The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)

The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes (Titan Books))

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  699 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The nineteenth century is about to draw to a close. In its place will come the twentieth, a century of change, a century of science, a century that will see the superstitions of the past swept away.

There are some who are determined to see that never happens. A body is found crushed to death in the London snow. There are no footprints anywhere near it. It is almost as if th...more
Published September 20th 2011 by Titan Books (first published 2011)

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleThe Woman in White by Wilkie CollinsThe Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan DoyleThe Moonstone by Wilkie CollinsThe Face of a Stranger by Anne Perry
Victorian Mysteries
83rd out of 89 books — 143 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie MeyerAnimal Farm by George Orwell
Surprise! I Loved It!
229th out of 291 books — 136 voters

More lists with this book...

gina
If you are expecting a facsimile of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's prose and approach to Sherlock Holmes--drop your expectations. This isn't that kind of book. More than being a crime fiction book, Sherlock Holmes: The Breath of God is more like a book about the supernatural and paranormal.

That's okay if you don't have any expectations. Holmes plays a relatively minor role in this story and disappears halfway through the book, only to reemerge at the end. His departure is reminiscent of his disappeara...more
Daniel Cann
‘The Breath of God’ finds Sherlock Holmes up against it again when a body is found crushed to death in the London snow with no footprints anywhere near it. It is almost as if the man was killed by the air itself.

Holmes and his loyal companion Dr Watson travel to Scotland to meet with the one person they have been told can help: Aleister Crowley.

With dark powers encircling them they gather the most accomplished occult minds in the country: Dr John Silence, the so-called ‘Psychic Doctor’; superna...more
Cate
I am a huge fan of the Sherlock Holmes canon, so I was a little skeptical when I began reading this book--I worried that Holmes and Watson would be far different from their original selves. I was wonderfully surprised once I began reading, and saw that Holmes and Watson were still their familiar selves. Adams did a wonderful job recreating Holmes' often unpredictable moods and Watson's reliable nature!

Again, being a fan of the original, earth-bound stories, I was a little leery about the use of...more
Ade Couper
Hmmm.....Always been a fan of Holmes whether in the original or in many of the tales written after . Holmes also lends himself well to Sci-fi/Horror/Steampunk as well (check out the collection "Shadows over Baker Street" which pitches Holmes into the world of HP Lovecraft...) .

So - to "The Breath of God" , which can be boiled down to Sherlock vs Aleister Crowley - with the faithful Watson by his side , aided & abetted by supernatural Investigator Thomas Carnacki . The story starts with 2 dea...more
Marleen
The book starts with Hilary De Montfort, leaving his club after a lucky evening gambling, on to be seen a short while later, desperately running away from something only he can see. When his crushed body is discovered in the middle of a London square it is unclear who or what may have killed him.
Shortly afterwards Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are visited by Dr. John Silence who tells them a strange story about a possessed little girl. A story that fails to convince Sherlock Holmes.
Holmes is fa...more
Kathleen
The only issue I had with Guy Adams- The Breath of God was that Sherlock Holmes came across as more of a secondary character. The only non fiction character was Aleister Crowley and in most of the scenes he appeared, he was little more than a cardboard cutout propped up in the corner. Out of all the characters I thoroughly enjoyed the character of Thomas Carnacki, the only one I was not familiar with before starting the novel and will be reading Hodgson's works. I enjoyed the adaption and will c...more
Andrew
Sometimes you just need to read a book for fun and this is a fun book. I'm not overly keen on using another author's characters as a springboard for new work, but Adams does it affectionately and deftly. There's not much to the plot, which is something you only really realise at the end, but it cracks along at a fair pace and whilst there are supernatural elements which might seem out of place in the Doyle canon these are handled sensitively and ambiguously when it comes to their veracity. I had...more
Maria Thermann
Review of “Sherlock Holmes, the Breath of God” by Guy Adams, ISBN 978-08576-82826, www.titanbooks.com,

