Start by marking “The Echo Man: A Novel of Suspense” as Want to Read:
The Echo Man: A Novel of Suspense

The Echo Man: A Novel of Suspense (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne #5)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  706 ratings  ·  64 reviews
From internationally bestselling author Richard Montanari comes a smashing new thriller—available exclusively as an e-book.

Tormented by the exquisite beauty of a concerto and the bloodcurdling cries of a dying woman, the Echo Man composes his own symphony in response: a string of artfully staged slayings—all of them linked to cold murder cases and designed to taunt the pol
Published September 19th 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Echo Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Echo Man

Jim
"The Echo Man" is the fifth in author Richard Montanari's Balzano/Byrne series of crime mystery/Thrillers set in Philadelphia. Byrne the grizzled old vet, and Balzano a detective with limited time in homicide partner together perfectly . The fifth book in this series was an enjoyable read. I've really had a ball reading all five of author Montanari's Philly series to date. The author knows every nook and cranny of this city. His protagonist team of Jessica Balzano and Kevin Bynre are surperbly c ...more
Tanja
>>Diese Rezension und viele mehr findet ihr auch hier: http://wort-welten.blogspot.de/

Ein Mann, der in einem verlassenen Haus tot aufgefunden wird, ist für die Detectives Jessica Balzano und Kevin Byrne nun wirklich nichts Neues mehr. Ein Mann, der gefesselt, dem anschließend das Ohr und die Stirn zerschnitten und der erst danach mit einem Draht ermordet wurde, allerdings schon. Nimmt man dann allerdings noch die Tatsache hinzu, dass er von Kopf bis Fuß rasiert ist und einen Papierstreife
Paula  Phillips
After writing an essay about Music compositions and Composers , it seems appropiate to write a review on Richard Montanari's latest novel "The Echo Man".
If you are a fan of Richard's novels , then you know it follows two main detectives Kevin Byrne and Jessica Balzano and their force of policemen and women. The novel has two main storylines running through it , the first one less important than the main murder case is the AA Killer , a guy who preys on young women at Alcoholics Anonymous meetin
Kathy Jackson
Aug 14, 2011 Kathy Jackson rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like long books
The book, Echo Man, is over 1100 pages in length - something that I found to be about five hundred pages too long. A lot could have been cut out or done with more brevity. Long books work only if the topic continues to evolve with excitement and character. This book seemed to drag on to me.

The good thing about the book is the attention to detail. Mr. Montanari takes pages to describe simple things in extreme detail leaving little room for the imagination. He did manage to keep the identity of th
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
This is big book, lots and lots of pages and while I do love Richard Montanari and would list him amongst my favourite authors, I don't think this is his best book by a long mile. It started out quite good, the end was crazy. The relationship between Kevin Byrne and Jessica Balzano is endearing and entertaining, their interaction can be quite witty. The story is about bodies that turn up at old crime scenes and the victims have all been suspects in the original crimes. So, the simple answer woul ...more
Curlyhair
Balzano & Byrne no 5. The best one of the series so far, in my opinion. A good decent story, with lots of twists and turns, which had me guessing right until the end.
Hayley Edwards
A Very enjoyable read, full of twists and turns. i did get a bit lost at times but soon got back on track.
Gatorman
Terrific thriller from Montanari that continues the exploits of Kevin and Jessica as they hunt down a killer who is murdering other killers who got away with their crimes. Taut writing and a faced-paced story keeps things moving along nicely and the ending is satisfying, if a bit implausible in one aspect. Looking forward to his next entry in the series.
John
I have not read a book by Richard Montanari since the Rosary Girls, way back when, and before I started reviewing, so I cannot remember what I thought about that one. Possibly not very much given that I have not returned to him for the 9 intervening years. But having just finished this one, I may have to go back and start again. It did not matter that I had not read the three books inbetween, this can be read almost as a stand-alone.
It is a very densely plotted book with several strands woven to
Roj
I've been following Balzano and Byrne's escapades for a while now (although admittedly I seem to have missed one or two) so I was looking forward to reading The Echo Man, and wasn't too disappointed.

The chemistry between the two detectives, as always, was brilliant. However, it did feel as though this book was a tease of a split between the two in one or two places to set up a different future for the pair.

Richard Montanari writes succinct descriptions of the scenes he wants to set, and The Echo
Luanne Ollivier
The Echo Man is the 5th book in Richard Montanari's series featuring Detectives Balzano and Byrne.

Jessica Balzano and Kevin Byrne face one of their most baffling cases to date. A body is found - completely shaved, with the head wrapped in paper and sealing wax and a temporary tattoo on one finger. As the detectives delve further, they realize that the spot where the body was found is the scene of an unsolved cold case from eight years ago. The placement of the body is identical. And then - it h
Niecole
This was a gift from my parents after asking some guy at a flee market what a great book would be as a gift for someone who loves crime novels.
The book did not disappoint.

Sometimes it was a little confusing, but nothing too serious and you quickly found your way out again.

The story centres around some horrific killings taking place in Philadelphia where the bodies are found naked, completely shaven and with a strange paper headband around the heads... then some strange little tattoo is discovere
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Rating* 3.5
*Genre* Mystery/Thriller

*Review*

The Echo Man, by Richard Montanari, is the fifth novel in the Jessica Balzano and Kevin Byrne series and the first book released since Badlands came out in 2008. Echo Man marks the return of Philadelphia Police Department Homicide Detectives Balzano and Byrne in a case that has major implications for Byrne as well as a case that he worked on 20 years ago.

