Start by marking “Voice” as Want to Read:
Voice

Voice

Local rock band Ragman is finally taking off. Stephanie Case's flamboyant performances and scorching guitar work have started attracting crowds, and singer John Tsiboukas--aka Johnny Tango--is delivering the best performances of his life. After months of playing to dead rooms, it looks like success is at hand. The thing is, there's something wrong with Johnny's voice. ...more
Published June 22nd 2011 by Ragman Press LLC (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Voice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voice

Bark's Book Nonsense
Jan 12, 2012 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, horror
John desperately wants to be a rock star but no matter how many lessons he takes his voice will always be the thing holding his band “Ragman” back from fame and fortune. He knows this and it eats at him but he’s determined to make it big. Making promises he can’t afford to keep, he convinces a beautiful, kick-ass guitarist named Stephanie Case to join his band. Soon after a strange man approaches him, a man who smells bad and seems to know far too much about John and who tempts him into making a ...more
Katy
Jan 13, 2013 Katy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves good horror and rock and roll
Recommended to Katy by: Joseph Garraty
Please note/Disclosure: I originally read and reviewed this book in July 2011 from a copy of the book sent to me by the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Book info: Genre: Horror
Reading level: Adult
Recommended for: people who enjoy being creeped out
Trigger Warning: It's horror. It's creepy, scary, violent.

My Thoughts: Joseph Garraty has written a horror novel that ranks right up there with the masters - “Voice” is amazingly creepy, full of the sorts of things that
Marvin
Jul 03, 2011 Marvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Rock and roll and horror should be a natural combination. Yet I can think of only a few authors who have the ability to blend the two worlds together; Skipp and Spector, David Schow and to a lesser extent, George R.R. Martin, S. P. Somtow, and Joe Hill. Less serious efforts has been made by schlockmaster musicians like Marilyn Manson and Alice Cooper whose shows are more of a kiddie spectacular with little real terror.

Enter new author Joseph Garraty. His debut novel Voice is a realistic blend o
April
Jul 31, 2011 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kick a*s, motherf*ckin rock n roll! Okay, sorry. Just finished reading Voice and am feeling all psyched and rammy now. With a blend of horror, rock and roll, no-holds-barred attitude and black evil, all rolled into one not-so-pretty package (well, okay, the cover is pretty awesome), Voice is a story that will entrap you within it's pages from start to finish. Just to give you an idea, here is a taste from the Prologue:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The voice that comes out is nothing like a human voice,
Mandy
Apr 28, 2012 Mandy rated it really liked it
Oh boy, don’t read this one when you’re home alone at night. Joseph Garraty has created a world of horror populated by a string of characters who have their own demons to deal with – they don’t need their lead singer to turn into the devil to complicate their lives further but that is exactly what they get.

Say hello to Ragman – John/Johnny, his brother Danny, Stephanie Case/Case and Quentin. The band has dreams of making it big; little did they know they would have to go through hell to get ther
Martyn Halm
Dec 31, 2012 Martyn Halm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this novel very much. From the prologue, that gets the chills going, the story plunges the characters in a downward spiral that is both inevitable and horrifying. The realism in the struggle of the musicians trying to carve out their own niche, getting into deep trouble by their ambition adds verisimilitude in a story that could've been ridiculous if it hadn't been so well-crafted.

I recommend this story to anyone who likes well-crafted horror stories set in the world of art and music.
Heavensent1
Oct 05, 2011 Heavensent1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Voice is a supernatural thriller.

John Tsiboukas has always dreamed of making the "big time". With a passion he gathers those around him who have the right look and the sound for his band, "Ragman". The only problem is that John really is not that great of a vocalist.

Danny is John's brother and the drummer of the band. He has been practicing his whole life for the moment he would make his dreams come true.

