Start by marking “The Hidden World” as Want to Read:
The Hidden World

The Hidden World (The Tales of Annwn #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  138 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Maeve is disgruntled and depressed when she is sent for the summer to her aunt's house in Newfoundland while her parents try to work out problems in their marriage and careers. But she does enjoy Newfoundland's rustic charms and the closeness she feels there to her favourite grandmother, now dead. Maeve's grandmother was the author of a fantastic book about the secret worl ...more
Published March 1st 1999 by Viking/Allen Lane

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden World

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lorax by Dr. SeussThe Witch Family by Eleanor Estes
Little Witchlings
49th out of 70 books — 16 voters
Alice in Wonderland by Lewis CarrollThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumPrince Caspian by C.S. Lewis
Down the Rabbit Hole in Children's Fantasy
114th out of 140 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Anthony Zappia
Loved this book even though it's aimed at younger readers. If you like stories with a Celtic theme you may want a read of this one. Alison Baird has blended all these different aspects of Celtic history and mythology into this parallel world. Fabulous.
Maeve LaFey
Jan 10, 2015 Maeve LaFey rated it really liked it
Wonderful read, a true page turner. Not a challenging read, but it was steeped in mythology and was an amazing middle grade novel. I loved it as a child and I still love it as an adult. Suspenseful and wonderful till the last page!
Winnie Bosibori
Aug 05, 2014 Winnie Bosibori rated it it was amazing
the book was intriguing, captivating and interesting.its totally a hidden world.
Heather
Apr 19, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this book from my local library at the beginning of high school without knowing that there was a prequel to it. If you read this one, or are reading it, and having difficulty understanding some references, read the prequel and it will explain everything. It's more like the first book than a prequel, but whatever. I've always enjoyed reading stories about faeries ever since I read OR Melling's work when I was a kid, and I'd have to say that Alison Baird comes very close to being on par ...more
Victoria
Nov 19, 2011 Victoria rated it liked it
I read this book when I was in high school, and really enjoyed it. Especially considering I had to read it for school work. I just read it for a second time and it really is a great book.

It's a Canadian book, so it tickles the Canadian pride when you read about a town or city and have been there before.

There are things I didn't like, but only minor things (I think the word"presently" is over used) and overall it's a great story that ended far too quickly.
Siobhan Searle
Feb 09, 2015 Siobhan Searle rated it really liked it
Until discovering this book in my local library I had never heard of it, which is a great shame because it's fantastic! Alison's use of Celtic legends, such as King Arthur; and mythology, mingled in a modern age is artful. I found it not only enjoyable, but inspirational!
Ashton
Jul 24, 2013 Ashton rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book in the world, I don't know why, I just loved Maeve, I guess I could relate to her in some ways? I love the concept of time travel and it takes place in Canada!
Lee
Feb 05, 2015 Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
You usually hear from my generation that they got into reading because of Harry Potter--but for me it was this book. This book really takes me to another world.
Liz
Jul 25, 2011 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book I must say. Definitely something to either read to your kids or pick up at the library for them ( maybe even for yourself for a light read)
Sylvia
Nov 25, 2009 Sylvia rated it liked it
Arthurian legend lovers only, lots of celtic stuff, little story, but not bad.
Donna
Nov 23, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
Another "loved and adored as a kid" book.
Jessica Hollingsworth
Jessica Hollingsworth rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Chelsea Hanna
Chelsea Hanna marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Shay
Shay marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Fan E
Fan E is currently reading it
May 01, 2016
Sil Walker
Sil Walker marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Cora Jackson
Cora Jackson rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Weston
Weston marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Relanni
Relanni marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Sara Rebecca
Sara Rebecca marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Kiravorn
Kiravorn marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
A.Fisher
A.Fisher marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Lilah1432
Lilah1432 marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Emelie Vandenberg
Emelie Vandenberg marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
CarolineMcL
CarolineMcL marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
  • The Chronicles of Faerie (The Chronicles of Faerie, #1-3)
  • The Keeper's Shadow (The Longlight Legacy, #3)
  • The Sword of Straw (The Sangreal Trilogy, #2)
  • Grimbold's Other World
  • Nightfall
  • Double Jeopardy (T*Witches, #6)
  • Legacy (Wicked, #3)
  • Pilgrim of the Sky
  • The Tales of Tanglewood: The Lon Dubh Whistle
  • Valor
  • The Magickers Chronicles, Vol. One (The Magickers, #1-2)
  • The Beguilers
  • Circle of Cranes
  • The Serpent's Egg (The Serpent's Egg Trilogy, #1)
219417
Alison Baird is a resident of Oakville, Ontario, Canada, and a graduate of Trinity College, University of Toronto, where she earned her Honours B.A. in English and her M.A. degree.

As an author she had an early start, publishing her first poems when she was 12. In 1994 her first book, The Dragon's Egg, was published by Scholastic Canada: it was a national bestseller and a Regional Winner of the Si
More about Alison Baird...

The Tales of Annwn (2 books)
  • The Wolves of Woden