A reverend take on Conan Doyle’s most enduring heroes, Dr John Watson and Sherlock Holmes, this book is a fantastic read on a rainy winter’s day. The only criticism I have is that there doesn’t seem to be a follow-up! Actually no, there’s one small niggling point: the novel should be called “Dr Watson, the Breath of God” for there’s precious little of Holmes in it, but what there is, well, it’s...more
Pamela
This book was very good. It was a Sherlock and Watson, although not so much Sherlock, until near the end. Since all that know and love Sherlock, also know he was never into the supernatural, or magic..unless it was slight of hand. Watson did a good job wandering the country side with three spiritualists, that believe the Breath Of God is to be released on mankind, and all the evidence points that dark magic is involved. All but Sherlock, who does his detecting behind the scenes. The conclusion i...more
Victor Gentile
Guy Adams in his book, “Sherlock Holmes: The Breath Of God” a Book in the Encounters of Sherlock Holmes series published by Titan Books brings us a new adventure featuring Sherlock Holmes.

From the Back Cover: The dead are rising

James Swenson
The title says "Sherlock Holmes," but the book doesn't: the characters named Holmes and Watson in The Breath of God don't resemble the famous detective and sidekick, nor do the secondary characters or the setting do anything to recall the work of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

The challenge of magic to rationality is presented and then, once the right number of pages have been written, dismissively explained away as hallucination -- apparently, multiple coherent episodes of shared hallucination.

Finally,...more
Kristen
I am always willing to give a try to an author putting a new spin on the Sherlock Holmes character, with whom I am enamoured. The description of this book offered the additional inducement of a supernatural component. Unfortunately, the result was a disappointment.

First off, the book would have benefited enormously from some proper editing, as there are numerous typos and grammatical errors throughout the book. Perhaps the publishers counted on the general populace's lack of knowledge in this ar...more
Nancy Newton
I think there is a very good story here but the beginning sentences were so confusing I had a hard time enjoying the book to quote the author "I was not there, let me be clear on that point. When presenting the career of my friend Sherlock Holmes to the reading public, I have most commonly recounted events as one who saw them with his own eyes. The one obvious exception being the accounts of his many clients." Watson was most definitely "here" in this adventure.
Erin
The good: The voice was fantastic, Watson was great, and there was a lot of action and suspense. The bad: Sherlock is gone for a significant portion of the story, and there's a lot of supernatural activity (that is not satisfactorily explain for a Sherlock Holmes novel, in my opinion). So it was an okay read and I enjoyed Holmes and Watson, but I won't be buying it for my own collection or rereading it anytime soon.
Jonathan
I thoroughly enjoyed this rather different Sherlock Holmes novel. I have read a few novels that combine the greatest fictional detectives and the supernatural and this was one of my favourites. Traditionalists may disagree, but if your looking for something different then this is ideal. Holmes and Watson team up with William Hope Hodgson's famous supernatural detective Thomas Carnacki and Algernon Blackwood's creation John Silence. As these are some of my favourite writers the homage to them wa...more
Mitch Goodkin
As Holmes novels goes, this was NOT my favorite. My wife and I had recently, via my coaxing, watch the 1985 movie "Young Sherlock Holmes". It seemed to me as if a huge part of the plot (which I surmised way too early on) was lifted directly from this movie.

Additionally, as I was reading, I had the nagging feeling that I recognized some of the characters being introduced; it turns out later, after reading the afterward, that the author did, indeed, "lift" this characters from other fictional work...more
Riju Ganguly
Guy Adams' first Sherlockian pastiche is a combination of many things. On one hand it is a pastiche, on the other hand it is a veritable exhibition of occult detecitves of the period (with the noted exception of Flaxman Low, who should have been there) who strike-up an uneasy fellowship with Sherlock Holmes to avert a disaster that was being brought upon by some nefarous occultists. Although the presence of Holmes was rather marginal (except in the climax), Watson gets to play a stellar role in...more
Edward
I really enjoyed this mix of some of my favorite characters from the Holmesian era. Guy Adams conjures up an Wold- Newton like England using characters from M.R. James, Algernon Blackwood & William Hope Hodgson. If you are a fan of that type of supernatural fiction and want a little Alastair Crowley thrown in for good measure you will enjoy this pastiche. Folks who want their Holmes sticking closer to the Canon might be put out as real suernatural events occur in the novel but, I thought the...more
Ken Cook
This was not a bad book. It didn't have enough Holmes in it. I figured it out in the first few chapters but after that the story pulled me away from what I thought was happening. In the end it was what I thought it would be.

