Start by marking “The Shop of Shades and Secrets” as Want to Read:
The Shop of Shades and Secrets

The Shop of Shades and Secrets (Connected Books #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  209 ratings  ·  35 reviews
When Fiona Murphy inherits a small antiques shop from an old man she met only once, she’s filled with surprise, confusion and delight—and a little bit of terror at having a new responsibility in a life she prefers to be free and easy.

As she takes over ownership of the quaint shop, odd things begin to happen. Lights come on and off by themselves, even when they are unplugg
Published May 3rd 2011 by Colleen Gleason, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Shop of Shades and Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shop of Shades and Secrets

Tarra
Finally, a contemporary book I enjoyed! And a romance that didn't have corsets, pantaloons, or quivering wombs (more on that later).

This was a really good book, heavy on the romance, much lighter on the paranormal. I enjoyed the character development and watching the relationship unfold between Fiona and Gideon. Their relationship never felt rushed, it seemed very organic and natural. Fiona was described as free spirited, New Age-y, but she was also very smart, strong willed, and organized. Gid
M.J. Fredrick
I LOVE LOVE LOVE when an uptight hero falls for a free-spirit heroine. It is so much fun to watch him learn how to bend. What was great about Fiona, though, was she wasn't free-spirit and flighty. She was smart and gutsy, and while she faced some surprises, she did it with a brave face and accepted the change. Gideon (I love a hero named Gideon) doesn't know what to make of her, but his compulsion to figure it out drives the romance.

The ghost element was just enough to send chills up my spine,
Stacy
It was a decent read, but:

1.)The two main characters lacked any real spark
2.)THe mystery was way too predictable

Overall it was a pleasant read, but not great.
Kristin
This was my first book by this author. I liked it. I went and got the next one which was about the main characters brother. Will be reading it soon.
Issa
Great story, very engaging characters!
Michelle
Fiona is surprised to receive a call that she has been left an inheritance by wealthy man who owned an antique store. She has only met him once, when she ducked into his store to avoid a storm. She finds herself surprisingly attracted to the lawyer managing the estate, but finds him a bit full of himself. Fiona is shocked that the store is bequeathed to her and decides to take the plunge to run it. She finds that there are some mysterious and spooky happenings in the store and is shocked to find ...more
Turtles
I had come across a copy of this book on my Kindle, I recall reading the sample last year, so I guess I had acquired it at some point. I liked the premise of the book, and I had liked the sample. I started reading it and discovered it was way more of a romance than the mystery I recalled. But I gamely kept on. The characters were interesting and I liked the insights the author took in getting to know the main characters, they are a good match. I didn't enjoy their petty assumptions or jealousies ...more
Rhapsody
This book was unusually well-written for the genre, but in a weird way I felt that the careful and detailed prose was intended to compensate for a fairly weak love story. There wasn't any amazing spark between the characters, even though the author kept on telling us there was. Or rather, maybe there was an incredible spark between them, but it wasn't written in a way that made it interesting to me as a reader.

This is basically a contemporary and realistic romance story with a few touches of par
Fiordiligii
My first Colleen Gleason started out great but, unfortunately, the story lost some of its smoothness towards the ending. I initially bought the book because DA featured a very recommendable review, and I am always eager to try out new and self-published authors.

The plot itself is quite average but highly entertaining, but what really captured me was the author's writing style and talent to characterise the protagonists. The story reads seamlessly and easy and captivated me right from the start,
Rebecca
There were good spots and likable charaters in this book. However, I just couldn't give it a solid 4 stars for basic pet peeves of mine.
The first and most glaringly obvioud was the time line. This author (even the editor apparently) could have desparetly used and outline just to remember her months and dates! The author could never decide if it was spring, summer, or fall!!! It completely drove me nuts when, more than once, the author would say two weeks has passed since they have seen each oth
Christy
This book was difficult for me to review. On one hand it was an enjoyable read. I liked the mystery of this story, Fiona's character, Gideon's grandparents, and the twist of Valente's hidden secret. But, on the other hand, as a romance it fell flat. The relationship between Fiona and Gideon never clicked for me. I never connected to Gideon; too often his redeeming qualities felt forced or underdeveloped. The paranormal element also seemed forced, especially at the end. The climax of the conflict ...more
Heather
Fun little ditty. I really enjoyed this opposites attract story. Good read.
Jessica
Opposites attract in this fun, slightly spooky, romance. Although it did not catch my attention right from the start, I did find myself getting slowly sucked into the world of romantic suspense Gleason created in this story. I enjoyed how the completely different worlds of Fiona and Gideon collide but balance each other out so harmoniously. Story wasn't overly complicated but always had a level of mystery that kept you on your toes. Overall, very much enjoyed this read and would recommend to oth ...more
Alicia
I've now read everything Colleen Gleason has written, and if her Victorian Vampire Slayer series were a 10, the Shop of Shades and Secrets would be a 4.

