Dismiss Could not find this book.

Start by marking “His Last Bow” as Want to Read:
His Last Bow

Read Book* *Different edition

His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes #8)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  18,374 Ratings  ·  399 Reviews
His Last Bow is a collection of seven Sherlock Holmes stories (eight in American editions) by Arthur Conan Doyle, as well as the title of one of the stories in that collection. Originally published in 1917, it contains the various Holmes stories published between 1908 and 1913, as well as the one-off title story from 1917.
The collection was originally called Reminiscences
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 22nd 1917)

To ask other readers questions about His Last Bow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Last Bow

K.D. Absolutely
The Sherlock Holmes collection that has the fewest number of short stories: 8. It is even a story-less in its British edition. This is called His Last Bow because it shares that title with its anchor (last) story. Other than that reason, I could not associate any of the other stories with Holmes bowing out as they all have the same ingredients or formula as the earlier Sherlock Holmes literary pieces.

The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge. John Scott Eccles consults Holmes and Watson regarding the deat
This is the penultimate collection of Sherlock Holmes stories. I have spent my summer going through the Sherlock canon, and I am a bit sad to be nearing the end of my time with the great detective. Even though some of the stories are not the best mysteries, they have a certain charm to them that makes them endearing to read.

In this collection, my favorites were "The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans," "The Adventure of the Dying Detective," and "The Adventure of the Devil's Foot." The fina
Dec 04, 2011 Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are times when only certain types of books will do, when one is feeling in need of some consoling literary friend. At such times I often reach for Agatha Christie, although another old and comforting literary companion is Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes.

This fairly slight volume contains eight fascinating Holmes stories, each of them a fairly decent length, utterly perfect to curl up with on a chilly December evening. I adore the character of Holmes, it matches exactly the mood that Doyle cr
russell barnes
Oct 15, 2008 russell barnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, crime
So, as I said previously, Not the last Sherlock Holmes book, although chronologically the last as it finishes at the dawn of The Great War. 'Great' as in 'Huge' rather than 'Spiffing'...

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are taking a trip across a desert by hot-air balloon. There are not many landmarks; so eventually, they become lost. Luckily, while flying quite low, they see a man.

Holmes shouts, "Sir, could you please tell me where we are?"

The man looks up, ponders for a moment, and then
May 12, 2014 Ferdy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fairly good collection of Sherlock stories - I probably would have enjoyed them more though if I hadn't been binge reading the series as it made them rather predictable and formulaic.
The last story was different than the others though, which I liked, but it did feel somewhat odd and out of place as it was set much later than the other cases and instead of the usual telegrams and carriages, it was all telephones and cars. I'm hoping the next lot of stories are set later on as well, it would ma
--The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge
--The Adventure of the Devil's Foot
--His Last Bow
Julie Davis
Sep 05, 2014 Julie Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm actually listening to this concurrently with reading the second annotated Sherlock Holmes book. I enjoy reading the stories and copious notes. However, having stumbled upon Derek Jacobi's readings at my library, I simply can't resist listening to the stories first. Jacobi's narration is simply top-notch, with a fascinating interpretation of Holmes that I've never come across before. Holmes has a light touch, almost like Bertie Wooster (almost, but not as nonsensical). I really am enjoying he ...more
Apr 24, 2015 Cdee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this set of stories.
I have a newly acquired quirk. As I browse through the detective shelf at my local bookstore and come across the neatly lined up spines of SHERLOCK HOLMES' many many adventures, I must, I absolutely must pluck them out just to view the artwork on the cover.
Blame it on Benedict. Benedict Cumberbatch.
Yes, do.

And so, when I came across a bright orange spine of His Last Bow , I pulled it out and lo!....there were my two favourite BBC men, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, giving me their co
Spencer Borup
If you've read my reviews of past Sherlock Holmes entries, you'll know me to be rather harsh of Arthur Conan Doyle. Perhaps that is because I am not influenced by nostalgic sentiment. I've tried to read these books as objectively as possible. But that's grown harder with each read, because GOD Doyle can be so frustrating. I've suggested reading his novels instead of his collections of short stories, particularly THE SIGN OF FOUR and THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES. And certain short story collecti ...more
Dec 17, 2012 Darwin8u rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I was surprised at how good 'His Last Bow' was. While not an absolute masterpiece like The Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, it is easily on par with The Return of Sherlock Holmes. I think part of the genius of Sherlock Holmes is how easily the primary charcter allows for adaption to the patterns of the time and the age he is read. Sherlock Holmes is like a literary dress form stand, upon which the fashions of every age can and do hang.
M. Ashraf
May 02, 2016 M. Ashraf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good set of stories.
I may have skipped a book in the series The Valley of Fear, but I will go back to it, this wasn't numbered correctly in my set...

