Start by marking “The Wise Fool: Fables from the Islamic World” as Want to Read:
The Wise Fool: Fables from the Islamic World

The Wise Fool: Fables from the Islamic World

Meet Mulla Nasruddin, a legendary character whose adventures and misadventures are enjoyed across the Islamic world. This witty collection of stories portrays his eccentric, engaging and irreverent character. Nasruddin always has a twinkle in his eye, a sliver of wisdom in his ramblings, and a few good surprises up his sleeve!
Published September 1st 2011 by Barefoot Books (first published August 1st 2011)

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Finally, a beautiful brightly illustrated collection of thoughtful stories from the Islamic world for children. This book tells stories about Mulla Nasruddin, a spiritual teacher who travels and faces difficulties head on, using his clever mind.

“’What’s the matter, Mulla?’ he asked. ‘All is well, I hope?’
‘Why shouldn’t all be well?’ snapped the Mulla, hurrying down the road. He knew very well that his nosy neighbor was not interested in his welfare, but wanted a bit of gossip.”
Barbara Lovejoy
Dec 14, 2011 Barbara Lovejoy rated it it was amazing
This book was another serendipitous experience--saw it at the library when picking up another book. I was attracted to it because I enjoy fables, including those that come from other cultures. Loved this book! Not only did I enjoy the stories but the illustrations were BEAUTIFUL! This is a book I might need to buy.
Esther Moss
Multicultural literature: these stories come from Islamic tradition and the setting of them all is the Middle East. This collection of stories from the middle east follows the adventures of Mulla Nasrudin, a traditional character from Islamic folktales. Although he appears in each tale, his characteristic shift so that he is sometimes funny, sometimes, moralistic, sometimes a trickster. Each story teaches a lesson or moral.

Traits: Organization. The classic fable method where a lesson is learned
Rachel
I really enjoyed this collection of short tales about Mulla Nasruddin, also called Khoja. His stories are found all over the Islamic world, including the Middle East, Turkey, Iran, and many other places. He was believed to be a traveling Sufi from Turkey. The author, in the introduction to the book, describes him as "the social and spiritual conscience of his community...and as the wise fool." For more information on him, check out this website: http://www.rodneyohebsion.com/mulla-n...

I had hear
Anna
1. SUMMARY – Mulla Nasruddin is a wise man who often disguises himself with foolish behavior. Although his presence is found as the main character in each tale, his situation is different. In one story he is a judge. In another, he matches wits with a group of young people.
2. GENRE – This is an example of a picture book, traditional fiction and multicultural fiction. Each tale enlightens us with a lesson originating in the Middle East.
3. LITERARY CONCEPTS – character trait, plot, dialogue
4. TRAI
Katherine Cowley
Jul 19, 2017 Katherine Cowley rated it it was amazing
Mulla Nasruddin invents a flock of one-legged geese to justify accidentally eating part of his offering to the emperor, he keeps an entire year of financial records on pastries, and he believes that rain should, and absolutely should not, be run through. This is a beautifully told and wonderfully illustrated collection of fables about a legendary Islamic character, Mulla Nasruddin.

Mulla is a bit of an everyman--he's not wealthy and not poor, and sometimes fortune goes his way and at other times
KitaabWorld.com
May 25, 2017 KitaabWorld.com rated it it was amazing
This book is a great introduction to Mulla Nasruddin, a legendary character whose adventures and misadventures are enjoyed across the Islamic World. Eccentric, engaging and irreverent, Nasruddin always has a twinkle in his eye, a sliver of wisdom in his ramblings and a few good surprises up his sleeve.

See other books in our Folktales from Islamic Traditions booklist here: https://kitaabworld.com/blogs/news/fo...
Brenda
Feb 13, 2017 Brenda rated it liked it
I got this book to add to our class fable collection - we are nearing the end of a fable unit and I was looking for variety. I need to explore the world of Mulla Nasruddin more. These do not end with a direct, obvious lesson. I would like to learn more now that I've sample a few. I wonder what kids in 3E will think. I wonder what questions they might have.
Dolly
Apr 05, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful collection of short stories that have touches of wisdom, humor and whimsy. Some of the stories were more successful with our girls than others, but on the whole, we really liked them. Several of the stories were somewhat familiar to us and we knew what to expect, even if the tale was slightly different from what we'd read before. My favorite story was A Fair Reward, our oldest said that her favorite was The Price of Steam and our youngest just said that she liked them all.

I
Yahya Han
Mulla Nasruddin, a legendary character whose adventures and misadventures are enjoyed across the Islamic world. This collection of stories portrays his eccentric, engaging and irreverent character and his senses of humor. One day, Nasruddin head needs to be shaved and he goes to the barber shop. When the barber has nicked his skin, he says sorry and sticks cotton to the cut. When he cuts his head fourth time, hodja leaps out of his chair and rushes to the door. “Khoja, wait!” called the barber. ...more
Lacie Griffin
May 23, 2012 Lacie Griffin rated it it was ok
This book won the 2012 South Asia Book Award for Children’s and Young Adult Literature and honestly, I don't know why. The illustrations are beautiful, but the stories are HORRIBLE. The fables are confusing and many just don't make sense. The artwork was beautiful, but I had a hard time finishing the book. The book claims that Mulla Nasruddin is a legendary character of the Islamic world. His legendary misadventures must not have been in this book. I give it a 2 only because of the illustrator.
Sean Dugan-Strout
Dec 06, 2013 Sean Dugan-Strout rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, traditional
This is a collection of stories as told by the character, Mulla Nasruddin. This is a fun and eccentric collection of his adventures. I would recommend this book to older elementary school-aged children, mostly because of the word pronunciations. Luckily, there is a glossary in the back that helps the reader understand some of the unknown words. A quirky introduction to Islamic culture.

Dearborn Public Library Youth Services
Some selections out of this book work better than others. Make sure you pre-read the stories and tell, more than read them. Best for older children, 3rd grade and above. There is a pronounciation guide in the back.
Betsy Leonard
Traditional Literature 2011
I loved the beautiful, brightly colored illustrations in this book of fables centered around the Islamic mullah. The stories are interesting and teach helpful lessons about human nature. There are also a glossary and a pronunciation guide in the back of the book.
Alyson
Aug 29, 2011 Alyson rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Colorful and funny. The wise fool is great, very likable character.
Crystal
Very amusing fables - so glad to learn about Mulla Nasruddin.
Victoria-
Victoria- rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Stephanie Robillard
Stephanie Robillard rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Rahil Baxamusa
Rahil Baxamusa rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Jafar
Jafar rated it really liked it
May 01, 2014
Mobolaji Salako
Mobolaji Salako rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2013
Grace
Grace rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2017
Debrarian
Debrarian rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2012
Meredith
Meredith rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2012
Ed
Ed rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2011
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2012
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2011
Elahrairah
Elahrairah rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2015
Avan
Avan rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016