Ultra-Violet Catastrophe!: Or, The Unexpected Walk with Great-Uncle Magnus Pringle

4.64 of 5 stars 4.64  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Story by Margaret Mahy and Whimsical Illustrations by Brian Froud. Hardcover with 30 pages. approx. size: 7 1/2" x 10 1/4".
Published January 1st 1975 by Parents' Magazine Press

To ask other readers questions about Ultra-Violet Catastrophe!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultra-Violet Catastrophe!

Kathryn
One of my very favorite picture books when I was younger! Everyone should have a Great-Uncle Magnus in their lives!!!
Cheryl in CC NV
Magical. I can't find the words. Read the other reviews, then track down a copy for yourself and your little adventurers.

The fastidious Aunt Anne is Magnus' daughter. Of her, Great-Uncle Magnus says "Your Aunt Anne always ties my shoelaces as if she were choking the shoes to death."

He takes off his shoes and socks, with help with the knots from Sally, and goes wading. "Great-Uncle Magnus's pale feet sank greedily into the mud. 'Ah!' he sighed, 'there's something about mud, eh? Nothing else has q...more
Larissa
It all started with a visit to Aunt Anne Pringle's home, where for the first time Sally met her Great-Uncle Magnus Pringle. It was suggested that Sally and her Great-Uncle Magnus go for a walk. A walk seemed innocent enough; after all how much trouble can you get into on a walk...

Apparently a walk can be a very dangerous and adventurous thing. There are hedges and mud puddles, tree pirates and dams, and a large brown-and-white cow that chased them through a barbed-wire fence.

Sally and Great-Uncl...more
Tish
My mother first read this to me, and I was lucky enough to find a copy at a library book sale. If you can lay your hands on one, do! The story is enchanting, but the illustrations by Brian Froud (of Pressed Faeries fame) are what make this an exceptional picture book. You'll find yourself saying Seismological Singularity! at odd moments...
Sally
Sweet story about a kid connecting with a kindred-spirit adult, having muddy, tree-climbing outdoor fun, like all kids should.
Cassi
Possibly the absolute best children's book of all time.
Rebecca
An all-time favorite from my childhood! Magical!
Brigette
This book is pure magic. Every child should experience this book being read to him/her and having the beautiful artwork emblazoned in their treasure trove of childhood memories. I still own the copy I've had for over 35 years!
Kimberly
I didn't expect to be so delighted by this little out-of-print gem that I picked up at a thrift store this week. The kids and I enjoyed some laugh-out-loud moments while reading it.
Catherine Hollingsworth
One of the best books I ever read as a child. You will want your kids to own this book. And you will enjoy reading it to them out loud.
Nedinska
this was a book that I had when I was a little girl-lovely memories of reading it!
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Yvonne Dreptate
Yvonne Dreptate marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2013
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Kayleigh
Kayleigh marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Margaret Mahy was a well-known New Zealand author of children's and young adult books. While the plots of many of her books have strong supernatural elements, her writing concentrates on the themes of human relationships and growing up.

Her books The Haunting and The Changeover: A Supernatural Romance both received the Carnegie Medal of the British Library Association. There have 100 children's boo...more
More about Margaret Mahy...
The Changeover The Seven Chinese Brothers The Tricksters Bubble Trouble The Haunting