Start by marking “Health, Healing, and Beyond: Yoga and the Living Tradition of T. Krishnamacharya” as Want to Read:

4.52 of 5 stars 4.52  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The much-sought-after, greatly beloved exploration of the work of Krishnamacharya, teacher of many of twentieth-century yoga’s greatest and most influential exponents, Health, Healing, and Beyond is filled with deep wisdom—an indispensable guide to the philosophy, principles, and limitless possibilities of yoga. First published in 1998, it is now available again to yogis,...more
Published September 13th 2011 by North Point Press (first published August 30th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Health, Healing, and Beyond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Health, Healing, and Beyond

Curt
If you are into Yoga this book is a great one to teach you about some of the history of Yoga (asana) and how it was brought over to the West. This is a wonderful read about Krishnamacharya and what he did in India to revive Yoga. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to know more about Yoga.
Eric
This book was primarily written for Yoga teachers and practitioners. I just loved reading this profoundly moving biography of legendary yogi Krishnamacharya. And I highly recommend this book to all Yoga enthusiasts. I have practiced Yoga since 1988. As this is the 25th year of my practice, I'm keen to up my game and take it to the next level. This wonderful book has inspired me and I'm grateful to have found it and read it. Desikachar, Krishnamachra's son and successor at his eponymous Yoga scho...more
Susan Rydberg
Great book giving the explanations of the states of mind and the development of the yogi's path. Provides insight to the humanity of a great teacher. The inspiration of a healer and a teacher of the path of a seeker gives me motivation go to on as a student struggle to understand and learn.
Nsharil
One of the best autobiography book of Krishnamacharya and one that doubles up as a foundation of building an understanding of yoga history and the bhagavad gita. I agree with other readers, this is an extremely touching account of the Krishnamacharya's life. I only wished that I had the privilege of being his student when he was alive. A must read for all those who want to have a glimpse of the man who was responsible for training B.K.S Iyengar and Indra Devi.
Annette Broy
Apr 11, 2013 Annette Broy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to know what yoga really is
I loved this book. What a deep respect that I have for this man and his life work and dedication to yoga. I plan on reading this book many times over as there were many wonderful nuggets to absorb. Highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to know what yoga is. Yoga is not just about postures, but a way of living. Awesome!
Kimz Zahour
It's wonderful that Yoga has become so accessible. Can you imagine walking for days to find a guru to instruct you? Living in isolation during your education? And then giving whatever your guru demands of you as payment?
Heather
A good overall view of what yoga is and biographical sketches of an influential teacher to many in the United States. This teacher looks above all at the therapeutic workings with individuals to promote better health.
Christina Boyle
This is one of my texts for yoga teacher training. There is so much wisdom packed into this book. And the writing is totally accessible to those who haven't taken yoga.
David Melik
I consider this as interesting as Autobiography of A Yogi, but this is focused more on Hatha Yoga than Kriya Yoga and may be more understandable to most people.
Judy
An excellent book. Yoga was once the provence of men and of mystics. Krishnamacharya brought yoga practice to the householder and more importantly to women.
kyle
The story of Krisnamacarya as told by his son. Essential reading for yogis/yoginis. Inspiring, provocative, well-written, and beautiful designed.
Kavya
Kavya marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Burnt Toast
Burnt Toast marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Bala
Bala added it
Aug 22, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Karl Wimmer
Karl Wimmer marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Fré
Fré marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Frank Harris
Frank Harris marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
SM
SM added it
Jun 26, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Dani Scher
Dani Scher marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
TKV Desikachar, son and student of T Krishnamacharya had the privilege of living and studying with T Krishnamacharya from 1960 until Krishnamacharya's death in 1989. For over 50 years, TKV Desikachar has devoted himself to teaching yoga and making it relevant to people from all walks of life and with all kinds of abilities. His teaching method is based on Krishnamacharya's fundamental principle th...more
More about T.K.V. Desikachar...
The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice Religiousness in Yoga: Lectures on Theory and Practice Reflections on Yoga Sutras of Patanjali The Viniyoga of Yoga, Applying yoga for healthy living