Start by marking “Lola's Fandango” as Want to Read:
Lola's Fandango

Lola's Fandango

Lola's Fandango An intimate parent-child relationship story which encourages young readers to discover their own potential and take pride in their talents. Full description
Published September 1st 2011 by Barefoot Books

To ask other readers questions about Lola's Fandango, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lola's Fandango

Robin
Apr 26, 2014 Robin rated it it was amazing
TED 8650 Children's Literature

Text to Self: Lola learns something new, flamenco dancing, by practicing with her Papi. I also enjoy learning new artistic things from people. I liked reading about Lola's discovery.

Discussion Questions:
1. What does Lola learn to do?
2. Retell the story in your own words.
3. What would result if Lola didn't practice with her father?
4. What motive is there for Lola learning to dance flamenco?
5. Justify Papi's actions in the story.
6. Rewrite the story from Clementina's
Betsy
Jun 24, 2011 Betsy rated it really liked it
In my children’s room at the library the requests I receive at the reference desk from kids and their parents vary widely. On the subject of dance there’s a lot of variety. If kids want a picture book about dancing, they usually know what kind of dance they have in mind. Ballet. Tap. That sort of thing. However, since the rise of family friendly dance-related television shows like So You Think You Can Dance? kids are now discovering that there’s a whole world of dances out there that they might ...more
Gayle Swift
Jul 18, 2016 Gayle Swift rated it really liked it
Lola's Fandango by Anna Witte and illustrated by Micha Archer captures both a child's struggle with sibling rivalry and a yearning to shine as well as a celebration of one's culture. Lola idolizes her sister Clementina and is also jealous of her skills, talents and position in the family. She wonders how she will ever be able to compete.
In a moment of mischief, Lola sneaks into her mother's closet and discovers an old pair of Flamenco dancing shoes. The shoes prompt her curiosity. She learns tha
Mary Ann
Like many younger sisters, Lola is jealous of her older sister Clementina. Lola yearns to have something special that she can do -- something that makes her stand out. When she learns that her mother used to dance the flamenco with special polka-dot high heels, she pleads with her Papi to teach her. Papi tells her that it takes duende - spirit or attitude - to learn the flamenco. “‘But I have that!’ Lola shouts and throws her arms in the air and makes a serious face.” Children will relate to Lol ...more
Taylor Anderson
Lola's Fandango provides glimpses into Spanish culture, which is why it is on my multicultural shelf. This story is about a young girl who aspires to be like her older sister, but ends up realizing she has a talent of her own: the ability to dance the fandango as taught by her father.

The writing traits evident in this story include idea, word choice, and sentence fluency. There is a rhythm to the way the book is written, and the author includes words that represent sounds and movements of the d
Rachel Brown
Oct 24, 2013 Rachel Brown rated it it was amazing
This book i found very touching, a little girl living in the shadow of a beautiful sister who seems to have it all. including all the positive attention. But with the help of dad she find s not only something she is interested in , But something her mother use to do that she never knew about. And something her and her mother and father can share just between them. And when she get the dress and shoes it was her time to shine and she did.And the bond between her and her mother blossomed. A GOOD ...more
Marcia
May 04, 2012 Marcia rated it really liked it
A nicely done picture book, with colorful collage illustrations and a spunky little sister. Lola wants to learn to Flamenco dance like her mom, and dad secretly takes her to the roof of their apartment building to learn. With plenty of chances for listener interaction, it made a great read aloud for kindergarten today. With a few Spanish words thrown in, it had a fun rythme. The illustrator, Micha Archer visits our school this weekend for a special program. Let's dance!
Rosa
Apr 12, 2013 Rosa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story book for slightly older children that tells how Lola begins to learn the flamenco from her father after being inspired by finding her mother’s old flamenco shoes in the closet. She feels as though she’s not special compared to her older sister and learning dance from her father makes her feel special. She works very hard and performs at her mother’s surprise party. The art style is bright and colorful and does a good job showing the movement of the story.
Maritza Mejia
Apr 13, 2016 Maritza Mejia rated it it was amazing
When Lola learns that her mother used to dance Flamenco with special polka-dot high heels, she pleads with her Dad to teach her. Children will enjoy how Papi secretly taught her with claps and repeats of rhythms the dance. He also bought her a beautiful dress to show her talent to the family. The author gives a good introduction and remarks the Spanish tradition of Flamenco and Fandango.
Wooden Horse
I think this one will be a hard sell for our customers. I see it as a "library book" versus one to have at home to be read over and over again which is a shame because it is a really fun read aloud albeit slightly long.
Amy
Jan 22, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
While I can't evaluate the story much, as I don't understand enough Spanish to do it justice, I did enjoy listening to the cd. The production included multiple actors voicing the different parts, including music, and the clapping, snapping, and foot tapping that embodies flamenco.
KarenMLISt
This is a sweet story and makes a fun read aloud if you allow children to join in with claps and repeats of rhythms. For that reason alone, children will enjoy it but it's also a wonderful intro to this Spanish tradition of flamenco with a good author note abount that (and fandago) at the end.
Jen
Dec 07, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb, espa-ol
I read the Spanish version. The words are perfect for a children's book. The collage based illustrations are lovely. This book comes with a cd, so kids could read it on their own! bonus. This could teach children that hard work produces results.
Ed
Mar 27, 2012 Ed rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!!! Great story, and bright colorful illustrations. Wish I had been able to find a copy sooner, but they just got it in at our library. Looking forward to reading it at story time tonight.
Alyson
Nov 23, 2011 Alyson rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Well who wouldn't want to take flameco lessons after reading this? I really enjoyed the story and the illustrations. I love The Wise Fool with the same illustrator, so it was nice to see similar work for a very different story. Bonus! - a CD with music and the story narrated!
Julie
Feb 18, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
We liked this, particularly the illustrations and the fabric depicted. It was a bit long but held attention. We did not listen to the accompanying CD.
Wanda
Aug 23, 2012 Wanda rated it it was amazing
wonderful story, great illustrations! Lola finds Mamis dance shoes and wants to learn the flamenco...patience and hard work pay off!
Monica
Lola's voice on CD was whiny and annoying. The rest of the characters on audio and the accompanying music was well done. The story was good, but could have used a few more engaging illustrations.
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2013
M Lee
M Lee rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2015
Valarie
Valarie rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Karina Rodriguez
Karina Rodriguez rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2016
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2012
Shana
Shana rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2013
John
John rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2011
Adriana
Adriana rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2012
Sebi
Sebi rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016