Start by marking “Follow the Line to School” as Want to Read:
Follow the Line to School

Follow the Line to School

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Follow the line from the science corner to the library, from recess to show-and-tell. This new Follow the Line book-illustrated in Laura Ljungkvist's signature line style-takes children on a colorful, comforting, and altogether fun romp through the school day. With its unique modern design and engaging interactive text, Follow the Line to School is sure to appeal to both n ...more
Published July 7th 2011 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Follow the Line to School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Follow the Line to School

Barbara
Sep 25, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla, picture-book
There's a lot going on in this book, making it essential that it be used with a small group or maybe one-on-one. The premise is that readers will follow the line to school and different places there, such as the cafeteria, classroom, and playground. There is much for readers to do: Find the class pet, locate the letter that starts their names, figure out what an open book might be about, count the number of headsets, figure out what happens when blue and yellow are mixed, move through several ma ...more
Green Bean
Aug 15, 2011 Green Bean rated it it was amazing
An artful interactive trek through elementary school! There are things to read, count, spot, and wonder in every classroom! How many elephants live in the science corner? What color do you get if you mix blue and yellow paint? Which foods would you eat for lunch? Collaged kiwis, cartoon xylophones, and real kid drawings fill this book with color and charm. Parents will love exploring and explaining the grand finale Show-and-Tell page, which features a mini slug bug, matryoshka dolls, Deutsche Ma ...more
Mary Ann
Jul 24, 2011 Mary Ann rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the interactive nature of this book. It asks readers to follow the line around the school, inviting the reader to trace with her finger. The text also asks simple, but engaging questions about the illustrations (Fred is the class pet. Can you guess what type of animal he is?). These questions also engage the reader to connect exploring the pictures to their own school experience. This is a fun, visual treat that will engage some readers - but not great for a large group setting.
Sarah Adamson
Sep 30, 2015 Sarah Adamson rated it really liked it
I read this book to my daughter's kindergarten class today after getting a free copy from Brightly education resources.
I think it worked for the group as we didn't do all the extra activities but instead related it to their own classroom. Reading one on one or to a very small group would let the kids get even more out of the book including I spy type games.
A fun clever book that really worked for the early days of school to help enhance them learning about all different activities.
Hae Sun
This book would be a fun book to introduce at the beginning of the school year because it shows the similarities and differences between student schools and schools in the book. It is a great way to ease into nonfiction books because it introduces facts in a way that is non overwhelming. Also, because this book is in a series, I can use other nonfiction book in the series so children are able to make a connection
Dolly
Oct 19, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book that has so many interesting things to look at as well as a continuous line (similar to Harold and the Purple Crayon) that takes us throughout a school day. I thought perhaps this might be a bit too young for our girls, but they really liked it and would argue over who got to trace the line next. We'd make funny sound effects as we followed the line with our finger and we laughed a lot reading this book. We will certainly look for other Follow the Line books by Laura Ljungkvis ...more
Miss Sarah
May 16, 2015 Miss Sarah rated it it was ok
A great interaction book for back to schoolers or first time schoolers. Takes you through each classroom and asks questions that the answers are in the picture for. Might help some get over their back to school anxieties. A little long.
Taryn
Oct 28, 2015 Taryn rated it liked it
Great read-aloud book, though with two daughters, I have to specify which question is for each daughter (otherwise they fight over who answers). And I like the questions; they're more creative than I expected to find in this book.
Paula
Encourages young readers to follow the line as it travels through a typical school day, including story-time, recess, library time, and show-and-tell.
Joan Marie
Jan 26, 2016 Joan Marie rated it it was amazing
Creative way to teach about colors, shapes, animals, objects!!! Follow the line and answer questions along the way. It's even told in poetic form!
Alicia Scully
This book definitely has an adorable premise: follow the drawn line throughout the book to move from page to page. You move through various classrooms and school activities such as art, recess, and science. At each room, there are a series of questions to slow down the book and promote discussion between the readers. In this way, the book is interactive but it also makes it extremely long. It may be more effective for the child to turn directly to their favorite activity instead of going through ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
Not only is this book bright and attractive to look at, it's also packed with information and fun things to do. Readers can follow the line with their fingers, stopping every so often to answer a question, brush up on a concept such as colors or numbers, or guess at the types of animals that might live in a particular environment. It's the perfect book for introducing the school environment to a new preschoolers or kindergartner, and also a wonderful way to brush up on skills and reinforce new o ...more
Jamie Byrum
Follow the line to school and it goes through the day of a kid at school.
Cheyenne
The illustrations were good, but the "story" was lacking. It was just questions about the illustrations and school.
Debby Baumgartner
Jan 21, 2016 Debby Baumgartner rated it it was ok
Shelves: school
Follow the line as you do thru a day at school.
Apr 16, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
A lovely introduction to school for young readers. In this interactive and beautifully illustrated book, children follow the line from one school activity to the next. Each page also includes several hints to locate items in the picture. Recommended for children preparing for Kindergarten.

Recommended for one-on-one or small group reading, the pictures are simply too busy and the items to locate to small for young children to be able to effectively navigate in a larger group setting.
Elizabeth
Aug 05, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Definitely one on one book. Would be a great book for a young child going to school for the first time or back to school. Questions posed by author open the door for discuss between parent and child about the school experience. Also has interactive element..."what other animals shown here also live in the water?" then you must search illustration and decide which animals shown would fit into that catagory. Illlustrations are busy, but the question posed help the reader focus.

Teresa
Aug 17, 2011 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A fun exploration of all the things one could see and explore at school. Clever and exciting, with questions to encourage exploration of the ilustrations, beyond following the line. Fun details to notice (e.g. the schedule in the first classroom lists the classrooms and subjects still to come.)

Great for sharing, especially for someone who might have some jitters--it's so cheerful and involving, you can't imagine being worried or stressed.
Brigid Keely
Oct 16, 2013 Brigid Keely rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, 2013
"Follow the Line to School," by Laura Ljungkvist, is a gentle and interesting introduction to what young kids can expect at school. The book progresses through different classrooms and areas, with small activities on each page like color or shape recognition, mazes, early math concepts, etc. There isn't much text. What there is lends itself well to re-reads. There's so much going on in the book that there's a lot to discuss as well.
Tricia
Sep 01, 2011 Tricia rated it really liked it
My early elementary audience and I really enjoyed this interactive title where a line is traced through many aspects of school. Subjects ranging from music to math are included as well as lunchtime and recess. This is a title that will work fine with a group but also an excellent choice for solo enjoyment.
Emily
Aug 12, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-2nd
Another great back to school book for young grades (kinder/first). Good for teacher's doing tour's of the building...you could read this first and talk about what you might see when you walk through the building.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Very busy pictures - takes some concentration to focus on just following the line. Would be difficult to use as a read aloud - definitely need to read this as a 1:1
Donalyn
Small children will love the interactive nature of this book as they follow the line through a school day.
Janna Peterson
Nov 22, 2011 Janna Peterson rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great book to start the school year off to introduce students to the school setting!
Margie
Jul 25, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, art
Very interactive; somewhat of an I Spy book
Jan 11, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Hard to follow, too busy for me
Edward Sullivan
Jul 19, 2011 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Busy and fun like the others.
Megan