Carlo and the Really Nice Librarian

Carlo and the Really Nice Librarian (Carlo the Giraffe)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In a simple storybook adventure, curious Carlo discovers the joys of the library with the help of a gentle (if toothy) librarian.

Carlo the giraffe is making his first visit to the new library. "Wow!" he says when he sees all the books, the colorful posters, and especially the chairs with wheels. But Carlo is a little afraid of the librarian, Mrs. Chinca, with her sharp tee...more
Published July 15th 2004 by Candlewick

Maggie
Carlo breaks so many library rules! First, his dad ditches him in the children's department for the titular "really nice librarian" to babysit him (that's not a service we provide). Also he brings his cat to the library, rough houses and makes messes, mistreats library furniture, and finagles a library card without ID or a parent's signature! BUT since this book is about a crocodile librarian who takes bites out of books, maybe I'm taking it too seriously ;) Very cute, bright and colorful, and t...more
Kate Mowery
How typical. The dad lets the child wander off and there are books all over the place that need to be picked up.

He brings his pet cat with him to the library and the librarian just gives him a card with no parent involvement?

Destiny Dawn Long
I admit it, I'm a sucker for books that celebrate libraries.

And this one was pretty fun. I loved how Carlo just plowed right into the library and started enjoying all of the different sights and objects around him. It reminded me of my own daughter--she'll completely miss the people around her if she's focused on something new and *fun*. And then I loved that Carlo got scared of the librarian. But, after a little more interaction, Carlo realizes that the librarian is pretty cool--and he manages...more
Monica Williams
Don't judge a book by its cover, or a libarian.
Colleen Vincent
Carlo is a giraffe who loves to visit the library with his father. He loves the inviting children's area but he is afraid of the librarian, Mrs. Chinca, since she has sharp teeth and claws, but once Mrs. Chinca reaches out to Carlo with a friendly greeting and showed him all the library books she loved he wasn't afraid anymore. Children can be a little intimidated by library staff, but by reaching out and being friendly they will soon learn to love them.
Dolly
Oct 05, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, library, pets
This is a fun story about a young giraffe who is intimidated at first by a librarian who just happens to be an alligator (or is she a crocodile?!?) I guess the moral of this tale is that you can't judge a book by its cover. (groan!) This isn't our favorite book about visiting the library. But it is certainly a good book to read with children who are shy or nervous about visiting a library for the first time.
Bridget R. Wilson
Carlo likes the library, but finds the librarian more than a little scary. Her willingness to help him find books and her knowledge of books soon wins him over.

What I thought: What a nice way to address the fears kids sometimes have of libraries and libraries. I think this will be going in my personal collection.
Carlo goes to the public library with his father for the first time, and when he's alone in the children's section, he meets the librarian, Mrs. Chinca. She's a bit scary at first, but he soon learns that she knows everything about the books, she is fun to be with, and he likes helping her keep the library neat.
Dan
I enjoy a juvenile book from time to time, and this one was funny and entertaining. Carlo and his cat Crackers are hilarious. And Mrs. Chinca, the librarian, is a hip bibliophile. If you are ever wandering in a library or bookstore, pick it up and give it a read. It only takes a couple of minutes.
Nicole
Good for 2-3 yrs old.
Megan
Spanyol's illustrations add a nice touch to a story about Carlo, a young giraffe, and his interaction with Mrs. Chinca, the alligator librarian. Though hesitant at first (who wouldn't be with those big teeth?) Carlo's visit becomes an enjoyable treat.
Kyle Baldwin
A giraffe named Carlo is afraid of the librarian who is an alligator, until he discovers their common love for books. Great book to encourage students not to prejudge each other and to encourage a common love and interest of reading in the classroom.
Melanie Martel
Carlo,a giraffe, loves to read but is afraid of the librarian, a crocodie/alligator. Once he gets to know her and sees how much they both like books, he really likes her. This book teaches a lesson about not judging someone before you get to know them.
Jenn
This is a good pre-K / K book that discusses the role of the library & librarian. Carlo learns much about how the librarian is a helpful resource who likes to engage with the kids in the library -- not scary at all!
Sarai
I don't know. I found this book kind of scary. I kept waiting for the alligator librarian to try to eat Carlo. I also didn't care for the art much.

Recommended for PreSchool-Grade 1.
Kristy
why am I shocked to see that some adults have taken this ridiculously seriously in their reviews? it's cute! great for kids. though not sure why anyone would be scared of a librarian...
Lesley
This children's book about visiting a library didn't speak to me as much as others have. On the plus side, though, the pictures were colorful and the typeset interesting.
Rakisha
A little boy visits the library for the first time, and is surprised by how nice the children's librarian is. Perfect for K-2 story times and lessons about the library.
Cheryl in CC NV
Sorry, I don't think libraries are playgrounds, or librarians are babysitters. And I cannot stand faux-childlike illustrations.
Tara
One of my favorite books because one of my closest friends is a guy named Carlo and I work at the library. Small worldworld.
Tina
Such a cute book to show little kids how the library works and how us librarians can be very helpful!
M.
Carlo learns that librarians are friendly and helpful. Very cute story and wonderful illustrations.
Kathleen
yay for librarians dealing with difficult patrons!
Jessica
Jun 04, 2009 Jessica added it
Shelves: preschool, picture
Could be used as into to library for very young
Ewa
Children
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Erica Flory
Erica Flory marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
L13_tanyasurdick
L13_tanyasurdick marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jessica Spanyol wrote and illustrated her first story, "Carlo the Giraffe Who Could Not Read," when she was a precocious six and a half years old. As she grew older, her literary ambitions gave way to artistic ones, and she began a career as a fine artist. But the adult Jessica Spanyol, it turned out, could not shake the memory of Carlo the giraffe. So thirty years after its writing, she determine...more
More about Jessica Spanyol...
Carlo Likes Reading Carlo Likes Counting Carlo Likes Colors Little Neighbors on Sunnyside Street Go Bugs Go!