Start by marking “Of Gravity & Angels” as Want to Read:
Of Gravity & Angels

Of Gravity & Angels

A precise and passionate collection by a brave new voice in poetry.
Published March 1st 2011 by Wesleyan (first published February 15th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Of Gravity & Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Gravity & Angels

Cody
Mar 21, 2016 Cody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poetry is a tricky thing. It might seems so small, and in actuality it is with only 71 pages, but 1 of those 71 pages require much more thought and consideration than entire chapters in most books. It's not something you can just breeze through and read casually. In fact, Of Gravity and Angels had a few entries that went above my head. What did stick and I was able to comprehend was awesome. Hirshfield has a lot of variety in this, but two main themes I was left with was death and sex. She write ...more
Daniel Urban-brown
My favorite Jane Hirshfield collection. Really, really, really, really, really lovely.
Al-anoud Al-Sarhan
Jun 09, 2016 Al-anoud Al-Sarhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
It's the first collection of poetry I've read by Hirshfield,beautifully written.specially part two : for what binds us.

“SLEEPING
intotheirownslow-dreaminghearts.
Wheretheravinehidesinitsownsteepness
nomatterhowlong,howfiercelywelove”

Bryn (Plus Others)
Apr 29, 2016 Bryn (Plus Others) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
"and gravity, scientists say, is weak."
Paul Varner
Master.
Sandra
May 13, 2012 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
An earlier work which reflects a fresh voice just matured, giving these layered poems a certain music that only comes at that juncture. Nursed this volume along and read a poem each night, some repeatedly. Especially fond of "Needles of Pine, of Morning," a reminder of how short a time we "rock" on this river and, though we encounter the difficulties, how we have yet to find out "how to be kind."
Brian
Jul 25, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luscious poems from this Bay Area resident, full of heart, delightful observances, and an ear for the music of language.
"Look at the alley there,/ between the buildings: how the motes dance down,/ slip between gravity and air./ See how the sliding days silt in with seeing, drown."
and brilliant little embedded pieces like:
"... sifted, particular sand."
Jimmy
Nov 01, 2012 Jimmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry-authors
I liked this a little more than her more recent book, so I'll give her a break with 4 stars. The title of the book sound like it was written by a fourteen-year-old. But when you read the title poem, it's certainly by a woman. There was a little less cutesy-wutesy in this book, so I didn't feel the need to pinch her cheeky-weeky.
Jessica
I am a huge fan of Jane Hirshfield. This is just not one of my favorite of her books. Too many horses and horse imagery for me, and lacking the clarity of her other books. But it was an early book, her second, I think, and still a good book. Just not a great book, which she has also written.
Maughn Gregory
What must it be like, to be able to think and feel and write like this?
Tiffany Morris
Jan 19, 2015 Tiffany Morris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, poetry
Sensuous and lush, Hirshfield's words illuminate the page with love, sex, death, horses, countrysides and beautiful ruminations. While perhaps not as polished as her later work, the poems are still remarkable and uniquely hers.
Bethany
Jul 10, 2014 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I don't like it quite as well as some of her later work, but it's still pretty darn amazing.
Amber
Jun 25, 2008 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite poems: To drink, The Hungry Ghosts, Dialogue, I Have No Use for Virgins
Cassandra
Apr 30, 2014 Cassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even the worst of these are splendid, and the best overwhelm me.
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Barbara Clubb
Barbara Clubb marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Ahnaf
Ahnaf rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Flower Conroy
Flower Conroy marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Pete Apple
Pete Apple rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Chantell
Chantell marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Matt
Matt added it
Aug 28, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Ally Whittemore
Ally Whittemore marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Seven Ages
  • One with Others: [a little book of her days]
  • The Midnight
  • The Ink Dark Moon: Love Poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan
  • Facts About the Moon
  • If I Were Another: Poems
  • Ash Wednesday
  • Collected Poems
  • The Singing
Jane Hirshfield is the author of seven collections of poetry, including Come Thief (Knopf, August 23, 2011), After (HarperCollins, 2006), which was named a “Best Book of 2006” by The Washington Post, The San Francisco Chronicle, and England’s Financial Times and shortlisted for England’s T.S. Eliot Award; and Given Sugar, Given Salt (finalist for the 2001 National Book Critics Circle Award); as we ...more
More about Jane Hirshfield...