Blank-133x176
Piper at the Gate

Mary Stanton

Piper at the Gate (Heavenly Horse #2)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The sequel to Mary Stanton's first novel, "The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West", this novel continues the story of the desperate struggle for survival of the sacred Appaloosa breed of horses against impossible odds.
Paperback
Published November 1st 1989 by Hodder & Stoughton Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Piper at the Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Piper at the Gate

L.M. Ironside
YET MORE HORSIES!!! Hooray!

This book, the sequel to The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West, was ridiculously well-loved by me as a kid, and it has stood up to re-readings as an adult well enough, though I don't revisit it as often as its prequel.

It's another fantasy set in the realm and mythos of equines, filled with warring gods and brave mortals in peril.

also: HORSES!!! YES!
Teri
While i liked the characters in this book awhole lot more, i felt alot of it was too easy? not believable? It was like, the story is great, alot of potential, but the author didn't want to take the time to lead you there. Also,at the beginning of the book, I like Piper...alot. But by the end, he loses something, and well at least we still have the geldings. But I would like to see a third book, i would like to know what happenes to El Arat and her fillies. Piper is still young enough, he could r...more
April Helms
Jan 16, 2008 April Helms rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, young adult
Even better than the first book. This story revolves around Piper, the first son of Duchess and The Dancer. Piper is called on to rescue his sire and dam after they've been tricked onto the green path, and into a sort of limbo, by the Dark Horse.
Melissa
Feb 12, 2012 Melissa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I feel like I must have read this. I've read the first one about 3 times. But I honestly can't remember anything about it at the moment, except the cover. So it is on my 'to-read' list.
Sky
Sequel to heavenly horse. If you know a teen who loves horses get them these books!
Danielle
also read as a kid, its part 2 of the heavenly horse. :)
Grace
A childhood favorite of mine
Christina
Read this book when a was younger, and I still think of it as one of the best books I ever read.
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Kiser
Kiser marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Kari Smiraglia
Kari Smiraglia marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
LJ
LJ added it
Jun 20, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Alexis Lain
Alexis Lain marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Erika
Erika added it
Apr 16, 2014
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Mary Stanton was born in Florida and grew up in Japan and Hawaii, after which she returned to the United States and received a B.A. in Philosophy and Literature from the University of Minnesota.

Stanton’s career as a fiction writer began with the publication of her first novel, The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West, in 1984. A beast fable similar in tone and theme to Watership Down, it was pub...more
More about Mary Stanton...
The Road to Balinor (Unicorns of Balinor, #1) Sunchaser's Quest (Unicorns of Balinor, #2) Defending Angels (Beaufort & Company Mystery, #1) Valley Of Fear (Unicorns Of Balinor, #3) By Fire, By Moonlight (Unicorns Of Balinor, #4)