Start by marking “Voodoo Planet (Solar Queen, #3)” as Want to Read:
Voodoo Planet (Solar Queen, #3)

Voodoo Planet (Solar Queen #3)

The story is described as a "duel of the cosmic magicians." It involves two witch doctors who conjure up ghosts and demons against each other and might appear to be fantasy. But Norton bases the wizards' magic on the use of mildly hallucinogenic drugs, psychological manipulation and latent telepathy, which place the story within the realm of science fiction.
Published November 1st 2006 by Aegypan (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Voodoo Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voodoo Planet

Наталья
3.5

К сожалению, в этой истории не было ни космических приключений, ни необычной торговли. Только далекая планета, необычные животные, местные колдуны и экипаж "Королевы Солнца", пытающийся выжить в борьбе с упомянутыми животными и колдунами.

Было интересно, но хорошо, что новелла. Прочиталась быстро.
Evgeny
Nov 08, 2012 Evgeny rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
This is a strange mix of science fiction and fantasy. A crew of a trader spaceship ended up on a planet where voodoo magic works and bad people are using it for their nefarious purposes. The ship's doctor happened to be fairly proficient in voodoo as well (while being a good guy). He might be able to save his crew as well as their host on the planet from bad guys who are really ingenuous in their attempts to remove people who happen to be in their path.

This book made me realize I am not a big f
Timothy Boyd
Nov 06, 2015 Timothy Boyd rated it liked it
Good classic SiFi story my one of the masters of the Genre. Recommended
Perry Whitford
The crew of the spaceship Solar Destiny, Free Traders under Captain Jellico, are approached by a ranger from a neighboring planet for aid. His people have become enthralled by a mighty magician named Lumbrilo.

The crew's physician, Medic Tau, is thought to be a magician too, though it would be more accurate to say that he understands the tricks that can look like magic to the uninitiated. The crew agree to help.

This planet, Khatka, was settled by escaped African prisoners a few hundred years ago
Marts  (Thinker)
Sep 05, 2010 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A sequal to Norton's 'Plague Ship'. It is a good idea to read this first to get familier with the characters.

Here we meet the space trader 'Solar Queen' and her crew once again, with the likes of Dane, Tau, Jellico and others. Now in 'Plague Ship', after a visit and trade with Sargol the ship is overcome by some strange plague, but, at the end the reader realised that this of course just wasn't so.

Well, the crew gets banned from trade and starts a two-year stint as a mail carrier, they end up
Andrew
Dec 01, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
freely available as a ebook from manybooks ,project Gutenberg and the like this is a short fairly enjoyable space opera tale in the vein of star trek,lost in space and the like.
it many ways it's merely a tale of poachers and witch doctor ritual set in space but as a bit of late night reading after a heavy day it has its place.
the pace is fast and engaging enough to provide a fast read and it was a reintroduction into my life of the kind of pulp sci fi fiction I used to consume as a youngster and
Becky
Nov 28, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
I love life on the Solar Queen, and I was happy to revisit them. I like that Dane, while the main character, isn't necessarily the hero or the captain. He is just some cabin boy that is taken along on the crews' adventures. Its refreshing.

I love in vintage scifi how science and magic mix all willy-nilly, especially in Norton's works. Norton seems to really enjoy experimenting with future humans reactions to different native environments, folkloric traditions, and really "primitive" things.