Flashback to November 1, 1990; Byrne’s discovery of a woman who just committed what he thought was
Andrea
I thought this was a pretty good book until the end when Bryne went AWOL. From there, the storyline was hard to follow and just plain unbelievable. There were a lot of loose ends, IMO, that never wrapped up nice and tidy. The killer is just completely unbelievable, too. I now remember why I stopped reading this series after the 3rd book. They have potential, but the parts where it's the killer's voice or when they're giving background into the killer's life just fail. It almost reads like two di ...more
Belinda Elizondo
Loved the main characters. Enjoy reading this series, but I've noticed that the author is using the same type serial killings with each novel. Not the manner of death, but the pattern of deaths. Could become predictable in the future. Still I was drawn into the plot and the character development, and had to read to the end to find out who did it.
Danny
Bought this cheap in a sale and was very pleased that I did. It had me Guessing right until the end. The characters were good and the plot moved along at a pace that wasn't so fast to seem rushed but fast enough to not make me fall asleep. I will be purchasing the other "Byrne and Balzano" books that came before this.
Wayne Simmons
Richard Montanari knocks it out of the park with this 2011 novel, another in his bestselling and always excellent Byrne & Balanzo series. The Echo Man gives me all that I want in crime: great characters (flawed sleuths and a theatrical villain), a cleverly layered plot, sharp writing and - most importantly - pages that practically turn themselves. If you enjoy the old school noir/ pulp style of writing but would like a more contemporary setting, check out Montanari.
Ricardo
Montanari's writing seems to have difficulties making connections between events, making it difficult for the reader to make the jump from one to the other and therefore making the flow of the book quite uneven. Also, his trademark overworked and beyond-credibility villains made an appearance in this book again
Julie
I happened to notice this in the "new e-books" listing at the library and decided to check it out. I am so glad I did! I have not read anything else by this author but I will definitely go back and start with #1 of this series.

This one had me going from start to finish. By the time I finished the book, I had gone through about six possibilities for the identity of the killer (all of them wrong). I quit trying to figure out the motive.

This book has everything going for it: plot, setting, characte
Brandon Stec
I had a tough time with the final summary and summation of the crime. The build up was so intense throughout the story and there were little droplets of information dropped in occasionally, but the story almost became so unbelievable and impossible to trace that when the killer was revealed I was underwhelmed. This is a great novel for a music enthusiast to enjoy along side a well-written crime story. The issue was too much going on and the characters strayed from the plot to make the story drag ...more
Sibylle Seys smets
Bien mené, bcp de rythme, de l originalité en chemin, moins dans la chute, et de jolis personnages. Difficile à lâcher.
Cateline
bit too bloody and grusome....but all in all well written and thrilling till the end!!
Eleanor
I loved this book, I bought it at a train station to keep me occupied and didn't put it down (no, it did not have anything to do with me missing my stop!) An I-can't-put-this-down kind of book, I did not realize that it was part of a series but it was wonderfully written and the deep character analysis meant that I still understood the Kevin and Jess dynamics. Although it was a bit long in places I believe this just added to the suspense. I would recommend it to anyone and shall set out to buy t ...more
Cortney LaScola
I have loved all the books in this series... this one, not so much. It took me weeks to get through, it was all over the place, and didn't the story didn't flow. Disappointing.
Yolanda
Jessica and Kevin are busy with another serial killer as well as their personal lives. I enjoyed this one the most of the series.
Elaine
Great read. Will be certainly reading the earlier ones too
Vivienne

This hasn't been my favourite of the series enough it had its moments. If 1/2 stars were possible it would score at 3.5.

Part of the difficulty is the final denouncement did, as others have commented, a certain Scooby-Doo feel to its final pages which let down the build-up.

Still I am very fond of his overall style and the characters of Jessica and Kevin. I consider it a bit of a blip and hopefully if they do return it will be with a stronger plot.
Jim
A real page turner. Loved the ending.
Ali Maggs
I was excited to read this book, having enjoyed the other books in the series. This book felt a bit more like a whodunnit (with a Scooby Doo style reveal) but that's ok as the story is smart and there is a lot of good character development of Jessica and Kevin as this story involves Kevin's first case.

All in all a good book... It's not the best in the series, in my opinion, but it's a solid read.
Molly Carr
  • The Death Sculptor (Robert Hunter, #4)
  • Kill Zone (Lucy Guardino FBI Thrillers, Book #3)
  • Kiss & Die (Detective Johnny Mann, #4)
  • Midnight Rambler (Jack Carpenter #1)
  • Death Message (Tom Thorne, #7)
  • Watching the Dark (Inspector Banks, #20)
  • The Wrath of Angels (Charlie Parker, #11)
  • The Hundredth Man (Carson Ryder, #1)
  • Shoot to Thrill (Monkeewrench, #5)
  • Bone Thief
  • The Corpse Bridge (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #14)
  • Dead Silent (DC Laura McGanity, #4)
  • The Dead Room (Darby McCormick #3)
  • Chat (Joe Gunther #18)
  • Ash & Bone (Frank Elder, #2)
  • Close to the Bone (Logan McRae, #8)
Richard Montanari is the Top Ten Sunday Times bestselling author of The Rosary Girls, The Killing Room, The Stolen Ones and the upcoming thriller, The Doll Maker.

Series:
* Jack Paris
* Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne
More about Richard Montanari...

Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne (8 books)
  • The Rosary Girls (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #1)
  • The Skin Gods (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #2)
  • Merciless (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #3)
  • Play Dead
  • The Killing Room (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #6)
  • The Stolen Ones (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #7)
  • The Doll Maker
The Rosary Girls (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #1) The Skin Gods (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #2) Merciless (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #3) Play Dead The Killing Room (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #6)