Quentin is the band's bass player and has been friends with John for over a year but he so
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Sometimes we stand at the crossroads at a point in our life wondering which direction we should take. We all want the very best in our lives and sometimes we often have to ask the question, just how far are you willing to go to get what you want?

John Tsiboukas has been trying to get his rock band, Ragman, to be all that he dreams it can be, even if some of those dreams turn into the most horrifying nightmares possible. The only problem with the band is that John can't sing. He's even managed to
Gef
Sep 12, 2011 Gef rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
If you could, would you strike a deal with the devil to achieve your greatest ambition? Sometimes when you look at a Hollywood A-lister, or a wheelin' dealin' politician, or one of those tycoons on Wall St., you have to wonder if maybe, just maybe, some signed their own names on the dotted line. In Joseph Garraty's debut novel, Voice, is an aspiring rock star named John Tsiboukas who gets his wish ... for a price.

Voice isn't just about John, who after gaining his voice adopts the persona of John
Melissa
Aug 08, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever hear the story about Robert Johnson? The legendary blues guitarist and singer in which a story that has become legend sold his soul to the devil to become the best in the world? Not only does this story reference that story but follows the beginnings of the legend. With the prologue we also know what is going to happen in the end, but even with these two known facts, it does not distract from the enjoyment of the book.

Johnny (formerly known as "John") wants fame and fortune and has chosen t
Heather Faville
Sep 12, 2011 Heather Faville rated it really liked it
I will have to admit that my initial thought on the concept of Voice was "oh great, another crossroads story, they are all the same" I was wrong. Joseph Garraty did a great job in bringing a new life to the old crossroads tale. The settings where just what you would expect to read about for an up and coming band. Ragman played in cramped rehearsal spaces, dive bars, crappy university halls and eventually the bigger and better venues.

The characters, in Voice, and their back stories were pretty we
Kim McNiel
Jul 23, 2011 Kim McNiel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. My review is on Webbweaver book reviews.
Frida Fantastic (book blogger)
(Cross-posted from Adarna SF)

Voice is a supernatural horror novel that follows a rock band from obscurity to fame, with bits of gore trailing the way. It’s terrifying, tragic, and freaking amazing.

It’s an absorbing and intense read from cover to cover. The musician who makes a pact with the devil at the crossroads is a well-known rock and roll myth, and the horror elements themselves aren’t unique, but Garraty’s delivery is pitch-perfect and will make your hair stand on end. The author masterful
Jill Elizabeth
Sep 27, 2011 Jill Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** A seriously creepy, deliciously dark, sinfully sharp whip-crack of a novel ***

------------------------------

AND you can enter to win a copy, courtesy of the author, on my blog at http://blog.jill-elizabeth.com/2011/0... - contest runs 9/27 through 10/11. Good luck!!

------------------------------

Voice, by Joseph Garraty, is the story of Johnny Tango (a.k.a. John Tsiboukas), troubled soul and lead singer of the band Ragman. And he owes thanks for both descriptors to the mysterious man he meets
Anagha
Dec 24, 2011 Anagha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: posted
Originally posted on my blog as part of a review event: http://book-spark.blogspot.com/

Sorry, my review was kind of all over the place today. It's not very well put together, I know:

I was hooked from the very beginning. It’s a gripping, creepy psychological thriller. Absolutely amazing! There is some language so if you are easily offended, I don’t recommend you pick up this book. Honestly, how many times will you drop the f-bomb, Joseph?

Characters: Stephanie Case (called Case) is my favorite cha
Soleil
Nov 23, 2011 Soleil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Narrative ‘voice’ is something Joseph Garraty has in spades , and his will grip you from page one, paragraph one, sentence one. I think it was the only thing that kept me reading because I? Am a huge scardey cat and Voice is creepy on an epic level.

