Start by marking “Carlo and the Really Nice Librarian” as Want to Read:
Carlo and the Really Nice Librarian

Carlo and the Really Nice Librarian (Carlo the Giraffe)

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  130 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
In a simple storybook adventure, curious Carlo discovers the joys of the library with the help of a gentle (if toothy) librarian.

Carlo the giraffe is making his first visit to the new library. "Wow!" he says when he sees all the books, the colorful posters, and especially the chairs with wheels. But Carlo is a little afraid of the librarian, Mrs. Chinca, with her sharp tee
Hardcover, First U.S. Edition, 32 pages
Published July 15th 2004 by Candlewick (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Carlo and the Really Nice Librarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carlo and the Really Nice Librarian

Library Lion by Michelle KnudsenThe Library by Sarah StewartThe Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians by Carla  MorrisThe Library Dragon by Carmen Agra DeedyLibrary Mouse by Daniel Kirk
Picture Books about the Library!
95th out of 114 books — 143 voters
Library Lion by Michelle KnudsenThe Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians by Carla  MorrisOtto the Book Bear by Katie CleminsonThe Library by Sarah StewartThe Midnight Library by Kazuno Kohara
Children's Books about Libraries
69th out of 102 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Maggie
Apr 08, 2013 Maggie rated it really liked it
Carlo breaks so many library rules! First, his dad ditches him in the children's department for the titular "really nice librarian" to babysit him (that's not a service we provide). Also he brings his cat to the library, rough houses and makes messes, mistreats library furniture, and finagles a library card without ID or a parent's signature! BUT since this book is about a crocodile librarian who takes bites out of books, maybe I'm taking it too seriously ;) Very cute, bright and colorful, and t ...more
Jenni
Sep 05, 2014 Jenni rated it liked it
I am a big fan of picture books that show a character going to do something for the first time, particularly when its something to do with reading. This book tells the story of Carlo’s first trip to the library, he loves books and reading and instantly falls in love with the place. It takes him a little longer to fall in love with Mrs Chinca, the librarian, mainly because she initially seems a little scary. I enjoyed the story but felt that in its effort to be simple and cute it ended up being a ...more
Kate Mowery
Feb 28, 2010 Kate Mowery rated it it was ok
How typical. The dad lets the child wander off and there are books all over the place that need to be picked up.

He brings his pet cat with him to the library and the librarian just gives him a card with no parent involvement?

Destiny Dawn Long
I admit it, I'm a sucker for books that celebrate libraries.

And this one was pretty fun. I loved how Carlo just plowed right into the library and started enjoying all of the different sights and objects around him. It reminded me of my own daughter--she'll completely miss the people around her if she's focused on something new and *fun*. And then I loved that Carlo got scared of the librarian. But, after a little more interaction, Carlo realizes that the librarian is pretty cool--and he manages
Carol Jen
Jul 08, 2015 Carol Jen rated it really liked it
Cute story about a giraffe and his cat going to the library... the alligator librarian is scary to them at first but then they realize she is super nice and helpful... see even alligator librarians aren't scary :-)
Samantha
Sep 07, 2015 Samantha rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
A cute story about a giraffe who is a bit scared of the library at first, but grows to love it.
Danielle Mootz
May 24, 2016 Danielle Mootz rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
We had a blast with this one laughing at Carlo and Crackers and making their voices.
Monica Williams
Apr 08, 2014 Monica Williams rated it really liked it
Don't judge a book by its cover, or a libarian.
Alina Lu
Jul 02, 2016 Alina Lu rated it liked it
I like library
Colleen Vincent
Carlo is a giraffe who loves to visit the library with his father. He loves the inviting children's area but he is afraid of the librarian, Mrs. Chinca, since she has sharp teeth and claws, but once Mrs. Chinca reaches out to Carlo with a friendly greeting and showed him all the library books she loved he wasn't afraid anymore. Children can be a little intimidated by library staff, but by reaching out and being friendly they will soon learn to love them.
Dolly
Oct 05, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, library, 2010
This is a fun story about a young giraffe who is intimidated at first by a librarian who just happens to be an alligator (or is she a crocodile?!?) I guess the moral of this tale is that you can't judge a book by its cover. (groan!) This isn't our favorite book about visiting the library. But it is certainly a good book to read with children who are shy or nervous about visiting a library for the first time.
Bridget R. Wilson
Carlo likes the library, but finds the librarian more than a little scary. Her willingness to help him find books and her knowledge of books soon wins him over.

