Start by marking “Allan Quatermain #3: Allan's Wife” as Want to Read:
Allan Quatermain #3: Allan's Wife

Allan Quatermain #3: Allan's Wife

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Before there was Indiana Jones there was Allan Quartermain: the original explorer, treasure hunter, and adventurer. The Quartermain books have captivated readers for more than a century, spawning more than a dozen movies and a host of imitators. In this, the third Quartermain book, we get a more personal glimpse into the life of a legend!
Published July 30th 2007 by A & D Publishing (first published 1889)

To ask other readers questions about Allan Quatermain #3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Allan Quatermain #3

Stephen
I love Rider Haggard. I started the Allan Quatermain series with King Solomon's Mines and followed through until he was killed off. Thankfully when the books were being written, Haggard realized he had a great character that he had just murdered, so he wrote the prequels. This is one of those. It tells the story of Allan Meeting his wife, the jealousy of the woman raised by baboons, and her actions in murdering Allan's wife. His wife dies in childbirth due to complications of the baboon woman's ...more
Rob
I'm working my way through the Quatermain tales in order of publication. If this one is any indication, they're going to get progressively stranger. Haggard has gone from a 'lost' African tribe (King Solomon's Mines), to a lost 'white' tribe (Allan Quatermain) to this tale of a rediscovered, abandoned marble city and Hendricka, the baboon-woman.

Nope, didn't make an error there. Baboon-woman.

What I love about this is that, other than some vague speculation by some of the characters, there's no re
H.L. Stephens
Perhaps not his most exciting work by far when compared to his other books about the Dark Continent, this book took some getting into. I am a huge fan of Haggard and so I read it through to the end, enjoying the language and art of the man who wrote it. I will most likely not revisit it again, though one never knows what one will do on a snowy afternoon. All in all, it was a good book.
Russell Hayes
This is a collection of four short stories in the Allan Quatermain series. They are decent adventure stories that take place in Africa. The longer Quatermain books are better, because they pull you into the action more than these short tales by Allan, which are mainly just him relating particular hunts.
Amy
Fascinating read, but obviously very dated. I got annoyed with the racism and the typical Victorian ingenue that was at the heart of the story. Mainly read because I had downloaded it for free on Kindle by accident and figured I might as well get through it since it was quick. I learned some things, and it wasn't entirely worthless, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are really into this type of story.
Philip Stringer
Eh. After reading "Marie" this story was a bit of a let-down. Somewhat sappy in romance and straining the degree to which I am willing to tolerate the fantastic, it definitely started stronger than it finished. Nevertheless, the story moved at a tolerable pace.
Mike
Another tale of Africa and the past values, perceptions and beliefs of a time long gone. Yes in today's world this book would be unacceptable however if you read it remembering that it was written in the Victorian era it is a forward thinking challenging book.
Mark Smeltz
Smaller in scope than King Solomon's Mines/Allan Quatermain, and better for it. A more intimate, simple story. The character of Hendrika may well be more fascinating than that of Gagool.
Slinkyboy
Another fine installment in the adventures of Allan Quatermain.

And once again, the most interesting character is the native African Allan pals around with. This time it's Indaba-zimbi.
Jenna
After growing up reading King Solomons Mines I finally know what happened to Allan's wife. An enjoyable read, typical Haggard.
Kevin
Good short Allan Quatermain novella. I used it to keep myself sane while trying to get through The Old Curiosity Shop.
S Stevens
A little bit slower and less dramatic than the opening two novels of the series. Felt like a slog at the end.
Darcy
Distilled adventure and philosophy--very fine!
Tiffany
sad tale from the early life
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Rifat Sanjida
Rifat Sanjida marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Sajana Orthy
Sajana Orthy marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Abdullah+ Al+mamun
Abdullah+ Al+mamun marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Stevek
Stevek added it
Aug 09, 2014
Mandari Hindurangala
Mandari Hindurangala marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
  • The Nether World
  • I Say No
  • The Trail of the Serpent
  • The Blue Lagoon
  • The House by the Churchyard
  • Journals and Letters
  • The Red Skull (Doc Savage, #17)
  • Raffles: Further Adventures of the Amateur Cracksman
  • Master Humphrey's Clock
  • The Valley of the Moon
  • Toby Tyler, or Ten Weeks with a Circus
  • Silly Novels by Lady Novelists
  • The Complete Stalky and Co.
  • A Dog of Flanders (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
  • 800 Leagues on the Amazon
  • The Insidious Dr. Fu-Manchu
  • Witch Wood
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon
More about H. Rider Haggard...
King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1) She (She, #1) Allan Quatermain The People of the Mist Ayesha: The Return of She