Start by marking “Queen Without a Crown (Ursula Blanchard, #9)” as Want to Read:
Queen Without a Crown (Ursula Blanchard, #9)

Queen Without a Crown (Ursula Blanchard #9)

The ninth gripping murder mystery to feature Ursula Blanchard, special aide to Elizabeth I - November, 1569. Happily married to her third husband, Hugh Stannard, lady-in-waiting Ursula Blanchard is hoping to give up her undercover work for Queen Elizabeth l in order to enjoy domestic bliss. But when Hugh unwittingly endangers possession of his ancestral home, Ursula is f ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Creme de la Crime

To ask other readers questions about Queen Without a Crown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen Without a Crown

Judith Starkston
Fiona Buckley’s latest installment in her Ursula Blanchard mystery series set in Elizabeth I’s court, Queen without a Crown, will please her fans. (The author’s real name is Valerie Anand, and the first in the series is To Shield the Queen, 1997.) Ursula is back in action on a double mission, one from Elizabeth and a private one that Ursula hopes will reap the funds needed to save her husband’s estate from debtors. Once again champions of Mary of Scotland are rebelling in order to put a Catholic ...more
Lalla
Jun 17, 2014 Lalla rated it really liked it
This is part of the series about Ursula Blanchard in the court of Queen Elizabeth the first. In his novel, Ursula has two missions. She has an assignment from the Queen as well as a personal one that involves saving her husband's property.

The author recreates the English villages of the is period and makes the settings interesting as well as describing how clothes were produced and portraits painted for people so they could remember how their children looked. Something we take for granted with a
Margaret Sankey
Jul 17, 2012 Margaret Sankey rated it liked it
Ninth in a lightweight but well-done mystery series, this one has Ursula Blanchard (fictional bastard half-sister of Elizabeth I, with pink Tudor hair), found useful by Cecil and Walsingham as a spy over the course of the series, straightening out a young courtier's marital prospects while gathering intelligence on the Northern Rebellion of the Earls in support of Mary Stuart. Buckley clearly does her research, and doesn't stint on the reality of how long and how unpleasant any kind of travel is ...more
Jenna
May 24, 2012 Jenna rated it really liked it
I would actually give this a 3.5 if I could.
It is about time there was a new Ursula Blanchard mystery; I have been waiting for this book for far too long. I did not find it as compelling as its predecessor The Siren Queen but I read it quickly enough and could not put it down and enjoyed that it continued series without seeming to deviate from established characters and plots.
Jenni
Dec 30, 2012 Jenni rated it really liked it
The start of the book seemed slow to me, but the author once again does a great job laying out a tidy story with details that fall together intelligently. Loved the suspense she builds during a chase scene! I'm looking forward to the next book, but wonder what more Buckley can do with these characters that she hasn't already done.
San
Jan 07, 2013 San rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
An enjoyable read with a really interesting antagonist in Lady Anne - although I do want to know how she knew about Ursula's relationship to the queen. I am unexcited about her relationship with Hugh - and his constant need for reassurance that she doesn't want to return to Matthew is a little annoying.
Wynne
Jul 19, 2014 Wynne rated it liked it
I confess that this series is beginning to get a little stale for me. But I am committed to keeping up with Ursula and her family. I like the characters better than the intrigue. But Valerie Anand (aka Fiona Buckley) knows her history and so the details are fun too.
Bonnie
Nov 16, 2013 Bonnie rated it liked it
The joys of having a Nook - I found another Ursula Blanchard book, which are rare locally. Some of the best of Victorian mysteries in my view. I always have to look up some of the history because I get so interested in it. This one didn't disappoint me.
Kate
Jun 12, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
Continuing adventures and perils of Ursula, lady-in-waiting to Queen Elizabeth and some-time spy. Fun and a good read as usual. Now I have to figure out which ones I have read and go find the others!
Cathy D.
Dec 14, 2013 Cathy D. rated it really liked it

Just finished reading this one for the second time. I wanted to refresh my memory before moving onto Buckley's recent additions to the series. I thoroughly enjoy the character development, intrigue and plot twists.
Denise
Nov 01, 2012 Denise rated it really liked it
I am so happy to getto read more about Ursula and her adventures in the service to Queen Elizabeth I. I had missed this series and was glad Fiona Buckley wrote more. This is one of my favorite series and I was not disappointed with this book.
Paula
Jun 17, 2013 Paula rated it liked it
This was the first of the series I'd read. It was interesting enough that I want to go back to the beginning and see how it all started.
Julie
I have an emotional attachment to these books that undoubtedly makes me overrate them but they are perfect for me as warm, comforting reads.
Carol
Jun 19, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing
I am 3/4 finished, and so far Ms Buckley is following her standard formula for these books. They are light reading and the heroine is fun No sex in them so that is good
Georgia Lengyel
Jun 06, 2013 Georgia Lengyel rated it really liked it
This book started out slow, but the first half was only laying a foundation for the rest of the book. Then, as usual, Ursula and Brockley got themselves into one fine mess.
Linda
Nov 30, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
Another decent historical from Fiona Buckley. I especially enjoyed the food and utensil fight in a manor's kitchen.
Meg
Apr 08, 2012 Meg rated it liked it
I can't tell if this the last she will write about Ursala Blanchard. It was a good series, but I wouldn't be sad if this was it.
Beth
Jul 08, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it
So glad there's another Ursula Blanchard mystery after so long! Is it too much to hope there will be at least one more in the future?
Paula
Dec 14, 2012 Paula rated it liked it
Shelves: z2012-reads
I do enjoy this series but find Ursula and her husband's relationship oddly unexciting. I felt disconnected from the characters in this installment. Hope next one has a little more umph in it.
Alaina Ward
Alaina Ward rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2013
Joanna
Joanna rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Becky Finni
Becky Finni rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2015
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Anita
Anita rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2014
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Deirdre Mitra
Deirdre Mitra rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Face Down Across the Western Sea (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #7)
  • Sold Down the River (Benjamin January, #4)
  • Winter Heart
  • A Deadly Penance (Templar Night Mystery #6)
  • Cursed in the Blood (Catherine LeVendeur, #5)
  • A Place of Confinement (A Dido Kent Mystery, #4)
  • Murder at Westminster Abbey (Elizabethan Mysteries, #2)
Valerie Anand is a British author of historical fiction. Under the pen name Fiona Buckley she writes the series of historical mysteries, set in the reign of Elizabeth I of England, featuring "Ursula Blanchard" (whose full name is Ursula Faldene Blanchard de la Roche Stannard). Under her own name she writes historical fiction based on the royalty of England and the Bridges over Time series which fo ...more
More about Fiona Buckley...

Ursula Blanchard (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • To Shield the Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #1)
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
  • Queen's Ransom (Ursula Blanchard, #3)
  • To Ruin A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #4)
  • Queen of Ambition (Ursula Blanchard, #5)
  • A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)
  • The Fugitive Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #7)
  • The Siren Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #8)
  • Queen's Bounty (Ursula Blanchard, #10)
  • A Rescue For A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #11)