Start by marking “The Black Gang (Bulldog Drummond, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Black Gang

Sapper

The Black Gang (Bulldog Drummond #2)

The Black Gang, Bulldog Drummond's black-hooded and black-leather-clad team of vigilantes, terrorizes British criminals.

This series inspired many later mystery and thriller writers, including Ian Fleming.
Nook, 160 pages
Published October 13th 2010 by Wildside Press (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Gang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Gang

Ellen
Jun 05, 2015 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read aloud to the same audience as the first one, a year and a half later. :D It was grand.
Gerry
May 23, 2014 Gerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is an organised and well-financed conspiracy to preach Bolshevism in England and most manufacturing towns in the country had a branch therein. In an attempt to discover who was the leader and to wipe out the organisation The Black Gang was formed with a huge, ugly man as its leader. His name was kept secret but it became clear to the inner circle that he was Hugh 'Bulldog' Drummond.

Drummond visits The Ritz and notices a couple of characters who he feels that he knows, one of them seemingly
Neil
Feb 26, 2013 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

What ho! Those dastardly foreigners want to turn jolly old England into a commie state and that bounder Carl Peterson has reared his ugly head again, good job those mysterious fellows "the black gang" seem to have everything in hand, especially that big chappy their leader, good old Drummond!
Drummond here has found his calling in life and has got things more organised than in the first book, where he blundered about more, but he is still very much the same character and once again the story prov
Karen
Dec 07, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want a good crime/fiction, adventure/story without gratuitous sex, Bulldog Drummond is for you. I like it! He's a 'clean' James Bond. Lots of humor and funny situations, but actual nail-biting adventure as well. Throw back to the days before animation when actors did their own stunts--that's what this series is like. Bulldog Drummond is a bored ex-soldier who still wants to aid King and Country, so he goes undercover as a rogue in The Black Gang. It's a great ride!
Tom Barnett
Feb 04, 2010 Tom Barnett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying this book.

"No—I am not. I am not the police, you wretched thing: I am the leader of the Black Gang."

This was a good story although modern readers should be aware that it contains some antisemitic passages.
Jim
Jul 19, 2011 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More Bulldog Drummond.
Alan Garbett
May 06, 2017 Alan Garbett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't recommend the Bulldog Drummond books to anyone (they are a very particular taste) but I absolutely love them. Epic, read of a very old book. Better than the very good first in my opinion.
Dfordoom
Aug 29, 2011 Dfordoom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
The Black Gang, by Sapper

The Black Gang was the second of the Bulldog Drummond novels written by Herman Cyril McNeile under the pen-name Sapper. Little read today, their legacy the fields of both spy fiction and pulp fiction in general can hardly be over-estimated

They had a definite Boys’ Own feel to them, but the idea of a man who appears on the surface to be a harmless buffoon being in reality a brilliant crime-fighter and the scourge of various international conspiracies, and the further idea
Larry Piper
This is the second bulldog Drummond books. The first one was so silly and I wasn't sure I've ever read another one, but then we saw some Bulldog Drummond movies and I decided to give the books a second chance. This was much better than the first book I think, although it was still pretty silly.

Somehow, in the first book, I missed the fact that bulldog Drummond was very large and very strong. Anyway, in this book he is in charge of the Black Gang. They are a set of more-or-less idle, rich, entit
Sem
Feb 23, 2017 Sem rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ripping-yarns
It pains me to give it 2 stars as I'm fond of Sapper but there's a great deal too much anti-Semitism and flogging with rhinocerous hide whips in this one. I'm not inclined to make an issue of racism in pulp fiction as it's there less often than most people think it is but in this case it's combined with a streak of brutality that I find it hard to overlook.
Emily
Apr 17, 2014 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
This is the first Bulldog Drummond story I've read, although the second in the series. I didn't know much about the book before I started reading so was pleasantly surprised by the story. The best I can describe it as is a watered-down P.G. Wodehouse writing an action packed adventure story. It wasn't deep or particularly well crafted but it was entertaining. I wouldn't recommend everyone to run out to read it, but I noticed my library has the first and third Bulldog Drummond stories so I might ...more
Josh Hamacher
Jun 05, 2012 Josh Hamacher rated it really liked it
This is the second Bulldog Drummond novel overall, and also the second to feature his nemesis Carl Peterson. In my review of the first novel I wrote "There are certainly no surprises here and cliches abound (although I suspect this series helped create what we now view as cliches), but rollicking good fun." That remains equally true of this second novel.

I read this as part of a four-novel collection available for the Kindle. I had complained about the bad OCR job in the first novel; this second
Patrick
May 17, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who would have thought that there was a precursor to 007? Bulldog Drummond is a likable character, there is the same slightly unbelievable aspect of the stories that 007 has in that everything is just a little TOO over the top, including the escapades and the escapes.
Ronald
Apr 27, 2016 Ronald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
read some time in 1994
Lawrence
Second in the Bulldog Drummand series.
Amanda Allen

As charming as its predecessor but too little Mrs. Bulldog. Dialogue brilliant as the first--maybe better. Loved it.
Brenna
Brenna rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Christian Stanton
Christian Stanton rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2016
Angela Light
Angela Light rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Justine Stewart
Justine Stewart rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2014
Linda Dotson
Linda Dotson rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2017
Dwight Tompkins
Dwight Tompkins rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2016
Jenny Schwartz
Jenny Schwartz rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2010
Ralph
Ralph rated it really liked it
May 21, 2012
Jude Lowes
Jude Lowes rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2017
Etabeta67
Etabeta67 rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2014
223rem
223rem rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2017
Rebekah Courter
Rebekah Courter rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sapper was the pseudonym of Herman Cyril McNeile, whose father was Malcolm McNeile, a Captain in the Royal Navy and, at who was at the time, governor of the naval prison at Bodmin, the town where Herman was born.

McNeile was educated at Cheltenham College and the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich and was commissioned into the Royal Engineers in 1907. He went to France in 1914 when World War I broke
More about Sapper...

Bulldog Drummond (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Bulldog Drummond