Key Out of Time (Time Traders / Ross Murdock #4)

Key Out of Time (Time Traders / Ross Murdock #4)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  733 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Key Out of Time -- the fourth book in the Time Traders series, following The Time Traders, Galactic Derelict, and The Defiant Agents -- again features Ross Murdock as the hero. Accompanying a group of settlers to the now-empty water-planet Hawaika, he is sent back in time through a Time Gate . . . and must learn to survive ten thousand years in the past!
Published November 2nd 2006 by Wildside Press (first published 1963)

Fantasy Literature
Key Out of Time is the fourth book in Andre Norton’s TIME TRADERS series. Ross Murdock is once again the hero (he was not present in the previous book). This time he’s on the planet Hawaika which is being settled by the United States. Ross is accompanied by Gordon Ashe and, because this planet has a lot of ocean, Karara, a Polynesian girl who has telepathic dolphin companions.

When Hawaika turns out to be different from what they expected, Ross, Ashe and Karara begin to investigate. What happened...more
Kat  Hooper
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...

When Hawaika turns out to be different f...more
Rollie Reid
This is another of the Time Agent novels, that includes Ashe Gordon and Ross Murdock. In this one, they are on a distant planet and use the time machine to try to learn some of the history of the planet. When things go wrong, they get involved in that history.

I won't go into greater detail for fear of giving away the plot. This is a good book in an older style of Science Fiction, and it is much like the Science Fiction I cut my teeth on, 40 years ago. You must understand that this was not the mo...more
Chuck
Andre Norton (born Mary Alice Norton, but legally changed her to increase her publication chances) was probably the first SF writer I ever read. Her novel Star Born fired my imagination, and I read not only her book but any other book that appeared on the library shelf near her indiscriminately. I cannot say Key Out of Time is her best work, but I must acknowledge that she is one of the authors who made a reader out of me.

Key Out of Time is one of those SF novels that don't get written anymore--...more
Julie Davis
The third of the Time Traders series (although I have seen references to Galactic Derelict which I haven't been able to locate ... and that actually may be the second in the series).

This one I remember as being a continual favorite in my high school years and it is a pleasure to find that I am enjoying it again, having forgotten just enough to make the story seem fairly new.

Investigating the mysteriously abandoned Hawaika, Ross Murdoch and his team are inadvertently swept through the underwater...more
Valerie
To summarize what we know about the 'Baldies':

(1) They seem to've been few in number, even at the height of their civilization. Either that, or not many of them came to our sector. Not more than 100 are ever seen.

(2) They're presented as inscrutably hostile. No credible motive is ever imputed to them.

(3) All of them seem to be male, and they may be clones.

(4) They seem to have no conception of other intelligent life, although in the Time Traders there's evidence of at least one other species com...more
Dean Sault
Key Out of Time is the fourth book in the Time Traders series. It follows Ross Murdock as he and Gordon Ashe go into the past to discover what happened to an ancient civilization that vanished abruptly. They become swept up into a vast galactic war among aliens that ultimately destroyed the planet.

This is my favorite of Andre Norton's time travel series. The main characters are forced to survive against threats far more potent than their meager Earth technology could defeat. But, a Polynesian gi...more
Steven
Great book, Great series. Each book takes place in a completely different time and planet. She also introduces new cultures and characters while keeping a few for continuity.
James
Key Out of Time, book #4 of the Time Traders series, follows maverick Time Agent Ross Murdock to Hawaika, an aquatic world. Exploring Hawaika in the present day, Ross, Ashe, and Karara and her dolphins are sucked through the time gate during a storm and find themselves in an ancient culture that is a mix of Viking-like sea raiders, Dark Age land-based Wreckers, and the mystic Foanna, witches. Ross and company must united these three clashing cultures and repel the Baldies or all will perish, as...more
Freadizt
Story out of nothing.
Ann aka Iftcan
This is the 4th book in the Time Traders series. In it Ross and Gordon, along with a pair of dolphins and a girl of Polynesian descent travel to another world to see if they can find out what happened to the civilization that had existed on it in the past, but that mysteriously disappeared.

