Start by marking “Wraiths of Time” as Want to Read:
Wraiths of Time

Wraiths of Time

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  9 reviews
"Science fiction at its best" (Portland Oregonian) from the author of Gryphon's Eyrie. When she tries to prevent the theft of a mysterious black box containing an Egyptian ankh, Tally Mitford is unexpectedly hurled back in time to the kingdom of Meroe, a nation threatened by magical forces more real and powerful than anything she has ever seen.
Published December 15th 1992 by Tor Books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Wraiths of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wraiths of Time

Valerie
This book is one of the reasons I kept reading Norton even after I began to realize her (not particularly thickly disguised) cruelty.

I had never heard of Meroe before I read this book, and it led me to further research on the subject. I've always had great respect for Norton's knowledge of the back alleys and culdesacs of history.

She's also a good storyteller, and good at extrapolation. The society of the Empire of Amun (and its predecessors, Meroe and 'Khem' (Egypt) is well developed (at first...more
Kerry
This is a book I remember getting from the library in my childhood. Many years later, a friend gave me a second hand ex-library copy and I was delighted to have my own copy, even if I never quite got to reading it again. The Baen released it in ebook as an omnibus with Android at Arms (which I admit I have no desire to read at all) and I bought it. Of course, then it sat on my Kindle for a while.

Now that I've made the decision I'm going for rereading old favourites this year, my "Rereads" collec...more
Bunnyjadwiga
Solid science fiction, and, for its time, an attempt at diversity. It suffers from the personality overlay and a certain emotional stunting which may also be a product of the SF publishing standards of its time. What would have happened to Meroe had it not been overrun? Norton trades here on the mysteries of ancient Egypt and associated kingdoms as well as the exotic idea of artifact-linked mental powers. The villan is of course stock Norton, but there seems to have been a good bit of worldbuild...more
Daelith
I just could not get interested in this book and gave up after 81 pages. I thought this was going to be about a time travel to ancient Egypt. Instead it was turning out to be a alternate universe travel to a futuristic Egypt style world which wasn’t working for me. It started out in modern times, then jumps to ancient Egypt, but then the sci-fi stuff starting popping into play like flying crafts and weird gun-like weapons. Besides, I was also having trouble with all the strange names and who was...more
Sarah Wood
Wow. That was kind of cool. It did take my a bit longer to read than some books but it was really good. If I had a chance I think I'd read it again.
Michelle
This is the first book by Andre Norton I read. And I was hooked! I've probably re-read the book at least 20 times since high school. (Ignore the ugly cover-it's an awesome read.)

It's about a young woman who is pulled into a parallel universe to take up the battle against an ancient evil. What's so cool about the book is it incorporates ancient Egypt, the very little known kingdom of Meroe and adds a science fiction/fantasy flair.

This is my favorite title by Andre Norton.
Greg Schroeder
I love Andre Norton. In this book she has mixed various themes into a single story - ancient Egypt, "modern" time, extradimensional travel, psionic abilities - and woven them all in a tight, fast-moving plot.
Rena
The story was overall ok but I often got lost or confused at some parts.
Kelli Mcbride
This is one of my fav Norton books.
Jrlreads
Jrlreads marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Justin Price
Justin Price marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
David Dorton
David Dorton marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 22, 2014
  • Hereticus
  • The Ring of Charon (The Hunted Earth, #1)
  • Operation Chaos (Operation Otherworld, #1)
  • The Door in the Wall and Other Stories
  • The Demons at Rainbow Bridge (Quintara Marathon,#1)
  • World's End (The Snow Queen Cycle, #2)
  • The Werewolf Principle
  • Pilgrimage: The Book of the People (The People)
  • The Throne of Scone (The Tales of Aeron, #2)
  • Prospero's Children
  • The Isle of Glass (The Hound and the Falcon, #1)
  • Finity
  • The Rebirth (Cyteen, #2)
  • That Way Lies Camelot
  • Codgerspace
  • The Storm Lord (Novels of Vis, #1)
  • The Obsidian Dagger: Being the Further Extraordinary Adventures of Horatio Lyle (Horatio Lyle, #2)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male"...more
More about Andre Norton...
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)