Start by marking “The Doomfarers of Coramonde (Coramonde, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Doomfarers of Coramonde (Coramonde, #1)

The Doomfarers of Coramonde (Coramonde #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  665 ratings  ·  23 reviews
MISSION to HELL

Just yesterday, Sergeant Gil MacDonald and his APC crew had been fending off an ambush in a Viet Nam jungle. In the middle of the firefight, some kind of magic spell had transported them to this Fantasy Land complete with flying dragons, wizards, crazy castles, and dispossessed princes.

They would stay trapped here forever unless they could rescue the sorcere
Published September 12th 1982 by Del Rey Books (first published March 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Doomfarers of Coramonde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doomfarers of Coramonde

Jim
This was a far better fantasy than I recalled. It's really held up well & had all the elements needed to make it an excellent one; action, romance, & excellent attention to the realities of war, although the hyperbole factor was quite high. The best fighters were also the rulers, so they tended to continually put themselves in harm's way. Kind of silly, like Kirk & the command crew of the Enterprise, but fun.

While the world is one with magic, there are other dimensions of which ours
Jim
3.5 stars. A fairly typical fantasy world, but it has some interesting elements not done in others. Well written & good. The sequel is very good, too.

There aren't a lot of characters or weird names cluttering up the prose. The magic is very magical, but has an internal logic & the idea of inter-dimensional travel, as hackneyed as it is, came across well.

Daley is similar to Alan Dean Foster, IMO. Good reading for a rainy day; interesting, amusing & just generally fun. I never expect
Bernard
I am a consummate Star Wars fan. Brian Daley wrote the scripts for the NPR Radio Adaptations of the original Star Wars trilogy. It was something I grew up with, and still listen to today. Truly, a masterpiece of writing, voicing, and audio post-production. Sadly, the world will not benefit from any new Daley material, as he has become one with the Force. But, when I saw his Coramonde duology at the local used book store, I eagerly grabbed it, as I'd not read any of his non-Star Wars work. This f ...more
Jeffrey
A really good example of what happens when a real soldier with all of his experience in arms and with modern weapons is transplanted into a fantasy world to take on evil fantasy magicians. Imbued with colorful likeable characters, great battle scenes, its just a really fun read.

Loved it.
Bob
I read this long ago and remember liking it so I gave it a shot. I’m pleased to say that it still holds up. It’s your basic fantasy with swords and spells, dragons and evil villains, but with a surprise when a summoning brings forth a US Army armored personnel carrier and its crew plucked right out of an ambush in the Vietnam War. The author does a good job at writing and world building and I like how the characters have some flaws. One protagonist is nearsighted and more than a couple have a te ...more
Chris Branch
Okay, I'm going to leave the four star rating that I gave it from the memory of reading it at 14. For certain aspects, I still find it well deserved. The way the contemporary characters are drawn into the fantasy world is as well-done as anything along those lines I've ever read, and this is also what impressed me most way back when. On the downside, the high fantasy aspects now seem a little derivative, but this is a minor complaint. The POV shifts so often that I guess it ends up being flat ou ...more
Steel_wind
This and its sequel, Starfollowers of Coramonde, by the late Brian Daley are not seriously deep fantasy. Neither incredibly detailed world building nor jaw-dropping character exploration are on display here. What IS on display is a great story, middle-of-the-road prose and a solid escapist read. These books are both "popcorn" fare - and very good popcorn novels, at that. Of all of the fantasy novels I have read, these are easily the leading candidates for conversion to film and both would make g ...more
Andy
A fun read for a summer afternoon - full of interesting ideas and characters.
Levi Muller
The Doomfarers of Caramonde seems like a cross between Prince Caspian and The Fellowship of the Ring, but with a twist.

A young Prince Springbuck has to flee the palace as he is to be assassinated and replaced on the throne. He travels the land and assembles a small team of warriors and wizards who help him take back his kingdom.

The twist lies in his wizard's ability to bring forth an APC and handful of troops from our dimension. The little army was picked from their battle in Vietnam to help S
Bob
I have a lot of nostalgia for this book but sadly it just doesn't hold up. It reads like an author's first book: the storyline is muddled, the settings are mishmash. I suspect that a re-edited version would really strengthen the work.
Shadallark
Although the book is not perfect, it is always very enjoyable. I have read this book many times and will read it many more I am sure.

