zombie Tag is not a book about zombies. Yes, there are zombies. Yes, there is a game called Zombie Tag. There are absolutely spatulas all over this book. But the book isn't about those things. T
Elissa Hoole
This book is terrific--fun, poignant, and so new. I can't wait for my students to read this one! (And for them to laugh with me about the clueless Ms. Hoole!)
Jessica (Step Into Fiction)
I’m a huge fan of Hannah Moskowitz so when she announce awhile back that she was having her first Middle Grade book released, I knew I had to read this even though I’ve never ever bothered reading MG before now. I get weird looks as it is for reading Young Adult, I couldn’t even imagine the looks I’d get for reading something lower than YA. But you know what, who cares? You’re out there reading, who cares what you’re reading. (I honestly would expect to be given these types of looks if I was alw ...more
Margaret
I really enjoyed this book. Yes, it's a children's book, but that just serves to ensure that it's not overly gruesome like so many YA books are these days.
The characters were engaging, though I have to admit that I agree with Wil & his opinion of Eben.
The "love?" relationship was adorable.
I appreciate the good use of a kitchen utensil. (Patricia C. Wrede's frying pan of doom, anyone?)

My only mild dislike was what I see as a dangling plot point, but I don't know how to begin to describe it wi
Rachael Allen
10 Things I Love About Zombie Tag:

1) The cover fits perfectly.
2) It comes with its own game. (And the game is AWESOME. I mean, hi, you can buy your kid, ahem, or yourself, not just a book but untold hours of zombie tagging enjoyment.)
3) The humor. (Example: "It's five miles. Anthony should really get his stories peer-reviewed or something." )
4) The voice. It is pitch perfect middle grade boy. <3 Wil.
5) The twist. It completely blindsided me, but also made total sense looking back.
6) The frien
Tredyffrin Children
This is the most amazing book I've read all year. Granted, it is only the beginning of February, but still. Uh-Mazing.

The plot, in super-brief: 12-year-old zombie-obsessed Wil finds a way to bring his older brother Graham back from the dead. But will Graham be the same awesome big brother Wil remembers, or will he instead eat Wil's brains? Perhaps more importantly, has Wil just triggered the zombie apocalypse?

This book has everything (suspense, fun, heartbreak) and it goes way beyond its action
Step Into Fiction
I’m a huge fan of Hannah Moskowitz, so when she announce awhile back that she was having her first Middle Grade book released, I knew I had to read this even though I’ve never ever bothered reading MG before now.

Review originally posted at Step Into Fiction

Review completed by: Jessica
E. Anderson
First and foremost, ZOMBIE TAG is a story about brothers. About the kind of love and friendship that can only exist within a family, and the special grief that comes when that bond is broken. Twelve-year-old Wil is a younger brother, and he knows about this grief. Not long ago, he lost his brother Graham. And he misses him. A lot.

Right now, his only solace is in Zombie Tag. Or, really, the friends with whom he plays this made-up game. Wil and Graham used to make up a lot of games, and Wil just k
Ms. Yingling
There's nothing Wil likes more than a rousing game of Zombie Tag with his friends. They run around with spatulas, pretending to bite each other and to hunger after brains. Everyone's parents are uncomfortable with this, given the Unfortunate Incident with zombies thirty odd years ago, but Wil's parents are expecially concerned because the entire family is still reeling from the death of Wil's older brother, Graham, from an asthma attack. When Wil finds out that one of his friend's fathers has a ...more
Kim
From December 2011 SLJ:
Gr 5-8–Ever since his older brother’s death earlier this year, 12-year-old Wil’s coping strategy has been to escape with his friends into Zombie Tag, a game in which the “zombie” tries to capture the other players and eat their brains before they can find the hidden object and escape with it. Of course, he knows (or thinks he knows) that zombies don’t really eat people’s brains: he has scoured the Internet to piece together information on the zombie awakening of 30 years a
Amy Fournier
When I saw this book I thought it sounded like a fun quick book to read, and I was partially right. Parts of it were fun, and it was definitely quick, but it was deeper than I thought a MG book like this would be. Not that it's a bad thing, I was caught off guard by the emotional aspect of a book meant for kids of the age range intended. I thought that the idea behind it was cute and creative. The story goes quick and the characters are well written. The story is very thoughtful, and touching. T ...more
Zombie Tag is a cute but bittersweet middle grade novel by Hannah Moskowitz. Will's older brother Graham died approximately 6 months before from an acute asthma attack. Wil and his parents haven't been doing very well since. Wil invented a game called zombie tag in an effort to learn how to battle zombies.

I loved this book. It's setting is contemporary but the world is just a little different. Zombies are a real possibility. Wil is desperate to get his family back. When he learns of a way to mak
Aimeekay

I really liked this book. It is told from the perspective of Wil, a twelve year old little boy, who's older brother has recently passed away. His family has stalled since his brother's passing. They have moved to a new home, but his brother's presence is still there. Wil feels as if he can't connect with his father anymore, and his mother just seems lost in her grief. Going so far as to want to place four settings for dinner instead of the three that are now required. Wil becomes convinced that
Kevin Craig
This review taken from my review blog: http://www.trythisbookonforsize.blogs...

“Graham and I spit on our hands and promised we would never, ever grow up. He’s not going to get out of that just by dying.” ~ Hannah Moskowitz, Zombie Tag

“Talking to you is like talking to myself.” ~ Hannah Moskowitz, Zombie Tag (This is a truism for ALL brothers in the throes of their child years together. It’s a shame we forget it when we grow up.)

ZOMBIE TAG has very little to do with zombies. Don’t tell Hannah Mo
Ashelynn
This review also appears on Gypsy Book Reviews.

Zombie Tag is cute and horrifyingly gut-wrenching. After reading Hannah Moskowitz’s YA titles(excluding her upcoming Gone, Gone, Gone) I’m thinking Hannah likes to write sad, depressing stories even though I’ve heard Gone, Gone, Gone is a happily-ever-after type of story. WELL. I’m like 100 pages into that one and I’m not happy that the animals are still gone, HANNAH.

Anyway...

Zombie Tag is Hannah’s debut middle grade and I think she writes wonderfu
Karla Nellenbach
I have to say that lately, I've fallen in love with MG, and with ZOMBIE TAG, I've fallen hard. This book has everything you want in a good story. There's the lovable, slightly damaged main character, the family ravaged by tragedy, the friends who want to help, those who the MC betrayed.

And, of course, there are zombies.

Wil is the kind of main character you want to get behind. He idolized his brother, and hasn't quite been the same since Graham's untimely death. He'd give anything to bring him
T.L. Bodine
I was fortunate enough to have a quiet day at work today, which is good as I was hesitant to put the book down. I have a special fondness for MG books, and this one definitely lived up to my expectations.

I've never read any Hannah Moskowitz before, but I'd been curious about her writing for a long time. Her themes, and especially her tone, seemed reminiscent to me of my favorite authors from the 80s: Robert Cormier and Richard Peck.

I wasn't that far off. ZOMBIE TAG wasn't as heart-wrenchingly d
MB Mulhall
I've been a fan of Hannah Moskowitz's work for several years now. When I heard she was writing a book aimed at a middle grade market, I wasn't sure what to expect. Would it be super silly and goofy? Would it lose that special "Hannah" quality I've come to know and love in her work? I shouldn't have worried.

While it definitely had its silly lighthearted moments (Come on, they're playing zombie tag! RRAAWWR BRAINS!)it was more about the relationship between two brothers who had been growing up (o
Amy
I cannot wait to read this book with my 9 year old son! Sounds like something we'll both enjoy immensely.

UPDATE: We started this yesterday. We finished this yesterday. It was a quick read but still contained a deep, evolving story. The book was funny (we laughed out loud at some parts), clever, and heartbreaking. I will definitely be adding other Moskowitz books to my to-read shelf.

Also, on a personal note-this was my very first Goodreads Giveaway book! Very exciting for us both!
Glenda Laitinen
I would think that the target market for this book is aimed at tweens, but I would recommend any age group to read this lovely written story dealing with family, love and loss. My book club does not generally discuss this type of genre, but I am short listing this book as it deserves to be read and discussed. I won a an ARC of this book through GOODREADS.
Jillian -always aspiring-
I loved this book (as much as or even more so than Moskowitz's latest novel Gone, Gone, Gone), and now I wish I had mates who were young enough at heart to play a few rounds of Zombie Tag with me.
I like zombies. I like Hannah's books. You can draw your own conclusions from there! No, this book is not a thrilling action adventure. It is a very thoughtful story of family and love and death and being left behind: kiddy philosophy as dispensed by lovable and well-drawn characters.
Steph Campbell
Thank you Hannah for writing such a witty, hilarious, heart-string-tugging novel that I could share with my 8 and 11 year olds. This was the highlight of our nights, reading this together before bed. Will post a more detailed review a bit closer to release date. Amazing book!!
Jeanette
Fast read, think middle graders will really enjoy this. Surprising depth and bittersweet story and very well done. Won this as a giveaway and glad I did. Can't wait to read with my daughter when she's a bit older.
an epic child wrote this 2 2 Nov 20, 2014 05:21PM
  • Till Death Do Us Bark (43 Old Cemetery Road, #3)
  • Going Underground
  • Always October
  • Water Balloon
  • Undead Ahead (The Zombie Chasers #2)
  • Dancing Home
  • Far
  • Chained
  • Guardian of the Green Hill
  • Robot Zombie Frankenstein!
  • Pi in the Sky
  • Darwen Arkwright and the Peregrine Pact (Darwen Arkwright, #1)
  • The Grave Robber's Apprentice
  • The Paper Menagerie
  • Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
  • Zombiekins
  • Gena/Finn
  • Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow (Jacob Wonderbar, #1)
Hannah Moskowitz wrote her first story, about a kitten named Lilly on the run from cat hunters, for a contest when she was seven years old. She was disqualified for violence. Her first book, BREAK, was on the ALA's 2010 list of Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults, and her book GONE, GONE, GONE won a Stonewall Honor in 2013. She graduated from the University of Maryland in 2013, and now lives in Ne ...more
More about Hannah Moskowitz...
Gone, Gone, Gone Break Teeth Invincible Summer Not Otherwise Specified

“Even though Graham and I went back to arguing and stealing socks and hiding each other's toothbrushes in the litter box, I didn't forget that Graham didn't think I needed a best friend, because either it meant he thought I was cool enough to handle everything alone or—and this was what I hoped—it meant that he was my best friend, quietly, forever, no matter what.
I mean, after all, whose skates had I been wearing?”
14 likes
“So once the zookeeper realized it was the monkeys who stole the bananas, he knew there was only one way he'd be able to get them back."
"How?" I whispered. My throat was so sore.
"Don't talk. He had to beat them in shuffleboard, of course."
"What?"
"I said don't talk. Monkeys love shuffleboard."
He used a page from a homework assignment he'd failed and a stack of quarters to make a shuffleboard court. I watched the monkeys and the zookeepers have their showdown while I sipped the last of my applejuice.
"Need more?" Graham asked me without looking up, when my straw skidded against the dry bottom of the box.
"Uh uh."
"You're supposed to drink juice."
"I just drank some."
"More, though."
I shook my head.
"Drink more juice or the monkeys are going to kill you. The only thing they love more than shuffleboard is beating up dehydrated sick boys.”
2 likes