Unbending Gender: Why Family and Work Conflict and What To Do About It

Unbending Gender: Why Family and Work Conflict and What To Do About It

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In Unbending Gender, Joan Williams takes a hard look at the state of feminism in America. Concerned by what she finds--young women who flatly refuse to identify themselves as feminists and working-class and minority women who feel the movement hasn't addressed the issues that dominate their daily lives--she outlines a new vision of feminism that calls for workplaces focuse...more
Published September 13th 2001 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published November 18th 1999)

Elizabeth Johansen
This is a dense and amazing book that describes a new kind of feminism - reconstructive feminism. It includes a history of where we have come from regarding gender roles in society and specifically talks about what aspects of 1960's feminism aren't working today. The main proposition: I kinder, gentler world where both men and women have the ability to work fewer hours, and either gender can pursue their dreams of career, family, or both.
marilyn
full of interesting facts and tidbits and perspectives I hadn't considered about how people, male and female, from all classes, deal with balancing a career and a family and a LIFE. Pretty convincing evidence on the need for paradigm changes.
Heidi
I used this book for a research paper about family work conflict for attorneys. I really appreciated the depth of her theory and the amount of statistical research she used to support this... Although I did feel that some of the legal solutions she proffers are based in theory and not the reality of the current legal system (and hostility toward toward these types of cases). Interestingly enough, she also makes the case that work-family conflict is not a "women's issue"

Nonetheless, I really like...more
Anya Behn
I am very interested in women and cultural politics. The best thing about this book is that the author is a lawyer who is showing how to change our world legally to assist in cultural acceptance of the value of women's work. The book "Get to Work" is another in this vein--she said "If women (working at home) worked next door they would be getting paid & have Social Security."
Michellebody
I enjoyed this book. I read it as a part of a sociology course that I took and it was really eye opening in a number of ways.
Jennifer Stotter
A book that changed the way I think about work and caregiving, and how we value caregiving in US society.
Leila
Should be part of the official learning curricula.
Valerie
I had high hopes for this book since the subject matter definitely is interesting to me and applies to my life. Here is my beef- the dust cover says "the author presents material in layman's terms so that all can understand" (or something to that effect). It is absolutely not in layman's terms. I am a layman and I did not understand half of what she was saying. But I got one thing out of the parts I read (because I actually didn't finish it)- our culture's view on women and work are not only hor...more
Judy
Still in the process of reading it, but here is my current take on it.

Pros: Really gets down to the root of the problem fueling gender wars and explains some of my observations with the varying views of women.
cons: It is very technical which makes it very hard to read and seems very dull at times. Lots of technical terms and back references to them and other chapters.

Once you get pass the dull technical aspects, it has really great points!
Tonya
Great analysis of why it's so hard to combine motherhood and career in today's society, and why options for part-time work are so limited. Not much help for an individual in the "what to do about it" department.
Jesse
Apr 01, 2013 Jesse rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jesse by: Women's History class text
everyone who dislikes the current state of equality between women and men, and even those who like current gender roles should read this book. so basically everyone.
Alisa
Too much of a feminist agenda and I didn't appreciate the lack of objectivity..also a dead boring read.
Curran Boomer
Curran Boomer marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Mini Nguyen
Mini Nguyen marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Betsy Thurow
Betsy Thurow marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Harmeet
Harmeet marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Scotty Combs
Scotty Combs marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Oana
Oana is currently reading it
Feb 11, 2014
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Leni
Leni marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Malaz
Malaz marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Shiri
Shiri added it
Nov 23, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Carol Miller
Carol Miller marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Maggie Brown
Maggie Brown marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Professor Joan C. Williams is Distinguished Professor of Law, 1066 Foundation Chair, founding Director of the Center for WorkLife Law at University of California, Hastings College of the Law, and Co-Director of the Project on Attorney Retention (PAR).
More about Joan C. Williams...
What Works for Women at Work: Four Patterns Working Women Need to Know Reshaping the Work-Family Debate: Why Men and Class Matter Solving the Part-Time Puzzle: The Law Firm's Guide to Balanced Hours Journal of Social Issues, the Maternal Wall: Research and Policy Perspectives on Discrimination Against Mothers Rethinking Commodification: Cases and Readings in Law and Culture