While preparing their Time Gate, an accident happens and the 5 are thrown back into the past.

There they run into old enemies and new friends.

A good yarn and very enjoyable story.
Thorn
slow. not enough of anything. i did like the ending. norton expended a lot of writerly energy in her 'scenery and costume design', all of which were quite richly described.

this is the first of norton's books that i've read, despite having seen them on my local library's shelf for years and years and years when i was growing up. i even checked out one or two, but never got around to reading them. i'll read a few more, to be sure, 'just to see'.
Jenne
Oh my god this was boring. It was like a kid playing with action figures. "ok this guy and this guy are on the palm tree planet! And Aqua Girl is here! Splash! With her dolphin friends! And they go back in time! Zoom! And the bad guys take them prisoner! But then he fights the one bad guy and they like him! And then BWOMM the aliens come! And they fight the aliens and the aliens all die!!"
Keith
A readable entertaining novel I read in the 1960's. American agents (Ross & Gordon) venture to a ruined planet. It is mainly covered by an ocean. Polynesian colonists are already there. Karara, a leader, can communicate with dolphins.
Time viewing, a lost civilization, a storm and its aftermath and interfering aliens (Baldies) make for a good science fiction tale.
Wilson E. Stevens Sr.
The basic plot description is good enough with out me adding any thing to it. Read it when it first came out as I am a big fan of Andre Norton, and purchased and read everything that she wrote when it came out. Now that they are in eBook format, I am reading them again. Purchased from Amazon as part of twelve books for $1.99. Well worth the money.
B. Zedan
Sep 09, 2008 B. Zedan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks who'd like another entry in Norton's time-tripping line
I'm pretty meh about dolphins, but they do a nice job of being the telepath-link animals used in this entry of Norton's galaxy-colonising, timetravelly, trying not to be noticed by angry aliens we stole tech from sorta series.

Also, there are witches and whoopsie-doo we done went back in time, shit about the history just tryin' to survive.
Baron Greystone
Nostalgic fun by an old master of the genre. I didn't remember this one at all, so it was even more enjoyable. Ending was kind of abrupt, without resolution, so there may be another novel that picks up right where this one left off.
Interesting female characters. No romance in the story at all, which would be highly unlikely today.
Tomislav
Our recurring hero, Ross Murdock, meets a beautiful neo-Hawaiian girl in the past, who swims with telepathic dolphins to defeat the bad guys. The end.
Jon Nichols
Definitely one of the most confusing books of the series. The magic and strange ancient worlds are a little harder to imagine than the more futuristic weapons and tech. Made for a much slower read than the rest of the series so far.
Suzanna
I downloaded a few free Kindle books by Andre Norton, and while I enjoyed the first Time Traders book as a quick read, I found this one tedious. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for man-of-action SF right now.
Lindsay
An interesting book, which looked at the intersections of multiple intergalactic races all at once, giving a slightly different perspective from many books.
John
Part of a series. Lots of Red Menace (Russians, not Obama) only on another world. Apaches and Huns save the day. Many references to Arizona Apache life.
Sharon
for a free ebook a good story not too out of date for science fiction.
Joseph
Jun 28, 2007 Joseph added it
Classic swashbuckling adventure science fiction. People of all ages love it.
Daniel Carruth
Not as enjoyable as the previous books in the series.
Robin Lynne Rogers
love it!! andre norton did her usual wonderful job!!
Rob Roy
Old fashioned SiFi, but a darn good read
bluetyson
Key Out Of Time by Andre Norton (2000)
Brett
Jun 21, 2009 Brett added it
Science Fiction
Randy
Aug 04, 2008 Randy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: SF fans
Time traders
  • The Colors of Space
  • The Skylark of Space (Skylark #1)
  • The Cosmic Computer (aka Junkyard Planet)
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • The Monster Men
  • Decision at Doona (Doona, #1)
  • The Warlock Enraged (Warlock Series, #4)
  • The Earth Book of Stormgate
  • The Book of Ptath
  • Strange Attractors (The Chaos Chronicles, #2)
  • Islands in the Sky
  • Mission to Moulokin (Icerigger, #2)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male"...more
More about Andre Norton...
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)