Start by marking “The Last Echo (The Body Finder, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Last Echo (The Body Finder, #3)

The Last Echo (The Body Finder #3)

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,064 Ratings  ·  989 Reviews
In the end, all that’s left is an echo.

Before, Violet's morbid ability to sense the dead led her to uncover dark murders and long-buried secrets in her small town. Now that she's working with a special investigative team, Violet hopes she can help even more people - whether by saving a life or catching a killer.

Although she's relieved to finally be honest about what she
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 358 pages
Published April 17th 2012 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Last Echo, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Can't Wait Books of 2012
61st out of 2,453 books — 15,881 voters
YA Novels of 2012
43rd out of 1,325 books — 10,598 voters

More lists with this book...

Lindsay
Jan 15, 2013 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Pre-Review:
Even though I'm so incredibly excited for this book to come out, I've got a few issues that I'm worrying about. Okay, one particularly specific issue in mind:

Rafe

I don't like Rafe because I have a feeling Kimberly Derting's going to pull a Twilight and throw in a love triangle. And I honestly don't want this to happen! JAY + VIOLET! They're perfect! Let them stay together!

I would be so happy if:
-Rafe hits on Vi but she doesn't even give him the time of day
-Jay takes his shirt off
-Jay
Carla *Jen7waters*
I’m so angry right now! SO ANGRY!
Why Kimberly, why? Why is this book about RafeRafeRafe? Why couldn’t you have started another series if you wanted to tell his story, instead of just making him pretty much the leading character of The Last Echo, when it should have been all about Violet?? WHYYY? This was one of my favorite series! And now it’s ruined, ruined, ruined!! Damn you “Third Book In A Series Curse”, damn you!!!
I never thought that a The Body Finder novel could ever bore me to tears, bu
Ellen
Jun 23, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it
Shelves: loveeee, read-in-2012
I just finished Desires of the Dead, and I am going to be sooooo upset if she gets with Rafe! Does the main character always need to attract two guys??? Why can't they ever just be happy with what they have and leave the other guy aloneeeeee? Honestly, it makes me so mad. The odds of a girl finding ONE amazing guy is extremely slim, but TWO? Really? Still, I cant wait for the next one. April can't come fast enough...
Edit After Reading:
PLEASE, OH PLEASE, MAKE THE LOVE TRIANGLES STOP!
Hannah
Why do all the series that you want to read never have books that follow one after the other?! I really like this series with Violet's morbid ability, her relationship with the ever-so-sweet Jay *sigh* and the built up anticipation (that never fails to draw me in) of finding out who the murderer is this time. I'm really excited to read the 3rd installment of the Body Finder for one major reason:

........................ (just creating suspense) .....................

RAFE!!!!!!!

Ok so I love Jay and
Princess Bookie
Dec 31, 2011 Princess Bookie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read2011
My Thoughts: And I thought The Body Finder and Desires Of The Dead were awesome books. The Last Echo is by far the best in the series so far.

We are back with Violet who can see imprints. Remember, she can see the imprints of dead people on the killers bodies. Jay, her super cool boyfriend is also around throughout the novel. He is there to help Violet get through life with her special abilities.

Violet is working with a group of people who have similar abilities to hers. There is Sam, Sarah, Rafe
Sadia
Derting is pretty freaking awesome.

How else can you explain how this author makes you nearly understand, nearly feel sorry for a KILLER? And I ask myself.. nearly? Or did I actually feel sympathy and sadness for a person who killed innocent victims? You know what? I think I did.. the way the author describes this killer, you know he isn't mentally stable, you know he was messed up beyond recognition as a kid (that by no means justifies killing, however! Calm it. And put the knife back down now
~Tina~
Apr 17, 2012 ~Tina~ rated it really liked it
There is something so amazing about Kimberly Derting's books. I wish I could say I've come a long way from being the total chicken-sh!t that I am, but really it's all Derting. I love the way she lets the readers connect with each psychopath in each book but she leaves plenty of room for all those lovely romantic moments.
I don't seem to realize how much I actually miss this world till I'm right back in it.

The Last Echo, feels a bit different from the rest of the books, but I actually like the d
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Violet has a strange ability to sense the echoes of dead bodies and the imprints on their killers. Feeling shunned her whole life due to her ability, she’s recently joined a special investigative team of teenagers with powers to solve crimes. Will Violet feel like she finally belongs?

The Last Echo is the third in The Body Finder series which delves into Violet’s struggles in fitting with a new group, a looming love triangle with her boyfriend Jay and the mysterious Rafe, and a serial killer on t
Mary
Apr 23, 2012 Mary rated it did not like it
I LOVED the first book, the second was ok, but now it's time to let it be, another series to go down the drain. Kimberly Derting is great writing the bad guys POV, it's scary, creepy and interesting, but her teenagers are the most annoying bunch, specially Violet in this book, she's always asking obvious questions: "it is not, is it?" He would not, would he?" ANNOYING.

And don't get me started with the organization, men in black is in the house, just ridiculous.

