Voodoo Planet (Solar Queen, #3)

Voodoo Planet (Solar Queen #3)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  354 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Dane Thorson of the space-trader Solar Queen found himself embroiled in a desperate battle of minds between the rational science of the spaceways and the hypnotic witchcraft of the mental wizard that ruled the "Voodoo Planet."
Published November 1st 2006 by Aegypan (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Voodoo Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voodoo Planet

Evgeny
This is a strange mix of science fiction and fantasy. A crew of a trader spaceship ended up on a planet where voodoo magic works and bad people are using it for their nefarious purposes. The ship's doctor happened to be fairly proficient in voodoo as well (while being a good guy). He might be able to save his crew as well as their host on the planet from bad guys who are really ingenuous in their attempts to remove people who happen to be in their path.

This book made me realize I am not a big f...more
Marts  (Thinker)
A sequal to Norton's 'Plague Ship'. It is a good idea to read this first to get familier with the characters.

Here we meet the space trader 'Solar Queen' and her crew once again, with the likes of Dane, Tau, Jellico and others. Now in 'Plague Ship', after a visit and trade with Sargol the ship is overcome by some strange plague, but, at the end the reader realised that this of course just wasn't so.

Well, the crew gets banned from trade and starts a two-year stint as a mail carrier, they end up...more
Andrew
freely available as a ebook from manybooks ,project Gutenberg and the like this is a short fairly enjoyable space opera tale in the vein of star trek,lost in space and the like.
it many ways it's merely a tale of poachers and witch doctor ritual set in space but as a bit of late night reading after a heavy day it has its place.
the pace is fast and engaging enough to provide a fast read and it was a reintroduction into my life of the kind of pulp sci fi fiction I used to consume as a youngster and...more
Shawn Camp
A blending of fantasy and science fiction that just left me feeling like I was watching an old episode of Star Trek where they all transported to a fantasy world where everything gets strange from there.
Freadizt
"Civilized men in a wild land," under thin space fiction & ragged fantasy.
Becky
I love life on the Solar Queen, and I was happy to revisit them. I like that Dane, while the main character, isn't necessarily the hero or the captain. He is just some cabin boy that is taken along on the crews' adventures. Its refreshing.

I love in vintage scifi how science and magic mix all willy-nilly, especially in Norton's works. Norton seems to really enjoy experimenting with future humans reactions to different native environments, folkloric traditions, and really "primitive" things.

The au...more
Libbet
Librivox version: http://librivox.org/voodoo-planet-by-...
Ok. Definitely showing its age a bit. I find it interesting that in both of her books I've listened to so far, there have been literally no women characters, right down to the cat. My first introduction to her was via the Elvenbane etc collaborations with Misty Lackey, and I'm wondering if the female characters were mostly due to Misty, or if I just need to select other Norton books.
Luvs2read
Fun continuation of the Dane Thorson/Solar Queen series. Dane, the ship's medic, and captain visit a planet colonized by Earth Africans. They're taken on "safari" and get caught up in planet politics. Good action/adventure.
B. Zedan
Jul 22, 2008 B. Zedan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks who like the voodoo, crazy future style
More of the traders on the Solar Queen. There is a voodoo magic showdown at the end of this one, yay! I guess originally published with Star Hunter, because that's how people get novellas published.
Craig Brown
I listened to this as an audio book. I enjoyed it and it killed 3 hours but that was about it. Sometimes the answer was a little obvious. The whole witch doctor thing did very little for me.
Clayton Yuen
Another short and sweet historic scifi story, it was written in an old style of flowery literary exposition Loved them when I was a kid . . . and like them as an adult!
Rob Roy
A short, but action packed story of another world, where magic works. Far from a great book, but a nice read
Keith
An alien adventure in an "African" type environment. A good 1960's novel. I don't see the one I read.
Mike
Quick, more fantasy than science-y for the usually firm-science Solar Queen adventure.
Bigal-sa
This one was a bit too over the top for me - not at all like her other stuff.
Lindsay
Light sci-fi with some interesting ideas.
Libromaniac
Thorson saves the day again.
Richard Mills
Richard Mills marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Jayna
Jayna marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Den
Den marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Alan Stebbens
Alan Stebbens marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Rob Bekkers
Rob Bekkers marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
  • The Colors of Space
  • Four Day Planet
  • Mr. Spaceship
  • Triplet
  • Dinosaur Planet Survivors (Dinosaur Planet, #2)
  • The Second Jungle Book
  • Hunter of Worlds (Hanan Rebellion, #2)
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • Re:union
  • This Crowded Earth
  • Red Nails
  • The Door Into Shadow (Tale of the Five, # 2)
  • TNT: Telzey Amberdon & Trigger Argee Together
  • The Gods of Pegana
  • The Eslites (The Eslite Chronicles, #0.5)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male"...more
More about Andre Norton...
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)