Lola's Fandango [With CD (Audio)]

Lola's Fandango [With CD (Audio)]

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Lola's Fandango An intimate parent-child relationship story which encourages young readers to discover their own potential and take pride in their talents. Full description
Published September 1st 2011 by Barefoot Books

Betsy
In my children’s room at the library the requests I receive at the reference desk from kids and their parents vary widely. On the subject of dance there’s a lot of variety. If kids want a picture book about dancing, they usually know what kind of dance they have in mind. Ballet. Tap. That sort of thing. However, since the rise of family friendly dance-related television shows like So You Think You Can Dance? kids are now discovering that there’s a whole world of dances out there that they might...more
Mary Ann
Like many younger sisters, Lola is jealous of her older sister Clementina. Lola yearns to have something special that she can do -- something that makes her stand out. When she learns that her mother used to dance the flamenco with special polka-dot high heels, she pleads with her Papi to teach her. Papi tells her that it takes duende - spirit or attitude - to learn the flamenco. “‘But I have that!’ Lola shouts and throws her arms in the air and makes a serious face.” Children will relate to Lol...more
Monica
Lola's voice on CD was whiny and annoying. The rest of the characters on audio and the accompanying music was well done. The story was good, but could have used a few more engaging illustrations.
Rachel Brown
This book i found very touching, a little girl living in the shadow of a beautiful sister who seems to have it all. including all the positive attention. But with the help of dad she find s not only something she is interested in , But something her mother use to do that she never knew about. And something her and her mother and father can share just between them. And when she get the dress and shoes it was her time to shine and she did.And the bond between her and her mother blossomed. A GOOD...more
Rosa
A story book for slightly older children that tells how Lola begins to learn the flamenco from her father after being inspired by finding her mother’s old flamenco shoes in the closet. She feels as though she’s not special compared to her older sister and learning dance from her father makes her feel special. She works very hard and performs at her mother’s surprise party. The art style is bright and colorful and does a good job showing the movement of the story.
Marcia
A nicely done picture book, with colorful collage illustrations and a spunky little sister. Lola wants to learn to Flamenco dance like her mom, and dad secretly takes her to the roof of their apartment building to learn. With plenty of chances for listener interaction, it made a great read aloud for kindergarten today. With a few Spanish words thrown in, it had a fun rythme. The illustrator, Micha Archer visits our school this weekend for a special program. Let's dance!
Amy
While I can't evaluate the story much, as I don't understand enough Spanish to do it justice, I did enjoy listening to the cd. The production included multiple actors voicing the different parts, including music, and the clapping, snapping, and foot tapping that embodies flamenco.
Alyson
Well who wouldn't want to take flameco lessons after reading this? I really enjoyed the story and the illustrations. I love The Wise Fool with the same illustrator, so it was nice to see similar work for a very different story. Bonus! - a CD with music and the story narrated!
Jen
Dec 07, 2012 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: espa-ol, pb
I read the Spanish version. The words are perfect for a children's book. The collage based illustrations are lovely. This book comes with a cd, so kids could read it on their own! bonus. This could teach children that hard work produces results.
Ed
Loved this book!!! Great story, and bright colorful illustrations. Wish I had been able to find a copy sooner, but they just got it in at our library. Looking forward to reading it at story time tonight.
Wanda
wonderful story, great illustrations! Lola finds Mamis dance shoes and wants to learn the flamenco...patience and hard work pay off!
Brenda Sanchez
Brenda Sanchez marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Sir
Sir added it
Nov 05, 2013
Nicole Nuse
Nicole Nuse marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Lilia Acero
Lilia Acero marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2013
Zenio Mejia
Zenio Mejia marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2013
Manthan Patel
Manthan Patel marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2013
Dulce
Dulce added it
Apr 10, 2013
Yukari
Yukari added it
Apr 08, 2013
Leticia
Leticia marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Parrot Tico Tango Lolas Fandango Sppb Lola's Fandango. Written by Anna Witte