Start by marking “Allan Quatermain #3: Allan's Wife” as Want to Read:
Allan Quatermain #3: Allan's Wife

Allan Quatermain #3: Allan's Wife

The third novel H. Rider Haggard's celebrated Allan Quatermain series, this book tells more stories of Quartermain's time in South Africa--presenting his observations about two dueling witch doctors, his father's death, and, eventually, the fate of his wife, Stella.

Excerpt:
For a moment I literally staggered beneath the terror of the shock. Then I roused myself from my desp
Published July 30th 2007 by A & D Publishing (first published 1889)

To ask other readers questions about Allan Quatermain #3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Allan Quatermain #3

Rob
Dec 25, 2010 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm working my way through the Quatermain tales in order of publication. If this one is any indication, they're going to get progressively stranger. Haggard has gone from a 'lost' African tribe (King Solomon's Mines), to a lost 'white' tribe (Allan Quatermain) to this tale of a rediscovered, abandoned marble city and Hendricka, the baboon-woman.

Nope, didn't make an error there. Baboon-woman.

What I love about this is that, other than some vague speculation by some of the characters, there's no re
Stephen
Jan 18, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Rider Haggard. I started the Allan Quatermain series with King Solomon's Mines and followed through until he was killed off. Thankfully when the books were being written, Haggard realized he had a great character that he had just murdered, so he wrote the prequels. This is one of those. It tells the story of Allan Meeting his wife, the jealousy of the woman raised by baboons, and her actions in murdering Allan's wife. His wife dies in childbirth due to complications of the baboon woman's ...more
H.L. Stephens
Perhaps not his most exciting work by far when compared to his other books about the Dark Continent, this book took some getting into. I am a huge fan of Haggard and so I read it through to the end, enjoying the language and art of the man who wrote it. I will most likely not revisit it again, though one never knows what one will do on a snowy afternoon. All in all, it was a good book.
CynthyB
I gave "Allan's Wife" three stars only because, (even though it was almost as riveting as other Haggard books), I was disappointed that this story proved inconsistent among his novels that involve the same character (Allan Quatermain) which have always been so wholly consistent in every detail. After reading "Marie," (a different story about Allan's"only" wife), I was expecting some allusion to the character "Marie" and there never was any. The story-lines were both similar, as well. Maybe Hagga ...more
Daniel
Nov 02, 2016 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, audiobooks
While Quatermain doesn't exactly discover a whole new race in this book, we still wind up with the typical "few against the many" climactic battle that occur so frequently in his stories.

Allan's Wife is more or less a tragedy, and it suffers a little from it's prequel status, as well as the narrative style, both of which hint too much at the ending.

The baboon battle was a little too far fetched for me, as well as the use of magic which breaks the historical spell his books have had up till now.
Amy
Sep 14, 2013 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating read, but obviously very dated. I got annoyed with the racism and the typical Victorian ingenue that was at the heart of the story. Mainly read because I had downloaded it for free on Kindle by accident and figured I might as well get through it since it was quick. I learned some things, and it wasn't entirely worthless, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are really into this type of story.
George
Jun 26, 2016 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Quatermain's story about his marriage to Stella. He often mentions her in King Solomon's Mines and Allan Quatermain and this fills in the details. Typical of Haggard's engrossing narrative style, it is a fantasy African adventure including magic and ghosts. It is a novella rather than a novel.
Russell Hayes
Aug 19, 2014 Russell Hayes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a collection of four short stories in the Allan Quatermain series. They are decent adventure stories that take place in Africa. The longer Quatermain books are better, because they pull you into the action more than these short tales by Allan, which are mainly just him relating particular hunts.
Mike
Oct 06, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another tale of Africa and the past values, perceptions and beliefs of a time long gone. Yes in today's world this book would be unacceptable however if you read it remembering that it was written in the Victorian era it is a forward thinking challenging book.
Philip Stringer
Eh. After reading "Marie" this story was a bit of a let-down. Somewhat sappy in romance and straining the degree to which I am willing to tolerate the fantastic, it definitely started stronger than it finished. Nevertheless, the story moved at a tolerable pace.
Richard
A typical Rider Haggard read but with a sad twist. The death of son and wife.
Not a Rider Haggard I an likely to read again, and I can only imagine what state of mind the writer was in when he wrote it.
Slinkyboy
Another fine installment in the adventures of Allan Quatermain.

And once again, the most interesting character is the native African Allan pals around with. This time it's Indaba-zimbi.
Arf Ortiyef
i really like the idea of this a lot more than what it actually is.
Simon Stevens
A little bit slower and less dramatic than the opening two novels of the series. Felt like a slog at the end.
Tom Aldrich
Jan 27, 2017 Tom Aldrich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book that's been on my to-read list way too long - Check.

Not bad. Easy read. Not as exciting as some of his others.
Kevin
Feb 04, 2012 Kevin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good short Allan Quatermain novella. I used it to keep myself sane while trying to get through The Old Curiosity Shop.
Mark
Apr 17, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smaller in scope than King Solomon's Mines/Allan Quatermain, and better for it. A more intimate, simple story. The character of Hendrika may well be more fascinating than that of Gagool.
Tiffany
Sep 04, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
sad tale from the early life
Jenna
After growing up reading King Solomons Mines I finally know what happened to Allan's wife. An enjoyable read, typical Haggard.
Sandi Mcnutt
Sandi Mcnutt rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2013
Sabrina Afreen
Sabrina Afreen rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2013
Benjamin Kowalsky
Benjamin Kowalsky rated it it was ok
Mar 30, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2010
Chathura Moladande
Chathura Moladande rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2010
Don Voorhees
Don Voorhees rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2010
James Benson
James Benson rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Marko Müürisepp
Marko Müürisepp rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Boris
Boris rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Tifa
Tifa rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Castle Gay (Dickson McCunn, #2)
  • Wormwood: A Drama of Paris
  • The Legacy of Cain
  • Sins of the Cities of the Plain
  • Madame Butterfly
  • The Devil to Pay (Ellery Queen Detective, #13)
  • Erewhon Revisited (Erewhon , #2)
  • A Thief in the Night
  • Master Humphrey's Clock
  • Journals and Letters
  • The Complete Stalky and Co.
  • The Nether World
  • The Lost Stradivarius
  • Diary of a Pilgrimage
  • The Valley of the Moon
  • New Treasure Seekers (Bastable Children, #3)
  • Silly Novels by Lady Novelists
  • Castle Rackrent and Ennui
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon
More about H. Rider Haggard...