Everything that I loved in the fi
Jonababez
May 26, 2012 Jonababez rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I like the fact that there was the killer's profile and how he became like that.And what I like the most is the information about Rafe and Sara. I just don't like the fact that Rafe likes Violet, he should have someone else. Anyway, I can't wait for the third book, so freaking hard to wait for next year!
Alexa

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

May contain minor spoilers.

This was an interesting installment in the Body Finder series. It frustrated me and yet reminded me how much I loved the first book The Body Finder. While I couldn't bring myself to appreciate certain aspects, I think if you're a fan of the events that occurred in the second book Desires of the Dead you'll probably enjoy The Last Echo.

As I mentioned in my review for Desires of the Dead, there were some changes compared
Amaryllis
This is my first comment ever on Goodreads!
I never felt the urge to express my opinion about any book... until today. Which is weird because I finished "The last echo" several days ago. Even weirder is the fact that I actually DREAMT of the book last night! THIS. IS. CRAZY. It was a ho-rri-ble nightmare. Which says a lot about how much I disliked the book (for it to have such an impact on my conscience...)

I agree with people who think we should not judge a book by its romance. I really do. But
Emma
Aug 07, 2012 Emma rated it it was amazing
I just finished Desires of the Dead today, I'm dying for this book to come out!
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

If, like me, you were a little underwhelmed by the villain in DESIRES OF THE DEAD, you’ll be glad to know that in Kimberly Derting’s THE LAST ECHO, Violet finds herself once again in the crosshairs of a serial killer. As with the phenomenal debut, I was creeped out and afraid while reading, two emotions that helped make THE BODY FINDER and now THE LAST ECHO such powerful books. I actually found myself anticipating the serial killer POV chapters because
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Okay, I’m going to get right to it. If you haven’t read the first two books in The Body Finder series, beware that there may be spoilers ahead for those books. I’ll try not to include spoilers, but I can’t promise that something I don’t think is a spoiler for the other books won’t seem spoilery to you. My apologies in advance. You have been warned. :0)

I won my signed copy of Desires of the Dead from the author herself, but I hadn’t really heard much about the series until that point. Of cour
Reading Teen
At a Glance:

Kimberly Derting doesn't just do it again, she does it bigger, better, scarier, and more intensely than before! The Last Echo was exhilarating and nerve-wracking, keeping you constantly on your toes and holding your breath the whole time!

So How Did This One Compare?

I adored The Body Finder, and really liked Desires of the Dead. I think The Last Echo was every bit as good as book one. It had a different feel than The Body Finder, though. It was much creepier and darker. While I though
Krystal
Jan 18, 2012 Krystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

Dying for the next Body Finder novel? Well, readers won't be disappointed. The book picks up from the last novel with Violet working in a group to find murderers. Violet and Jay's romance remains sweet and endearing, but now Rafe is thrown into the mix. Rafe makes things more confusing than ever for Violet. She has to interact with him and answer to him for their different assignments. She also has to worry about catching the attention of a murderer who has a sick crush developing.

This novel fo
N to the A
Nov 16, 2012 N to the A rated it really liked it
So, I just read a couple of the anti-Rafe reviews, and I thought the discussion could do with some yay-Rafe!
I think Jay could do with a little competition! Yes, I know, he's dreamy and all perfect and, dare I say it? Maybe a liiiiittle bit boring. Just a little bit. Please don't kill me.
I think a Body Finder series with Violet's man just being a supportive background, would be disappointing. I loved the whole thing Derting came up with, with the team, I thought it was a great twist with grea
♥ Sarah
Sep 30, 2014 ♥ Sarah rated it really liked it
This third installment of THE BODY FINDER series stepped up the intensity a couple notches. This one is my favorite so far.

This time around, the romantic focus between V and Jay are put on hold, as V tries to juggle her double life, and her conflicting feelings for Rafe.

What I enjoyed:
+ The little glimpses of the villain's POV (which adds to the mystery and tension, while providing eerily compelling insight)
+ Revelations of Rafe's past
+ Rafe and Violet moments
+ The darker shift in tone of the
Nicole
Another amazing novel written by an amazing author. The last echo was suspenseful and thrilling. It manged to keep me up all night, just like her other books in the seris have.... I loved every thing about the book, except the romance between Jay and Violet. I"ve been a fan of their relationship since book one, however my views began to shift once Rafe came into the picture. Hopefully Derting ends up starting a relationship with Vi and Rafe. Because personally, I think he understands Vi more tha ...more
Colleen Houck
I was really nervous about this one. The bad guy was hands down the worse one so far. Creepy lilac fingernail polish! I don't think I can wear purple on my nails ever again. Kimberly really upped the heebie jeebie factor this time. (Shudder) Great read!
Cristina Buzoianu
This book is very different of the first two in the series, but it's a good kind of different. Even if the secondary characters hardly make any appearance in this one, not even Jay, and I've missed them, this is the best in the series so far.
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
At A Glance

Genre:
Fantasy; Young Adult
Love Triangle/Insta Love?: Lopsided triangle.
Cliff Hanger: eh.

