Aliens in the Family

Aliens in the Family

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Called "compelling" by Madeleine L'Engle and written by a two-time Carnegie Award-winning author, this story about a young girl in a new stepfamily, who meets a real alien, is being reissued with an enticing new goosebumps-style Apple cover for wider appeal.
Published May 1st 1994 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Aliens in the Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aliens in the Family

Rebecca
I was cold when reading this book, so captured a dragon to warm my toes with his smokey breath.
Donald
Read this as a kid after watching the CBBC drama adaptation :)
Had to resort to a posting on a 'Does anybody remember this . . .' message board to finally get the title of the show/book!
Liz Schuster
The beginning was too slow and the ending was too fast. And who would write a book on this kind of stuff?? I probably would have liked this more if I could have just picked it up, read in an hour, and then put it back down and moved on with my life... but we spent three months reading it in class. My favorite part about this book was getting a couple extra A's to avrage into my english grade... that's about it. Once or twice I got in trouble when we were reading it out loud in class and I was ca...more
Cheryl in CC NV
A little too ambitious. Tried to include issues re' a blended family, history of the Maori of New Zealand, and an SF adventure. With humor & an identity crisis thrown in. The family referred to themselves as a "patchwork family" but they did indeed come together to make a relatively cozy whole... but the story, though interesting and worth reading, just didn't blend as effectively. Mahy has done some truly wonderful work, though, so I will continue to read through her oeuvre.
Liz
I picked this up at the library because a sticker on it said "give me a chance." The cover of the edition I read was much less scary!

I have to admit, I couldn't put the little book down. Very fun read! Set in Australia. The "time" of the book jumps around a bit. Easy for an adult to follow, but I don't know about a young un'.
Jsimpson
This is a difficult book to read as the setting is in three different time periods. It can get a little confusing. I love it though because it really helps to show how setting can affect a story.
I also find the message of the book to be awesome! Can't tell about it now though because my class is reading it.
Milda Harris
Loved this book as a kid! Read it multiple times!
Felix
Felix added it
Sep 16, 2014
Joey
Joey marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Gosia
Gosia marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Kim R
Kim R added it
Mar 13, 2014
Cory Day
Cory Day marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Jordyn
Jordyn marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Adisha
Adisha marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Riveral
Riveral marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2013
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013
Ramou Amopho
Ramou Amopho marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Margaret Mahy was a well-known New Zealand author of children's and young adult books. While the plots of many of her books have strong supernatural elements, her writing concentrates on the themes of human relationships and growing up.

Her books The Haunting and The Changeover: A Supernatural Romance both received the Carnegie Medal of the British Library Association. There have 100 children's boo...more
More about Margaret Mahy...
The Changeover The Seven Chinese Brothers The Tricksters Bubble Trouble The Haunting