Start by marking “Cat Stories” as Want to Read:
Cat Stories

Cat Stories

Cat Stories brings together two centuries of literary homage to the fascinating feline by great writers of every stripe - from Edgar Allan Poe and Walter de la Mare to Damon Runyon and Doris Lessing.

Playful kittens and ruthless predators, beloved pets and witches' familiars - cats of all kinds come alive in these pages. Maeve Brennan and Alice Adams movingly explore what c
Published October 18th 2011 by Everyman's Library (first published September 1st 2011)

Amanda
Mar 25, 2017 Amanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories, cats
I've come to the decision that short story anthologies rarely work for me. In this case I made the mistake of assuming "cat stories" mean "stories for cat lovers," which was not the case. There were two stories in here, specifically, that demonized cats, which would most likely really annoy a cat lover. And for the most part, these stories were just meh for me. I liked the first story best, and then it was down hill from there. On a positive note, this was a well made book, with smooth pages and ...more
Pamela
Jan 09, 2012 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-best
Delightful! And maybe a splash of sad. And a heap of weird. But every story made me want to run home and give my Taco a hug.
Vanessa
Dec 25, 2012 Vanessa rated it really liked it
My boyfriend bought me this little collection of short stories as a Christmas present. He knows me well - I am a big cat lover, and the idea of a book dedicated to stories about cats was perfect for me. Although I am not generally a fan of hardback books, this series by Everyman Library is small enough to cart around with you in your bag without taking up too much room. Handy for bus journeys!
I liked the fact that there was a real diversity in the stories presented here. There were some very tra
M
Jan 19, 2013 M rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology, cats
A very nice collection of stories about cats. I like that there's a mix of human and cat perspectives as well as a mix of realistic and fantastic stories. There were a few I wasn't too fond of, but overall I enjoyed this collection, and found the final story to be particularly intriguing. I might have to check out that author's other works at some point, and reading the Neil Gaiman story has served to remind me that I really need to read more by him.
Gitte Winneche
Sep 25, 2014 Gitte Winneche rated it liked it
Shelves: own-and-read, own
Næsten hele vejen igennem var jeg sikker på, at bogen skulle lande på en 4/5'er. Desværre bragte den sidste tredjedel af novellerne ikke samme glæde, som de to første dele af bogen. Alligevel vil jeg anbefale samlingen til alle, der holder af katte - der er virkelig nogle perler imellem disse historier!
Emily
Sep 23, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Such a lovely book for cat lovers! Also introduced me to some great authors, as it is an anthology of short stories.
Apr 16, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
There were some good ones and some weird ones, but I did enjoy most of them due to the role of the feline in all of them. Meow.
BookLady
Jan 05, 2017 BookLady rated it really liked it
Para la gente que le gustan los gatos y los cuentos, éste es el libro perfecto. Una recopilación de short-stories escritas por autores como Italo Calvino o Edgar Allan Poe entre otros.
Dividido en tres partes: los humanos y sus gatos, los gatos y sus humanos y gatos extraordinarios. Los primeros cuentos son en su mayoría anécdotas y recuerdos de gente que ha tenido gatos en algún momento de su vida, la segunda parte son anécdotas contadas desde el punto de vista felino sobre la vida con los huma
Dani (The Pluviophile Reader)
A selection of short stories on the beloved feline that stretches over two centuries.

Review at The Pluviophile Reader: http://bit.ly/2koj7TD

3/5 stars.
Hardcover, 400 pages.
Read from November 14 to December 04, 2016.

Ruthless killer? Mischievous and unloving companion? Or a life long playful and affection friend? Cats are dynamic beings that can be described in many ways which is probably one of the many reasons why we love them so much. Tesdall brings together this anthology of feline short storie
Saklani
Apr 03, 2016 Saklani rated it really liked it
This is an interesting set of stories but authors both familiar and not. A variety of genres were included in the book, including horror, science fiction, humor and drama. However, there were too many that were depressing to my tastes. Only P.G. Wodehouse's story was completely satisfying in the sense of good things happening for cat and humans and being hilarious, as well. The Poe and Blackwood stories were both very satisfying. Overall, if you like cats, this is a worthy read, but prepare to b ...more
Rikke
Sep 07, 2014 Rikke rated it liked it
Perfect for any catlover! Filled with purring, miauwing and sinister yellow eyes staring out into the darkness. While some stories resonated more deeply with me than others, I would highly recommend this delightful little collection to any cat lady who is fond of books. Books and cats do after all compliment each other rather well.
Lindsey Schuette
Aug 27, 2015 Lindsey Schuette rated it liked it
As with any book of short stories, some of these are excellent and some are pretty awful. If I weren't reading this as part of a challenge, I would have skipped some of them for sure. I liked how they were organized, though the tone varied wildly from one story to the next. Obviously that's hard to avoid with a book like this, but I think short story compilations might just not be my thing.
Janean
Jul 09, 2016 Janean rated it liked it
If these were dog stories they'd all be heartwarming. But they're cat stories. So a lot of them end with the cat dying, or disappearing, or turning out to be a witch, or alcoholic. The E. A. Poe story is so horrifying I had stop reading. But some of the stories are awesome, especially in the final section, 'Fanciful Felines.'
Beverly
Oct 18, 2016 Beverly rated it liked it
Startling range of cat stories from Edgar Allen Poe's horror "The Black Cat", to Alice Adams memories of grief, lost love, and recovery in "The Islands". The stories are so diverse it was hard to rate. The tales were funny, sad, and frankly some were just strange. Over all I enjoyed the trip, and I am glad I read this book.
Natasha Glerup
Sep 22, 2014 Natasha Glerup rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
The purrfect fit for any catlover, who needs a little a little feline love in their lives. I thouroughly enjoyed this collection of cattish short stories, ranging from the sweetly to the fearsomely terrifying.

Tastes great with coffee and purring furrballs in your lap. A+ :)
Christina Maria
I've had this book lying around for a while, so I decided to finally read it. There weren't any stories that I particularly hated, but more than a few of them bored me a little. However, the ones I liked I liked a lot, so I think it's worth reading and having the whole set for those few.
Adrienne
Mar 08, 2012 Adrienne rated it liked it
Some good cat stories, some not so good.
Karen
Nov 07, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
Lots of good authors.
Tippy Jackson
Jan 04, 2013 Tippy Jackson marked it as abandoned
Shelves: animalia
I only read the first 3 stories, which weren't bad, but also didn't really grab me.
Luiza
Luiza rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Ailbhe O'connell
Ailbhe O'connell rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Emma Ward
Emma Ward rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2016
Jana
Jana rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2013
Abigail
Abigail rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Joyce
Joyce rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Robyn
Robyn rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Mary Kay
Mary Kay rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Steampunk III: Steampunk Revolution
  • Stories to Get You Through the Night
  • Vanity Fair's Tales of Hollywood: Rebels, Reds, and Graduates and the Wild Stories Behind theMaking of 13 Iconic Films
  • Outsiders: 22 All-New Stories From the Edge
  • The Knife Drawer
  • From Ink Lake: Canadian Stories Selected By Michael Ondaatje
  • Off Limits: Tales of Alien Sex
  • Lust, Caution and Other Stories
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Loving Our Cats: Heartwarming and Humorous Stories about our Feline Family Members
  • Magicats!
  • Imaginarium 2012: The Best Canadian Speculative Writing
  • Superheroes
  • The Persephone Book of Short Stories
  • The Oxford Book of English Short Stories
  • The Future is Japanese: Science Fiction Futures and Brand New Fantasies from and about Japan.
  • Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy