Hatching Magic (Hatching Magic, #1)

Hatching Magic (Hatching Magic #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  2,378 ratings  ·  99 reviews
"You never know when magic will hatch...." Poor Theodora Oglethorpe! Her biologist father has gone off to explore the jungles of Laos without her, her best friends are away on vacation, and a long, hot, lonely Boston summer is all she has to look forward to.

Poor Gideon! Wycca, his pet wyvern, has disappeared through a magic hole in time in search of a place to lay her egg....more
Published May 1st 2006 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published May 1st 2003)

Janeen-san
Wycca is a wyvern, the most catlike of dragons. She belongs to the wizard Gideon, a busy twelfth-century wizard. Wycca is about to lay an egg, and none of the places she's searched so far in the castle have seemed just right. Then, all of the sudden, what does she find in the melon patch--but a Bolt Hole through Time itself.

Gideon discovers Wycca is missing. Then he also finds the Bolt Hole. Packing up his trusty familiars and a few spells, he goes through the Hole, certain that his wyvern must...more
Kat Heckenbach
I actually read the sequel to this first, having picked it up at a used book sale unaware that it was part of a series. I enjoyed that book so much I decided I needed to read the first one. (For the record--the second book did a great job of standing on its own.)

As with the other book, I loved the characters in this one. Theodora is easy to relate to and empathize with. She's smart and spunky and realistic. The other characters come to life as well and are distinctive, particularly the Wizard Gi...more
Doris
I enjoyed this story, although it was obviously written for a young audience. The version I have is a Scholastic Book Fair edition, sold only in schools, but was in great condition.

The story line was a little confusing as it switched back and forth between 3 different groups of people, all of whom are moving towards the same goals (even if they don't know it). The main sets are the wizard from the 13th century and the wizard-to-be from the 21st century. They also happen to be the most likable,...more
Willow
I'm in the middle of reading this book and so far, I like it. I love how the main character, whos from the 13th century, refers to 21st century things as magical things when they're just ordinary objects such as dishwashers or stove tops. I agree with some of the other reviews saying its confusing and weird but if you like magic and fantasies then you should give this book a chance. It has a Harry potter ring to it with all the spells, enchantments, and items and it has varying ingredients to po...more
Faith
Theodora's father gets to go explore the jungles of Laos and she is left with her nanny, Mikko. Theodora's best friends, her only friends, are off on vacation, leaving Theodora alone for the entire summer. She thinks this will be the worst summer, but it won't be at all.

Reasons why I like this book-

Reason 1- I couldn't stop reading.

Reason 2- I could imagine what was happening.

Reason 3- It made me wonder, do dragon's really exist?
Ardis
Dec 19, 2007 Ardis rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
This book was boring, and not all that well written. As Casey says, in another review, it's recommended for kids who read and enjoyed Harry Potter, however, it's really for a younger set of readers. I wanted to like it, as it was written by a local author, and I lived in the area the book took place in, but alas, I never recommended this book to any of the kids that came to the children's library I worked in.
Melissa Menten
I read this because one of my daughters picked it up at the library. Just from the book jacket, it is clear that this is a fantasy aimed at younger readers that features "friendly" dragons. Right there, my radar is up, watching for other questionable elements in the story.

I did enjoy the idea of a wizard from the past coming to the future to retrieve his pet, though I was surprised it took so long for them to meet (almost the end of the book). The occult elements (Theodora collects trading card...more
Monika
omg... this book was soooo goood. although i read it in like 3rd grade, this book is a must read for any fantasy lovers!!!
Julian
an another fiction novel to your list. an definite to read
Mason Frey
Hatching Magic
By: Mason Frey

This book takes place in Boston in 2002. The main characters are: Merlin, the wizard of Harvard Square, Gideon, a wizard from the 1200's, Kobold, Gideon's enemy, Wycca, Gideon's wyvern, Theodora Oglethorpe, a young wyvern fanatic, and Mikko, the Oglethorpe's housekeeper and Theodora's friend.
In this book Gideon's pet wyvern, Wycca, accidentally stumbles through a bolt-hole (a portal to another Where and When) while searching for a nest for her egg and ends up in the...more
Keith
I read this book to my daughter. She could read it herself, but still enjoys sharing a story with Dad.