It was super cute, and I loved the magic, but overall this was much more of a romance story than a super natural tale.

Que the NTTATWWT. Because there isn't. I liked this book just fine.

But when it comes to my novels by Ms. Gleason, I want more vampires, more magic, and more kickass badass women than I do sweet romance.
Susan Nasiri

This author was listed as a new Barbara Michelson, whom I really enjoy her ghost stories. So I went into this book with expectations which is always dangerous, and I was disappointed. This is an okay story if you have actually nothing else to read and there are no Law and Order repeats on TV, otherwise if you want a good ghost story with a little history thrown on the side I suggest you check out Ammie Come Home, or the Walker In The Shadows by Ms. Michaels.
Kitty
This book was a very pleasant surprise. I wasn't familiar with this author, but the sample pulled me in, so I gave it a try. I'm hoping that this will turn out to be the first in a series. I will definitely look for more from this author.

I would call it a light mystery, with a bit of romance, and just a hint of the paranormal. The characters were quirky and interesting, and the book had a good pace. I enjoyed it all the way through.
Lynn
Another author who uses the word 'emotion' instead of making any attempt to describe the characters actual feelings.
The emotion in his eyes/face/voice could be anything (hatred? disgust?).
It just feels lazy and is probably why there doesn't seem to be any real spark between the lead characters.
One of my pet hates and has put me off what might have been an otherwise interesting series.
Teresa
I finished this book only because I wanted to confirm my suspicions from the beginning of the book. I wanted to know more about Gretchen, and the book was disappointing in that respect. The twists were predictable. The book was okay, but I wouldn't recommend it to a friend interested in a good book.
Deb
A Kindle bargain book. I thought it was going to be heavier on the mystery/paranormal side and lighter on the romance but it was the opposite. Fiona inherits an antique shop from a strange old man she has only met once and strange things begin to happen. Entertaining light read with likeable characters.
Victoria
Cotton candy book--light and not filling. A freebie download, if I remember. When I finished it I had to look up to see what genre to consider it. This is what the book cover said: Modern Gothic Romantic Suspense. OK.
Terisa
Hard to believe but this was the first ghost story that I've ever read. I'm giving it 3 stars because the beginning of the book was very slow. I liked the characters though especially Fiona. I liked her quirkiness.
Laurie Collins
This cover is different from the one this book had when I read it, and honestly, the cover made a big difference. The book was cute but predictable and kind of a two in the fun department.
LC
Enjoyed the mystery but I have to admit, the romance didn't really grab me so much. I'm not sure why because I actually liked Gideon being all uptight and dour.
Kelly Gressley
I enjoyed reading this story line but had a hard time reading it sometime it got slow for me and I wanted to keep reading because I wanted to get the good parts.
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
This book kept my attention and I enjoyed myself. My big issue was the baddie was too easy, but the mystery was satisfying- I didn't quite expect that.
Erin Knuth
Decent modern paranormal romance. Didn't like the plot complication of the pregnancy, as that was sorely predictable, as was the ending. Overall a decent read.
Michelle
The mystery was good although I felt like I was left hanging for some of the answers at the end. Also, I wasn't a real fan of the male lead.
Vykki
What a fun read this was a light mystery I really love. I love the tension between the characters. I recommend this book to everyone.
This was disappointing. I was expecting a fun paranormal mystery but this was more soppy romance and very little mystery.
  • Unlucky
  • Catch Me if You Can (ALPHA Squadron, #1)
  • Stormy Montana Sky (Montana Sky, #3)
  • Finding Kate Huntley
  • Fall (Roam, #2)
  • Incorporeal (Soul, #1)
  • Keep Me Ghosted (Sophie Rhodes Ghostly Romance #1)
  • To Die For
  • Kiss Of An Angel
  • Race for Redemption (The Grandmaster's Legacy #2)
  • Dream Lover
  • Dead to the Max (Max Starr, #1)
  • Retribution (Dominion, #3)
  • Angel Be Good
  • Almost A Spinster
  • Spellbound
  • Alice at Heart (Waterlilies, #1)
  • Into the Darkness (Darkness, #1)
Award-winning, NEW YORK TIMES and USA Today bestselling author Colleen Gleason has written more than twenty books for major publishers such as Penguin Group, Harlequin Enterprises, Chronicle Books, and HarperCollins (as Joss Ware). Her books have been translated into seven different languages.

Colleen lives in the Midwest United States where she is fortunate enough to be working on her next book.

S
More about Colleen Gleason...
The Rest Falls Away (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Victoria, #1) Rises The Night (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Victoria, #2) The Bleeding Dusk (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Victoria, #3) The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1) When Twilight Burns (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Victoria, #4)