Start by marking “Unbending Gender” as Want to Read:
Unbending Gender

Unbending Gender

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In Unbending Gender, Joan Williams takes a hard look at the state of feminism in America. Concerned by what she finds--young women who flatly refuse to identify themselves as feminists and working-class and minority women who feel the movement hasn't addressed the issues that dominate their daily lives--she outlines a new vision of feminism that calls for workplaces focuse ...more
Published September 13th 2001 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published November 18th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Unbending Gender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unbending Gender

Elizabeth Johansen
Sep 24, 2008 Elizabeth Johansen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: womens-studies
This is a dense and amazing book that describes a new kind of feminism - reconstructive feminism. It includes a history of where we have come from regarding gender roles in society and specifically talks about what aspects of 1960's feminism aren't working today. The main proposition: I kinder, gentler world where both men and women have the ability to work fewer hours, and either gender can pursue their dreams of career, family, or both.
marilyn
Feb 17, 2007 marilyn rated it really liked it
full of interesting facts and tidbits and perspectives I hadn't considered about how people, male and female, from all classes, deal with balancing a career and a family and a LIFE. Pretty convincing evidence on the need for paradigm changes.
Heidi
Oct 24, 2007 Heidi rated it really liked it
I used this book for a research paper about family work conflict for attorneys. I really appreciated the depth of her theory and the amount of statistical research she used to support this... Although I did feel that some of the legal solutions she proffers are based in theory and not the reality of the current legal system (and hostility toward toward these types of cases). Interestingly enough, she also makes the case that work-family conflict is not a "women's issue"

Nonetheless, I really like
Amanda
Mar 01, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: political-theory
Joan Williams does an incredible job of systematizing many issues that I have always thought of separately. Her vision in this book is broad--sometimes so broad that it makes it difficult to follow, but nevertheless the ambitious scope remains an asset.

Her most effective argument is about the need to dismantle the ideal-worker norm. She skillfully shows how our "norm of parental care"--the deeply valued cultural belief that children are entitled to a certain amount of parental care--functions in
Anya Behn
Jul 19, 2009 Anya Behn rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I am very interested in women and cultural politics. The best thing about this book is that the author is a lawyer who is showing how to change our world legally to assist in cultural acceptance of the value of women's work. The book "Get to Work" is another in this vein--she said "If women (working at home) worked next door they would be getting paid & have Social Security."
Michelle
Jul 05, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. I read it as a part of a sociology course that I took and it was really eye opening in a number of ways.
Jan 28, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
A book that changed the way I think about work and caregiving, and how we value caregiving in US society.
Leila
Nov 11, 2009 Leila rated it it was amazing
Should be part of the official learning curricula.
Valerie
Apr 19, 2011 Valerie rated it did not like it
I had high hopes for this book since the subject matter definitely is interesting to me and applies to my life. Here is my beef- the dust cover says "the author presents material in layman's terms so that all can understand" (or something to that effect). It is absolutely not in layman's terms. I am a layman and I did not understand half of what she was saying. But I got one thing out of the parts I read (because I actually didn't finish it)- our culture's view on women and work are not only hor ...more
Judy
Jun 15, 2014 Judy rated it liked it
Pros: Really gets down to the root of the problem fueling gender wars and explains some of my observations with the varying views of women.
cons: It is very technical which makes it very hard to read and seems very dull at times. Lots of technical terms and back references to them and other chapters.

Once you get pass the dull technical aspects, it has really great points!
Tonya
Oct 31, 2007 Tonya rated it really liked it
Great analysis of why it's so hard to combine motherhood and career in today's society, and why options for part-time work are so limited. Not much help for an individual in the "what to do about it" department.
Jesse
Apr 01, 2013 Jesse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jesse by: Women's History class text
everyone who dislikes the current state of equality between women and men, and even those who like current gender roles should read this book. so basically everyone.
Alisa
May 22, 2012 Alisa rated it it was ok
Too much of a feminist agenda and I didn't appreciate the lack of objectivity..also a dead boring read.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Ameena
Ameena marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Jordan Terry
Jordan Terry marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Radhika
Radhika marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Robyn Scanlan
Robyn Scanlan marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Milli
Milli marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Rita
Rita added it
May 16, 2016
Asheelia Behari
Asheelia Behari rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Dorothy
Dorothy marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Salma
Salma marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Deltyn
Deltyn rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
  • Opting Out?: Why Women Really Quit Careers and Head Home
  • The Price of Motherhood: Why the Most Important Job in the World Is Still the Least Valued
  • White Weddings: Romancing Heterosexuality in Popular Culture
  • No Excuses: 9 Ways Women Can Change How We Think about Power
  • The Time Bind: When Work Becomes Home and Home Becomes Work
  • Women's Lives, Men's Laws
  • Talking from 9 to 5: Women and Men at Work
  • Adios, Barbie: Young Women Write About Body Image and Identity
  • The Mommy Myth: The Idealization of Motherhood and How It Has Undermined All Women
  • Gender Play: Girls and Boys in School
  • Here Comes the Bride: Women, Weddings, and the Marriage Mystique
  • The Feminine Mistake: Are We Giving Up Too Much?
  • A Country of Strangers: Blacks and Whites in America
  • The Unfinished Revolution: How a New Generation Is Reshaping Family, Work, and Gender in America
  • Flux: Women on Sex, Work, Love, Kids, and Life in a Half-Changed World
  • Gender and Jim Crow: Women and the Politics of White Supremacy in North Carolina, 1896-1920
  • Fresh Lipstick: Redressing Fashion and Feminism
  • The War on Moms: On Life in a Family-Unfriendly Nation
Professor Joan C. Williams is Distinguished Professor of Law, 1066 Foundation Chair, founding Director of the Center for WorkLife Law at University of California, Hastings College of the Law, and Co-Director of the Project on Attorney Retention (PAR).
More about Joan C. Williams...