A wizard from Medieval England visits modern-day Boston looking for his lost Wyvern (a dragon-like creature). He receives unexpected help from a 20th century wizard he meets in Harvard Square. Meanwhile, a young girl, stuck at home while her Dad is out of town on a research field trip, has the adventure of her life.

This is a great fit for my daughter, who is still a relative newcomer to the wor...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Ok, there wasn't much plot. And the characters were kinda flat & vague. But the details about magic and wyverns and secret clubs, and even about Boston and Theodora's (Dodo's) family, was fascinating, even to this adult. I can just imagine how I would have loved it were I 10. Also, the drawings of the baby wyvern that opened each chapter were absolutely precious. No credit given, so they must be by Downer herself (?).

--------------

Ok, this is bad. I picked this up the other day getting ready...more
Nikki
This review is long time coming. The years have passed quickly and I'll tell to you my story of "Hatching Magic".

I was but a child, Theodora's age no less or more. And indeed, I loved dragons and magic as much as she, if not moreso. As a gift for good grades at a student led conference, my parents bought me a book at the Scholastic book fair. It was the BEST event of the school year.

I came home that night with a beautiful little book with a wyvern on the cover and inside, a cute little bookmark...more
Anna
I got this advanced reader's copy from my high school librarian for free. Naturally, I was interested because dragons.

But it turned out to be a grave disappointment. The pacing/story telling was horrible. This is a book about a young girl and her encounter with a dragon, and yet she doesn't meet the dragon until 3/4 way through the book (even then, she only meets the chick, not the mother). The slow narrative up until the climax was intolerable - I was not intrigued by any of the hiccups along t...more
Dominiculloa

This story is about a wyvern named Wycca who goes goes into a bolt hole trying to find a good place to lay her egg and ends up in 20th century Boston. Her owner Gideon has to find her before his nemesis Kobold or else Wycca can be used against him, so he goes in the bolt hole after her. It is also about a girl named Theodora Oglethorpe (also called dodo) who loves her wyvern trading cards. Little does she know that wyverns, wizards, and magic are all real and the card that she finds is a real ma...more
Heather
Theodora feels she is old enough to go with her father on his summer research assignment; however, once again she is left at home with her nanny, Mikko. What makes this time even worse than the others is the fact that her friends have all left for the summer, and Theodora has yet to collect the cards to get her into the Wyvernkeeper's Circle. But then Theodora finds a wyvern trump stuck to the bottom of her shoe, and Theodora's summer changes drastically.

In another time and another realm, Gideon...more
Brian To
"Hatching Magic" by Ann Downer is a very good book. It had a complex story line that you probably understand unless you read the entire book from beginning to end. I liked this because it show many different points of view on the same plot. All the characters had different opinions on the same matter. The four different points in this book were Gideon, Kobald, Theodora, and Wycca. Wycca is Gideon's pet wyvern who went missing by going some magic hole in time. In my opinion, I have one problem wi...more
Burningfeather
Maybe one day I'll actually re-read this book. I had started it long ago when I was younger (probably because it had a dragon on it) but I remembered that it had been boring or so. So, this review is basically a reminder for me to read it again to see what I think.
Rae
Much like another tale where a Australian girl goes through a doorway to find herself in New York City, Hatching Magic is the tale of a medieval wizard who goes through a pumpkin patch to find himself in New York. It is also the story of a young girl who finds the wvyern's hatchling in her backyard.