Total: 7

In Dept

Best Part:
SO MUCH ACTION
Worst Part: Stupid girls, yet again.
Thoughts Had: Where's jay???; Raf is getting crazyyy; oh there's jay

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
Recommending: meh.

Short Review: Okay so last book was all about the slight tensi
Noella
Apr 09, 2015 Noella rated it really liked it
A killer is on the loose, targeting young girls who all seem to share similar traits. The murderer has been dubbed The Collector. The book was divided between Violet's POV and the killer's POV. Violet has the ability of sensing echos and tying echos from the victims to the killers thus I couldn't join in guessing who was the murderer as there were no suspects (If there were, Violet would automatically know who it was once she saw them!). This was a unique experience for a mystery novel!

There we
Mariya
Sep 12, 2014 Mariya rated it really liked it
Why had he said all this? Why couldn't he have left things they way they were? But he wasn't finished with her yet. "It's also why I can't leave you alone."

I absolutely loved THE LAST ECHO! It was AMAZING! Kimberly Derting is an amazing author and I just can't wait for the next Body Finder book. I get so absorbed into these books that nothing else matters!

Violet joins Sarah's government group to help solve cases only special kids with her kind of ability can do. There are more kids in the gr
Erin
Jun 18, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
The Last Echo was far darker than the previous two Body Finder books. This book definitely goes in a different direction than the others and explores Violet’s experiences and the many brutal dangers of working with Sara and other psychic teenagers. Very, very few scenes were spent with Violet’s female friends, she spends no time in school and even Jay is largely absent. The feeling of Violet being in danger is unrelenting throughout the book, as her new job and coworkers take center stage. While ...more
Hannah (The Irish Banana Review)
I went into this series with such a feeling of trepidation, mostly because I believed this was the last book in the series. Kimberly Derting has assured us it is most assuredly not, and thank heavens. I don’t know what I’d do without this series. Hands down the Body Finder series is one of my all time favorites.

The Last Echo is everything I have come to love about this series: It’s romantic, thrilling, mysterious, and hot. By book 3, you know what you’re getting yourself into. Violet is one of m
Once Upon a Twilight
Jan 30, 2012 Once Upon a Twilight rated it it was amazing
I loved the first two books in The Body Finder series, but I loved this one even more. The first thing that grabs your eye with each of the books in this series is the cover-a different, beautiful and vibrant colored flower on each cover against a black background with white text is just striking. If that in itself wouldn't have you reaching for this off the shelf, the storyline certainly will. This book had me from the first page and didn't let go.

The Last Echo is written in third person and r
Melanie
Note that I didn't finish reading this book, I got no more than 110 pages in and gave up. For me, I liked the first two of this series, it was a great new sort of paranormal- ish situation and was interesting. However, in The Last Echo, I was constantly dropping the book after reading a page or so to go get a glass of water, write something down or simply just do nothing. Anything felt better than trying to devour this book. Once I finally decided to keep on reading, I'd pause again, find anothe ...more
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is book 3 in the ‘Body Finder’ series.
Violet is now working with Sara Parish who approached her from the FBI, using her talent to help discover dead bodies.
A serial killer is at work though, and it’s up to Violet and the other kids with special talents to try and catch him before he kills again.
Can Violet catch the killer? Or will the killer catch Violet?

This was an okay story, but I found myself bored most of the time.

Violet was once again her silly self
Rafe or Jay? 4 22 Jun 30, 2014 10:55AM
Gourley Jefferson...: The Last Echo Discussion 7 11 Jan 22, 2013 01:56PM
Is Violet a wimp? 2 28 Nov 10, 2012 09:24AM
The Body finder series :), what do you think? 11 79 Oct 16, 2012 02:58PM
  • Perception (Clarity, #2)
  • Shine (Shade, #3)
  • Arise (Hereafter, #2)
  • The Savage Grace (The Dark Divine, #3)
  • The Springsweet (The Vespertine, #2)
  • Social Suicide (Deadly Cool, #2)
  • Before I Wake (Soul Screamers, #6)
  • Deadly Little Voices (Touch, #4)
  • Endlessly (Paranormalcy, #3)
  • Timepiece (Hourglass, #2)
  • Last Rite (Personal Demons, #3)
  • A Want So Wicked (A Need So Beautiful, #2)
  • Destiny and Deception (13 to Life, #4)
  • Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2)
  • The Calling (Darkness Rising, #2)
  • Havoc (Deviants #2)
  • A Touch Morbid (A Touch Trilogy, #2)
  • Until I Die (Revenants, #2)
Kimberly is the author of the BODY FINDER series (HarperCollins), THE PLEDGE trilogy (Simon & Schuster), and THE TAKING trilogy (HarperTeen). She lives in the Pacific Northwest, the ideal place to write anything dark or creepy...a gloomy day can set the perfect mood. She lives with her husband and their three beautiful (and often mouthy) children who provide an endless source of inspiration.
More about Kimberly Derting...

The Body Finder (4 books)
  • The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1)
  • Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)
  • Dead Silence (The Body Finder, #4)

“In the end, all that's left is an echo.” 27 likes
“Maybe she'd just say she ran into a door; that seemed infinitely more plausible than the truth.” 15 likes