Start by marking “Health, Healing, and Beyond: Yoga and the Living Tradition of T. Krishnamacharya” as Want to Read:

The much-sought-after, greatly beloved exploration of the work of Krishnamacharya, teacher of many of twentieth-century yoga's greatest and most influential exponents, Health, Healing, and Beyond is filled with deep wisdom—an indispensable guide to the philosophy, principles, and limitless possibilities of yoga. First published in 1998, it is now available again to yogis, ...more
Published September 13th 2011 by North Point Press (first published August 30th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Health, Healing, and Beyond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Health, Healing, and Beyond

Eric
Apr 09, 2013 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was primarily written for Yoga teachers and practitioners. I just loved reading this profoundly moving biography of legendary yogi Krishnamacharya. And I highly recommend this book to all Yoga enthusiasts. I have practiced Yoga since 1988. As this is the 25th year of my practice, I'm keen to up my game and take it to the next level. This wonderful book has inspired me and I'm grateful to have found it and read it. Desikachar, Krishnamachra's son and successor at his eponymous Yoga scho ...more
Nsharil
Jun 12, 2013 Nsharil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best autobiography book of Krishnamacharya and one that doubles up as a foundation of building an understanding of yoga history and the bhagavad gita. I agree with other readers, this is an extremely touching account of the Krishnamacharya's life. I only wished that I had the privilege of being his student when he was alive. A must read for all those who want to have a glimpse of the man who was responsible for training B.K.S Iyengar and Indra Devi.
Annette Broy
Mar 20, 2013 Annette Broy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to know what yoga really is
I loved this book. What a deep respect that I have for this man and his life work and dedication to yoga. I plan on reading this book many times over as there were many wonderful nuggets to absorb. Highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to know what yoga is. Yoga is not just about postures, but a way of living. Awesome!
Curt
Jul 26, 2007 Curt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: information
If you are into Yoga this book is a great one to teach you about some of the history of Yoga (asana) and how it was brought over to the West. This is a wonderful read about Krishnamacharya and what he did in India to revive Yoga. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to know more about Yoga.
Susan Rydberg
Great book giving the explanations of the states of mind and the development of the yogi's path. Provides insight to the humanity of a great teacher. The inspiration of a healer and a teacher of the path of a seeker gives me motivation go to on as a student struggle to understand and learn.
Samiam
Dec 03, 2015 Samiam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential routes for the yoga tree.
Kimz Zahour
Jun 21, 2007 Kimz Zahour rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
It's wonderful that Yoga has become so accessible. Can you imagine walking for days to find a guru to instruct you? Living in isolation during your education? And then giving whatever your guru demands of you as payment?
Heather
Apr 25, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good overall view of what yoga is and biographical sketches of an influential teacher to many in the United States. This teacher looks above all at the therapeutic workings with individuals to promote better health.
David Melik
Feb 22, 2009 David Melik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I consider this as interesting as Autobiography of A Yogi, but this is focused more on Hatha Yoga than Kriya Yoga and may be more understandable to most people.
Christina Boyle
Feb 02, 2013 Christina Boyle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mind-body-spirit
This is one of my texts for yoga teacher training. There is so much wisdom packed into this book. And the writing is totally accessible to those who haven't taken yoga.
kyle
Sep 19, 2009 kyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of Krisnamacarya as told by his son. Essential reading for yogis/yoginis. Inspiring, provocative, well-written, and beautiful designed.
Karen
Jan 07, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is beautifully written by the son of Krishnamacharya. This book not only reveals Krishnamacharya's teachings but is also an intimate look at his personal practice and devotion to it.
Jean-Paul Eberle
Dec 19, 2016 Jean-Paul Eberle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
A wonderful insight into the essence of yoga as evolved and practiced in the life journey of Krishnamacharya, teacher to Iyengar.
Carrie Ridgeway
Mar 24, 2013 Carrie Ridgeway rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, yoga
I understood a lot more after having taken Level 4 training through YogaFit. Krishnamacharya was a great teacher!

i own an IBook version.
Judy
Aug 20, 2012 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book. Yoga was once the provence of men and of mystics. Krishnamacharya brought yoga practice to the householder and more importantly to women.
Samantha
Jan 03, 2017 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read for every yoga teacher and student! WOW!
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2012
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2017
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015
Áine
Áine rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Eeeeeva
Eeeeeva rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2017
John Baldwin
John Baldwin rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
ARCHAK MUKHERJEE
ARCHAK MUKHERJEE rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2016
Linus
Linus rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2012
Kat
Kat rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2013
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2011
Shari
Shari rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2013
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
May 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • American Veda: From Emerson and the Beatles to Yoga and Meditation How Indian Spirituality Changed the West
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • Yoga Nidra
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
  • Krishnamacharya: His Life and Teachings
  • The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind
  • The End of Sorrow: The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, Volume I [India's timeless and practical scripture presented as a manual for everyday use]
  • The Complete Book of Vinyasa Yoga: The Authoritative Presentation-Based on 30 Years of Direct Study Under the Legendary Yoga Teacher Krishnamacha
  • Insight Yoga
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Living Yoga: Creating a Life Practice
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Yoga from the Inside Out: Making Peace with Your Body Through Yoga
  • Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
  • Autobiography of a Sadhu: A Journey into Mystic India
TKV Desikachar, son and student of T Krishnamacharya had the privilege of living and studying with T Krishnamacharya from 1960 until Krishnamacharya's death in 1989. For over 50 years, TKV Desikachar has devoted himself to teaching yoga and making it relevant to people from all walks of life and with all kinds of abilities. His teaching method is based on Krishnamacharya's fundamental principle th ...more
More about T.K.V. Desikachar...