This book is just as delightful and interesting with a young female wizard to be finding out about magic. I loved the pageantry the wizards still attempted in their spells and the issues modern wizard...more
Kristen
A charming little middle-grade book, about a wyvern lost in time, and various acquisition efforts regarding her (and her egg/baby). The main character, Theodora, is bright and quite sensible for an eleven-year-old. I'm not, generally, a fan of "actually there have always been magicians and so on, but secretly," but I'm beginning to think that's more because of exposure to specimens I didn't care for than on any real basis. I liked this one - almost but not actually too cute, and of course I'm a...more
Anaryo
I like the book :)
Amber
Cute book about wyverns, which I knew little about. (Mostly I like to read about dragons, but this was a good bridge-over). Fast read about a girl named Theodora with a penchant for wyverns, and as luck would have it, a newborn falls right in her lap! But she must be on the watch-out for wizards- both the good kind, and the bad. Who can she trust? And what about the demon that has inhabited her caretaker? And her father losing his tenure at the university?
Ryan
Dec 23, 2012 Ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Brittany, Katherine
Delightful. Lots of magic and a wonderful dragon - well, wyvern, but that is fine because she was so cool. Theodora - or Dora - is an awesome 12-year-old who handles her own loss - her mother's death, her father's travel, and the transition that is age 12 - with wonderful stubbornness and a practical approach to life. Enjoyed Gideon's adjustment to Here and Now. Wycca's discovery of chocolate, Febrys' transformation(s)...all of it, really.
Eileen Barrett
I thought the book was pretty good. I really liked Oraborus the most. He is such an intelligent snake and is my favorite character. I read this book happily, but it wasn't very addicting. This is a good read, but not overly fantastic. I really like how it takes place is Massachusetts and such. I haven't read many books with a setting there. I definitely recommend this to others who like dragons, wizards, and things of that variety.
Angie
Feb 01, 2011 Angie rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: younger readers who like magic stories
This is one of those books that you always see on the shelf in the library and think, "Oh, I should read that when I get the chance." In my case, I went and looked at the cover every time I was in the library, but I never checked it out.
So when I finally read it, I was rather surprised at the story. This book has plenty of magic, fortune, and...wyverns...? This may sound strange, but I read it based on it's cover. :o
Brian
An average fantasy about a wizard (and his dark counterpart) who come through a portal to 2002 and shake up the lives of Theodora and her family. It's an interesting twist to bring otherworlders into this one (it's usually the other way around), but the writing didn't create completely believable characters (the 13th century wizards weren't even fazed by modern technology), so I thought it only average.
Tracy
I started reading this with my 9-year-old daughter, but the occult was a little creepy and adult for a children's book. I was just editing out the worst of it while I read to her, but I became increasingly uncomfortable at the nightmarish elements of the story. There are some really charming things here, but ultimately, it wasn't enough to hold our attention or overcome the ick.
Karen
In this young adult fantasy novel a young wizard follows his wyvern (a small dragon) thru a time hole to modern day Cambridge, Massachusetts. Meanwhile, Theodora, a 12-year-old obsessed with wyverns, is having a difficult summer as both her father and her two best friends are away. While you will see some plot points coming, the tale is charmingly told and there are many surprises.
Cynthia
I read this to my son who's 9 and he enjoyed it, but I couldn't stand it and could hardly wait for it to be over. It was very poorly written with very little character or plot development and a very "scatterbrained" feel to it. The story was fun for my son; medieval characters and creatures finding themselves in the 20th century, so it's too bad it wasn't better written.
Mifalda
I spent two years looking for this book. And then, as if by a stroke of magic, I found it! I wish I never did. It was so disappointing. The plot was ok, but the writing was sooo lacking. And, quite frankly, the characters were nearly all undesirable. *shakes head* Maybe my hopes were just too high, but I feel that this book was a major disappointment. Sorry.
  • Dragon's Egg
  • The Monster's Ring (Magic Shop, #1)
  • The Dragon's Eye: The Dragonology Chronicles, Volume One (Ologies)
  • The Dragon of the Dolomites
  • The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)
  • The Dragon in the Sock Drawer (Dragon Keepers, #1)
  • The Silver Door (The Three Doors Trilogy #2)
  • The Dragon of Lonely Island
  • Ivy's Ever After
  • Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'hoole (Guardians of Ga'hoole, #1-3)
  • Dragon Keeper (Dragon Keeper, #1)
  • The Fire Eternal (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #4)
  • Pillage (Pillage, #1)
  • The Dragon's Eye (Erec Rex, #1)
  • The Secret Zoo: Secrets and Shadows (The Secret Zoo, #2)
  • The Divide (The Divide, #1)
  • Of Mice and Magic (Ravenspell, #1)
  • The Day of the Djinn Warriors (Children of the Lamp, #4)
The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2) The Spellkey (Spellkey, #1-3) Elephant Talk: The Surprising Science of Elephant Communication The Spellkey (Spellkey, #1) The Glass Salamander (Spellkey, #2)