His Last Bow, Reminiscences of Sherlock Holmes, stories before his retirement :)
Some were good and others were just great!
- The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge: the story of the Spaniard and the Tiger of San Pedro (Great Story)
- The Adventure of the Cardboard Box: The Cushing sisters, it was a bit obvious (Good Story)
- The Adventure of the Re
Vane J.
I don't know if you think so, but, for me, this one was the best in the series, and I'm talking about the collection of short-stories, not the novels. It was also the darkest one. I find it impossible to tell you which one of the stories I loved the most. The Adventure of The Dying Detective kept me in suspense until the end, which was unexpected. And His Last Bow was also amazing. A great "end" to the canon.
An excellent plot with a little hint of aventure in this Sherlock Holmes series.
John Yelverton
Oct 20, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another fantastic addition to the greatest mystery book series of all time!
James Tivendale
This was pretty enjoyable read consisting of 8 short stories. Although they are arguably not as consitant and entertaining as Adventures of... and Return of... I would say half the stories here are very good. Devil's Foot was one of my favourites which was reminiscent of The Hound of The Baskervilles where Sherlock goes and explores on his own via long walks in strange places and leaves the readers in the dark before the big reveals following the masterful deductions he is famous for.

I like the

Bye bye, Sherlock !

Ci sono casi e metodi d’indagine ormai divenuti da manuale. Forse più qui, nella brevità del racconto, che nei romanzi lunghi, è rintracciabile la maestria avveniristica della modalità investigativa di Sherlock Holmes che ha fatto scuola a tutti i CSI e affini televisivi, ma, ancor prima, alla polizia di ogni Stato che ha così affiancato l’analisi scientifica alle tradizionali tecniche di interrogatorio.
Il ragionamento logico di Sherlock Holmes non fa una piega e non manca d
Mar 02, 2014 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some consider this to be one of the worst collections of Sherlock Holmes short stories but I liked it at least as much as the others. It is the penultimate collection that was published featuring the famous detective although features the last story chronologically. Reading the Sherlock canon in order is very confusing.

The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge: A man comes to Sherlock Holmes to tell of the strange experience where he stayed round someone's house only to find there was nobody there when h
Peter Dunn
So I have now finished the Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes story collection entitled 'His Last Bow' as I work through a one volume complete collection of the all the novel s and stories (so ignore the random 'His Last Bow' book cover I have chosen for this review).

This collection includes some great Holmes tales including a bit more Mycroft, and Sherlock’s enforced Cornish holiday, but the very last tale is set at the end of Holmes’s career and is essentially a spy story in which Conan Doyle shoe ho
Oct 14, 2012 Jefferson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Reader SImon Prebble does a great Holmes and a spot on Watson, and His Last Bow (1917?) does have its moments, and Conan Doyle is ever a fine writer, and I like the device he frequently uses of the story within a story (as when Watson depicts suspects or clients telling their stories to Holmes). But… am I beginning to tire of Sherlock Holmes stories, having worked through all of them except those in The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes?

"The Adventure of the Wisteria Lodge" opens with a conservative b
His Last Bow (originally, Reminiscences of Sherlock Holmes) is a collection of 7-8 Holmes tales, including the title story. "The Adventure of the Cardboard Box" appears in The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes in British editions, but is added to the American edition of His Last Bow. A story that deals with adultery, it was thought when Memoirs was published to be too risqué for the American public at the time. So, the story was held back and added later to His Last Bow. These are all quite good. I tho ...more
Ada delapan kisah dalam buku kumpulan kasus Sherlock Holmes ini. Sembilan kisah yang sebenarnya dulu pernah saya baca, tapi lagi-lagi saya lupa. Karena saya bacanya waktu SMA dan saya nggak pernah urut baca bukunya. Tapi nggak papa, karena ada beberapa cerita yang saya benar-benar lupa.

Nah, sekarang saya akan mencoba membahas satu per satu kasus yang pernah ditangani oleh Sherlock di buku ini.

