Start by marking “Hill of Bones (The Medieval Murderers, #7)” as Want to Read:
Hill of Bones  (The Medieval Murderers, #7)

Hill of Bones (The Medieval Murderers #7)

Bath Abbey, 1199. The monks' peaceful existence is turned upside down when the Abbey's unpopular prior is found dead on Solsbury Hill. But when Sir Symon Cole and his wife, Gwenllian, arrive to investigate, they soon discover hear whisperings that prior has met with divine punishment.

For it is said that on Solsbury Hill, only those who are pure in heart can survive a night
Published July 7th 2011 by Simon Schuster UK (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hill of Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hill of Bones

Bettie☯
Opening: Geraint watched the lizard basking in the sun on the tiled floor.

#21 TBR Busting 2013

Had rather run out of steam on this series but lo! and behold Maitland writes a segment, and I can't let that go unsavoured...

They keep running up that hill!

Prologue by Philip Gooden - excellent Arthurian episode
Act 1 Bath Abbey September 1199: Susan Gregory - for such a usually entertaining author, this was strangely lacklustre.
Act 2 September 1204: Bernard Knight - A missing pyx is at the centre of
Kevin Farrell
Mar 05, 2012 Kevin Farrell rated it really liked it
Nice book that gets a solid, solid, solid 4 stars. This is a collection of stories, each written by a different author known collectively as The Medieval Murderers. I was attracted when I noticed that Karen Maitland is one of them. I have been a fan of hers for a while and loved Company of Liars.

Each story in the book occurs in the same area of Bath and specifically involves a nearby feature known as Solisbury Hill since Roman times. Although some characters appear in more than one story, each s
Kathy Dolan
May 22, 2016 Kathy Dolan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book, crime
Loved the way all the stories fitted together but were so different. A real celebration of the art of storytelling.
Michael Craig
Feb 20, 2017 Michael Craig rated it really liked it
Hill of Bones is the first book in the Medieval Murderers' series that I have read. I thought it was a clever concept to have a number of interlinked stories by different authors set chronologically throughout the centuries. Each was independent but had a common theme and background set in the area of Solsbury Hill near Bath. Each author with his or her different style held my interest and they covered different periods of history giving us a flavour of each. I enjoyed it and will read more in t ...more
Alison C
Mar 04, 2015 Alison C rated it really liked it
Another entry in the series of related stories told by some of Britian's best-known historical mystery writers, Hill of Bones contains tales by Karen Maitland, Susanna Gregory, Bernard Knight, Philip Gooden and Ian Morson. The premise of these books is to take a particular item and follow it through time, specifically through the Middle Ages, with a preface setting up the article to be followed and a brief coda bringing the item into the 21st Century. Hill of Bones is slightly different in that ...more
Jo Barton
May 24, 2014 Jo Barton rated it really liked it
This was my first foray into the world of the Medieval Murderers and I must say that I found their style of story telling very much to my liking. The intertwining narratives , told in very different voices by different writers, blend together really nicely, so much so, you forget that the book is written by five different authors.

I'm pleased to learn that I have a goodly back catalogue to go at and will most certainly be in the company of The Medieval Murderers again before too long.

Oh yes ...an
Lana Sims
Jan 11, 2013 Lana Sims rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Like most multi-author collections, some portions are better than others, but overall, some wonderful historical short stories (or novellas) combined around the theme of a location marked by multiple murders. The final segment does a good job of wrapping up this collection. I have read multiple Medieval Murders mysteries, and this is very much in the same vein, although I was disappointed by the absence of Michael Jeck in this collection.
Doug
Jan 21, 2012 Doug rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I hadn't realized there was such a big group of people doing medieval murder mysteries. Any any rate, a host of those authors have combined to create this book (and others) authored as 'the medieval murders'. I liked the idea, I thought it was OK, but I don't think i'm all that excited to go read others in this series.
Thomas S
Jul 23, 2012 Thomas S rated it liked it
Recently read this one along with "The Tainted Relic". One of many work sby the Medieval Murderers, a group of English mystery writers who package a set of murder novellas over different periods of time around a central object -- in this case a hill outisde Bath that was the scene of a great battle between the Celts and the Saxons.
Carmen
May 03, 2012 Carmen rated it liked it
This ended up being a series of stories which had the same setting, spanning 600 years. I didn't find it that interesting, because the characters is what I find the most interesting. Each story esentially became a short story, and I prefer longer more involved stories.
Ruth
Jun 04, 2015 Ruth rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-historical
This is a much better collection of stories than the last book I read by the Medieval Murderers. There seemed to be a lot more humour although perhaps the link between the stories was a little less strong than in previous books. Recommended to the normal crew.
Liz
Dec 17, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it
Good fun. Perfect summer read
Laurie
Jun 06, 2014 Laurie rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the format of short stories that intertwine and cover great distances of history. Definitely going to be reading the other books in the series.
Irishmaddoc
Jan 07, 2015 Irishmaddoc rated it did not like it
Didn't finish it. It's a series of short stories linked by a location. Not what I was looking for and didn't really enjoy it.
Vikas Datta
Apr 01, 2015 Vikas Datta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compelling - but only in parts, like the curate's egg but creates at atmosphere very well...
Philippa Sevigny
This one interests me to see how they deal with pre-Georgian Bath. There's more to the city than crescents and circuses.
Moonyeen Blakey
Mar 12, 2013 Moonyeen Blakey rated it it was ok
I love mediaeval history, so I began this book with enthusiasm. I enjoyed the start but gradually my interest waned. Some chapters gripped but others were too plodding and one sent me to sleep!
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Ciobair
Ciobair rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2012
Charles
Charles rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2013
Marcella
Marcella rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2014
Karla Thomas
Karla Thomas rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2012
Sonny
Sonny rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2014
Becky Almon
Becky Almon rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Susan Meyer
Susan Meyer rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2017
Del
Del rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Valerie Cox
Valerie Cox rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Inez
Inez rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Traitor's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #16)
  • The Darkening Glass (Mathilde of Westminster, #3)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • Crowner Royal (Crowner John Mystery, #13)

The Medieval Murderers (10 books)
  • The Tainted Relic: An Historical Mystery (The Medieval Murderers, #1)
  • The Sword of Shame (The Medieval Murderers, #2)
  • House of Shadows (The Medieval Murderers, #3)
  • The Lost Prophecies (The Medieval Murderers, #4)
  • King Arthur's Bones (The Medieval Murderers, #5)
  • The Sacred Stone (The Medieval Murderers, #6)
  • The First Murder  (The Medieval Murderers, #8)
  • The False Virgin (The Medieval Murderers #9)
  • The Deadliest Sin (The Medieval Murderers, #10)