Start by marking “Aliens in the Family” as Want to Read:
Aliens in the Family

Aliens in the Family

Called "compelling" by Madeleine L'Engle and written by a two-time Carnegie Award-winning author, this story about a young girl in a new stepfamily, who meets a real alien, is being reissued with an enticing new goosebumps-style Apple cover for wider appeal.
Published May 1st 1994 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Aliens in the Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aliens in the Family

Feb 09, 2010 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was cold when reading this book, so captured a dragon to warm my toes with his smokey breath.
Frankie Rufolo
May 10, 2016 Frankie Rufolo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, worst, childrens
Evidently some people liked this book but not me. It gets off to a decent start, at first these seem like pretty good characters, but the sci-fi elements seem to lack imagination and it just gets sort of bland and boring.
Then there are bits that just made me go "WHAT?!" or "HUH?" when I read them and that doesn't mean it has much mystery. I guess if it has a "HUH?!" factor it will keep you reading, some people like books that are really strange but it just goes from weird to kind of bland again.
Eli Schuster
Dec 13, 2008 Eli Schuster rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eli by: Jsimpson
The beginning was too slow and the ending was too fast. And who would write a book on this kind of stuff?? I probably would have liked this more if I could have just picked it up, read in an hour, and then put it back down and moved on with my life... but we spent three months reading it in class. My favorite part about this book was getting a couple extra A's to avrage into my english grade... that's about it. Once or twice I got in trouble when we were reading it out loud in class and I was ca ...more
Sep 04, 2010 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at the library because a sticker on it said "give me a chance." The cover of the edition I read was much less scary!

I have to admit, I couldn't put the little book down. Very fun read! Set in Australia. The "time" of the book jumps around a bit. Easy for an adult to follow, but I don't know about a young un'.
Oct 11, 2008 Jsimpson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-lit
This is a difficult book to read as the setting is in three different time periods. It can get a little confusing. I love it though because it really helps to show how setting can affect a story.
I also find the message of the book to be awesome! Can't tell about it now though because my class is reading it.
Feb 14, 2014 Donald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kids
Read this as a kid after watching the CBBC drama adaptation :)
Had to resort to a posting on a 'Does anybody remember this . . .' message board to finally get the title of the show/book!
Rebecca McNutt
This little novel was okay but seriously lacking in vocabulary and decent character development. It was also a little childish for its intended age range.
Milda Harris
Jul 20, 2012 Milda Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book as a kid! Read it multiple times!
Jessica Broadhead
Jessica Broadhead rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Susan Creviston
Susan Creviston rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2010
coco rated it liked it
May 24, 2009
Sahil rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Sally rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2011
Caitlin Lillie
Caitlin Lillie rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Lisa rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2010
Eithne rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Fred rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2011
Hanna rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Nrodriguez rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2008
Erin rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2012
Ariel rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2010
Shaun Hawthorne
Shaun Hawthorne rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2011
Kayleigh rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Miriam rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2008
Kathleen rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2013
Nikki rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2011
Zelda rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2011
Jenni rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Hayley rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Liam rated it it was ok
May 26, 2010
Margaret Mahy was a well-known New Zealand author of children's and young adult books. While the plots of many of her books have strong supernatural elements, her writing concentrates on the themes of human relationships and growing up.

Her books The Haunting and The Changeover: A Supernatural Romance both received the Carnegie Medal of the British Library Association. There have 100 children's boo
More about Margaret Mahy...