Start by marking “Hidden Children of the Holocaust: Belgian Nuns and Their Daring Rescue of Young Jews from the Nazis” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Hidden Children of the...

Suzanne Vromen

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  9 reviews

In the terrifying summer of 1942 in Belgium, when the Nazis began the brutal roundup of Jewish families, parents searched desperately for safe haven for their children. As Suzanne Vromen reveals in Hidden Children of the Holocaust, these children found sanctuary with other families and schools—but especially in Roman Catholic convents and orphanages.
Vromen has interviewed

Published April 11th 2008 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Children of the Holocaust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Children of the Holocaust

Staci
Really weirdly "organized" (I can barely stand to use the word organized in this review). I would have like to have several coherent stories from the children and the nuns, rather than...whatever this was.
Andrea Hickman Walker
This book is about the lower echelons of the Catholic clergy during the Nazi occupation of Belgium in World War II. While the higher levels kept quiet, the parish priests and nuns hid thousands of Jewish children and saved their lives.

Vromen undertook this research as a sociological study and the book reads somewhat like a thesis. She has interviewed one priest, a number of nuns, a number of hidden children and a couple of members of the secular resistance movement responsible for getting the ch
Alex
Excellent! It typically takes me a while to get into non-fiction books, but I picked this up and was intrigued from page 1. It details the lives of WWII's "hidden children", the more than 2,000 Jewish children who were removed from their homes and families and given new identities to avoid deportation and extermination by the Nazis. The book focuses on the many children hidden in Catholic convents, and is separated into four sections: the lives of the hidden children, the nuns and priests who ca ...more
Abby
I would have given this book a 5 star just for the content alone. The commitment of these individuals, reaching out to save Jewish children…disregarding the high cost of their own personal freedom and lives was truly remarkable and commendable. This novel is rich in history and these tales should never be forgotten. The fact that these tales took so long to see the light (and the reason being) was a bit disturbing.

The only fault I felt with this book was that it was a bit dry….fact based. I have
Kgparkhurst
In depth information which I had not known. Always like hearing more details that enlightens my view of the Holocaust.
Yonina
One of the fascinating stories to come out of the Holocaust....with all the memories of the pathetic search for the children who were so successfully hidden by the church while the Nazis did their worst.
Leigh
This book sounded good but was extremely annoying. The author was very cynical and very little nice things to say about people who risked their lives for these children.
Pam

Interesting read especially since this was my father's and uncle's experience during the war. Without the nuns and my grandparents' bravery, I wouldn't be here.
Alyssa Vandenberg
I think this is a great intro book for kids to read about the holocaust. It is not too violent or descriptive but shows them the bad about the time period it was in.
John
John marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Adrienne Olejnik
Adrienne Olejnik marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Renae Mosley
Renae Mosley marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Suzy
Suzy marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Inknscroll
Inknscroll marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Alannah
Alannah marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Marte Sofie
Marte Sofie marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Baskintm
Baskintm marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Wendi Ballew
Wendi Ballew marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Julia Nicely
Julia Nicely marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Elizabeth Ferguson
Elizabeth Ferguson marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2013
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Hidden Children of the Holocaust: Belgian Nuns and their Daring Rescue of Young Jews from the Nazis