The au
Lissa Notreallywolf
May 01, 2016 Lissa Notreallywolf rated it really liked it
Audio books are always hard to judge. and Andre Norton is a master at the suggestive narrative. Half the time I think she's described something and then I find that she's simply made my imagination step into the spaces, an invitation only. I have started a retrospective reading to find out just how she accomplishes this feat. Voodoo Planet might be harshly critiqued for racism. but it's intent was far from anything racist. I enjoyed reading this vintage bit of SciFi.
Libbet
Jul 23, 2012 Libbet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, audiobooks
Librivox version: http://librivox.org/voodoo-planet-by-...
Ok. Definitely showing its age a bit. I find it interesting that in both of her books I've listened to so far, there have been literally no women characters, right down to the cat. My first introduction to her was via the Elvenbane etc collaborations with Misty Lackey, and I'm wondering if the female characters were mostly due to Misty, or if I just need to select other Norton books.
Slinkyboy
Jan 22, 2016 Slinkyboy rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
"Dane guessed that Lumbrilo sent now against the Terran the harvest of the medic's own memories. He shut his eyes against this enforced intrusion upon another's past, but not before he saw Tau's face, strained, fined to the well-shaped bones beneath the thin flesh, holding still a twisted smile as he met each memory, accepted the pain it held for him, and set it aside unshaken."
Jurgen Graanoogst
May 27, 2015 Jurgen Graanoogst rated it liked it
Though i have read many fictional books, i never had the change to read the short stories of this collection. But i'm glad i did. Voodoo Planet was definitely entertaining. The wealthy offworlders with their planetary ways and the human behaviors that mingle to survive. Exiting and funny at the same time. IT left the reading wanting more. Pitty it was so short.
B. Zedan
Jul 22, 2008 B. Zedan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks who like the voodoo, crazy future style
More of the traders on the Solar Queen. There is a voodoo magic showdown at the end of this one, yay! I guess originally published with Star Hunter, because that's how people get novellas published.
Glen
Jan 23, 2016 Glen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It as a stand alone book, is just okay. When you add it in to the Solar Queen adventures, it gets a little better. It does read quickly, but it will not be an earth shaking experience since it doesn't develop the story due to length.
Shawn Camp
A blending of fantasy and science fiction that just left me feeling like I was watching an old episode of Star Trek where they all transported to a fantasy world where everything gets strange from there.
Luvs2read
Nov 23, 2008 Luvs2read rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Fun continuation of the Dane Thorson/Solar Queen series. Dane, the ship's medic, and captain visit a planet colonized by Earth Africans. They're taken on "safari" and get caught up in planet politics. Good action/adventure.
Helen Bassett
Jan 20, 2015 Helen Bassett rated it liked it
nice follow up to Plague Ship. Dane is coming along with learning his position and the Dr is very talented.
Lindsay
Nov 29, 2010 Lindsay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, kindle, z2011
Light sci-fi with some interesting ideas.
Keith
Jan 02, 2013 Keith rated it really liked it
An alien adventure in an "African" type environment. A good 1960's novel. I don't see the one I read.
Lee
Feb 05, 2015 Lee rated it did not like it
Shelves: sf-fantasy, fantasy
This was a pointless story, and there was no point in finishing. What can you expect from a book about the "hypnotic witchcraft of the mental wizard that ruled the "Voodoo Planet."
Garry
Oct 09, 2015 Garry rated it it was ok
10/10/2015
Libromaniac
Thorson saves the day again.
Craig Brown
Jul 29, 2011 Craig Brown rated it it was ok
I listened to this as an audio book. I enjoyed it and it killed 3 hours but that was about it. Sometimes the answer was a little obvious. The whole witch doctor thing did very little for me.
Bryan Cebulski
Awesome conceptually, but mostly boring.
John
Mar 08, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
1981 grade B+
2011 grade B+

Short Novel (In Star Hunter book)

Mike
Mar 12, 2011 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: completed-series
Quick, more fantasy than science-y for the usually firm-science Solar Queen adventure.
Jetamors
Mar 27, 2015 Jetamors rated it liked it
Given that it's a book about a witch doctor written by a white woman in 1955, it was less racist than I expected.
Clayton Yuen
Apr 21, 2011 Clayton Yuen rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
Another short and sweet historic scifi story, it was written in an old style of flowery literary exposition Loved them when I was a kid . . . and like them as an adult!
Rob Roy
Jun 14, 2011 Rob Roy rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A short, but action packed story of another world, where magic works. Far from a great book, but a nice read
Edwin Downward
Sep 19, 2016 Edwin Downward rated it really liked it
A wonderful example of the kind of early Andre Norton that expired me as both a reader and a writer.
Al Lock
Dec 11, 2016 Al Lock rated it really liked it
Norton can take the most ridiculous premise and make it work.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #19 "Voodoo Planet" by Andre Norton 1 4 Feb 24, 2013 09:34AM
  • Badge of Infamy
  • Invaders from the Infinite
  • The Colors of Space
  • Four Day Planet
  • The Night of the Long Knives
  • Dinosaur Planet Survivors (Dinosaur Planet, #2)
  • Illegal Aliens
  • Spacehounds of IPC
  • The Rebirth (Cyteen, #2)
  • Triplet
  • Eternity's End (Star Rigger, #5)
  • Лабиринт отражений. Фальшивые зеркала. Прозрачные витражи (Лабиринт отражений #1-3)
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • Steel Walls and Dirt Drops
  • Deathworld 1
  • Selected from Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Solar Queen (7 books)
  • Sargasso Of Space (Solar Queen, #1)
  • Plague Ship (Solar Queen, #2)
  • Postmarked the Stars (Solar Queen, #4)
  • Redline The Stars (Solar Queen, #5)
  • Derelict for Trade (Solar Queen, #6)
  • A Mind for Trade (Solar Queen, #7)