Start by marking “Voodoo Planet” as Want to Read:
Voodoo Planet

Voodoo Planet (Solar Queen #3)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  422 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Voodoo Planet features Dane Thorson, a young man fortunate enough to land a job on the Free Trader ship, the "Solar Queen." Plying their trade among the stars, Free Traders visit planets--known and unknown--in search of profit. (Another novel featuring Dane Thorson, Plague Ship, is also available from Wildside Press.) In Voodoo Planet, the Captain Gaelic and the ship's med ...more
Hardcover
Published April 1st 2007 by Wildside Press (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Voodoo Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voodoo Planet

Наталья
3.5

К сожалению, в этой истории не было ни космических приключений, ни необычной торговли. Только далекая планета, необычные животные, местные колдуны и экипаж "Королевы Солнца", пытающийся выжить в борьбе с упомянутыми животными и колдунами.

Было интересно, но хорошо, что новелла. Прочиталась быстро.
Evgeny
This is a strange mix of science fiction and fantasy. A crew of a trader spaceship ended up on a planet where voodoo magic works and bad people are using it for their nefarious purposes. The ship's doctor happened to be fairly proficient in voodoo as well (while being a good guy). He might be able to save his crew as well as their host on the planet from bad guys who are really ingenuous in their attempts to remove people who happen to be in their path.

This book made me realize I am not a big f
Perry Whitford
The crew of the spaceship Solar Destiny, Free Traders under Captain Jellico, are approached by a ranger from a neighboring planet for aid. His people have become enthralled by a mighty magician named Lumbrilo.

The crew's physician, Medic Tau, is thought to be a magician too, though it would be more accurate to say that he understands the tricks that can look like magic to the uninitiated. The crew agree to help.

This planet, Khatka, was settled by escaped African prisoners a few hundred years ago
Marts  (Thinker)
A sequal to Norton's 'Plague Ship'. It is a good idea to read this first to get familier with the characters.

Here we meet the space trader 'Solar Queen' and her crew once again, with the likes of Dane, Tau, Jellico and others. Now in 'Plague Ship', after a visit and trade with Sargol the ship is overcome by some strange plague, but, at the end the reader realised that this of course just wasn't so.

Well, the crew gets banned from trade and starts a two-year stint as a mail carrier, they end up
Jurgen Graanoogst
Though i have read many fictional books, i never had the change to read the short stories of this collection. But i'm glad i did. Voodoo Planet was definitely entertaining. The wealthy offworlders with their planetary ways and the human behaviors that mingle to survive. Exiting and funny at the same time. IT left the reading wanting more. Pitty it was so short.
Andrew
freely available as a ebook from manybooks ,project Gutenberg and the like this is a short fairly enjoyable space opera tale in the vein of star trek,lost in space and the like.
it many ways it's merely a tale of poachers and witch doctor ritual set in space but as a bit of late night reading after a heavy day it has its place.
the pace is fast and engaging enough to provide a fast read and it was a reintroduction into my life of the kind of pulp sci fi fiction I used to consume as a youngster and
Shawn Camp
A blending of fantasy and science fiction that just left me feeling like I was watching an old episode of Star Trek where they all transported to a fantasy world where everything gets strange from there.
Jetamors
Given that it's a book about a witch doctor written by a white woman in 1955, it was less racist than I expected.
Helen Bassett
nice follow up to Plague Ship. Dane is coming along with learning his position and the Dr is very talented.
Freadizt StupiT
"Civilized men in a wild land," under thin space fiction & ragged fantasy.
John
1981 grade B+
2011 grade B+

Short Novel (In Star Hunter book)

Becky
I love life on the Solar Queen, and I was happy to revisit them. I like that Dane, while the main character, isn't necessarily the hero or the captain. He is just some cabin boy that is taken along on the crews' adventures. Its refreshing.

I love in vintage scifi how science and magic mix all willy-nilly, especially in Norton's works. Norton seems to really enjoy experimenting with future humans reactions to different native environments, folkloric traditions, and really "primitive" things.

The au
Libbet
Librivox version: http://librivox.org/voodoo-planet-by-...
Ok. Definitely showing its age a bit. I find it interesting that in both of her books I've listened to so far, there have been literally no women characters, right down to the cat. My first introduction to her was via the Elvenbane etc collaborations with Misty Lackey, and I'm wondering if the female characters were mostly due to Misty, or if I just need to select other Norton books.
Luvs2read
Fun continuation of the Dane Thorson/Solar Queen series. Dane, the ship's medic, and captain visit a planet colonized by Earth Africans. They're taken on "safari" and get caught up in planet politics. Good action/adventure.
B. Zedan
Jul 22, 2008 B. Zedan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Folks who like the voodoo, crazy future style
More of the traders on the Solar Queen. There is a voodoo magic showdown at the end of this one, yay! I guess originally published with Star Hunter, because that's how people get novellas published.
Craig Brown
I listened to this as an audio book. I enjoyed it and it killed 3 hours but that was about it. Sometimes the answer was a little obvious. The whole witch doctor thing did very little for me.
Lee
This was a pointless story, and there was no point in finishing. What can you expect from a book about the "hypnotic witchcraft of the mental wizard that ruled the "Voodoo Planet."
Clayton Yuen
Another short and sweet historic scifi story, it was written in an old style of flowery literary exposition Loved them when I was a kid . . . and like them as an adult!
Rob Roy
A short, but action packed story of another world, where magic works. Far from a great book, but a nice read
Keith
An alien adventure in an "African" type environment. A good 1960's novel. I don't see the one I read.
Mike
Quick, more fantasy than science-y for the usually firm-science Solar Queen adventure.
Bigal-sa
This one was a bit too over the top for me - not at all like her other stuff.
Lindsay
Light sci-fi with some interesting ideas.
Libromaniac
Thorson saves the day again.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
  • The Colors of Space
  • Four Day Planet
  • The Sky Is Falling
  • Dinosaur Planet Survivors (Dinosaur Planet, #2)
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • Triplet
  • Spacehounds of IPC
  • The Black Star Passes
  • The Rebirth (Cyteen, #2)
  • Illegal Aliens
  • Лабиринт отражений. Фальшивые зеркала. Прозрачные витражи (Лабиринт отражений #1-3)
  • The Syndic
  • Maska
  • Selected from Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed
  • Deathworld 1
  • Fey.
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Solar Queen (7 books)
  • Sargasso Of Space (Solar Queen, #1)
  • Plague Ship (Solar Queen, #2)
  • Postmarked the Stars (Solar Queen, #4)
  • Redline The Stars (Solar Queen, #5)
  • Derelict for Trade (Solar Queen, #6)
  • A Mind for Trade (Solar Queen, #7)
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)