The character development is smooth if somewhat predictable and the story is a feel good story of good triumphing evil.

This is a nice light read for those times when I want something fast paced, with likable, believable characters, and a story that leaves me feeling happy at the end (as happy as you can when reading about civil war in a fantasy realm).
Erik Graff
Jan 30, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Daley fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
During my first months back in Chicago, when still out of touch with most old friends and with the city itself, while living without a televison, phonograph or tape player, my sole entertainment beyond WFMT radio was reading. The closest location selling cheap paperbacks was just west on my Morse Avenue block. It hadn't much of a selection, but they--and I--needed money, so I read a lot of stuff I mightn't ordinarily pick up such as this fantasy novel.
Jamie
Excellent book for teenagers who enjoy hero and journey stories, which would be most of them I'd think. Well written and moves with good pace. Not a book with great depth. The 2nd Coramonde book completes the story. Re-read as an adult and enjoyed it as well but its not a book with sufficient depth to support multiple reads. Still gave it a 4 as I enjoyed it so much as a young adult.
Mei
This was an odd book - it starts out as a fairly standard fantasy novel (princes, magicians, lands in revolt, power-grabbing queens and stepsons) and somewhere takes a turn into the random as some soldiers from vietnam are sucked into this alternate reality. It's pretty amusing, the style of writing is slightly older (which sometimes works). It was amusing enough.
Ben
This is one of many formative fantasy books that I read at a young age. It deeply influenced a novel I began writing shortly thereafter. I don't remember the details of the story beyond an army platoon being magically transported into a fantasy world, so I can't give the details, but it is one of several books I would consider to be great foundational fantasy reads.
Todd
Brian Daley is quite under-rated as a sci-fi/fantasy writer. This duology is a classic of fantasy writing and keeps you entertained from page one until the end. As rich as anything written by Zalazny or Tolkein. The Starfollowers of Coramonde is the other book in the series.
Dwayne
Thoroughly entertaining. (Sorry if that sounds repetetive, but it's the highest compliment I can give to most books, especially when they are written for the purpose of being entertaining.)
Bill Sauer
The is the best fantasy novel that few have ever heard of, ever. I actually reread once every couple of years, as it is one of my all-time favorite books, period.
Dave
This book and its sequel are both pretty good. I could go into detail, but the heroes end up storming Hell in APCs. What more do you need to know?
Brian
Oct 30, 2008 Brian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To anyone who likes military stuff, and fantasy
Lord of the Rings meets the Viet Nam war. Enjoyed this book, and his Han Solo Trilogy set the standard in Star Wars books.
Troy
Pretty decent. Been a while since I've read it, but still got images from it stuck in my head....
Christopher
This was a great fantasy book and one of my favorite books! I have read it multiple times.
Peter
Fun read in the transplanted from Earth mode
Jimmyjon Hoctel
Jimmyjon Hoctel marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
  • Six of Swords
  • The Troll's Grindstone
  • Roadmarks
  • Seven Altars of Dusarra
  • Star Hunt (Star Wolf, #1)
  • Secret of the Sixth Magic (Magics, #2)
  • The Dragon and the George (Dragon Knight, #1)
  • The Well of the Unicorn
  • Castle Murders (Castle Perilous, #5)
  • A Shadow of All Night Falling
  • The Fellowship of the Talisman
  • Count Brass (Chronicles of Castle Brass, #1)
  • The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)
  • Dog Wizard (Windrose Chronicles, #3)
  • King Kobold Revived (Warlock, #2)
Brian was born in Englewood Hospital in Englewood, New Jersey on Dec. 22, 1947. A blizzard kept him and his mother at the hospital over Christmas, and the nurses sang "Away in a Manger" to them.

His middle name is Charles. He grew up in Rockleigh, NJ. His mother's name was Myra and his father's name was Charles. He has an older brother, David, and a younger sister, also named Myra. He had no child
More about Brian Daley...

Coramonde (2 books)
  • The Starfollowers of Coramonde (Coramonde, #2)
Han Solo at Stars' End (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #1) The Han Solo Adventures (Classic Star Wars) Han Solo's Revenge (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #2) Han Solo and the Lost Legacy (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #3) Requiem for a Ruler of Worlds (Alacrity FitzHugh & Hobart Floyt, #1)