Start by marking “El cobrador” as Want to Read:
El cobrador

El cobrador

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Most widely admired for his short fiction, The Taker and Other Stories is Fonseca's first collection to appear in English translation, and it ranges across his oeuvre, exploring the sights and sounds of the modern landscape of Rio de Janeiro.

Rubem Fonseca's Rio is a city at war, a city whose vast disparities- in wealth, social standing, and prestige- are untenable. In the
Published 2010 by LaBreu edicions (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about El cobrador, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El cobrador

karen
i swear, i am the queen of four stars lately. does that mean i just have very good instincts for picking books or am i just lazily rating? i feel like i have to write reviews now to defend my fourstar worldview (that will be a band name within a year)

so

these stories are brutal and frequently unexpected (with one glaring exception, which reads like a really dated twilight zone episode) and sometimes incomprehensible - characters behave erratically and seemingly without motive. and yet, its actual
Estermann Meyer
"Fui até a jaula dos animais. Dentro de poucos anos não existiria mais nenhum, toda a fauna amazônica estava sendo dizimada. Quando me viu, a onça começou a brincar; corria e rolava de barriga para cima, como se fosse um gato. Outro animal muito bonito e elegante era a sussuarana, uma espécie de leopardo; seu pêlo lilás lavado brilhava na claridade matutina. Os macacos, porém, pareciam animais tristes, infelizes e maníacos. Havia um que escondia o rosto agarrado nas barras de ferro. Suas mãos er ...more
Cymru Roberts
Some authors show you disturbing images of murder and rape and horror with absolutely no remorse or mercy because... they are actually sensitive people. I hope I'm correct in putting Mr Fonseca in this category. There were sittings where I read three or four stories in a row and by the end I began to doubt it. With material such as this one reaches a certain point where the author is either enjoying himself, granting himself the powers to kill and rape in a fictive universe, or there is somethin ...more
Fernando
Um dos melhores e mais brutais livros de contos que li.
Rubem sabe o que diz sempre, e tem o tempo certo.
Matt
This is a strange little connection, with some really varied kinds of stories here-- I'd like to believe that's because it's not an organic collection but instead a group of stories from different points in Fonseca's career, slapped under one cover because they were all translated by the same guy. But I think I might be wrong about this-- they feel like three different kinds of stories, but I guess they do all belong together.

So what we get are shock-for-the-sake-of-it stories, the first trio he
David
I first came upon Fonseca in an anthology of international crime stories, a chilling little tale about a poor man who targets the rich not for their money, just to beat them at their own frivolous game. The title story of this macabre collection take that same theme and runs with it into some very disturbing territory indeed, with its poor serial killer who is sort of a downtrodden shadow image of Bret Easton Ellis’s American Psycho. The collection begins with a gut-wrenching short-short about a ...more
Ana
I suppose it might be a bit of a cliche to write that any given book is a tour de force of its' genre, but dammit if that doesn't fit the bill for this one.

I came upon it because of a now defunct blog project whereby I'd read a book by as many Camoes prize winning authors as I could in a month. That project didn't quite pan out, but I did finish this amazing little book.

I can't give too much of it away, won't even tell you what's on the back cover because even that says too much. In fact, if you
Carolina Lázare
"Aquel ser viejo me había sido impuesto por una sociedad corrompida y feroz, por un sistema inicuo que fuerza a millones de seres humanos a una vida parasitaria, marginal y miserable." Once de Mayo
Angel Ortiz
Amazing short stories with one of the most thrilling and cinematographic story i have ever read: Angels of the Marquees
Anaí Palacios
Tengo algo con Fonseca que no sé explicar.
Algo feo.
Lo leí en español, por supuesto.
Lucysnow1851
Brazilian writer Rubem Fonseca takes through a collection of short stories filled with characters that willfully commit crimes or stumble into them by accident. Impossible to pick a favorite, if I had to, I would chose "Trials of a Young Writer" as the pacing is frantic and I love how the characters think of themselves first in relationships. Most would be offended by the title story, but its descriptive quality even for brutal events made me want to read more.
Lauren
A bit disappointing. The stories are either pointless or predictable, though I did appreciate Fonseca's deadpan representation of anger and violence among the Brazilian poor. I don't think he's making any radical social observations when he portrays men as willful and unfeeling and women as needy. Another GoodReads reviewer of this book is correct to say that one story was even like a bad Twilight Zone episode. Ugh. The novel I read by him was far better.
Ferris
Rubem Fonseca is the South American Cormac McCarthy, or vice versa. This collection of short stories is stark, intensely disturbing, and so well written, even in translation. From the Type A exec who runs people down to relax to the man who experiences drowning while on an examining room table, each story reaches into the dark places of the human soul. Be prepared for quite a ride when you read this collection.
Andy
Amazing short stories from Brazil.

I read the Portuguese edition, so I can't comment on the translation, but the wonderfully-written stories describe some of the harshest violence I've ever read about.

Highly recommended.
Eduardo  Ferreira
fiquei absurdamente chocado quando li esse livro e então entendi que alguns livros devem servir exatamente para esse propósito. o cobrador cumpre fielmente esse papel.
Mónica
Rubem Fonseca me sigue sorprendiendo y sigue sacando ascos de las partes más profundas de mi ser. Sin embargo, me gustó más Ella y otras mujeres.
Nate
Odd stories. Violent, nihilistic. Read most of them, not all. Funny, but in that way that I have trouble perceiving in text. Was not blown away.
Greg
Nauseating. I get the joke but I don't think it's funny.
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Chad Felix
Chad Felix marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
A Cubierta
A Cubierta marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Rebeca
Rebeca marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Gαвyls
Gαвyls marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Ovidio Amoedo
Ovidio Amoedo marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
  • The Sailor from Gibraltar
  • The Inquisitors' Manual
  • Monsieur
  • Death in Spring
  • A Máquina de Joseph Walser (O Reino, #2)
  • Angústia
  • Children in Reindeer Woods
  • Viva O Povo Brasileiro
  • Family Ties
  • Thrown into Nature
He is an important Brazilian writer (novelist, short story writer and screenwriter), born in Juiz de Fora, state of Minas Gerais, but he lived for most of his life in Rio de Janeiro. In 1952, he started his career in the police and became a policy commissioner. Even though, he refuses to do interviews and is a very reclusive person, much like Thomas Pynchon, who is a personal friend of Fonseca.
His
More about Rubem Fonseca...
Agosto Feliz Ano Novo Vastas Emoções E Pensamentos Imperfeitos Bufo Und Spallanzani O Seminarista