What I thought: What a nice way to address the fears kids sometimes have of libraries and libraries. I think this will be going in my personal collection.
Aug 27, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Carlo goes to the public library with his father for the first time, and when he's alone in the children's section, he meets the librarian, Mrs. Chinca. She's a bit scary at first, but he soon learns that she knows everything about the books, she is fun to be with, and he likes helping her keep the library neat.
Dan
Nov 21, 2007 Dan rated it really liked it
I enjoy a juvenile book from time to time, and this one was funny and entertaining. Carlo and his cat Crackers are hilarious. And Mrs. Chinca, the librarian, is a hip bibliophile. If you are ever wandering in a library or bookstore, pick it up and give it a read. It only takes a couple of minutes.
Nicole
Jan 14, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it
Good for 2-3 yrs old.
Megan
May 04, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
Spanyol's illustrations add a nice touch to a story about Carlo, a young giraffe, and his interaction with Mrs. Chinca, the alligator librarian. Though hesitant at first (who wouldn't be with those big teeth?) Carlo's visit becomes an enjoyable treat.
Kyle Baldwin
Nov 21, 2011 Kyle Baldwin rated it really liked it
Shelves: friendship
A giraffe named Carlo is afraid of the librarian who is an alligator, until he discovers their common love for books. Great book to encourage students not to prejudge each other and to encourage a common love and interest of reading in the classroom.
Melanie Martel
Carlo,a giraffe, loves to read but is afraid of the librarian, a crocodie/alligator. Once he gets to know her and sees how much they both like books, he really likes her. This book teaches a lesson about not judging someone before you get to know them.
Jenn
Sep 11, 2010 Jenn rated it liked it
This is a good pre-K / K book that discusses the role of the library & librarian. Carlo learns much about how the librarian is a helpful resource who likes to engage with the kids in the library -- not scary at all!
Sarai
Feb 23, 2010 Sarai rated it it was ok
I don't know. I found this book kind of scary. I kept waiting for the alligator librarian to try to eat Carlo. I also didn't care for the art much.

Recommended for PreSchool-Grade 1.
Kristy
Jul 23, 2012 Kristy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012, for-kids
why am I shocked to see that some adults have taken this ridiculously seriously in their reviews? it's cute! great for kids. though not sure why anyone would be scared of a librarian...
Lesley Looper
This children's book about visiting a library didn't speak to me as much as others have. On the plus side, though, the pictures were colorful and the typeset interesting.
Rakisha
Oct 28, 2010 Rakisha rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-2-read-alouds
A little boy visits the library for the first time, and is surprised by how nice the children's librarian is. Perfect for K-2 story times and lessons about the library.
Tara
Feb 07, 2009 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, favorites
One of my favorite books because one of my closest friends is a guy named Carlo and I work at the library. Small worldworld.
Tina
Apr 26, 2013 Tina rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book to show little kids how the library works and how us librarians can be very helpful!
M.
Sep 18, 2013 M. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Carlo learns that librarians are friendly and helpful. Very cute story and wonderful illustrations.
Kathleen
Apr 18, 2012 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
yay for librarians dealing with difficult patrons!
Jessica
Jun 04, 2009 Jessica added it
Shelves: preschool, picture
Could be used as into to library for very young
Ewa
Jun 26, 2011 Ewa rated it liked it
Shelves: emilia-s-books
Children
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • Librarian's Night Before Christmas
  • The Best Book to Read
  • When the Library Lights Go Out
  • Families, Families, Families!
  • Lola at the Library
  • The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians
  • Library Lil
  • I Took My Frog to the Library
  • Beverly Billingsly Borrows a Book
  • D.W.'s Library Card (D.W.)
  • Clarence the Copy Cat
  • My Librarian Is a Camel: How Books Are Brought to Children Around the World
  • That Book Woman
  • Tomas and the Library Lady
  • A is for Salad
  • The Boy & the Book: [a wordless story]
  • Dinosaur Kisses
Jessica Spanyol wrote and illustrated her first story, "Carlo the Giraffe Who Could Not Read," when she was a precocious six and a half years old. As she grew older, her literary ambitions gave way to artistic ones, and she began a career as a fine artist. But the adult Jessica Spanyol, it turned out, could not shake the memory of Carlo the giraffe. So thirty years after its writing, she determine ...more
More about Jessica Spanyol...

Carlo the Giraffe (4 books)
  • Carlo Likes Reading