Start by marking “The Wise Fool: Fables from the Islamic World” as Want to Read:
The Wise Fool: Fables from the Islamic World

The Wise Fool: Fables from the Islamic World

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Meet Mulla Nasruddin, a legendary character whose adventures and misadventures are enjoyed across the Islamic world. This witty collection of stories portrays his eccentric, engaging and irreverent character. Nasruddin always has a twinkle in his eye, a sliver of wisdom in his ramblings, and a few good surprises up his sleeve!
Published September 1st 2011 by Barefoot Books (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Wise Fool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wise Fool

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Finally, a beautiful brightly illustrated collection of thoughtful stories from the Islamic world for children. This book tells stories about Mulla Nasruddin, a spiritual teacher who travels and faces difficulties head on, using his clever mind.

“’What’s the matter, Mulla?’ he asked. ‘All is well, I hope?’
‘Why shouldn’t all be well?’ snapped the Mulla, hurrying down the road. He knew very well that his nosy neighbor was not interested in his welfare, but wanted a bit of gossip.”
Barbara Lovejoy
This book was another serendipitous experience--saw it at the library when picking up another book. I was attracted to it because I enjoy fables, including those that come from other cultures. Loved this book! Not only did I enjoy the stories but the illustrations were BEAUTIFUL! This is a book I might need to buy.
Rachel
I really enjoyed this collection of short tales about Mulla Nasruddin, also called Khoja. His stories are found all over the Islamic world, including the Middle East, Turkey, Iran, and many other places. He was believed to be a traveling Sufi from Turkey. The author, in the introduction to the book, describes him as "the social and spiritual conscience of his community...and as the wise fool." For more information on him, check out this website: http://www.rodneyohebsion.com/mulla-n...

I had hear
Dolly
Apr 06, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful collection of short stories that have touches of wisdom, humor and whimsy. Some of the stories were more successful with our girls than others, but on the whole, we really liked them. Several of the stories were somewhat familiar to us and we knew what to expect, even if the tale was slightly different from what we'd read before. My favorite story was A Fair Reward, our oldest said that her favorite was The Price of Steam and our youngest just said that she liked them all.

I
Yahya Han
Mulla Nasruddin, a legendary character whose adventures and misadventures are enjoyed across the Islamic world. This collection of stories portrays his eccentric, engaging and irreverent character and his senses of humor. One day, Nasruddin head needs to be shaved and he goes to the barber shop. When the barber has nicked his skin, he says sorry and sticks cotton to the cut. When he cuts his head fourth time, hodja leaps out of his chair and rushes to the door. “Khoja, wait!” called the barber. ...more
Lacie Griffin
This book won the 2012 South Asia Book Award for Children’s and Young Adult Literature and honestly, I don't know why. The illustrations are beautiful, but the stories are HORRIBLE. The fables are confusing and many just don't make sense. The artwork was beautiful, but I had a hard time finishing the book. The book claims that Mulla Nasruddin is a legendary character of the Islamic world. His legendary misadventures must not have been in this book. I give it a 2 only because of the illustrator.
Sean Dugan-Strout
This is a collection of stories as told by the character, Mulla Nasruddin. This is a fun and eccentric collection of his adventures. I would recommend this book to older elementary school-aged children, mostly because of the word pronunciations. Luckily, there is a glossary in the back that helps the reader understand some of the unknown words. A quirky introduction to Islamic culture.

Betsy Leonard
Traditional Literature 2011
I loved the beautiful, brightly colored illustrations in this book of fables centered around the Islamic mullah. The stories are interesting and teach helpful lessons about human nature. There are also a glossary and a pronunciation guide in the back of the book.
Dearborn Public Library Youth Services
Some selections out of this book work better than others. Make sure you pre-read the stories and tell, more than read them. Best for older children, 3rd grade and above. There is a pronounciation guide in the back.
Crystal
Very amusing fables - so glad to learn about Mulla Nasruddin.
Alyson
Colorful and funny. The wise fool is great, very likable character.
Anne
Anne added it
Aug 01, 2015
W.h. Benjamin
W.h. Benjamin marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Vilma
Vilma marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Apr 21, 2014
Kirsten Joosten
Kirsten Joosten marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Daniele Smalls
Daniele Smalls marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Chandmin
Chandmin marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Handsome Heroines: Women as Men in Folklore Sabiduria Diosa SC Stories from the Opera Demoni, dei e santi uomini della mitologia indiana