Actually, that’s not entirely true. I kept reading because I became invested in the characters, another thing that I think Mr. Garraty has a real talent for-getting the reader invested. Get the reader to care, then put your characters through hell. Li
Joseph Garraty
May 23, 2011 Joseph Garraty rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I gave this five stars on account of I wrote it, and I think it's a pretty swell book. But it's got a rock band, a deal with the devil, a dirty double-cross, an illicit romance, and a load of freaky supernatural goings-on, so what's not to like?
Susan Gottfried
It's been so long now that I can't even remember how I came to pick up a copy of Joseph Garraty's Voice. I can see that I got it at Smashwords, where it was listed as free as of the night I finished the book and sat down to write this rave.

And rave I must. I simply adored this story of a man who sells … well, maybe not his soul and maybe not to the devil, but that's only the first of many riffs on the classic cliché. John does go down to the crossroads, but the trade he makes is great, unexpec
Donna
Aug 19, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it
We have all heard the urban legend about the blues player/guitarist that goes to the Crossroads and sells his soul for fame, money and success. But what if it wasnt an urban legend? That's what you find out in Voice.

John wants to be a rock singer but he has a voice that should be fronting an alternative band instead. He has a talented band behind him though and nothing can compare to the lead guitarist Case. When Case gets the stellar reviews John doesnt know what to do. When after another disap
Ali
Sep 16, 2013 Ali rated it really liked it
I had never heard of the author before and downloaded it on a whim as it sounded like my kinda thing, horror and rock n rock. It was a really good read. The characters are pretty stereotypical but for a good solid read with a standard forumula it ticked the boxes for me. That maybe doesnt sound like a very good review but the fact I wanted to know what happened to the characters and and completed the book is a good thing. Life is too short to read really bad book so these days if it doesnt grab ...more
Collette Caruso
Jun 30, 2016 Collette Caruso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kept the pages turning!

I don't usually write reviews, and I don't want to give any spoilers, but this has a great twist on the typical "guy sells his soul for fame" story. I couldn't stop reading....highly recommended. The story had a vibe that reminds me of "Horns" by Joe Hill, so if you liked that, you'll like this one!
Kiki
Apr 11, 2013 Kiki rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I expected to. I thought it would be a light, quick YA read, but it ended up being super dark. It seemed to be based on the concept of how quickly things can spiral out of control and that is what happened. It was a giant clusterf*ck of dreams, desires, and nightmares. I would recommend it. :)
Casondra Marie King
Crazy

Did not think I would get into this book but it kept me wondering what was going to happen next. Loved the characters you felt like you new them forever. I would definitely recommend this book.
SenoraG
SenoraG rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Basil
Basil rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2012
General Dicer
General Dicer rated it did not like it
Mar 10, 2015
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
May 27, 2011
Genevieve Tilley
Genevieve Tilley rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2013
Leonie
Leonie rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Supernatural Fict...: Voice by Joseph Garraty --Horror and rock and roll 6 23 Jan 19, 2015 10:44AM
  • Hallowed Ground
  • Shattered Wings
  • Dark Passage
  • The Music Mage (The Ravanmark Saga, #1)
  • Devil's Hand (Drawing Thin, #1)
  • Burden Kansas
  • Static
  • The Monster Within Idea
  • The Hunting Tree Trilogy (Books 1-3)
  • The Nightmare Within
  • No Story to Tell
  • NORTHMAN
  • Firebird (Apocalypto, #4)
  • Atticus for the Undead
  • Rock & Roll Rip-Off
  • The Uninvited
  • More Than Magic (Books of the Kindling, #1)
  • Mania
Joseph Garraty is an author of dark fantasy, horror, and science fiction. He has worked as a construction worker, rocket test engineer, environmental consultant, technical writer, and deadbeat musician. He lives in Dallas, Texas.
More about Joseph Garraty...

“His body walks out onto the darkened stage , and a roar goes up from the crowd. He stands in front of the mic, and he can feel his face twist in a sneer-the Elvis sneer from his dreams-though he never told it to move. He is powerless now, a spectator at his own moment of glory.” 2 likes