Petualangan di Wisteria Lodge
Kisah ini adalah petualangan 'fantastis' Sherlock Holmes yang dicatat oleh
Sol González
Serie de cuentos de Sherlock en donde las historias están contadas como si éste fuera ya un jubilado recordando algunos de sus viejos casos que no han sido aún publicados o dados a conocer.

En este libro se presiente como un humor más tranquilo el de Sherlock, que aunque sigue sonando algo presuntuoso, ya lo es como alguien que rememora sus antiguas glorias. La mas emocionante de todas es la que concierne a Mycrof, el hermano de Sherlock, de quien todavía no había leído una historia en la que par
Jul 29, 2016 Nuska rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Más aventuras del mayor detective de todos los tiempos. En esta ocasión en sus últimos días, ya retirado y dedicado a la apicultura. Magnífico el momento en que por fin se atreve a declarar su aprecio a Watson y cuando se acuerda de LA mujer, la sorprendente Irene Adler.
Guy Priel
Oct 19, 2014 Guy Priel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always been a fan of Sherlock Holmes and finally got the complete works. I have read this one at least five times and it is always great.
Mar 04, 2015 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, mystery
The wide variety of plots made this most enjoyable. Are they all perfect? No, but who cares if Holmes is on the trail!
Ahmad Sharabiani
His Last Bow: 8 Stories (Sherlock Holmes, #8), Arthur Conan Doyle
Aug 17, 2015 Fede rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this collection. The short stories were intriguing, well built, and interesting as always.
One of my favorites is the last one, the epilogue, because it is completely different from the others I have read so far. It is written in a third person narrator, it deals with the reality of the WWI, and there is this melancholic feeling, as it is clear that Sherlock Holmes and John Watson's adventures are coming to an end.

Just one more collection, and then I will be finished. I'm already
Jan 04, 2013 Ana marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
I really don't know what happened but I didn't like this book at all. I'm not a massive fan of Sherlock Holmes, but Doyle's books usually intrigue me and I find myself wanting to know what's all the fuss behind the mystery, so I keep on reading until I find out .

But this time, it didn't work. I got so bored I had to convince myself to finish this book, and still I didn't manage to. It ended up on my abandoned shelve, unfortunately. Hopefully I'll have more luck with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's othe
Rachel K
Jan 16, 2016 Rachel K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a difficult time being drawn into "His Last Bow" by Arthur Conan Doyle. The cases weren't pulling me in quite as easily as they did before. Perhaps I weary of Sherlock Holmes in my Sherlock Holmes reading binge, this being the eighth book with one more to go yet. But as I continued to read, I realized that these were actually some of the more interesting cases to date. I adore the ignorant, brilliant detective. I must beg his forgiveness at my unfaithfulness, in my moment of weakness.

#AYEARATHON: His Last Bow - Arthur Conan Doyle (SPOILERS) 1 7 Jun 29, 2015 08:12PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: # 89 His Last Bow 1 2 Dec 08, 2014 03:38PM
Il Giallo Mondadori: L'ultimo saluto di Sherlock Holmes 2 10 Jul 31, 2014 07:31PM
Catching up on Cl...: His Last Bow #8 *SPOILERS* 2 9 Apr 06, 2014 12:55AM
Reading the Classics: His Last Bow - Oct 17 - Nov 6 9 41 Nov 24, 2013 08:43PM
DumbleDORKS: His Last Bow 1 23 Apr 03, 2013 04:23AM
  • The Wisdom of Father Brown (Father Brown, #2)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Penguin Book of Victorian Women in Crime: Forgotten Cops and Private Eyes from the Time of Sherlock Holmes
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Holmes
  • The Secret Notebooks of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Ectoplasmic Man
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • Raffles: Further Adventures of the Amateur Cracksman
  • The Moriarty Papers: The Schemes and Adventures of the Great Nemesis of Sherlock Holmes
  • The West End Horror: A Posthumous Memoir of John H. Watson, MD
  • Arsène Lupin, Gentleman-Thief (Arsène Lupin)
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
  • I cinque misteri di Sherlock Holmes
  • Um Estudo em Vermelho / Os Sete Mistérios (Obras Completas de Sherlock Holmes, #1)

“Education never ends, Watson. It is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.” 680 likes
“There's an east wind coming all the same, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter, Watson, and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less and a cleaner, better stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared.” 36 likes