The author said he didn't just want to clone ACD's writing style and he succeeded. Watson was the Watson I came to expect. Holmes was what I came to expect of him. But there was too much Watson and too little Holmes. In that way it reminded me of Hound of the Baskervilles.

T...more
Amy
Dec 04, 2013 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
This was an interesting book. It felt like a crossover between Sherlock Holmes and the TV show Supernatural, which I am a huge fan of.

Despite being a Sherlock book, Sherlock himself was absent for large chunks of the book, leaving Watson and friends to carry on alone. But I instantly liked Watson and became fond of some of the other characters, so it didn't bother me too much.

Actually, my biggest complaint was when Sherlock showed back up at the end and resolved the case. I really didn't want ev...more
Janice
Solid entry in the series, but I still like the one by Lovegove best.
Rog Harrison
I have been reading a few Sherlock Holmes pastiches lately. This one as well as characters created by Conan Doyle also features characters created by Algernon Blackwood, William Hope Hodgson and M R James. It also features a real person, Aleister Crowley. I am not a fan of late 19th and early 20th century fantasy tales but this is not a bad read and I quite enjoyed a lot of it.
Peter
A nice addition to the 'canon' of Holmes novels by fans and afficanandos. Adams spins a gothic tale around 'spiritualist' activities at turn of the century Britain and weaves Holmes and Watson into a nice bit of reason vs faith activities. A good read if you are a bit of a Holmes nut and I know from others that it is a good read even if you aren't a Holmes nut...
Deborah Vespo
Another Sherlock Holmes book. Didn't know what I think as I really like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and loved his stories. Guy Adams did a great job with this story and remained loyal to my favorite detective and his sidekick Watson. The author throws in some paranormal elements and Holmes is still able to wade through everything and figure out the mystery behind it all.
Kati
A good pastiche. I was surprised by the twist at the end, by who had actually done it. I didn't expect that. And the relationship between Holmes and Watson was quite sweet in this novel, you could feel that despite his harshness, Holmes really cared about Watson and that's important to me. This series is turning out to be rather interesting!

Cindy
I must say that I really enjoyed this book! I always love a supernatural story, as well as a story where the crime is always solved in a real-life way. Sherlock Holmes takes on Alistair Crowley in this quick, fast-paced novel! Watson and Holmes have always been my favorite sleuths, and with this case they don't disappoint!
Michael S.
First Sherlock holmes book i've read since the originals by Doyle. Wasn't sure if I wanted someone else behind the wheel with two of the greatest fictional characters ever. But this guy did really well. Just didn't like some of the unexplained phenomena in the end or a couple of the flimsy plot devises. Still a highly enjoyable read
Timothy Tobolski
Sherlock reluctantly teaming up with Dr Silence, Karnack and other 'Rivals of Sherlock Holmes', those penny-farthing detectives that sprang up like literary wildflowers while Doyle was penning his more famous sleuth. A bit more action-oriented but far closer in tone to the source than Guy Ritchie could ever hope to achieve.
Ken
I love when two of my favorite genres cross, horror and Sherlock Holmes pastiches. Sherlock Holmes, Aleister Crowley and Thomas Carnacki all in one novel. Good show!

The story was pretty decent but I felt a little let down with the explanation of the events.

All-in-all, not bad!

3 1/2 STARS
Gabriele Barr
So I made a boo boo and read this book second to the Army of Dr. Moreau, and I liked it...but I feel like the second was still a lot better. There is more Sherlock in the second one, but this is a good book to start with when it comes to getting a Holmes fix :)
Baker Street Irre...: Sherlock Holmes: The Breath of God 1 7 Dec 31, 2012 03:29PM
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Ectoplasmic Man
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • Sherlock Holmes Through Time and Space
  • The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventures of the Great Detective in India and Tibet
  • My Dearest Holmes
  • The Angel of the Opera: Sherlock Holmes Meets the Phantom of the Opera
Sherlock: The Casebook The House That Jack Built (Torchwood, #12) The World House (The World House #1) The Army of Dr. Moreau Restoration (The World House #2)